• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mindlog said:
I'm just curious. What is it about the XCOM universe that has you excited?

I'm excited about a non-linear squad-based shooter with strong RPG elements and coop. If it turns out to be a inear shooter with aliens colour me unexcited.

CiSTM

Banned
Zachack said:
You keep pretending that you're stating the obvious but there's nothing inherently wrong with the notion of turning X-Com into either a RTS or a FPS. Microprose already turned the series into an RTS with Apocalypse; it's a tiny jump for any half-capable and history-aware developer to see how you could morph X-Com into a Dungeon Keeper.

RTS ? There was also turn based mode in apocalypse and it was way better than the RTS mode.

BTW why do people hate apocalypse ? If you don't count the goofy looking aliens and weapons I think apocalypse was equally good as UFO1&2 or maybe even better. I liked the fact that you didn't only have to worry about the aliens but you also have to worry about different organisations. If you piss someone off they will attack you and it was tons of fun to play against humans for every now and then. Tech tree is pretty amazing in apocalypse, tons of stuff to research. Also there were some awesome shoot outs between the aircrafts and ufos, and I still remember when those big fuckers started to come through the portal and kicking down buildings.

edit: and when your base was attacked and the scientist and engineers were actually units and therefore you had to pay attention when you build your base. Crew quaters close to labs so your scientis won't be killed by cult members or alines when they attack.

edit: ability to send agents was also fucking neat. FUCK! I'm gonna start playing Apocalypse again.

epmode

CiSTM said:
RTS ? There was also turn based mode in apocalypse and it was way better than the RTS mode.
I remember trying the turn-based mode and getting frustrated with it after 20 minutes. It seemed obvious that, for better or worse, the game was designed around the RTS mode.

I finished the game but I didn't like it nearly as much as X-COM 1.

epmode said:
I remember trying the turn-based mode and getting frustrated with it after 20 minutes. It seemed obvious that, for better or worse, the game was designed around the RTS mode.

I finished the game but I didn't like it nearly as much as X-COM 1.

I feel differently. I thought XCom 3 felt like a turn-based game when some shithead at Microprose realized that RTS' are the new hotness and that feature got slapped on at the last minute.

obonicus

More Fun To Compute said:
There are bound to be people who believe or just assume that the elder scrolls games are better in every way with each new release. There's always someone saying something.

Or who think that Morrowind was the best blend of hand-crafted environments and open world exploration.

I love Apocalypse just as much as the first two games, but I also find it almost unplayable in turn-based mode. Playing it in real-time is not only a lot faster, but it also enables other strategies.

@ all the people who recently starting playing X-Com again: Is anyone up for an ironman playthrough? I was thinking of making a thread for it.

CiSTM

Banned
archnemesis said:
I love Apocalypse just as much as the first two games, but I also find it almost unplayable in turn-based mode. Playing it in real-time is not only a lot faster, but it also enables other strategies.

@ all the people who recently starting playing X-Com again: Is anyone up for an ironman playthrough? I was thinking of making a thread for it.

This I will give you. Some of those alien ships with 9 levels were pain in the ass to search in TBS mode.

WTF is ironman playthrough?
I'm gonna start playing Apocalypse today :)

No reloading when you mess up. If a soldier gets killed, or a base is lost then you just have to deal with it and try to continue without going back to an earlier save game.

CiSTM

Banned
archnemesis said:
No reloading when you mess up. If a soldier gets killed, or a base is lost then you just have to deal with it and try to continue without going back to an earlier save game.
:lol Too hard for me, I'll pass.

archnemesis said:

Sounds like fun. I started a few days ago when this news hit, but I'd forgotten so much. I'd be willing to start again and participate in a thread like that. GAF Plays - XCOM series. Or whatever.

In X-Com my game always kind of fell apart once the greys (sectoids?) started psychically assaulting my troops. I know you could train them to be more resistant to it but I never really got the hang of it. The last 1/3 of the game was fairly terrifying as one by one my soldiers would either panic and drop their weapon, go crazy and start firing indiscriminately, or drop off the grid as the aliens got complete control of their minds. =\

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ZombieSupaStar said:
i would say dragon age (on pc) is the perfect collision of real time combat (for the dudebros) but can also be paused and strategized.

Augh no. Boring combat is boring. Real time with pause is a shadow of turn based combat in strategy and and lacks the action of real time.

