• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3/4s through the year. What are you favorite games so far?

Yakuza 0, i.e. yet more proof that memorable content is more important for an open world than sheer size.

Resident Evil 7. I wish the last third was more than just okay, but before that it has been one hell of a series modernization.

Fire Emblem Echoes. The first S-RPG I could thoroughly enjoy because of its classic JRPG elements and QOL improvements.

Crash Bandicoot 1 HD. I only knew the other Crash entries beforehand and thought this was much better than people were always making it. I love how its NES difficulty and few rough edges are paired with such amazing visual fidelity.

So far:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Prey
3. Hollow Knight
4. Night in the Woods
5. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
6. Nioh
7. Horizon Zero Dawn
8. RiME
9. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
10. Cuphead

Other games I've played this year include:

- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
- Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City DLC
- What Remains of Edith Finch
- Snake Pass
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
- Nier Automata
- Little Nightmares
- Tacoma
- Sonic Mania
- Persona 5
- Mass Effect Andromeda

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Persona 5 is my favorite, would be shocked if it got topped but maybe Mario could pull it off. Otherwise Breath of the Wild, Yakuza 0, Mario + Rabbids are the other standouts.

Södy

PUBG and F1 2017 so far. FIFA 18 is fun aswell.

edit: Ah, forgot Horizon: Zero Dawn. This makes my list aswell.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy are my top two favorites thus far.

Ascheroth

NieR Automata and Trails in the Sky the 3rd are battling for GOTY spot, Trails has a miniscule edge at the moment, we'll see on whom I'll really decide on.

Yakuza 0
Resident Evil 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nex Machina
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Errybody's Golf
Wipeout Omega Collection
Crash Bandicoot

Been a stacked year. Can't keep up.

xviper

1) Zelda
2) Resident evil 7
3) Yakuza 0
4) Destiny 2
5) Friday the 13th

the only thing that will probably be changed is when The evil within 2 comes out, it will most likely replace Friday the 13th, if it has puzzles, it may even replaces RE7( doubt that)

this year started really strong in it's first 3 months, then went down hill, ever sine Zelda, i haven't liked any new game except for Cuphead and Friday the 13th, i did enjoy old games remastered such as Kingdom hearts, Yakuza kiwami and Crash, but i don't count them as new games

for the rest of the year i'm only interested in TEW2

People say this year has been great and I won't argue that. There have been too many good games, I've probably not played half of them.
Out of the ones that I have played, while I consider some of them good, I don't feel like I've properly been into them, that there's many standouts for me personally.

What I recall at the moment is Stories Untold. Because it's just kind of, quite out of the norm, and the chapters I've played have been skillful at the atmospheric retro sci-fi/thriller/mystery retro adventure thing.
It absolutely stands out and I like it.

1) BOTW
2) cup head
3) Steamworld Dig 2
4) Mario + Rabbids
5) splatoon 2

Love seeing all the all attention that SWD2 and rabbids is getting

Banned
If the GOTY voting was today it would be like this:

1. Zelda
2. Persona 5
3. Horizon
4. Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle
5. Halo Wars 2
6. Nier
7. Prey
8. Splatoon 2
9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Cuphead, Wolfenstein 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 are all gonna change this list a lot I think.

My top 5 so far:

2. Resident Evil 7
3. Splatoon 2
4. Metroid: Samus Returns
5. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Honorable mentions:
Persona 5
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Sonic Mania
ARMS

The only games coming out in the remainder of the year that I think will crack the top 5 are Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but there could be some that surprise me. Overall this year has been exceptional for games.

brinstar

Some of my favorites this year have been Zelda BoTW, Nier Automata, Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood, Sonic Mania and most recently Steamworld Dig 2

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
1. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
2. Nioh
3. Resident Evil 7 VR
4. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
5. The Legend of Zelda: BotW
6. The Sexy Brutale
7. Steamworld Dig 2
8. Graceful Explosion Machine
9. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
10. Metroid: Samus Returns

Honorable mentions:
Crash: N Sane Trilogy
Little Nightmares

Still have to play some heavy hitters like Horizon and Nier, still hope to do that after the trio of Odyssey/TEW2 and Wolf 2 hits. But even Odyssey will have to be downright amazing to dethrone M+R for me. It had an absolute blast with that game.

