• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 Years later and *I* still can't build a PC more powerful than the Xbox One X at the same price. (Step-by-Step Deconstruction)

Codes 208

Name 5 threads in the last 20 threads I made that were "baity".

Then again most of your history is one sentence attacking or non-contribution.
He’s not wrong though. The fact you have to say “in the last 20” is already questionable. Most users here make maybe 3-7 threads a year and you decided to go well beyond that by making that much per day for almost a month straight. That in itself should speak for something. And also, considering This was one your latest threads, yes you do make click-baity titles.
But wait: there’s more!
White suprematists in gaming thread
Original thread regarding discless xbox
I’m not even sure what this one is...
And while not inaccurate, saying the new folding phones are DOA over some reports is a bit melodramatic

For a lot of us, it’s hard to dispute the prime triad of frequent spamming/clickbait/poll threads include you, voost Kaine and Fantasy gate over here.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I think he might have started off as a serious poster. But was mocked and accused of being a troll so often that he's fully embraced the role. He used to reply to almost every dissenting voice. Now he starts a troll thread, sits back and watches for a few pages, then doubles down on the troll.
If that's the case, then Freedom is the subject the forum software should learn from, and become self-aware. This is what you get when you take it too far.

Power Surge Unit:

The PSU is important for cooling to make sure heat escapes and your hardware can maintain it's luster without the fear of overheating.

QzGRKUu.gif

Most users here make maybe 3-7 threads a year and you decided to go well beyond that by making that much per day for almost a month straight.

Which is a lie since the threads have dates. But you're very good and not contributing on the forum and complaining. But the fact you constantly lie (along with like 4 others" of "spam" is just pointless by this point. The top 3 of the 4 threads you listed aren't even baity, and one was backed by the site owner so.........You sure about that?

Last edited:
3 YEARS LATER AND I STILL CAN'T REMOVE THE CRISPY-CANDY SHELL FROM REESE'S PIECES TO GET TO THE SCRUMPTIOUS PEANUT BUTTER INSIDE BEFORE EATING THEM (I'M RATHER UPSET ABOUT THIS SITUATION)

Mod edit is ignorant. Many articles talk about this same thing across gaming media. Unless the Mod would like to prove otherwise with his own breakdown on how he can get the same power as the One X in a small form factor for $400 (he can't) than I will agree with said mod edit, but right now it's objectively wrong.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Afro and Freedom have an inexhaustible supply of baity topics. I've never seen such wanted attention whoring in my life. Its morbidly fascinating.

To be fair to Afro, he seems to hate Freedom's threads as much as the next man.

Codes 208

Which is a lie since the threads have dates. But you're very good and not contributing on the forum and complaining. But the fact you constantly lie (along with like 4 others" of "spam" is just pointless by this point. The top 3 of the 4 threads you listed aren't even baity, and one was backed by the site owner so.........You sure about that?
I love how rather than try to prove me wrong, you just dismiss what I say as lying every time. Denial is the clincher.
To be fair to Afro, he seems to hate Freedom's threads as much as the next man.
He especially hates freedom ‘cause they’re direct competition for your clicks.
SPOILERS! :messenger_pouting:
LOL. EVERYONE IN ENDGAME GE-*gets buttcheeked*

Gamernyc78

Banned
One of the thing that people have stated across the internet who are PS5 and PC fanatics, is that the Xbox One X, when it was revealed in 2017, was pointless, because $500 is a lot of money and you can make a PC for cheaper. That was false then, and was equally false last year. Xbox One X is not only the best value to power ratio (VTP) but it has been a major reason for the yoy increase seen in 2018 from 2017 for sales. Some countries the One X is the best selling model despite its higher price.

Now that the Xbox One X is $399 (and with some controversial game bundles $350) it is becoming more and more the default option if you want powerful gaming.

So in laymens terms, it is not feasibly possible to build a new PC from scratch (or buy one new) that will give you the same flexibility and power of the Xbox One X (without compromise) unless you end up paying more. It is not possible to meet it at the same price, and now we will go through a step-by-step illustration at to why.

GPU and RAM:

The Xbox One X has 12 GB of GDDR5 Ram, and a heavily customized VEGA CPU with heavy feature-set protocols and translucent flexibility for optimization.

The only way you can build a PC to match that GPU is to throw in a Nvidia 1070. Of course you will need RAM as well, but you can actually beat the Xbox One outright with a 1070 with 8GB of ram instead of 12.

The Issue is a Nvidia 1070 GPU and 8GB of DDR5 is $974. Sure you can get a used one for $695, but you aren't buying a used GPU when you are buying a NEW Xbox One X.