Jarate

Banned
t8u5qg.jpg

I'll still but it :/

Mindlog

subversus said:
I'm excited about a non-linear squad-based shooter with strong RPG elements and coop. If it turns out to be a inear shooter with aliens colour me unexcited.

Fair enough with the gameplay mechanics. Without death I'm still on the - side of things.

CiSTM said:
BTW why do people hate apocalypse ?

I also liked Apocalypse. I love RTS games, but I played it in turn-based mode.

speaking of
I also enjoy Space Sims. Never played Interceptor.
I also enjoy FPS/SS games. Never played Enforcer/Alliance whatever it was called.

archnemesis said:

It's about time for a new playthrough for me as well :D It doesn't feel like a real playthrough without at least several dozen casualties.

What mods does everyone use? I have an edited UFO Extender. I just used it for PS1 music, auto-sell factories, and a few other fixes.

Neuromancer said:
In X-Com my game always kind of fell apart once the greys (sectoids?) started psychically assaulting my troops. I know you could train them to be more resistant to it but I never really got the hang of it. The last 1/3 of the game was fairly terrifying as one by one my soldiers would either panic and drop their weapon, go crazy and start firing indiscriminately, or drop off the grid as the aliens got complete control of their minds. =\

Catching the Sectoid Leader/Commander ASAP is pretty important. Almost as important as getting the Navigator.

Then the game gets too easy, because 2 psi-Rambos can kill everything on the map in one or two turns.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I admit, I've never played X-COM before. I've seen an LPer named Kikoskia on Youtube play a bunch of the games and thought they looked really great and I regret not playing them at the time.

The trouble is as an FPS which from the miniscule amount of info we know has very very little to do thematically or gameplay wise with the original games, why go with the X-COM name anyway? It seems a bit pointless dredging that name out from the vaults and slapping it onto another FPS, even moreso considering the Bioshock team have made a pretty good job of building a profitable and critically successful business this generation out of an original FPS IP, however similar they may be to System Shock and all.

Mindlog said:
I also enjoy Space Sims. Never played Interceptor.
I also enjoy FPS/SS games. Never played Enforcer/Alliance whatever it was called.
Alliance is the canceled squad based FPS. Both Interceptor and Enforcer were fun distractions back when they were first released, but they've both aged horribly.

Mindlog said:
What mods does everyone use? I have an edited UFO Extender. I just used it for PS1 music, auto-sell factories, and a few other fixes.
Here's the GAF Plays: X-Com thread. I always play vanilla, but when looking at the descriptions I'm tempted to add the Heavy Laser and Range Based Accuracy mods.

Mindlog said:
Catching the Sectoid Leader/Commander ASAP is pretty important. Almost as important as getting the Navigator.

Then the game gets too easy, because 2 psi-Rambos can kill everything on the map in one or two turns.
Ah. Well I was able to finish the game anyway but it was a harrowing experience.

Acosta

When are we going to get some info, anyone knows? I want to know the info before I start to insult 2K execs and their families.

arakyd

Neo Member
From the strategycore.co.uk forums:
Yesterday CanardPC (a French newspaper) published a first look about this new XCOM game.

I'm reading the article right now so this will be short :

- No world map : There's a USA map (with a 50s' style) for selecting the missions.
- Research & production : yes.
- Base management : yes.
- Team management : yes.
- Choice of the next missions : yes.
- No control of your teammate during the mission (in the demo, this may change)

It seems like you can goof around in your base between the mission (in first person view).

EDIT :

- The demo was running on an XBox360.
- You play as the chief of operation of the base between the mission.
- The choice of the played mission will impact the game.
- In the demo, lots of area of the base were off limits.
- During the missions you can take photos (research ?).
- The game is due for release in a little more than a year.

Some people have been dropping hints that the press release was underplaying how the game does have more X-COM like features. A Brutal Legendesque "don't tell the xbox owners that it's a strategy game" type move maybe.

X-COM to me is still a turn based tactical game at it's heart and I just don't want a shooter. When all the very negative people have been won over I will still be a bastion of indifference. :lol

nexen

AstroLad said:
Perfect, all we need now are Wasteland and Ultima VII FPS.

Sold.

slightly o/t:
Did anyone else have issues with the dynamic difficulty in X-Com?.

