• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Amendment Is Dead

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
So you've identified that guns and cars have very different regulations because they are incredibly different. Good!

Nice non-conclusive point here.

That's all good too.

Making sure that gun owners/users are responsible towards themselves and others, and better keeping them out of the hands of criminals and would-be mass murderers is something that we should expect to improve upon.

Restriction is a part of better regulation too.
Where is your evidence that restriction and regulation produces the results that you want (lower violence)? I see cities/states with high gun restrictions and high gun violence (both in total and per-capita). Since removing guns entirely isn't an option (therefore, comparison to gun-free countries are pointless), how will this be accomplished? If you are truly interested in stepping beyond mere platitudes about how guns are so incredibly violent (even though they factually pale in comparison to the death toll caused by dozens of other technologies), then do so. Until then, I'll continue with comparisons to cars and large bodies of water.

ViceUniverse

Mar 12, 2019
Where is your evidence that restriction and regulation produces the results that you want (lower violence)? I see cities/states with high gun restrictions and high gun violence (both in total and per-capita).

Since removing guns entirely isn't an option (therefore, comparison to gun-free countries are pointless), how will this be accomplished? If you are truly interested in stepping beyond mere platitudes about how guns are so incredibly violent (even though they factually pale in comparison to the death toll caused by dozens of other technologies), then do so.
Well, there is a bit of research, enough to be used to aid the regulation debate.

"In relation to mortality rates, gun-violence research was the least-researched cause of death and the second-least-funded cause of death,"

"Currently, US law only requires background checks when people buy guns from licensed firearms dealers. However, research from the nonpartisan Rand Corporation estimates that universal background checks could prevent 1,100 homicides per year.“

Even if you don’t consider the information, below is a decent link to read and it includes many different topic points, some of which have been discussed here.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gun-control-research-how-policies-can-reduce-deaths-2019-8#barring-people-convicted-of-domestic-abuse-from-owning-guns-also-decreases-the-number-of-gun-deaths-8

Until then, I'll continue with comparisons to cars and large bodies of water.
Oooook.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Nov 19, 2018
Guns very rarely accidentally discharge.

Guns owners are being negligent. This possibly and Usually result in serious injury or death. Since the end of a gun can kill or maim anything in front of it. Hence why militant gun safety is a must around me. And most gun owners.

There is a huge difference.

If stupid people want to own a gun and not take responsibility Of regulating and taking care of their firearms it is not the guns fault. It is the owners.

In that case it may be a criminal matter but not until after the negligent discharge.

Restricting firearm production or transactions is not going to stop negligence.

Last edited: