• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

***2nd Official GAF Links 2004 Competition*** w/ prizes

jedimike

Sign-up now for GAF Links 2004 Competition.

http://www.xsnsports.com/Links/Group/?lgid=15177

Requirements

Xbox
Links 2004
Xbox Live

If you haven't linked your gamertag, you'll also have to do that.

Rules

Competition is set to intermediate. There will be 4 rounds of 18 hole golf. Lowest combined score wins. I set this up for stroke play with cut. That means that after the first two rounds, half the field will be dropped. I figured that after 2 rounds if your not in the top 16, chances are slim for you anyway.

Courses get progressively more difficult. We'll start off at a calm St. Andrews and then end up in a breazy Ocean Mills (directors cut)

32 slots available. We'll limit it to GAF members first and then open it up to friends of GAF members if the slots don't fill. It's set to public , so you can join without an invitation.

Sign-up begins now and will continue to next Friday. Each round is 7 days long. That should be long enough for everyone to get their holes in.

Prizes

So far there are 3 prizes available... (more may become available)

1. 512 MB Kingston PC2700 RAM
2. One copy of Impossible Creatures (courtesy of Bishoptl)
3. One copy of Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

The winner will take his pick, runner-up will pick next, and 3rd place will take whatever is left.

B'z-chan

Banned
Count me in. Just got my Links 2004 again today. Neo007Cypher is the name. Quick question though. What if i dont have a character that is in the intermidiate catagory yet? (havent played a lot of the game yet) i'd still at least like to give it a shot.

Fifty

You would have to create a new character. Characters cannot be transferred from one difficulty level to another.

Is it too late to sign up? What's the info I need to join?

I've never even played the copy of Links I have lying around, but when you say "prizes," I'm there like a fly on shit.

Fifty

DJ Demon J said:
Is it too late to sign up? What's the info I need to join?

I've never even played the copy of Links I have lying around, but when you say "prizes," I'm there like a fly on shit.

The info is at the top of the page............

It was posted yesterday, and 7/32 slots are filled :p

jedimike

Still lots of slots available. You don't have to dedicate a lot of time to these competitions. You just have to complete one 18 hole course a week for 4 weeks.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
ive been waiting for another one.. thanks mike :)

I'm excited about a chance to win Impossible Creatures, I always wanted to play it :)

hgplayer1

go ahead and send me an invite. Ill have to create an Intermediate character but I dont have any other tourneys going on at the moment so Ill join.

gamertag is hgplayer1

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Fifty said:
I think 32 was far too great a number for this tournament. We only have 8..

It looks like there aren't enough people on the board to fill the 32 slots.:( I would still play a 8 player tournament with the people here if everyone wants to.

jedimike

Well last competition was set to 16 and it filled up fast and people were pissed that there weren't more slots open. Don't be afraid if you don't have an intermediate player set-up. The only thing harder in intermediate is that the putting arrow is shorter and there isn't a helper bar on the power meter.

It doesn't have to completely fill. I can actually start the competition with less than 32. Also, no invite is necessary, just follow the link to sign-up.

hgplayer1

jedimike said:
Top of page in box under the "competition" section.

mods, thx for sticky

I was actually looking for the yellow Join button near the bottom of the competition home page which is where Im used to seeing it when I go to join up but every time I clicked on the link at the top of this thread it took me to the home page but it didnt have a join button. I had to go to search for GAF and then follow the link which gave me a slightly different looking home page that had the Join button at the bottom. very strange.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
yea i had to search for the competition by name in order to join as well. im glad they're taking a year off xsn, its a mess right now

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
There's only 1 spot left to fill now in the tournament. I only reconize 10 names from GAF on the list though. Are you going to kick the other players JediMike or are you going to let them play? It really doesn't matter to me, we could still keep track of our standings here independent of everyone else's not in GAF.

