• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
bhlaab said:
Take off your rose tinted glasses, maybe you'll realize that steak didn't taste quite as good as you seem to remember anyway.

I'm eating the original steak now, there are no rose tinted glasses man, it's just a brilliant ga... steak.

bhlaab

Sinatar said:
I'm eating the original steak now, there are no rose tinted glasses man, it's just a brilliant ga... steak.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Who can really say?

Personally, I'm too much of a noncommital brand whore to have an opinion until a collective zeitgeist pushes me in one direction or another.

ToxicAdam

Hah .. I got linked to this thread from Bluesnews.com.

I retract my statement about being cautiously optimistic about this game. It's not going to have any depth at all. Might as well be a fan-made, Bioshock mod.

Since no one can post a scan or anything, this image from a Japanese Iron Giant fan site will have to suffice:

the_iron_giant_3.jpg

This is more or less the aesthetic 2K Marin seems to be going for in its character design.

LQX

Neuromancer said:

I say that because they were in dramatic poses. They showed the two detective and you can tell they were investigating some crime scene. Not ever screen was with them holding guns looking bad ass. I guess when they release the screen shots you will see what I mean.

edit- Just noticed you also got OXM. Regardless it all looked very dramatic to me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
From a Skyranger to a Studebaker.

That looks really really awful. Why replace actual aliens with black tar? Tar isn't freaky.

I must have missed the point where they explain why exactly did they have to smack the XCom label on this game. It seems different enough to find its own place in the market.
Apparently they're not even using the lore of the original game, then why?

most obvious answer: more buzz > more hype > more $$$

(did they use those red switches, back in the 50s?)

Sinatar said:
From a Skyranger to a Studebaker.

That looks really really awful. Why replace actual aliens with black tar? Tar isn't freaky.
I don't know but the whole thing's really bumming me out.

Versipellis said:
I must have missed the point where they explain why exactly did they have to smack the XCom label on this game. It seems different enough to find its own place in the market.
Apparently they're not even using the lore of the original game, then why?
It's weird. Those of us who were around for X-Com back in the day are going to be irritated by what looks like the complete lack of similarity, and those who weren't probably don't care about the name. It's a really strange move.

epmode

This... is not what I hoped for in an X-COM sequel.

Is this how the NMA lunatics felt when the first Fallout 3 screenshots were revealed?

I still think Fallout 3 handled it pretty well, especially coming from a new developer. But it's much easier to convert Fallout to an FPS, considering that Fallout only deals with a lone player character, not a huge (expendable) X-COM death squad.

White Man

I thought there were supposed to be some X-Com pics in here??

Oh well, at least I don't have to get my hopes up. In stores they should just through alphabetizing their products and just put this next to Shadowrun.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Wait where are the sectoids? That's like the most basic enemy! Are we really gonna fight black oil in the first few missions? if so i retract my previous statements of hopefulness. This game maybe cool on its own right but don't call it X-com because it's not X-com.

White Man

Gexecuter said:
Wait where are the sectoids? That's like the most basic enemy! Are we really gonna fight black oil in the first few missions? if so i retract my previous statements of hopefulness. This game maybe cool on its own right but don't call it X-com because it's not X-com.

It's puzzling. Only the first 2 X-Com games were great. Apocalypse was ehhhh, and the other non-strat games blew ass and bombed hard.

What's puzzling is that X-Com is an Old Man PC game. It's nearly 20 years old. The name means nothing--heck, the name meant nothing when they flushed it with the last 2 games. This is like a Dante's Inferno-esque example of bad naming. Is there going to be a Legend of Kyrandia kart racer next year?

bhlaab

White Man said:
It's puzzling. Only the first 2 X-Com games were great. Apocalypse was ehhhh, and the other non-strat games blew ass and bombed hard.

What's puzzling is that X-Com is an Old Man PC game. It's nearly 20 years old. The name means nothing--heck, the name meant nothing when they flushed it with the last 2 games. This is like a Dante's Inferno-esque example of bad naming. Is there going to be a Legend of Kyrandia kart racer next year?

A brand is a brand is a brand is a brand. That's how the industry seems to think. Your generic third person war shooter not really finding an identity? How about we slap 50 Cent onto it? Yeah, that oughta work.

I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't even start out as an X-Com game.

DennisK4 said:
Really? Really?

Yes, really. Not a technological showpiece, obviously, but it looks really charming, in my opinion.

Sinatar said:
Why replace actual aliens with black tar? Tar isn't freaky.

Could it be that there will be at least a few different enemies in the game? I know that sounds like crazy talk, but hey...

Jintor

They're still early in development, although if you hate the art style there's no hope for you and you might as well go set up No Sectoids Allowed right now

DiscoJer

bhlaab said:
A brand is a brand is a brand is a brand. That's how the industry seems to think. Your generic third person war shooter not really finding an identity? How about we slap 50 Cent onto it? Yeah, that oughta work.

