• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Nimyh

Banned
Hey guys, read the GamesRadar preview. It sheds a lot of light on this game. I think it might even do justice to its name with this direction, since the management elements are still there.

bhlaab

SapientWolf said:
It is an homage to X-Com. It looks like they want to do justice to the franchise but isometric turn based strategy games aren't mainstream enough to justify a big budget. So this is the compromise.

In the interest of compromise, we've completely thrown everything out and made it from the ground up on our own terms.

epmode

Nimyh said:
I think it might even do justice to its name with this direction, since the management elements are still there.
The base management was just something awesome you did when you weren't playing the actual game. Sigh.
bhlaab said:
In the interest of compromise, we've completely thrown everything out and made it from the ground up on our own terms.
Exactly.

FrankT

DennisK4 said:
I can only speak for myself.

I think the graphics are poor, I don't like the art style and I have trouble seeing what connects this game to X-Com, except the name.

As I said from the OXM preview it looks early and they do say it is early in development. I do however like the art style.

FrankT

Nirolak said:
Well, it's been in development since sometime between January 2007 and April 2008 and it's built on an existing engine, so I wouldn't necessarily expect large scale upgrades from this.

I'm certainly not expecting that. I do however expect the final product to look better than those pics however.

Edit: I should say this too the first time I saw the pics in the article the first thing that popped in my mind was this looks early and it shows.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jtyettis said:
I'm certainly not expecting that. I do however expect the final product to look better than those pics however.
Oh, absolutely. Most of the upgrades to visuals do come in the last few months of development.

Swifty

subversus said:
What's problem with that?! Personal grudge against FBI? :) CIA would suit you better?
My own problem with it? You're an FBI agent and not an XCOM agent. The game is titled XCOM. :lol

Sounds kind of cool. Like a prequel to the XCom universe. I can see why diehard XCom fans would be pissed, but at the same time its not like we are getting this instead of a traditional Xcom game. If anything, if this game is successful it could lead to a more traditional sequel being released on PSN/XBLA/iPad or something.

bhlaab

Ninja Scooter said:
If anything, if this game is successful it could lead to a more traditional sequel being released on PSN/XBLA/iPad or something.

Hahaha, no it won't. If it's successful then that lowers the chances of seeing a real x-com game ever again

Everytime a new videogame is announced, it almost certainly has to do with a fucking alien invasion that needs to be stopped with a gun in your hand. And everytime nerds whine because of some trivial stuff, that almost certainly is that the new alien invasion doesn't appeal their alien invasion tastes.

Now my two cents are: anti-communist propaganda and UFO paranoia\conspiracies in 50s and 60s in america are finally a small step forward from the total bullshit nerdiness of something like aliens-like-insects-drooling-and-screaming-let's-rocketlauncher-them-home Resistance, so please, let's welcome this game.

Welcome, game. Welcome, more subtle, satirical, alien invasion game.

Really, videogame nerds, pretty please. So that one day even mainstream videogames will offer more interesting themes and contexts, and oh god, variety.

:lol

bhlaab said:
Hahaha, no it won't. If it's successful then that lowers the chances of seeing a real x-com game ever again

if its some sort of huge hit you don't think there is a good chance 2K will mine the archives and start rereleasing older Xcom games? Or even making newer ones in older style? Takes a lot less resources to create a $10 Iphone app/game than a $60 full retail release.

subversus said:
What's problem with that?! Personal grudge against FBI? :) CIA would suit you better?
I work with people from the FBI all the time, there's really no mystique there for me. But yeah like Swifty said, I expected to at least play as an X-Com operative.

Timekiller said:
Really, videogame nerds, pretty please. So that one day even mainstream videogames will offer more interesting themes and contexts, and oh god, variety.

Breaking news: video game nerd calls out other video game nerds on popular video game message board: news at 11!

bhlaab

Timekiller said:
Everytime a new videogame is announced, it almost certainly has to do with a fucking alien invasion that needs to be stopped with a gun in your hand. And everytime nerds whine because of some trivial stuff, that almost certainly is that the new alien invasion doesn't appeal their alien invasion tastes.

Now my two cents are: anti-communist propaganda and UFO paranoia\conspiracies in 50s and 60s in america are finally a small step forward from the total bullshit nerdiness of something like aliens-like-insects-drooling-and-screaming-let's-rocketlauncher-them-home Resistance, so please, let's welcome this game.

