• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 days, 3 guys, a PS4 and a Switch : Couch coop games suggestion needed

dalekjay

So end of November, we organizing a 3 days gaming week-end with 2 friends of mine. One is a casual gamer (gaming very little alone but no problem on gaming a lot when together).

We already did it by the past and played Borderlands ½ and bit of TPS. Last time we bought Borderlands 3 only to discover that couch coop is limited to 2 players so we didn’t play it… I could bring my PS4 this time, for a 2 screen 3 players coop but it doesn’t sound optimal.

We have Streets of Rage 4 but not sure it will hold the whole week end, especially for the casual gamer (I play it regularly with the other one online so it would not be a problem for us).

We also tested Broforce on a previous edition but me and another were not huge fan.

Any suggestion of couch coop for 3 players on PS4 or Switch ? (A wii/ Wii U is also available in case…)

Can be a long game like the Borderlands, we don’t mind if we are not being able to finish it during the week end.

Edit : We have also Smash Bros Ultimate but probably not enough for 3 days

UPDATE :
Thanks for all the suggestion. I "submitted" a selection of it (Diablo 3, HellDivers/Alienation, Dragon's Crown, Trine, Huntdown, Overcooked) in addition of what we already have.

And my "casual gamer" friend stated that he's not that much into "stuff like Streets of rage and would prefer a nice looking FPS". Looks like we're heading to a Borderlands 3 week-end except if you can name another coop FPS that could surpass that.

Thanks to this thread I discovered co-optimus.com and there is not a lot of ("nice looking")coop FPS (I put a veto on "realistic world shooter" like CoD, it's not my stuff at all).
Dragons crown isn’t exactly coop from the start, you have to finish a portion (or everything?) before you coop, take it out and put Trine Series, it’s cheap and good and Nine Parchments which is a specific pseudo Diablo spin off.

Jaxcellent

The Capcom beat m up bundle has some cool multiplayer fighting games, also Darius burst fun multiplayer shooter and wild guns, but you cant go wrong with Mario kart 8 deluxe

Gandih42

Dragons crown isn’t exactly coop from the start, you have to finish a portion (or everything?) before you coop, take it out and put Trine Series, it’s cheap and good and Nine Parchments which is a specific pseudo Diablo spin off.

I'm not a 100% sure but I believe that it's only the online co-op that requires you to beat all the levels once to unlock. Local co-op should be available from the start. But judging from OP's casual friend's tastes, (not Streets of Rage, requesting good looking FPS), perhaps Dragons Crown is not the best fit.

Nine Parchments looks pretty fun though! Never heard of it before, might check it out myself.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
So end of November, we organizing a 3 days gaming week-end with 2 friends of mine. One is a casual gamer (gaming very little alone but no problem on gaming a lot when together).

We already did it by the past and played Borderlands ½ and bit of TPS. Last time we bought Borderlands 3 only to discover that couch coop is limited to 2 players so we didn’t play it… I could bring my PS4 this time, for a 2 screen 3 players coop but it doesn’t sound optimal.

We have Streets of Rage 4 but not sure it will hold the whole week end, especially for the casual gamer (I play it regularly with the other one online so it would not be a problem for us).

We also tested Broforce on a previous edition but me and another were not huge fan.

Any suggestion of couch coop for 3 players on PS4 or Switch ? (A wii/ Wii U is also available in case…)

Can be a long game like the Borderlands, we don’t mind if we are not being able to finish it during the week end.

Edit : We have also Smash Bros Ultimate but probably not enough for 3 days

UPDATE :
Thanks for all the suggestion. I "submitted" a selection of it (Diablo 3, HellDivers/Alienation, Dragon's Crown, Trine, Huntdown, Overcooked) in addition of what we already have.

And my "casual gamer" friend stated that he's not that much into "stuff like Streets of rage and would prefer a nice looking FPS". Looks like we're heading to a Borderlands 3 week-end except if you can name another coop FPS that could surpass that.

Thanks to this thread I discovered co-optimus.com and there is not a lot of ("nice looking")coop FPS (I put a veto on "realistic world shooter" like CoD, it's not my stuff at all).
You should get Hidden Agenda for the PS4. It is an interactive thriller by the Until Dawn developers in which up to six players can play together by downloading the game's app on their smartphones. The game features a branching story with multiple endings driven by the choices that the [mayority of] players make during the chapters, but in each one of them one player gets an "hidden agenda" which means that he needs to fool the others into picking the choices that fit his agenda but without getting exposed as the "traitor" by the rest of the players.

It is really, REALLY fun, has some nice production values and it lasts between two and three hours, so there's some replayability in there in case you and your friends fail to solve the case during the first playthrough.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So we settled on Borderlands 3 for this time. We'll try to squeeze a bit of Streets of Rage 4 or maybe another game in between (Overcooked maybe).

You should get Hidden Agenda for the PS4. It is an interactive thriller by the Until Dawn developers in which up to six players can play together by downloading the game's app on their smartphones. The game features a branching story with multiple endings driven by the choices that the [mayority of] players make during the chapters, but in each one of them one player gets an "hidden agenda" which means that he needs to fool the others into picking the choices that fit his agenda but without getting exposed as the "traitor" by the rest of the players.

It is really, REALLY fun, has some nice production values and it lasts between two and three hours, so there's some replayability in there in case you and your friends fail to solve the case during the first playthrough.

Hum... That triggers my curiosity. Never heard about it. I'll check that. Could be nice to do a run.

Top Bottom