I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't even start out as an X-Com game.

Well, as many in this thread have pointed out, there's a very close similarity to the X-files. At last on the surface. FBI agents battling aliens.

That is probably why they used the X-com name. Similar enough it might get some recognition. You see that sometimes in other products, especially laundry detergents.

Dennis

Banned
Jintor said:
They're still early in development, although if you hate the art style there's no hope for you and you might as well go set up No Sectoids Allowed right now
If it turns out as good as No Mutants Allowed, sign me up.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Destroy All Humans: Now You Play As The Humans Edition?

Gorgon

Well, I'm liking it quite a lot. Is certainly NOT what I would expect and want from a proper new X-COM game and it certainly should have been a separate new IP. It's pretty clear they're just exploiting the X-COM name with this game.

BUT, I'm liking what I see, no doubt. I'm far more interested in this than any other upcoming FPS. In fact, this is the only upcoming FPS I'm interest in :lol

With more than a decade of disappointing sequels or spinoffs, I'm not seeing quite why so many are so down on this...like it's the first potential drop from greatness or something. Anyway, if you can simply put aside expectations that come from the name, this sounds and looks pretty cool. If they can manage to include network co-op and squad control similar to the PC and old console versions of Space Hulk, I think this could well be amazing.

Haunted

I actually think this looks interesting from the screens. 1950s and 60s are underused decades in gaming.

Should've named it differently, though.

Haunted said:
I actually think this looks interesting from the screens. 1950s and 60s are underused decades in gaming.

After Bioshock, Resistance and Mafia series....? Eh, not so much.

2 out of those 3 are 'interestingly' enough owned by 2K.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
highluxury said:
After Bioshock, Resistance and Mafia series....? Eh, not so much.

2 out of those 3 are 'interestingly' enough owned by 2K.

Resistance really doesn't make much use of it's time period and BioShock is art deco (and very much inspired by the 20's/30's), while this seems to be more in line with the anti-communism propaganda from the 50's and 60's.

Edit: this actually reminds me of the artwork by Chris Van Allsburg, a children's book author and illustrator.

Haunted said:
Yeah, I think so...it's a lot more refreshing to see something like this than another damned gritty-looking, hyper realistic-looking title in a sea of of them. I want to have some visual variety and artwork from the era gives them plenty of license to work with that never-was 50s/60s classic look without having to continue to fall in line with a visual homogenization that unfortunately afflicts most non-family fare-type games this generation. I've been visually fatigued and rather bored by that seemingly universal aim for that photo-real/movie-like look of your average modern game. I mean, there's a whole box of crayons there and so many people just want to spit out facsimiles of reality.

Should've named it differently, though.
Yeah, but considering how old those titles are, I'm sure it's not going to draw many people for the value the old name had anyway...not after so many failed followups post TftD. I mean, we're talking about a franchise that hasn't really lived up to the originals for almost fifteen years now. When Apocalypse was released, and that first sting of things not being quite what they should be was felt, it was all over... At some point, the name simply loses its original value.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
As I never heard of x-Com before this game, I have to say that I like what I see.
Endless said:

Especially the fire and disintegration effect. It has a very appealing style to me.

I don't understand the backlash from those screens. We already knew it would be an FPS - what did you guys expect?

Besides, seems the core elements are still there...

2K refuse to be drawn on any multiplayer details, but at least they’re not denying it won’t happen. So, is this XCOM really our beloved X-COM? “We’re forging a new mythology, but what we’re retaining is the core elements that made X-COM X-COM,” says Pelling. “The strategy, the base, the research, agents, being in charge, and dealing with this problem as you see fit. You are the one that’s driving the investigation – those elements remain but we want to create a new world with a new set of enemies that’s genuinely compelling for players to learn more about.”

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Koopakiller said:
I don't understand the backlash from those screens. We already knew it would be an FPS - what did you guys expect?

People just can't get over this.

The game is shaping up into what I was expecting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jarate said:
I love the aesthetic, and the idea, but please don't call it X-Com, just make it an homage to x-com
It is an homage to X-Com. It looks like they want to do justice to the franchise but isometric turn based strategy games aren't mainstream enough to justify a big budget. So this is the compromise.

Dennis

Banned
Koopakiller said:
I don't understand the backlash from those screens.
I can only speak for myself.

I think the graphics are poor, I don't like the art style and I have trouble seeing what connects this game to X-Com, except the name.

DennisK4 said:
I can only speak for myself.

I think the graphics are poor, I don't like the art style and I have trouble seeing what connects this game to X-Com, except the name.
I agree with everything DennisK4 said. As a personal aside, I find the FBI agent angle irritating.

Top Bottom