• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 years later - How do you rank Final Fantasy XV in comparison to the rest of the series?

Final Fantasy XV has been through a lot of loops, originally starting as Versus Xiii and receiving a revamp after numerous delays. With Final Fantasy 7 remake having been delayed this will likely be the only core FF game Square Enix has released this gen.

It's been around 3 years since Final Fantasy XV released and the game has continued to have a polarizing reception by fans till this day, however the game has been a constant success and recently has received a PC release. It is likely by the end of the gen, if it isn't already, to ecome the second best selling game in the franchise.

Whether you like it or hate it, Final Fantasy XV has recovered The series decline significantly after 2 Xiii sequels (the second of which made me put down the series) and an initially broken FFXIV launch. So for those who are fans of Final Fantasy, or those who just enjoy some of the games in the series, I have a question for you.

How do you rank Final Fantasy XV in comparison to the rest of the series?

In terms of story?

In terms of gameplay?

In terms of world and/or exploration?

In design?

In music?

In execution?

Is it one of the best or one of the worst?

I'd love to know your point of view on Final Fantasy XV, as well as how you rank it amongst the rest of the series. As someone who has yet to touch Final Fantasy XV your view points will be very helpful in helping me determine whether I should give FFXV a go or not, along with starting a discussion on Square Enix's current direction with the series. A lot of people are mixed in what direction they are taking the series into currently.

I'm not sure where I'd place it in the FF hierarchy, but I have to make note that the game has one of the best villains in the series.

Last edited:

Ka-Kui

Hard to rank as I haven't played every FF game; but based on what I have played it'll look like this:

1. FFIX
2. FFX
3. FFVII
4. FFVI
5. FFVIII
6. FFXV

It's weakest in almost every criteria for me except for the music which I liked a lot.

EDIT: Also the Kingsglaive movie had better storytelling than the main game which is just sad.

Last edited:

Caffeine

world is fine and music is fine but I feel everything else falls flat. the game is essentially the reverse of 13 starts up open world then bottlenecks into linearity. whereas in 13 the game is linear for hours on ends and then opens up in gran pulse. i'm gonna send u on this trip with your bros before u get married with a few twists in there idk the game doesn't feel like final fantasy till chapter 7.

there are side characters with more depth than some main characters...they try to invoke emotion on some guy u met an hour ago. the only awesome thing the game had going was ardyn.

so anyway I dont really have a specific order, but lets just say it wouldn't be in my top 10 and that I would have 13 on that list.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Gonna be honest here... Loved it. My fave Final Cantasy game since 7. Not even sorry. Hated 8, sadly missed the chance to play 9 when it was out, hated 10 so never got 10-2, no 11 as it was online, never played 12, and as for 13 and 13-2, well... ugh...

So yeah, loved it. Really did. Might be a bit of an odd thing to hear but oh well :)

its been two years
and I think it was a good Final Fantasy, on par with X but inferior to the PS1 FF's

It's been around 3 years since the game was released in 2016. Sure you can use a technicality and say "around 3 years" shouldn't apply until August since it was released in Nov 2016 but it's still been more than two years.

danielberg

Neophyte
Marginally better than 13 only because that it heads in a more correct direction than ff13 has...
If the game had kingdom hearts 2 tier combat it would be really good and it would rank hight just based on doing monster hunts... but as the combat is now yeah no and the story certainly doesnt carry it either.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It's tough cos each one is very unique, that is why i like the series so much. I enjoyed this but have not finished this one yet. The other one I did that for was IX, and I want to finish both some day. FF gameplay has just never been the most engaging.

In terms of story?
It was alright. It reminded me of FFVIII in a lot of ways. Not as good as VI, VII, or X, but still pretty decent, and much better than the XIII games, which played well but were utterly incomprehensible.

In terms of gameplay?
The graphics were wonderful, as they always are with FF, and the animation was wonderful. The fluid real time fighting was very cinematic, and I enjoyed the enemy variety, as they did not shy away from goblins and the weirder fantasy creatures, even with the realistic presentation. The car was a blessing and a curse, and the game did fall into scrolling through menus a lot and watching load screens between quests.