CPU:

Due to Intel and AMD delaying on tick tock cycles, the CPU game has been a bit leafy. But now with Ryzen you can produce a cheap powerful CPU for less. The Xbox One X has good specs, but the CPU aspect is the one that's easily beaten, as its core Jaguar of 8 cycles is quite outdated.

You can get a Ryzen 2600X for $179.99, which is a pretty good price.

STORAGE/MEMORY:

With SSD's becoming cheaper, we are seeing many computers adopt SDD over HDD due to the amount of virtual ram computers take up these days, and it allows the optimization of the OS to run smoother. Since the Xbox One X isn't a console, it doesn't need such a thing as its game focused, so a 1TB HDD is fine. HDD are actually slowly becoming more expensive as companies abandon them.

However, since this is about matching the Xbox One X, we need to look at the cost of a HDD for PC builders. Which to be fair, is still cheaper than SSD's anyway, for now.

You can get a refurbished Dell 1 TB Enhanced SATA 3.5 range HDD for $129.95.

MotherBoard:

One thing computer buyers HAVE to buy when building PC from scratch that console owners don't since it's proprietary, is a Motherboard. Without the motherboard your connections and the thing that holds your frontend and backend services together won't exist. Sure the One X has a motherboard but it's basically at no cost in comparison.

Luckily you can get a pretty cheap Motherboard for gaming. You can get a Rog Asus Stix450 for only $119.

Power Surge Unit:

The PSU is important for cooling to make sure heat escapes and your hardware can maintain it's luster without the fear of overheating. The PSU is one of the cheaper parts to buy fortunately. One of the cheapest I can find that can match the Xbox One X efficiency and power draw is the Thermallake RGB 80, which only costs $74.

Operating System:

On the Xbox One X a customized proprietary from of Windows 10 s included for free, and since it's limited due to the specific functions of a game consoles, and isn't a heavy registry backend riddled PC with running processes all over the place, it's also very cheap and easy to give for free.

However, if you build a PC you won't be so lucky. However, Windows 10 isn't too much money by itself. You can buy Windows 10 pro 64-bit edition for around $109. Which matched the 64-bit modified version on the Xbox One which is also based on the pro edition.

Wifi Connector:

Xbox One has wifi built in and the custom hardware is pretty good. However, wifi is very cheap and you can get a TP-Link Wifi connector for only $19.99, so no need to worry.

Controller:

The Xbox One X comes with an Xbox One controller. Xbox One controllers however, are automatically compatible with PCs,so this works out in your favor. The price for a stand-alone new controller at some stores who have deals is $49.99, so you can easily pick one up.

CASE;

Finally, you need a case, a case to put all you built inside of, to hold everything together, and become your tower. Fortunately the last step is the easiest these days. Nowadays, they build the cases so you can easily slot in components without much issue.

You can buy a MicroNZXT 500 case for only $69.99

CONCLUSION AND TOTAL:

When you add up all the necessities, you come to a total of $1725.91!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Xbox One X is currently at max, $399. That's over $1300 LESS than what it would cost to buy a PC with specs that exceed the Xbox One X by the bare minimum.

It is really impressive how they managed to craft such sophisticated hardware in such a way that the price is such a small factor. Truly am amazed at the Surface team, because apparently thy are the ones who made the hardware, and once again, for the third year in a row, you can't build a more powerful PC from scratch, for $400. You have to at least pay over $1700 to reach surpass it.

Keep up the good fight the green team is proud of you :) That Microsoft check might come in sooner than you think.

😂😂😂😂😂

Romulus

OP, you forgot the Blu-Ray drive.

This is actually huge in terms of the argument of cost. Take out the 4K bluray and that gives MS another $70+ of hardware muscle to throw around, which is a metric ton in terms of their discounts, even at $50.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mod edit is ignorant. Many articles talk about this same thing across gaming media. Unless the Mod would like to prove otherwise with his own breakdown on how he can get the same power as the One X in a small form factor for $400 (he can't) than I will agree with said mod edit, but right now it's objectively wrong.

If you stand by your words, then why do you take offense when the onus is on you directly?

Last edited:

Shifty

Yes, the mods won't come in here, I have already proven it to them and they shift the burden on me. They will never show otherwise so the thread title change is wrong.