Do you still want someone to play the first round with you hgplayer1? If you do, post a time that's good for you, and we'll work a something out.

jedimike

Kindbudmaster said:
There's only 1 spot left to fill now in the tournament. I only reconize 10 names from GAF on the list though. Are you going to kick the other players JediMike or are you going to let them play? It really doesn't matter to me, we could still keep track of our standings here independent of everyone else's not in GAF.

Do you still want someone to play the first round with you hgplayer1? If you do, post a time that's good for you, and we'll work a something out.

No, I'm not going to kick them. We'll have more fun with more people involved. I'm only going to offer the prizes to GAF members though.

hgplayer1

whoa i kinda lost track of when this thing was supposed to start. I usually get an email from XSN telling me if a competition started but I didnt get one this time. Anyway Ill probably get my first round in this weekend. Anybody wanna pair up?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its started? crap im so busy this week im only gonna have about 6 hours to make a character, get some skill points and play my round...its a conspiracy to take my crown i tells ya!

Now i know how Tiger Woods feels :'(

Birbo

I'm in and will hopefully get my first round in today or tomorrow. If I make it as far as the director's cut course, that's where I'll blow up. That course is damn tough.

hgplayer1

element said:
that dude is driving 350 yards :p

freaking XSN site doesn't work right now :mad

the long drives dont bother me as much as the long putts. he took 6 30+ foot putts and made 3.

I didnt realize I didnt have an intermediate character created so I had to make one and gather some skill points over the weekend. I think Im gonna stop where I am though and post a score either tonight or tomorrow because it would take me way too long to get my skill points up to where Im sure some of those guys are.

Phantom

I'm not sure if i'm gonna be able to take part.
My Xbox is currently away from my internet connection and due to work being done on my house i can't move it nearer. I'm going to be ordering a wireless bridge tomorrow so it will all depend on when that arrives.
What is the last day possible to complete the first round?

jedimike

Phantom said:
I'm not sure if i'm gonna be able to take part.
My Xbox is currently away from my internet connection and due to work being done on my house i can't move it nearer. I'm going to be ordering a wireless bridge tomorrow so it will all depend on when that arrives.
What is the last day possible to complete the first round?

Friday is the last day for the round. If you can't make it, be sure to quit through XSN so you don't lose your rep stars.

hgplayer1

actually I think its better not to quit and just get an incomplete. Ive never quit one so Im not sure but Ive never gotten any penalties for failing to complete a round.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I was able to tie hg and o2 for the lead in the forum with a -11 tonight. So far I think we are the only ones that have posted a score from here, out of the 10 that signed up.

Jesiatha

I just got mine in. I hope we end up with a decent number of GAF people making the cut. If not, we should do another GAF-only one. Or maybe just do an unofficial tournament and all play sounds rounds together one night.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Yeah that would be cool. I'd like to play a couple of rounds with some people from here. Going by the scores, it would a good match-up.

Edit: I don't know whats going on, but my score still isn't on xsn yet. I hope nothing got screwed up.

Phantom

Gonna go do mine now, Wireless bridge arrived this morning.

-----------------

Okay done my round, got a -13 which im kinda dissapointed with.
Most of the holes were fine but i had two big mistakes, a double bogey when i could easily have got par, and a bogey when i should have got an eagle. I hate it when the ball is so close to the hole but on a hill so i keep hitting it over the hole.

Oh well, best get some practice in on the next course now.

Birbo

I got a -13 as well. Had a drive that fell right into a sand trap and caused me to get a double-bogey. Should have at least paed that one. Also, I'm pretty bad at chipping. :)

Jesiatha

My score never showed up? There should be 3 of us tied at -13 ;) Should I try playing it again? (I got to the screen that said "your score will be posted to XSN in 15 to 30 minutes").

Jesiatha

Well, this time I only pulled -9. Stupid XSN :mad

Edit: Okay, this score isn't showing up either. Am I being a moron and missing a step I need to do to upload my score?

Jesiatha

Well, I figured it out. I played a -13 and a -9 on GAF Crew. I finally realized that XSN is stupid and I was playing rounds under the old tournament. Ended up with a -10, which is respectable.

Top Bottom