The world looked wonderful. Having everything as a shiny spark instead of a treasure chest or rendered object was lame. Still, lots of care was put into this world, it feels like a real place, with mystical elements, and it is nice to visit.

In design?
Enemy design was top notch, maybe the best since VII. I love all the main characters, more memorable than any since X. Cidney yes pls. The summons, always the showstopper of any FF game, were worth the money.

In music?
Really quite good. FF games never really falter, even when it is really quite strange (XIII-2) it is always nice to listen to, upbeat, never makes you bored.

In execution?
The presentation overall is very nice. They still excel at this.

This is tough. I feel like it is very good, that it is far easier to play than many of the older games, that the map design & random fights that take up the majority of playing time on RPGs is really easy, not a huge time commitment, & looks incredible. If you favor gameplay, and the strategic combat of X or XIII, this one may be lacking, and that is a shame. When I ordered the game, it gave me an OP weapon as a free download, thus combat has really been a mindless proposition, I just use the weapon zoom special attack and it does a ton of damage and makes everything super easy. Still, the characters are well-defined, the story is finally relatable again, and all the old iconic FF trappings are present and wonderfully rendered. One of the better entries overall.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It’s so different from the others that it’s hard to make a direct comparison.

Story: it’s OK. You need to watch the movie to understand WTF is going on. So many important events happen offscreen only for your party to find out about them second hand (e.g. learning about the invasion of your kingdom by reading it in the newspaper the next day). Also there’s this weird tone to it... it should be gravely serious, but you’re having this leisurely bro road trip until you eventually get around to saving your damn kingdom.

Music: among the best

Gameplay: battle system is very fun and among the best. However you spend so much time doing stupid MMO-style “find the shiny dots” quests. Also there’s not much variety in how you build your party. One of the things that makes me want to return to past FF games is to experiment with other party builds, but there’s not much to do differently in a second run of FF.

Overall I’d put it in the middle. It’s a fun game that’s worth playing.

Mr Hyde

I´m playing it right now and I would probably rank it as my all time favourite FF next to number seven, nine and thirteen. The world building is incredible and each area is telling a story of a world gone to shit by years of conflicts. The graphics are really impressive and enhances the immersion with its attention to detail and overall grand design.

The story is simple and easy to follow and I like it that way. FF is at its best when the core themes are lighthearted but still flavored with little bits of angst and redemption, about heroism and chosen ones. and when its about crystals and good versus evil. Noctis journey to become a king is intriguing and its a path I´m willing to take more than once. The Kingsglaive movie ties in nicely with the game but it had been better if Square Enix could have put some of that into the game instead of wasting resources on movies and other products just to get the complete arc of the story.

FF XV has a charismatic villain in Ardyn and I think he holds up well with the best antagonists in the series. Not quite the legendary status of Sephiroth or Kefka, but he clearly beats out Seymour, Kuja, Ultimecia and Dysley when it comes to villainous crooks. Other notable characters that I like is Aranea and Versteal, the crazy mad doctor who is in charge of the Magitek Inventions and soldiers.

The music by Yoko Shimomura is simply outstanding. It has some of the best fighting themes in the series and combined with all the other classic FF-soundtracks the music in this game just oozes with quality. I love to ride in the car listening to the soundtracks of VI, VII and IX, as it instantly travels me back to the good old days of a carefree youth and all you wanted was to play some FInal Fantasy.

The combat is excellent and is probably the main draw that keeps me coming back to this game. It´s fluid, fast and energizing. Noctis has cool powers he can use such as the Armiger (which excels in bad assery when it´s unleashed) and warp strikes. He can combine weapons and perform link strikes with his comrades and you can also swap characters for different play styles which adds more variety to it. The general feel of friends that help each others in dire situations and tough fights is well executed in this game and only serves to strengthen the bonds between me and the protagonists. A subtle way of storytelling, in that actions speaks louder than words.

