• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 new Wii U bundles coming to EU (1 Premium, 2 Basic), no set prices again

Surely a Super Mario 3D World bundle would have been better?

Price needs to go down to £179.99 (with a game) or so for sales to pick up imo.

Coolwhip

Banned
Will Nintendo force me to buy a white Wii U with just 8gb of storage? Why is the storage so damn low anyway, that's not even 1 game...

antonz

Tossing in a 7 day trial of the Karaoke thing was genius with the just dance bundle. Ok with the others but a perfect fit for that one bundle

£250 still seems high to me. £200 for a premium + a game would be a good move at this stage but HUKD will be on the case.

I like that they're including discs instead of codes. Doing a Mario Party bundle is a dumb move. The Just Dance 2014 bundle however is an incredibly smart move. Just Dance is still selling on the Wii and it will be a good barometer for how willing Wii owners are to upgrade to the WiiU.

As for this not setting a recommended retail price I'll never really understand that.

Nope they made a Mario bundle that will sell more. Plus it's not going to do them any favours image wise if the only bundles they offer are Mario ones while Sony offers GTA V and Microsoft offers Fifa.

Thought that the WiiU Basic was being discontinued?

Some great games coming out but will have to miss them as I can only get one console this current generation

Thought that the WiiU Basic was being discontinued?

Some great games coming out but will have to miss them as I can only get one console this current generation
Says it is limited on the Nintendo site. Guess this is how they're getting rid of them.

Laughing my ass off that £249.99 for a basic with Just Dance while the premium bundles are the same price. These were going for about £150 recently. Sent to die.

L~A

Super Plays. It's definitely not gonna be trailers. They'd put those in all the bundles otherwise. Or on their games in general.

Why would they include the Super Play videos? That doesn't make much sense, as they're already available online, on YouTube...

Hmmm.... actually, it sort of makes sense, though it still seems a tad "dumb" to me. Oh well, guess we're gonna have to wait until Nov. 8th to know!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Says it is limited on the Nintendo site. Guess this is how they're getting rid of them.

Laughing my ass off that £249.99 for a basic with Just Dance while the premium bundles are the same price. These were going for about £150 recently. Sent to die.

Wut?

32Gb VS 8GB
1 full game VS 1 full game (Mario U VS Land)
1 budget game VS 1 budget game (Luigi U VS Party)
1 nothing VS 1 remote plus

They seems pretty equivalent in terms of contents/value

If you throw in Just dance (full price game) substituting Party (budget price game) you see that the Just Dance bundle is the best of them all (not for my taste, obviously)

Plus, I don't see premium bundleS VS Just Dance, but Premium bundle (single, the Mario U one) VS basic bundleS (plural), and among the Basics, the Just Dance one is the more valuable as I said

Auskeek

Did you miss out on the Dick Smith sale a week or two ago? They were selling premiums for $214. Might still be going?

It was only for that weekend I thought? I'm actually really surprised I didn't buy one, I wasn't even tempted. Kinda kicking myself after seeing SM3DW trailers, but that's probably the one game I want a Wii U for and it's not even out.

Spin it however you want, they struggled to sell the basic units previously. Now they're trying to get rid of them at £250. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
Are you seriously implying it would've been a better idea not to include a controller required to play the game bundled with the console?
I'm seriously implying the price is too damned high. You can infer whatever else you want.

Zushin

It was only for that weekend I thought? I'm actually really surprised I didn't buy one, I wasn't even tempted. Kinda kicking myself after seeing SM3DW trailers, but that's probably the one game I want a Wii U for and it's not even out.

Ah okay. I'm not actually sure how long it went for. I was lucky enough to nab one on the day. Hopefully the regular prices come down soon for you though. $428 here is too much when you have the PS4 on one side, and the PS3/360 on the other.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Spin it however you want, they struggled to sell the basic units previously. Now they're trying to get rid of them at £250. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

I'm seriously implying the price is too damned high. You can infer whatever else you want.

it's not that the premium flied from the shelves.
wiiu isn't appealing, whetever bundles or price you tag to it imho
but saying that OMG that premium is rightly priced and packed, while the basic OMG they are horrible...well, no.
the value of the contents is very similar, if not slighlty higher on the Just Dance one.

kitsuneyo

2D Mario always outsells 3D Mario by a big margin. These packs are aimed at families, and 2D Mario is way more accessible to them.

