• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Ikael

I have readed. We will be an individual on the top of an American organization, as opposed to the abstract head of a shadow organization with global influence.

Jintor

Probably because they're going for a story ammirite

A lot of people say that they don't understand why 2K is using this brand to promote their Secret Organisation Fights Aliens game. I'm not sure what they're on about, especially when they go on to say that it wasn't the lore of X-com that made it so awesome, it was the gameplay. So... the gameplay is the franchise? Is that what you're saying? In this understanding I guess the only real X-Com games were UFO Defence and Terror from the Deep (Depths?). Which is fair enough, I suppose, but then why get so bitterly enraged over the name when you had so many previous things to be bitterly enraged over?

Jintor said:
Probably because they're going for a story ammirite

A lot of people say that they don't understand why 2K is using this brand to promote their Secret Organisation Fights Aliens game. I'm not sure what they're on about, especially when they go on to say that it wasn't the lore of X-com that made it so awesome, it was the gameplay. So... the gameplay is the franchise? Is that what you're saying? In this understanding I guess the only real X-Com games were UFO Defence and Terror from the Deep (Depths?). Which is fair enough, I suppose, but then why get so bitterly enraged over the name when you had so many previous things to be bitterly enraged over?
For me it's the shift in tone and atmosphere that is more disappointing. I was cautiously optimistic about it until I saw those screenshots.

Neuromancer said:
For me it's the shift in tone and atmosphere that is more disappointing. I was cautiously optimistic about it until I saw those screenshots.

You can deduce the tone and atmosphere of the game from a few initial screenshots? You have impressive talents.

I personally am waiting to see it in motion, find out more about the story, the strategic elements of the game, the audio, the mission structure and how the base works. Then i might have more to say on the tone and atmosphere.

Or by "tone and atmosphere" do you mean "its not my scifi furtistic xcom with greys"?

DeadlySchnauzer said:
You can deduce the tone and atmosphere of the game from a few initial screenshots? You have impressive talents.

I personally am waiting to see it in motion, find out more about the story, the strategic elements of the game, the audio, the mission structure and how the base works. Then i might have more to say on the tone and atmosphere.

Or by "tone and atmosphere" do you mean "its not my scifi furtistic xcom with greys"?
I thought "tone and atmosphere" were pretty self-explanatory, I guess not.

Tone:
A particular style or manner, as of writing or speech [or video games]; mood.
Prevailing character or style.
Style, distinction, or elegance.

Atmosphere:
A surrounding or pervading mood, environment, or influence: an atmosphere of impending war; a very tense atmosphere.
The dominant mood or emotional tone of a work of art, as of a play or novel [or a video game].
A distinctive quality, as of a place; character.

Let me know if you want it spelled out for you any more than I have. Tone and atmosphere has nothing to do with gameplay; it has to do with setting, character, mood, and general look. All of which I think you can get a feel from from these screen/bullshots. Otherwise what would be the point of releasing them?

Zenith

Banned
DeadlySchnauzer said:

yes, it's called having the capability of abstract thought. not our problem if you aren't capable of it.

I would like an X-COM remake as much as anyone but an engrossing first person X-COM game that's a mix of Bioshock and Call of Cthulhu would be a sell to me. There's nothing bad about it. X-COM's original formula is still a winning formula if anyone asks me, it's a shame nobody takes the risk, it would sell bucketloads, but I can see why they would not.

I SINCERELY hope someone, someday, releases what that squad based X-COM sequel on an alien world (what was it called? X-COM E... E... esomething) should have been. Until then, bring on XCOMSHOCK.

Neuromancer said:
Tone and atmosphere has nothing to do with gameplay; it has to do with setting, character, mood, and general look. All of which I think you can get a feel from from these screen/bullshots. Otherwise what would be the point of releasing them?

Hang on... did you ever even play the original XCOM? The tone and atmosphere of that game has nothing to do with what you are talking about. In fact it had *everything* to do with how the gameplay was structured: the tenseness of the tactical missions due to the lasting impact on your squad and the what-the-hell-is-going-to-happen-this-time feeling. The constant pressure and feeling of always being one step behind in the strategic game. Thats why it still holds up today, even with its isometric 16 pixel sprite characters.

So thank you for giving me the textbook definition of tone and atmosphere, i'm glad you had a dictionary handy. But lets swing this around... if you showed people a bunch of screen shots from the original XCOM, do you think it would give them any idea of the true (and unique) tone and atmosphere of that game?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just got a bad feeling watching that trailer the game is going to be a mess. visually it looks pretty awful and bizarre, and not bizarre in the good way you'd expect from the setting. i also don't like the fact that the setting itself is so limited in scope here--was hoping for a look at something a bit more than just the suburban fifties-ish thing.

could still be awesome, but i question whether that trailer will get anyone jazzed at all. it only raises concerns.

samdavis

Neo Member
I don't have any qualms about the lack of adherence to the old X-COM, as I've never played it, but I've been getting hyped for this one simply because it's about time (I think) that someone went the "aliens among us" route and actually attempted to craft a story out of it. I think of something like an X-Files game when I look at this.

Add to that the fact that the Bioshock team (maybe not Levine and co.) are lending their world-crafting, story-writing, and creepy atmosphere to this and I'm just about sold...

...just about because all I've seen in these early screenshots are black blobs and there is NO WAY that that can be the only sort of enemy right? We have to see some Greys right?

I'm imagining a mission investigating a rash of disappearances in a small town (or anywhere really) and finding that people are being taken and experimented on. Or perhaps that's a running story arc throughout the game that plays into the ending. I don't know. I just know that the Bioshock crew are perfect for creating a really tense and uneasy atmosphere in a game and lack of classic X-COM elements aside, this seems like the perfect opportunity to make something really interesting.

That June 2010 write-up mentioned going to different locations right?

And please don't let them go for the Area-51, arcade-shooter tone. A creepy, subtle (though it doesn't always have to be), X-Files sort of experience.

And please give us some Greys 2k.

March 2012 release, now coming to PS3.

The series reboot from 2K Australia has been a 360 and PC-only thing since its announcement last year, but 2K’s confirmed that it’ll now arrive on the triple.

“Every time I think of XCOM it gives me the chills, the kind that come from standing witness to the corruption and destruction of your world as you stand powerless to prevent it,” said 2K boss Christoph Hartmann.

“I’m pleased to announce today that we will be bringing this experience to an even broader audience when XCOM comes to the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC in March 2012.”

The game sees you play as special agent William Carter and his team, as you try to repel back the alien forces that threaten America and the world as we know it.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/03/xcom-confirmed-for-march-2012-launch-ps3-version-announced/

Top Bottom