Damn straight we're about to get a game that finally tackles its subjects with subtlety and satire

*Game starts with a gigantic monolith blowing a lot of shit up*
*Retreads ironic juxtaposition that Fallout covered in 1997*

Ninja Scooter said:
if its some sort of huge hit you don't think there is a good chance 2K will mine the archives and start rereleasing older Xcom games? Or even making newer ones in older style? Takes a lot less resources to create a $10 Iphone app/game than a $60 full retail release.

The old ones are already on steam.
They aren't going to make any new ones for the PC
Making a new one for the iphone would guarantee a loss of depth

Timekiller said:

Read the fucking thread. Nobody is even slightly upset that this game isn't like Resistance so WTF are you on about?

jim-jam bongs said:

Read the fucking thread. Nobody is even slightly upset that this game isn't like Resistance so WTF are you on about?

No dude, i'm just saying that a lot of people whine because of some trivial details, and mostly because their sacred XCOM nerd memories are insulted by this - while i agree that we would have preferred an announcement of a new Xcom true to the originals PLUS this one, i had to add that "this" one, still a mostly commercial operation, is a ton times more promising then "the usual" commercial operation (i picked Resistance as a model of that plastic "usual") for way more imortant reasons.

It also presents a smarter look at the theme then the old nerdy presentation of the first historical X-Coms, that were a magical experience thanks to their incredible system, but still a poor look at the subject and context nonetheless. Shouldn't this topic raise curiosity through discussions instead of boring one-line non-argumented opinions?

In my book then, "subtlety" and "satire" should start kicking away that "mass nerdy stiffness" that usually encourages the "superficial exploitation" of the themes of "aliens" and "invasion". Where have all the old sophisticated wise nerds gone, :lol , that gets passionate over a new intriguing concept, that develop theories over Alan Clarke-ish hooks, instead of acting fanatically to defend cheese for masses, like it happened\happens with Star Wars or Lost Season 6? This is the year of District 9 (about fucking time), let's just skip the "where's my Star Wars scifi gone, you disrespectful pagans" and the "oh Avatar gives me a hard on, more graphical Gearesque in-yo-face please". :lol

Basically, the real comparison here is not really this XCOM with the old X-Com, but this XCOM and the usual meal we're served. Compared to the usual stuff, even this looks like videojeux d'essay :lol :lol

And the thread is lik 85% whine over details, or pure, plain, useless "i don't like it" posts, not game discussion.
Your last post is a nerdy post with Simpsons gifs to express your loss of interest for god's sake :lol
I'll get back to the topic, you do what you want dude.

-The level zones are huge, but if you want to poke your head into just one house, find a bit of intel, and go home unscathed, you can do that. The tradeoff, though, is that you lose out on other potential intelligence hidden around the area, and crucially, you’ll miss any opportunities to gather precious Elerium. Eventually clarifies lead designer Ed Orman ominously, “You do have to leave no matter what. “

i personally find this incredibly intriguing. Exploration looks like a key point in the game, it's a mysterious event that took place and you need infos but alien presence raises with your presence, so the cool aspect of this particular design is that you have to choose quickly where you want to explore cause you probably ain't gonna have the opportunity to explore everything . If they pace this right, it will be great, and it won't turn into a "light up every dark part of the map" kind of exploration. Nice concept.

Alos: got a Twilight Zone vibe from this:

-For now though it’s FBI cohorts Frank and Jonas providing the extra eyes and ears as we park our boat like cruiser at the end of the residential zone’s cul de sac. Working our way back up the street on foot, we make our first strange observation; the streets are completely empty. Where is everyone? It’s sunset sure, -Northern Arizona’s gorgeous early twilight sky is rendered beautifully by the same Unreal Engine 3 tech that powered Bioshock-but hardly late enough for any sort of curfew to have kicked into effect.