The camping and road trips are also great and for the first time fully fleshed out in a Final Fantasy. We have seen the heroes share their journeys and sit around bonfires talking to each other before, but not quite like this. There is a sense of comradery at display all the times and the focus on the four main heroes friendship is a highlight throughout the game which i really dig. They have their own speciality which makes them stand out from each other such as Promptos photography, which captures all the fun moments in the game.

I feel FF XV is a return to form despite the rocky release which was kinda awful with a lot of stripped content. I believe this hurt the game immensely and contributed to much of the fan hate against the game. Had Square Enix shipped the game in its Royal Edition-state from the get go, it could have been viewed as a classic. Because I feel Final Fantasy XV is the game that captures the old school feeling of the series best, and it has so many references and call backs to the other games, such as music, combat moves, weapons, characters, lore and airship. It´s so much fun to explore the world and uncover the secrets that lies within and it provides hundreds of hours of quality content.

It´s such a shame that Square mismanaged the game for so long that it got a bad rep. But even so, the final product that it ultimately became is a terrific game and a top notch entry in one of the best JRPG-series in the world.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
Worst FF ever.

Amen.
It made me go back and play and appreciate the FF13 Trilogy.

FFXV is a colossal disappointment and not only because it sucks as a game.
It sucks also because the game took forever to come out. Then Square Enix had the audacity to throw an announcement party to announce when they were going to announce the release date. Yes, you heard it correctly. A freaking party to announce when they were going to announce the release date of the game.

But wait, Square Enix wasn't done yet.
After the release date was announced(another party mind you), they ended up delaying the game.

But wait,Square Enix's shenanigans still wasn't done. Upon release, the game was unfinished and still is today and will never be finished.

That's why FFXV is easily the worst piece of garbage to be called Final Fantasy.

ethomaz

Banned
A bad game.
A even worst FF.

The cut story telling is an abomination.
Gameplay is subpar.

Graphics are good.

TOP3 worst FF (no order): FFII, FFXIII, FFXV... to be fair FFXV made FFXIII looks a bit better than it is.

Last edited:
Broken.
Incomplete.
Badly designed.
Poorly written.
Terrible gameplay.
Bad characters.
Unappealing world.
Nice lighting.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like FFXV made same mistake as FFXIII made by going too far with linear design but this time they went too far opposite end. Maybe they should look at games like DQ and Xenoblade and learn how to balance of having open area to explore while having linear story progression.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's been 3 years already??? The fuck?

It hasn't. It has been little over 2. The game released in Nov of 2016. It is only Jan of 2019.

As for the topic: FFXV was a good game, but it had its flaws which definitely brought it down a considerable amount. However, I still think it is by far the superior game to the truly awful titles in the franchise like Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy XIII.

cdthree

In terms of story?

It felt like parts of the story were chopped and shown off screen, hard to understand and have an emotional impact to what's going on.

In terms of gameplay?

Fighting was lackluster, and the whole sword throwing mechanic was bad.

I really enjoyed the open world aspects and missions. Didn't like that the world design was bland and had the same feel. Didn't feel like Final Fantasy, don't know if that's because it's set in the modern world with cars and gas stations. Summons are horrific. If felt like a new IP that they slapped Final Fantasy on.

In design?

Chapters 1-9 are good, 10-14 were bad.

In music?

Ok

In execution?

The last 4 chapters were thrown together to get the game out of the door.

My favorite is FFX. Honestly, FF XV isn't even a Final Fantasy game so it can't be the worse. No story, summons not a big part of the game. Lacks Japanese charm, and weirdness.

D.Final

Banned
Final Fantasy XV has been through a lot of loops, originally starting as Versus Xiii and receiving a revamp after numerous delays. With Final Fantasy 7 remake having been delayed this will likely be the only core FF game Square Enix has released this gen.

It's been around 3 years since Final Fantasy XV released and the game has continued to have a polarizing reception by fans till this day, however the game has been a constant success and recently has received a PC release. It is likely by the end of the gen, if it isn't already, to ecome the second best selling game in the franchise.

Whether you like it or hate it, Final Fantasy XV has recovered The series decline significantly after 2 Xiii sequels (the second of which made me put down the series) and an initially broken FFXIV launch. So for those who are fans of Final Fantasy, or those who just enjoy some of the games in the series, I have a question for you.