Lanrutcon

Sniper Elite 4
Monster Hunter Stories
Divinity: Original Sin 2

All three are GOTY contenders for me.

Plus, the Destiny 2 (PC) beta and Etrian Odyssey V demo really did it for me. The release versions might just get added to my GOTY list.

This has been a preposterous year. My playing schedule has never been so dominated by new releases, there hasn't been a letdown anywhere, several titles ended up far surpassing expectations given my history with the series or developer, and I still haven't been able to fit in some significant releases that are wholly up my alley (notably FE Echoes, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, and many more) and might not by the end of the year, by the looks of it.

I can't be bothered to fiddle with ranks and don't want to spoil too many of my intentions for my GOTY ballot, but here's a sketch of what I'm thinking.

These will be on my end-of-year list:
- Breath of the Wild
- Thimbleweed Park
- Arms

Side-scroller heaven—hard to pick favourites in this cluster when they vary so much in strengths:
- SteamWorld Dig 2
- Metroid: Samus Returns
- Sonic Mania

Games that would make my shortlist literally any other year and which I'm very reluctant to bump, if it comes to that:
- Splatoon 2
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Graceful Explosion Machine

As in 2016, I also have to put in a word for Factorio, which is still in pre-release alpha and was intended to hit 1.0 by the end of the year but looks unlikely to make it. Let's just say it raced BotW to the 300-hour mark.

Sullichin

Crash N Sane Trilogy
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Divinity Original Sin 2
Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle
XCOM 2 War of the Chosen
Resident Evil 7

Can't deny that Crash is my favorite. I love the original games too much.

Bluehound

Neo Member
Nioh is pretty much the only non-remaster game I have played this year. Great game, but seriously lacks enemy and sub-mission location variety.

Easily:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Horizon Zero Dawn

I have yet to try Divinity Original Sin 2, but I am sure it is 3. I just need time with it, but it can easily be 2 or 1 too.

And these 3 games are not only top 3 of the year they can be top of the decade and even GOAT.

2017 has been an amazing year for Nintendo and Sony.

If it has been anything top for MS I can say top worst year ever for games for, and top console since the X is hot, but lacking games. Cuphead is amazing, but not enough to make a dent in this year.

Cuphead
Aka to Blue

Haven't bought yet but I'm convinced I'll enjoy:
XCOM 2 WotC
Raiden V Director's Cut
Battle Garegga
Dangun Feveron
Dead Cells
Nier Automata

Hag

Yakuza 0

Best story/settings/music and characters to follow. Easy to understand the plot and characters. No bullshit about 90 clans and boring drama. Also Yakuza 0 Goro story and design is GOAT material. I mean all the sub stories are good shit whew

NIER Automata

Yoko Taro returns to gaming with more budget than a Dinner meal and some do the old team back. Resulting to good story + beautiful music. Put P* in the gameplay departament and we got unbelievable good and smooth gameplay for the old fans and enjoyable for all newcomers

Still need to finish P5 but will prolly be in my top 3

Fbh

Played so far.

Nioh
Horizon
Persona 5
Breath of the Wild
Gravity Rush 2

Favorites:
Horizon and Breath of The Wild.

Horizon has easily one of my favorite worlds in videogames. The mechanic animals, the tribes and their cultures , the backstory, the mix of ancient-style cultures with modern elements, etc.
Combat was also fantastic and it's one of the most visually stunning games I've ever played .

Breath of the Wild feels like a massive accomplishment in open world design. A game that, I hope, gets studied and referenced by current and future generations of game designers. One could make a whole thread about the open world on BotW but to put it simply: it's, in my experience, the first AAA open world game that's not about following a GPS.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My GotY hasnt changed in the past 6 months. Its still Persona 5.

The only thing that might challenge it is Mario Odyssey.

illusionary

In approximate descending order...