StiLt

Hmm first bundle ain't too shabby if it's close to £200ish. Meh for the basics. Honestly not sure which retailers would be carrying these in the UK though. Amazon or Argos maybe? Wouldn't hold out too much hope for standard brick and mortar participation to any great degree if current quantities and shelf placement are any indication. Don't get the impression they'd be enthusiastic on re-upping on new stock when they are still trying to wind down launch inventory.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
2D Mario always outsells 3D Mario by a big margin. These packs are aimed at families, and 2D Mario is way more accessible to them.

3D Land sold better than New Mario 2, but among those target I agree.
Plus, 3D World is a new game, they dont need to push the sellout for that (not yet, at least)

MIlky1985

Banned
As for this not setting a recommended retail price I'll never really understand that.

They aren't allowed to, apparently they were price fixing previously and so got slapped down by the EU courts so now they don't set prices.

Its why prices were so high at launch, they were never official prices, but a law that is meant to protect the customer from artificially high prices caused a situation where prices got artificially high. Go figure.

D-e-f-

Banned

That price is ridiculous. Seems like all that "it's a souped up 360" BS has worked on the general populace in that they thing a brand new console should cost as much as last gen tech. Wow.

Why would they include the Super Play videos? That doesn't make much sense, as they're already available online, on YouTube...

Hmmm.... actually, it sort of makes sense, though it still seems a tad "dumb" to me. Oh well, guess we're gonna have to wait until Nov. 8th to know!

Seems like you forgot about this:

7908415_0_9999_lge_v1r9uov.jpg
super-mario-galaxy-2-5cuqa.jpg

Nope. 3D Land sold gangbusters. The "always" is not true.

They aren't allowed to, apparently they were price fixing previously and so got slapped down by the EU courts so now they don't set prices.

Its why prices were so high at launch, they were never official prices, but a law that is meant to protect the customer from artificially high prices caused a situation where prices got artificially high. Go figure.

looking back to the 3ds launch some retailers tried charging £230 when the trade price was just £173, had there been RRPs i'd guess they would have set it at £200 which would have saved us from some of the rip offs but wouldn't have given us some of the bargains (quite a few placed charged £180 and i think even somewhere did £174)

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I hope these aren't the new Wii U fruit bundles. Gawd!

Wow. That's insane. Everyone seems to do it though, I looked into price fixing in optical drives and struggled to find a company not under investigation. If only we knew about what the courts don't find.

Bumhead

Banned
Priced too high.

The market has shown it can't and won't support a £250 Wii U and neither Just Dance or Mario Party can or will change that. Especially not when it's the completely flagging Basic pack which is being bundled to sell at that price.

Like someone said above, £179.99 is the absolute maximum this system should be at this point, irrespective of bundles or "value adds", although I'd go even further and say £149.

Paskil

How long before their basic models 8GB HDD is no longer enough to just contain basic system updates? Out of all the things that people complain about for WiiU, I find this the most baffling. Who includes only 8GB of storage on a video game console in 2013? I was hoping they had been smart enough to phase out that model...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How long before their basic models 8GB HDD is no longer enough to just contain basic system updates? Out of all the things that people complain about for WiiU, I find this the most baffling. Who includes only 8GB of storage on a video game console in 2013? I was hoping they had been smart enough to phase out that model...

I'm pretty sure it will be enough to contain basic system updates. And even if it isn't I really don't care. When I get a Wii U I'm not even gonna bother connecting it to the internet. Waste of time. I'm not going to be downloading jack on the system. Wii U will simply be a secondary system for exclusives every now and then. Just like the Wii. I pray they never phase out the basic model. I just want them to lower the price significantly.

Mithos

5GB should be enough for all past, present and future OS updates.

Fillers. I reckon this new selection will do little to generate more sales for the Wii U.

Where are the 3D Land Cherry and Mango bundles?

trulsnes

Neo Member

But price fixing and setting a suggested retail price major difference. You know, one is illegal one isn't.

A bundle with both Wii Party U and Nintendoland together will make for a wonderful Christmas morning. Especially for families with a couple of extra Wii Remotes already.

Nintendoland is the kind of game people really need to play to be sold on, though.

Goodlife

8GB is going to be plenty for system updates.

8GB/32GB are going to be useless if you're planning to use the eshop.
Just plug any external HDD into it and your away.

Top Bottom