In terms of story?

In terms of gameplay?

In design?

In music?

In execution?

I'd love to know your point of view on Final Fantasy XV, as well as how you rank it amongst the rest of the series. As someone who has yet to touch Final Fantasy XV your view points will be very helpful in helping me determine whether I should give FFXV a go or not, along with starting a discussion on Square Enix's current direction with the series. A lot of people are mixed in what direction they are taking the series into currently.

For me, and I played all the Final Fantasy games, it's the best.
(or, anyway, my favorite)

In the ranking:

1: Final Fantasy XV
2: Final Fantasy VI
3: Final Fantasy IX

In terms of story?

It is the biggest, and most colossal, story of Final Fantasy ever told.

With the realization of a huge Universe, and a truly amazing and spectacular Lore.
(one of the biggest for a Final Fantasy game)

In terms of gameplay?

It has a spectacular gameplay.
The fastest and most dynamic of the whole saga.
Summon are epic.
The fantastic Royal Weapons.
Powerful magic, and exceptional techniques.
And also the combined attacks, and the combos are stratospheric.

In terms of world and / or exploration?

Eos is a beautiful and exceptional world.
Alive, and beautiful to see and explore.

With really beautiful Dungeons (among the best of the saga)
And exploring it with the Chocobo and / or Regalia is beautiful.

In design?

Monster design is perfect.
(some monster is from FF 2 and FFV)

In music?

OST is pure epicity.
Simply wonderful.

In execution?

The execution of the Narrative Universe of the game is good, but not perfect.
Because of the problems of rewriting the project over more than 10 years since its inception as a concept, it was difficult for the structure to hold up perfectly and intact.

Because of this many choices have been made, and there are those who have been happy and who are not.

The project, overall, is able to fully express its main message.
That is the sense of travel with friends.

And this, added to an intriguing and epic Lore, make the project sufficiently solid to be interesting and beautiful.

For me it is undoubtedly one of the best.

Despite some flaws, which also have the best titles as TW3, Final Fantasy XV manages to be a masterpiece of his own.
And an excellent Final Fantasy.

And it is one of the best game of this generation.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

The move to non-party based action rpg makes comparisons hard as it really is a different kind of game. I miss ATB because that was the perfect marriage of real time action with turn based tactical decisions; and there are so many AAA action it sucks that FF is now that. It was inevitable though, as that is what is required to sell 10 million plus.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Looking back at it, I would have preferred class based team fights, more like Dragon's Dogma since its open world. Combat was way to hectic and flashy and seemed like it was just fireworks and zooming all of the time. Had no weight and felt like you just wanna combo and not hit the ground.

And yeah, the characters weren't really likable and had no charisma to me, more like a lot of goofin' off for a long time and stumbling into the serious shit in the story. The seriousness was lost to me partly because of the facial animations and lack of real emotions showing through.

And telling the story via multi media like movies/other small games didn't do it for me. It really was incomplete in that sense. Keeping it in one place as a package from start to finish would have been a better choice.

They dreamed/aimed big and missed the mark by a wide margin.

I would place it above FF13 and below FF12 by a lot.

EDIT: Even with all its faults, I still finished it but it didn't leave a lasting impression aside from "I'VE COME UP WITH A NEW RECIPE!"

Last edited:

kiphalfton

It's been around 3 years since the game was released in 2016. Sure you can use a technicality and say "around 3 years" shouldn't apply until August since it was released in Nov 2016 but it's still been more than two years.

Um no it hasn't even been close to 3 years.

Release date was November 29, 2016. That was 2 years, 1 month, and 15 days. Again, not even close to 3 years...

Bkdk

The open world part is alright for 15-20 hours, but nothing much to explore, worst dungeons of the series by far. Combat is fun for awhile but it’s just sword fight and all those unique magic effects from FF is basically gone, only cool ones left are those from the summons. Also hated the protagonist and the companions.