2. Hollow Knight
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
5. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
7. Prey

I fully expect Super Mario Odyssey to find its way somewhere near the top shortly and there's any number of other games releasing in the next couple of months that could end up featuring in my top 10 for the year.

1. Dungeon Defenders 2 - the first one is my most played game on Steam and Dungeon Defenders 2 is now my 2nd most played. The difficulty of the campaign is kind of unbalanced but once you're maxed and start doing Chaos levels it really evens out. For the campaign you can pretty much get by only with gear but once you start Chaos you need to start using relics and upgrading them. Gameplay is really addicting, especially as you start getting better gear. The F2P mechanics in it are pretty good. Every character can be bought with medals earned in game and the vast majority of things you can't buy with them are cosmetic. The one exception is extra bags. Bag space becomes an issue as you get more characters and start storing relics for them, and there is no bank you can just place everything in.

2. Digimon World: Next Order - I was kind of hesitant going into it. I have some nostalgia for the original Digimon World, but I haven't played it in years and I hate the idea of my Digimon dying. I did not expect the game to hook me like it did though. Yeah I didn't like my Digimon dying, but your next generation of Digimon are so much stronger. By the 3rd generation, I was excited when they were about to die as my next generation would be even stronger. Also as you get farther into your progress and your character levels you get a lot of perks such as your Digimon living longer and workouts giving better gains. This was really close with Dungeon Defenders 2 for me but I ended up putting it first because I put a lot more time into it (I still put over 50 hours into Next Order though).

These are the only two games I've played this year that came out in 2017.

Nier Automata
Breath of the Wild
Night in the Woods
Hellblade
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Destiny 2
Mario + Rabbids

Starting Cuphead now, and it wouldn't surprise me if Life is Strange: Before the Storm ultimately winds up on here. Still have to get to Prey as well. (Also a special mention for Best Old Game I Finally Played In 2017 would go to Steins;Gate.)

Humdinger

Another thread o' lists.

Well, here's mine:

1. Horizon Zero Dawn.
2. Yakuza 0.
3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

All three were big surprises for me. All three have eclipsed everything else I've played by a long distance.

DodgeDusk

1. Persona 5.
1. Trails in the Sky the 3rd.
3. NieR: Automata.
4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Really can't decide between Persona 5 and TitS 3rd.

OP, just wanted to say I really appreciate the list (and the pics). It's a really handy reference.

That said, the only 2017 game I've played so far is the very beginning of Zelda BOTW. Crazy.

Still not sure whether I like BOTW or not. Lot of things that bother me.

Favorite games so far:

PUBG
RE7 (first two thirds especially)
Steamworld Dig 2
Brigador (technically came out this year I think?)
Dead Cells

And I'm about to get started on Golf Story.

Games I think I like but fell off of and maybe will get back to:

Horizon and Nioh.

But there's so much good shit to play that it's hard to find the time.

Robiin

Trying to keep up with this year is insane.

I run a list, games I'm interested in/intend to buy and I check what I have purchased. The list for this year is fucking crazy.

Z3wyHPG.jpg

PooBone

There's a few games I haven't played yet that I want to like Edith Finch and Nier, but so far my top three in order are:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Resident Evil 7
RIME

I think it's criminal that RIME hasn't gotten more attention. I picked up a physical copy on Xbone for $30 that came with a cloth map. I expected an Ico-influenced adventure game and it blew me away, surpassing its influence even. I loved it.

Robiin

What application/program are you using to make the list?
Evernote, it's basically a cloud based notepad, like google docs and similar.

I think it's criminal that RIME hasn't gotten more attention. I picked up a physical copy on Xbone for $30 that came with a cloth map. I expected an Ico-influenced adventure game and it blew me away, surpassing its influence even. I loved it.
Guess I just added RiME to my list!

Buggy Loop

1) Zelda Botw
2) Prey
3) Mario + Rabbids
4) Resident evil 7
5) Golf story (on-going)
6) Thumper

I wish i had time to play divinity 2, i know it'd probably skyrocket close to the top, but my semester is completely insane, i feel bad even buying golf story.

Top Bottom