Thank you for agreeing.
The best part about intentionally misreading a burn is the paper trail. Give a man enough rope... :messenger_winking:

LMAO, calling out the mods again. Didn't you learn your lesson last time you got banned?
OP:
tumblr_mzyaeiLhiN1tq4of6o1_250.gif

Last edited:

Codes 208

Oh dear op has 1070 for $974 How long were you looking for that worst deal? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Rtx 2060 gives you double performance of xbox1x gpu for $350.
“But you can’t buy the other parts for less than the price of an Xbox one x”
I don’t remember but...

Do you need that to play games???
Something something not an accurate comparison to the Xbox or whatever.
Which is kind of dumb, a bulk of PC’s games are digital. sometimes, just sometimes you’ll find a physical copy at GameStop or target but even then it’s always a mere disc. You can spend, like, $20 on a dvd disc drive or $40-50 if you really care for physical media in a Blu-ray Disc drive. But for a pc I’d rather use that extra money on the gpu or motherboard

Codes 208

More specifically physical media is important if you have a laptop. Being able to use that to watch Blu-ray movies. But a desktop? Nah, I have two other systems capable of doing that, I don’t need a third. Especially when I just stream movies and shows nowadays anyway.

Codes 208

Nope, of course, you don't need bluray, but that's not what I was getting at.
Hypothetically adding a 4K Blu-ray to equalize the comparison to an X would still only land the price around $510-530 which is fair to the price of the X.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Yes, the mods won't come in here, I have already proven it to them and they shift the burden on me. They will never show otherwise so the thread title change is wrong.

Thank you for agreeing.
You did not originally include size as a variable in your OP, so to use it now as one is not exactly a strong case of honesty.

Hypothetically adding a 4K Blu-ray to equalize the comparison to an X would still only land the price around $510-530 which is fair to the price of the X.

Actually that would help the OP because then the PC would cost over $100 more since OP says Xbox One X is now $399.

But actually a Blu Ray Drive even in 4k isn't expensive, it's like 35 bucks. Slap a refurbished 580 in a basic case with standard motherboard, a 4K Blu Ray Drive, $15 Mad Catz Xbox clone controller, standard PSU, and 8 GB of Memory and you're about $398.

Some shops throw in windows 10 free if you are buying parts to build. Only thing that would make the price go above a One X is trying to have the same cooling system which ins't needed.

Codes 208

Actually that would help the OP because then the PC would cost over $100 more since OP says Xbox One X is now $399.

But actually a Blu Ray Drive even in 4k isn't expensive, it's like 35 bucks. Slap a refurbished 580 in a basic case with standard motherboard, a 4K Blu Ray Drive, $15 Mad Catz Xbox clone controller, standard PSU, and 8 GB of Memory and you're about $398.

Some shops throw in windows 10 free if you are buying parts to build. Only thing that would make the price go above a One X is trying to have the same cooling system which ins't needed.
Where is the X $399?

Fake edit: oh, it’s on sale for $350 at Walmart apparently and similar prices.

That’s a steep discount but that’s still only a discount, the MSRP is still $499 which is what the OP should aim for but I wouldn’t be surprised by his mental gymnastics.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PC Gaming is way more fun do to the customization process and you're kinda off the grid with all the different parts compared to console tho.

This is the hardware equivalent of an Xbox One X. If you have an old windows 7 key, you can still upgrade for free, or just install Windows 10 and simply not bother registering it. Or you get a third party key for like 30 bucks. You can get a blu-ray drive for $50, but honestly as a PC gamer I haven't used an optical drive in years. The One X released at $499, for that amount of money you can swap the RX580 for a spanking new RTX2060 and get 50% more gaming performance.

Considering that console manufacturers produce in bulk, get more competitive prices than an individual consumer and can sell their hardware at basically zero profit margin, they are still a good deal for those who simply want to game. That being said, your "$1725.91!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is a ridiculous amount of money for what seems to be a pretty crappy system. Like, who in their right mind would buy a 1070 for over $900 when you can get a RTX 2080 for $200 cheaper? For much less, I could put together a system with an RTX 2080 that would easily outperform the One X and play most games in 4k/60fps high settings.

The PSU is important for cooling to make sure heat escapes and your hardware can maintain it's luster without the fear of overheating.

giphy.gif

Now, I'm not hating on console gamers, but this topic is an absolute mess and an utter embarrassment. Don't make topics like this if you have no clue what you're talking about. But hey, thanks for the laugh OP.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
One of the thing that people have stated across the internet who are PS5 and PC fanatics, is that the Xbox One X, when it was revealed in 2017, was pointless, because $500 is a lot of money and you can make a PC for cheaper.
People were saying it was pointless because you could get a PS4 Pro for cheaper and the difference between them was barely noticeable unless you rammed your eyes into the screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom