2K Sports Announces Top Spin Tennis for Nintendo's Wii™

reminder

Member
Feb 11, 2006
4,530
0
1,040
Germany
Sorry if old etc.

2K Sports Announces Top Spin Tennis for Nintendo's Wii™
Popular Top Spin franchise to make its Wii debut by combining real life tennis experiences and fun features this spring

New York, NY - August 22, 2007 - 2K Sports, the sports publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today it will be releasing Top Spin Tennis for the Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo. As part of 2K's critically acclaimed Top Spin franchise, Top Spin Tennis features fun, flawless tennis action and the most real life tennis experience to date for the Wii. Developed by 2K's Paris studio PAM Development in conjunction with 2K Shanghai, Top Spin Tennis will be available exclusively on the Wii in spring 2008.

The intuitive pick-up-and-play action in Top Spin Tennis allows gamers to use the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers in a way that matches the movements players would make on a real court. The Nunchuk controls the player and aim, while the vibration-enabled Wii Remote hits the ball like a tennis racquet and determines the style of shot ranging from a top spin move to a slice. The Wii Remote also allows players to control the power and the quality of the shot and to serve in many different ways.

The gameplay in Top Spin Tennis will feature an array of modes including singles, doubles, mixed and non-mixed matches, exhibition, tournament and more, with four levels of difficulty and ten international venues. It will also feature more than a dozen licensed tennis stars as well as ten original characters. Up to four players can play Top Spin Tennis using as many as four sets of controllers. To add to the group fun, there are a collection of party games included.

"We are excited to bring our popular Top Spin series to the Wii," said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. "Given the Wii's unique controllers and the fun family-oriented gameplay, Top Spin Tennis effectively bridges the gap between a sports and a party game."
 

RBH

Member
Apr 19, 2007
54,206
1
0
Cool. Will be interesting to see how the Nunchuk + Wiimote combo works out for this game in comparison to Wii Sports tennis which only used the Wiimote.
 

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Jan 28, 2007
795
0
0
Sounds good. But how will one swing the remote with the Nunchuk attatched?
 

Ristamar

Member
Jun 10, 2004
6,091
0
0
The same way you swing a sword in Twilight Princess? As long as you're not swinging in super wide arcs like a maniac, there won't be an issue.
 

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Jan 28, 2007
795
0
0
botticus said:
The same way one would swing the remote without the nunchuck attached?
I just went and tried that, and wow, the cord is longer than I thought. It works perfectly, I can swing the remote completely. *Is an idiot* :lol
 

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oct 11, 2004
16,868
1
0
I really wouldn't mind not moving the character if the shot-making portion of tennis was expanded. Things like serve positioning and precise drop shots was sorely missing from Wii Tennis. Style of play and positioning could be dictated by the strengths of the actual tennis players.
 
Feb 9, 2006
2,621
0
1,175
Flushing, NY
They really need to make sure that using the nunchuck and remote at the same time feels good. I was trying to bat in The BIGs and it was so awkward trying to hold both at the same time and they also didn't give any suggestions on how to do so.
 
Aug 14, 2006
11,638
0
0
WildArms said:
Sounds good. But how will one swing the remote with the Nunchuk attatched?
Works ok for Super Monkey Ball BB Tennis, but it doesn`t feel as immersive as Wii Tennis. Maybe if they have proper shot detection (SMBBB just detected any movement as a hit) it`ll feel better!

I don`t expect it to feel as realistic as Wii Sports though.
 

andthebeatgoeson

Junior Member
Jun 7, 2004
23,038
0
0
40
Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm definitely getting this. My gf and I love playing videogame tennis.
I've been in love ever since Super Tennis on the SNES.


God, this should be on VC immediately.

Wait, what were those shitty tennis games on the Xbox? I hated those luck shots. Tennis is too fast to have to charge up any meter to hit a tennis ball. Top Spin isn't that game, right?
 

Scrubking

Member
May 29, 2007
2,578
0
0
I'm starting to feel like the Balance Board needs to come out sooner rather than later so that we can play games like this without having to worry about the nunchuk being attached in games that really shouldn't have it.
 

pooteeweet

Banned
Jan 10, 2007
1,378
0
0
skinnyrattler said:
Wait, what were those shitty tennis games on the Xbox? I hated those luck shots. Tennis is too fast to have to charge up any meter to hit a tennis ball. Top Spin isn't that game, right?
Top Spin was awesome on Xbox, bite your tongue.
 

Scotch

Member
Jun 26, 2005
4,515
0
0
Netherlands
BorkBork said:
I really wouldn't mind not moving the character if the shot-making portion of tennis was expanded. Things like serve positioning and precise drop shots was sorely missing from Wii Tennis. Style of play and positioning could be dictated by the strengths of the actual tennis players.
Movement and positioning are just as an important part of tennis as swinging your racket. It allows you to play offensely by going to the net, catch your opponent off guard, and so on. You can't really call it tennis without it.
 

Haunted

Member
Nov 16, 2006
78,207
0
0
steamcommunity.com
skinnyrattler said:
1) I've been in love ever since Super Tennis on the SNES.


God, this should be on VC immediately.

2) Wait, what were those shitty tennis games on the Xbox? I hated those luck shots. Tennis is too fast to have to charge up any meter to hit a tennis ball. Top Spin isn't that game, right?
1) Jimmy Connors Tennis > Super Tennis
2) uh oh.
 

andthebeatgoeson

Junior Member
Jun 7, 2004
23,038
0
0
40
pooteeweet said:
Top Spin was awesome on Xbox, bite your tongue.
Aw fuck, it really is that same game. WTF? Waggle to get a lucky hit? I just didn't find the power shot rewarding. It was a bad setup. Nor was the development and progress in the tournaments handled well. It had a weird ranking system, then AI would just ramp up repeatedly and predictably when it felt you needed to lose.