As soon as I researched certain items in that game the aliens would always bring bigger guns to the party. It sucked a lot of the fun out for me. Whenever I researched new tech it felt like an invisible little countdown started where I'd have to properly equip my squad or get forced into an unwinnable situation.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
arakyd said:
From the strategycore.co.uk forums:
Yesterday CanardPC (a French newspaper) published a first look about this new XCOM game.

I'm reading the article right now so this will be short :

- No world map : There's a USA map (with a 50s' style) for selecting the missions.
- Research & production : yes.
- Base management : yes.
- Team management : yes.
- Choice of the next missions : yes.
- No control of your teammate during the mission (in the demo, this may change)

It seems like you can goof around in your base between the mission (in first person view).

EDIT :

- The demo was running on an XBox360.
- You play as the chief of operation of the base between the mission.
- The choice of the played mission will impact the game.
- In the demo, lots of area of the base were off limits.
- During the missions you can take photos (research ?).
- The game is due for release in a little more than a year.

Sort of want...?

Other than what may or may not be a lack of group/squad orders in the field, this sounds pretty cool...as long as you don't expect traditional X-COM. Given how lacking the variations in FPS games there are today, I suppose that this is better than nothing at all or more of the same. :shrug

Acosta

That sounds fairly interesting (if well executed), if I'm not going to get the game I want, at least here is hope is interesting. I'm curious about the "team management", I'll wait for more information.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
icarus-daedelus said:
Supposedly this is what Deus Ex 3 will be like. edit: except for coop.
I don't think Deus Ex wil be squad-based, except for enemy squads as they'll have a leader whom you'll be able to kill and send other squad members into panic and dissaray.

The more I think about it, the more I like the sound of this title. Though, I still want to somehow have command control in the field, it should be interesting to see how squad member picks play out when you don't have control over them inside of the mission. Might make the actions of your character even more important and varied if all you can do is act on things from your perspective on the ground. Could be a really good thing if you're looking at trying to spice up FPS gameplay and keep it from just being the usual maneuver and shoot template when it comes to the in-game action.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
arakyd said:

crow.jpg

Go at it, boys. I already had my plate and it tastes delicious.

More Fun To Compute said:
Some people have been dropping hints that the press release was underplaying how the game does have more X-COM like features. A Brutal Legendesque "don't tell the xbox owners that it's a strategy game" type move maybe
Honestly, it sounds more like an action adventure than an actual FPS. Still no X-Com, but this is so much better than just another shooter. Let's hope there is more adventure than action; one of the pillars of X-Com is that aliens are extremely lethal, so it wouldn't make much sense to kill them in droves.

Xater

Funky Papa said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Madridexpo/Misc/crow.jpg[IMG]

Go at it, boys. I already had my plate and it tastes [I]delicious[/I].[/QUOTE]

Way too early for that. Let me see this stuff, then maybe.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Xater said:
Way too early for that. Let me see this stuff, then maybe.
There is base management. Enough for me to taste the crow. Still, I'm waiting for the first ingame videos and impressions.

Acosta said:
I'm curious about the "team management", I'll wait for more information.
My wild guess here would be that it will be something like 1. choose the soldiers to bring with you and 2. choose their weapons/armour.

The game now looks fairly interesting.
They should have gone the steampunk route instead of the '50s/Roswell one (if the style of the map is an hint about the setting), if you ask me, with a "Grand Finale" on Mars like in Martian Dreams. :lol

Versipellis said:
They should have gone the steampunk route instead of the '50s/Roswell one (if the style of the map is an hint about the setting), if you ask me, with a "Grand Finale" on Mars like in Martian Dreams. :lol

Oh, wow, I can say that I am at least happy that they didn't go with the steampunk thing. Not only am I not a fan but it is totally inappropriate IMO.

If they want to stick with retro futurism then the influence is obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjaAiwro-og

But the headache of explaining that it isn't actually "kiddy japanime crap" to some people would be too much.

Nimyh

Banned
This is sounding way better. I still don't get why you're an "FBI agent" though. Lets hope they have plenty to show at E3.

Nimyh said:
This is sounding way better. I still don't get why you're an "FBI agent" though. Lets hope they have plenty to show at E3.
Dude I agree. It always rankles me when I have to play as an FBI agent. Condemned was OK though.

Jintor

Nimyh said:

Who else the eff was investigating aliens back in the 50s?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nimyh said:

Perhaps you start as an FBI agent, stumble upon some alien shit going down, handle yourself well and then get recruited into X-COM?

Ok that sounds like MIB... bleh.

Top Bottom