I think the biggest issue comes from trying to make the atmosphere looks like reality and that really breaks the game for me. I was hoping 15 to be an improved version of FF12 with mass open world with unique atmosphere and fancy magic effects and bestiary, unfortunately it’s not even close and turns out to be very disappointing. So many JRPGs stay true to their roots and I like them just fine, stop with these reality bullcrap. Cindy and Ardyn are the only thing I kinda like about this game yet the devs just don’t throw much attention to them.

CatCouch

I enjoyed it. Got the platinum right when it came out. If they didn't cancel the last of the DLC I would have played it again with all the DLC and new stuff added as I haven't touched it since December 2016.

It's no where near the heights of FFVII, X and XII for me but I do have quite fond memories of XV now. The long wait for it, the incomplete nature of it's initial release and the cancellation of the last DLC parts hurt the game a lot for me, though. I want to see square bring back non-human party member and scale down to manageable development cycles so I can just enjoy these games without years of speculation and fights about what the hell is happening with it (looking at FFVIIR).

I put it around the XIII trilogy. I like it but it's not what I liked about FF. Cindy is my favorite part of the game and that should not be, lol~

Graciaus

The worst game in the main series and the only one I stopped playing. The future of the series looks awful after multiple bad games that sold well.

dottme

If we only count the first part of the game in the initial open world, it will be really good. I like the combat and the story was ok. The music were great and I enjoyed the trips in the car just to enjoy the music.
However, the end of the ga,me is bad to really bad. And this is what you remember the most.

So globally, it’s not really good. But mainly because it wasn’t finished correctly. The end was so bad that I completely disregard the DLCs that I might have bought based omen the beginning of the game.

wzy

FFXV is a tedious, meandering pile so bloated with irrelevant crap that it may as well be the series' third MMO.

It's too long by about 30 hours, stretching out a plot that couldn't fill one season of a Netflix series and yet somehow justified a feature-length companion film. It's too shallow to coast on its combat and progression systems, neither of which would feel out of place in a mobile game. It's too bland and artless to work as a big-budget asset tour unless you've been hit in the head really hard with a hammer and it made you like rustic industrial design, in which case I recommend visiting any farm, steel mill, or coal mine. And even if you don't care about anything related to Final Fantasy and just want the open-world grind, it's fucking miserable to actually play! Enemy encounters are non-descript and generally take longer to resolve than any turn-based entry in the series and your allies are so useless that the entire second half of the game becomes one long escort mission. It takes ages before they let you drive your own damn car, the sidequests are indistinguishable, the game world is crawling with advertisements and bereft of interior locales, the story is absurdly bad and the non-combat activities are nothing special at all by the standards of the genre.

Oh, and the games central musical theme is a cover by a pop musician--just in case you're wondering just how grossly insulting and antagonistic a series can be to its core fanbase without actually sending corporate goons around to punch them in the face. Not only is the game a mess, its a mess they expect you to buy in installments. It's bad enough to make the previous four games look good which is genuinely shocking. Hard pass.

Last edited:

royox

In terms of story?

Good Intentions, complete mess of storytelling. Random events happening here and there without any logical explanation AT LEAST when the game was released. I know after 3 years they added free cutscenes explaining some plotholes but still there are many. Most of the important stuff happens in the MANDATORY 2h prologue movie, the most important piece of the lore is just a bunch of papers scattered randomly around the planet and till you finish the game you don't even know those were important. The storytelling is so bad it doesn't make you care enough of some important characters (5 minutes of screentime can't make me care about you, sorry). The MC gets more emotional at some random NPC's death that at his own dad. After some BRUTAL events the first thing one of your party members say is "Hey Noct what kind of pictures should I take!!!!!".

The game feels like it was made in 100 separated pieces and they somehow managed to mix them but in a hurry and without thinking about the consequences. Now everybody is crying, 1 minute later we are feeding a f*cking cat, now we are in the most of the hurries, 30 seconds later the idiot of the party wants to see the god damn Chocobos.

In terms of gameplay?

Good intentions, complete mess. Worst camera I've seen in a 3D action game in my life. Everything blocks your view, any tinny bush, every tree, a fence, the camera gets stuck at any little thing making the combat a "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING!!" experience. Gameplaywise? "Hold triangle to win". Some good intentions with directionals (you change your combo based on the direction you are holding) but 99,99999% of the times is just for eye candy. The only usefull one is the mid-air side step.