Ninja Scooter said:

Making a new old-XCOM with the new-XCOM available will just confuse the consumer, and in worst case scenario sour the new-XCOM fans on the brand, because the old style of gameplay is not what they associate with the XCOM name.

tiff

Banned
Koopakiller said:
Besides, seems the core elements are still there...
Saying the core elements are there doesn't mean that they're there. It's going to be dumbed down to hell.

epmode

Timekiller said:
*the most annoying post I've read all week*
No one gives a shit about X-COM's narrative tone or historical context. We're disappointed because this game apparently plays nothing at all like the first two games, which are still the best SRPGs ever made.
Timekiller said:
"this" one, still a mostly commercial operation, is a ton times more promising then "the usual" commercial operation (i picked Resistance as a model of that plastic "usual")
Timekiller said:
In my book then, "subtlety" and "satire" should start kicking away that "mass nerdy stiffness" that usually encourages the "superficial exploitation" of the themes of "aliens" and "invasion". Where have all the old sophisticated wise nerds gone, :lol , that gets passionate over a new intriguing concept, that develop theories over Alan Clarke-ish hooks, instead of acting fanatically to defend cheese for masses, like it happened\happens with Star Wars or Lost Season 6? This is the year of District 9 (about fucking time), let's just skip the "where's my Star Wars scifi gone, you disrespectful pagans" and the "oh Avatar gives me a hard on, more graphical Gearesque in-yo-face please". :lol
What are you talking about? Are you sure you're in the right thread? :lol
:lol :lol !
Timekiller said:
And the thread is lik 85% whine over details, or pure, plain, useless "i don't like it" posts, not game discussion.
This is relevant at least. Incorrect, but relevant.

epmode said:
No one gives a shit about X-COM's narrative tone or historical context. We're disappointed because this game apparently plays nothing at all like the first two games, which are still the best SRPGs ever made.

Noone of people like you doesn't give a shit, and i can see why :lol

Also: You're disappointed because this game, a different concept, doesn't play like the old game, another different concept? Wow, that was enlightening :lol :lol :lol :lol (oh the name. Right. I see what they did there. :lol )

And last: still personal attacks and not a single response to the game discussion parts. I probably touched an open cut with my anti-nerds words, did i? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm glad I'm not blinded by nostalgia on this one. Damn near was on Max Payne 3, but I just learned to view it as a 3rd person shooter not tied to one of my favorite series and I got excited again.

quit being such a nerd Timekiller, seriously go outside, nerd.

smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif

Mindlog

ZombieSupaStar said:

smug.gif

Monocle20Man-1.jpg

mmm yes dapper, gentlemen, and, theme, discussion. Only please,

I'd like to hear a c/d about the Firaxis rumor. I'm wondering how they decided on the reveal(s). Was it purely scheduling or part of a calculated brand revitalization?

ZombieSupaStar said:

smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif
smug.gif

I'm sorry, it's all my fault, i'll appeal to your patience guys. I'll ask the game company to respect the aliens with a robe on and be conservative at all costs on the game design if they take that name. I'll never say a single thing about nerds anymore, and i'll get some zombie stuff and predict the next console war in a sarcastic way out of respect :lol

But now, seriously: it's all my fault, i just thought that a bit of irony with conservative people is what breaks the ice for a dialogue about something new, or at least that's what i thought when i went to vote against conservatives at the last elections and i got scoped angrily - it didn't work either. Seriously guys, again i'm just kidding, take me easy and with a grain of irony if you want to deal more irony yourself in my direction. I took it, but i took it easy and i thought that was pretty clear from the amount of laughing emotes

On topic again:

Does the game features only\mostly combat in those "stages" besides taking a bunch of pictures? Nothing else other then combat?

bhlaab

Stallion Free said:
I'm glad I'm not blinded by nostalgia on this one. Damn near was on Max Payne 3, but I just learned to view it as a 3rd person shooter not tied to one of my favorite series and I got excited again.

I have never played an X-Com game because strategy games aren't my thing.

But some things you should get pissy about just based on principle.

Swifty

Stallion Free said:
Max Payne 1 was a third person shooter. Max Payne 2 was a third person shooter. Max Payne 3 will be a third person shooter.

XCOM is known primarily as a strategy game series. The next XCOM will be a first person shooter.

Thanks for trying to empathize though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Swifty said:
Max Payne 1 was a third person shooter. Max Payne 2 was a third person shooter. Max Payne 3 will be a third person shooter.

XCOM is known primarily as a strategy game series. The next XCOM will be a first person shooter.

Thanks for trying to empathize though.

If you are a fan of the Max Payne series, the new direction they took was probably more offensive than what XCOM did by switching to FPS.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bhlaab said:
I have never played an X-Com game because strategy games aren't my thing.

But some things you should get pissy about just based on principle.
See, not even GAFfers like strategy games. What's the big deal?

i think the real issue here is we dont even have a current gen, (or past gen, or past past gen) xcom 1 level replacement.

and the 1 shot of actually having that replacement, is now Bioshock: Men In Black Edition. Imagine if the last good 2d fighter was Street Fighter 2 CE, and every one since was rise of the robots, and then a new SF game gets greenlit and its a dancing game. :lol

ZombieSupaStar said:
i think the real issue here is we dont even have a current gen, (or past gen, or past past gen) xcom 1 level replacement.

Sure we do, on PC and even handhelds. They might not be as good as the first two X-Com games, but I'm not sure anything but a very faithful remake could satisfy the hardcore fanbase anyway.

If you want a new X-Com inspired game, maybe you should take a look at Xenonauts. It's an indie game currently in development, there's a chance it will turn out good. In this day and age, that's probably the most X-Com fans can reasonably hope for.

Personally, I never got into X-Com games (although I did adore Incubation which was somewhat inspired by them) so I don't have those memories holding me back from looking forward to this new take on the series. Bring it on, I says.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Sure we do, on PC and even handhelds. They might not be as good as the first two X-Com games, but I'm not sure anything but a very faithful remake could satisfy the hardcore fanbase anyway.

If you want a new X-Com inspired game, maybe you should take a look at Xenonauts. It's an indie game currently in development, there's a chance it will turn out good. In this day and age, that's probably the most X-Com fans can reasonably hope for.

Personally, I never got into X-Com games (although I did adore Incubation which was somewhat inspired by them) so I don't have those memories holding me back from looking forward to this new take on the series. Bring it on, I says.

the ufo series is awful. just awful

id rather play jagged alliance 2 which strove for the worst ui ive ever used, than those.

KTallguy

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:

This is not true. I would be totally happy with a remake ala Valkyrie Chronicles, or even if they mixed up the mechanics and made it more actionish. The spiritual successors are in general pretty poor quality (although I haven't tried the GBA game), but they are mostly indie projects, and they have no vision to improve the original... vision :)

I'm burning ... whatever sacrifice I need to burn, in support of the Fireaxis effort to revive the PC franchise (please god let the rumors be true).

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Rebelstar: Tactical Command is okayish. If I was like 9 and had never played a TB tactical game before I would probably love it but it isn't X-COM.

UFO: Aftermath was just a bad game. UFO: Extraterrestrials was much better but still falls short of the mark. There are plenty of mutliplayer fan efforts as well as laser squad nemesis but TBH I only really want a good single player game, preferably one with a proper campaign mode.

A Chaos fan has more and better alternative options than a UFO fan but UFO is a more complicated design.

Did any of you hating on the UFO series play the third iteration, Afterlight? It's vastly improved from the first game and it was one of my favorite games of 2007.

archnemesis said:
Did any of you hating on the UFO series play the third iteration, Afterlight? It's vastly improved from the first game and it was one of my favorite games of 2007.

Oh man, do I have to play it? From gameplay videos I can't say that I like the look of it at all. Looks more like Syndicate than UFO to me but a sort of slowmo Syndicate at that. I really tried to like the first one but there wasn't really anything about it that inspired me or was anything more than just about adequate.

Well, maybe it's just me. I love the real-time gameplay in X-Com: Apocalypse and when the IP holder refuses to make any real sequels, I'll settle for cheap Czech knock-offs. Aftermath is bad, Aftershock is decent, and finally Aftershock managed to raise the bar to good or great.

If it is only you who likes those games then I bet they are not in a very good position financially. Czech koruna can't be that weak of a currency.

I played Apocalypse in real time mode once but it felt wrong and dirty. After that I only let it play in turn based mode.

Ikael

Also: You're disappointed because this game, a different concept, doesn't play like the old game, another different concept? Wow, that was enlightening
We are dissappointed because they changed the whole freaking genre of the game, because we will incarnate a shitty FBI agent instead of the boss in charge of a secret and powerful organization and because albeit this game might have qualities of their own, they are none of the ones that made the series great yet they needed to use the Xcom name for what? In order to archieve what? Let other developers that give two shits about strategy games handle this franchise instead, for fuck's shake. Give it to Firaxis or Paradox or Creative Assembly.

Truant

I like how the art direction somewhat mimics the blocky and glossy CG from 90's PC games. Probably a little too early for some gamers, or perhaps too obscure.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ikael said:
because we will incarnate a shitty FBI agent instead of the boss in charge of a secret and powerful organization

You clearly haven't read the preview.

Top Bottom