Super Tennis was much better. You hit the right shot, you would get the point. Top Spin would just get to a certain point and make sure you didn't win. The AI flaws were palpable. I mean, slow opponents would run down any shot. And there was no other way to ramp up your power except with the flawed power shot system. How can I hold a controller, continue to move my player in 2 planes of space, track the player, ball and opposite player, then press the trigger with the right pressure, track that guage and let go, at the same time. It was an overhyped game adored by the Xbox crowd that had fundamental flaws. Just like Halo 1 (level design repeats).
 

tehbear

Member
Aug 3, 2007
1,219
0
0
Cool beans @ mimicking actual motions, wii sports tennis had me question my ability as a real tennis player. But that game did convince my friends they'd have a chance against me on the real courts...
 

pooteeweet

Banned
Jan 10, 2007
1,378
0
0
skinnyrattler said:
Aw fuck, it really is that same game. WTF? Waggle to get a lucky hit? I just didn't find the power shot rewarding. It was a bad setup. Nor was the development and progress in the tournaments handled well. It had a weird ranking system, then AI would just ramp up repeatedly and predictably when it felt you needed to lose.

Super Tennis was much better. You hit the right shot, you would get the point. Top Spin would just get to a certain point and make sure you didn't win. The AI flaws were palpable. I mean, slow opponents would run down any shot. And there was no other way to ramp up your power except with the flawed power shot system. How can I hold a controller, continue to move my player in 2 planes of space, track the player, ball and opposite player, then press the trigger with the right pressure, track that guage and let go, at the same time. It was an overhyped game adored by the Xbox crowd that had fundamental flaws. Just like Halo 1 (level design repeats).
Risk shots weren't mandatory. If you don't like them, don't use them. I mainly only used them for serves. The career mode was great in Top Spin. Things got harder in the Grand Slams, but they're supposed to. The AI was never cheap or impossible. How many ways do you need to "ramp up your power?" You have 4 relatively low risk shots to choose from, if you wanted extra power it came at a risk. Risk shots aren't nearly as hard to pull off as you make it sound. In fact, one of the biggest criticisms was that it was too easy and online games turned into a risk shot fest.

Edit: It wasn't just overhyped by the Xbox crowd, it was the highest rated tennis game of last gen.
 

Jammy

Banned
Nov 14, 2006
3,204
0
0
I want to see Virtua Tennis 3 on Wii now. Playing tennis
and baseball and golf
games with buttons just feels so detached. This could be really great if the controls are nailed.
 

Miniboss1232

Member
Dec 14, 2006
1,186
0
0
Orange County, CA
I'd like for them to do something a bit like what EA is doing, where they have a "Remote-only" mode. I would probably use the Remote-Nunchuk combo exclusively, but it would be nice for them to have it in there if you have some friends that can only really understand the "Remote swing" portion.
 
Apr 10, 2007
15,235
0
0
Miniboss1232 said:
I'd like for them to do something a bit like what EA is doing, where they have a "Remote-only" mode. I would probably use the Remote-Nunchuk combo exclusively, but it would be nice for them to have it in there if you have some friends that can only really understand the "Remote swing" portion.
That sounds good, actually. Along with Nintendo cutting the cord.
 

botticus

Member
Jun 15, 2007
3,438
0
0
C4Lukins said:
But I have a two handed backhand. This will not stand..
So do I, but luckily the Wii has not provided a level of immersion such that the loss of the additional strength and accuracy of using my customary two-handed swing will have any impact.

Unless 2K is just that damn good.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,700
0
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
Sort of preview/interview from IGN:


http://wii.ign.com/articles/814/814844p1.html


"Players who are used to Wii Tennis are going to find that there's a much greater sophistication in the interface. (Also, there are legs.) The Wii controller will really be put to great use with the nunchuck being used to move your player and determine shot placement and the Wiimote being used to control the timing, power and orientation of your swing. Swinging through different arcs will allow players the opportunity to put varying degrees of topspin or slice on the ball. It will require finesse of course but it should allow for a bit more control than will be seen in the other versions of Top Spin."
 

legend166

Member
Jan 31, 2007
19,429
0
0
HELL YES.


You don't understand. In that Top Spin 3 for 360/PS3 thread, I had a window open, positing a reply on how I can't believe that they are making this for those consoles instead of the Wii. I decided against posting it though because it sounded bitchy and trollish and I didn't want to derail the thread.

This is awesome.
 

Haunted

Member
Nov 16, 2006
78,207
0
0
steamcommunity.com
schuelma said:
Sort of preview/interview from IGN:


http://wii.ign.com/articles/814/814844p1.html


"Players who are used to Wii Tennis are going to find that there's a much greater sophistication in the interface. (Also, there are legs.) The Wii controller will really be put to great use with the nunchuck being used to move your player and determine shot placement and the Wiimote being used to control the timing, power and orientation of your swing. Swinging through different arcs will allow players the opportunity to put varying degrees of topspin or slice on the ball. It will require finesse of course but it should allow for a bit more control than will be seen in the other versions of Top Spin."
noice.
 
Haunted One said:
1) Jimmy Connors Tennis > Super Tennis
2) uh oh.
You're kidding, right? Super Tennis is about one of the best tennis games out there as far as fun factor and playability are concerned. The Japanese Aim for the Ace is better in some ways, but is hampered by the lack of a full circuit mode.

But Jimmy Connors Tennis?