FinalFantasy Wise? The FF with less magic options. Magic is just elemental grenades you can collect on the world. There are only 3 kinds of magic: Fire, Thunder, Ice. That's it. No heal, esuna, protect, speed, bio, stone, aero, gravity and a big etc of magic that EVERY ff game has since the NES era. Summons are also just EyeCandy. It's the FF with less Summons and all the summons are random. You don't choose when and where you want to summon, you can be fighting the hardest of the foes and nobody will come, 5 minutes later you are fighting a lvl3 cactuar and fucking Ramuh comes to destroy the contintent with Lightning. It's stupid and retarded.

EYE CANDY, THE GAME. The world is beautyful and...that's it. It's a barren world with 0 interaction filled with invisible walls (you can't jump over 50cm tall rocks because reasons). You even have invisible walls when flying. It's an "open world wannabe". Traveling with the car is on rails and fast travel is a mess of managing menus and long as hell loading screens (+2 minutes loading screens some times).

There is 1 City and half of another (a loading screen mess is NOT a city). The rest of the world is just filled with the same Gas Station copy-pasted 100 times around the world with 2-3 NPC to interact (1 to sell food, 1 to sleep, 1 to buy stuff).

But not everything is bad, there are lots of hidden caves and dungeons where you can find extra optional stuff. That's the only part of the open world I personally enjoyed, the game at least does a good job at Letting you play the Pathfinder..

In design?

Is this about bugs? At least I can say it was bug-less for me.

In music?

PERFECT

In execution?

HORRIBLE. It's the best example of very good ideas very bad executed. The game doesn't have a clear target of what it wants to be. Half the game is "let's have a fun trip with my friends!!!!" and the other half is "EVERYBODY IS DEAD OR IS GOING TO DIE!!!!!!". Every sidequest of this game is just POINTLESS FedEX simulator. "But most rpg are FedEX simulators" yeah but at least those quest most of the times are there to expand the world and the lore. I had to find like 10 stones for an idiot before he dropped any worldbuilding information. And I don't remember any other game where I had to find stuff for the stores so they could sell that stuff to ME after that.

An incomplete game with one of the worst gameplays and worst storytelling of the franchise is of course one of the worst.

But!!! Don't get me wrong, the game is still FUN if you play it with your brain set in /off. The party banter is one of the best I remember in a JRPG (never better than ToVesperia but still very good).

If one thing we can know for sure is that the next FF will NOT keep the "FFXV direction". Just watch FFXIV: ShadowBringers trailer to make a better idea of what direction FF will keep.

Last edited:

royox

It was much better than XIII. That is all that matters.

Heh, at least not for me. At least FFXIII was a complete story itself and didn't need 5 DLC, a movie, 3 animes, an anime precuel of a DLC precuel, a book and other stuff to be able to understand the basic story.

XIII had of course lots of problems (storytelling being a mess included) but at least It felt like a FF with your magic, summons, battles...

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
It is my favorite game of the series. I played pretty much all the single player games from the series.

FF XV is still a very unique proposal in the video-game landscape, a whole that is define by its own ideas, not really caring what is mainstream or frequent in other games in the genre.

It puts its focus on many aspects that you don't see often :
- the interaction between the characters and how "alive" they feel (number of animations and sentences spoken is absolutely insane)
- the oppressing atmosphere and good design of its dungeons
- the exploration with the car and the time spent simply looking at the world
- the power of its narrative, and the fact that it is a narrative that does not try to fill all the holes (which somehow goes back to the roots of the genre)
- great combat design too, once that you mastered it. Spells are pretty useless however
- the time spent camping, cooking and fishing
- its technical achievements with a huge world that can be fully traversed and can see enormous enemies and summons without any loading

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I liked everything a bit. I would sum up the game as "nice". It plays nice, has nice music, nice battles, nice everything, but what do you usually do with things you call "nice"? You put them away and forget about them. I don't really care about the world, the characters, story, weapons, monster, etc. very few memorable moments. I played it for about 30 hours and enjoyed them for the most part but I felt like it was always just the same thing and after playing a few hours I have practically seen and done everything and I knew I would just keep repeating the same "ok" stuff forever. There wasn't anything driving me forward and there is no interesting character developments (all characters started already developed fully). In comparison to my favourite FF game (XIII-2) it just can't compare in any single category. The graphics might be technically better in XV but aesthetically are much more bland than in XIII-2. The characters have a very predictable interaction and chemistry in XV as opposed to XIII-2 and combat is a LOT more fun in XIII-2, as is the story, world-building and especially music. Also, the antagonist in XV is so bland I don't even know who the real antagonist (if there even is one) is. Caius Ballad on the other hand is a fantastic antagonist.

- the interaction between the characters and how "alive" they feel (number of animations and sentences spoken is absolutely insane)
I dunno. When it comes to quests yeah, but that is in every RPG game, but in open world I kept hearing the same couple of things over and over again. Noctis keeps asking if he asked about some coffee for example. Ad in battle each character has a few lines they repeat endlessly: "prince of pain", "no time for horseplay", "that's crossing the line", "you're on fire today", "what can I say".
- the exploration with the car and the time spent simply looking at the world and the time spent camping, cooking and fishing
My favourite part of the game by far. Never used fast travel myself and just enjoyed looking at the scenery. Riding on Chocobos is also a lot of fun.
Spells are pretty useless however
Interesting. I challenged myself not to use spells since most of the time they insta-gibbed everything and ended all encounters in a second. They felt like a nuke to me.

Last edited:

klosos

I cant really say to to be honest , i bought it 6 months ago on steam , i played about 6-10 hours of it and uninstalled , the two reasons why uninstalled it was 1- the combat got boring as fuck quickly and 2 - god the characters was so bland and annoying , am not sure of the characters name , the little blond dude with the gun needs a punch upside his head.

its the worst Final fantasy game i have played to date , i haven't played ff 13 series of games tho

Last edited:
The story is trash but aside that I lke it a lot and truly don't understand the heavy hate on it.

- Graphics are great (PC version is beautiful)

- Music is better than great

- The chemistry among the characters is very well developed.

- The "mood" of the game is very optimistic and enlightening, even in the darker parts.

Yes, it's on the easy side , battles are spectacular but no difficulty at all. There's little use of magic as well and weapons don't feel different from one another. The story has holes kept for DLC to fill in that are not acceptable because they don't feel natural. That sucks.

Compared to "old" FF, I can see why this is so much trashtalked but in the context of moder Final Fantasy, it is superior to all the previous instalments.

royox

It puts its focus on many aspects that you don't see often :
- the power of its narrative, and the fact that it is a narrative that does not try to fill all the holes (which somehow goes back to the roots of the genre)

There is a diference between a narrative that doesn't try to fill all the holes (FFVII for example) and narrative that doesn't explain basic stuff of the game (FFXV). You ended the game not knowing shit about the gods, the empire and the starscourge. Plus lots and lots of plotholes, characters changing completely their minds or behaviour from one cutscene to the other, characters acting as they are literally retarded (nobody suspecting shit from Ardin, a guy that yells "OPEN THE DOOR" in front of an imperial gate and they open it).

- the exploration with the car and the time spent simply looking at the world

How is that good? "Travel from A to B literally doing NOTHING for 5 straight minutes". How is that good gameplaywise? No. Last time a game did that (Zelda Wind Waker) you at least had to play with the Wind, dodge sharks/pirates and hunt treasures. In FFXV is just an excuse to go to the WC.

- its technical achievements with a huge world that can be fully traversed and can see enormous enemies and summons without any loading

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES
XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X
XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2

All them do that 100 times better than FFXV with more towns, more npc's, more landscapes than just a big desert and 2 forests, bigger enemies...shit in XCX you can even pilot giant mechs, fly around and fight giant bosses with them. Nothing FFXV did was impressive after playing a Xenoblade game. Nothing FFXV did was impressive Overworldwise after playing The Witcher 3 or literally any other open world game of this generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom