• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 fps killing my eyes! Devs should abandon it!

Just my two cents. When I play TTP games 30fps is fine enough, when games are not fast paced and motion blur is moderate - Witcher 3, Assassins Creed series , RDR2 or even Sony exclusives like The Last of Us , Ghost of Tsushima, God of War (2018) etc. - feel fluid and responsive at 30fps. Especially Sony exclusives and its fun to just lay back on couch and play it with gamepad.

But boy, if I open up fps game on my PS4 Pro now and it's capped at 30fps, with a lot of motion blur I'm actually really nauseous and it's not really fun to play games like that.

For example Far Cry series, I bought 3,4,5 on PSN when it was extra cheap. So far I've only completed Far Cry 3 and I try to play Far Cry 4 but I get nauseous and irritated a lot, especially when I switch from COD MW2019 to Far Cry 4.

Another example, I tried playing Middle-earth: Shadow of War after completing AC: Origins -had SoW in library from PS Plus I think, and it was a choppy mess at 30fps. AC: Origins felt fluid at 30fps compared to Shadow of War. Shadow of War had a lot of motion blur, was really unresponsive for me, also sprinting was on X button, not on L3 like in AC, so it was number of things which made this game not fun to play at all. Taking away camera control while sprinting definitely was one of them.

Last edited:
What frame pacing issues? I didn’t notice any odd frame pacing in guardians and I’m pretty sensitive to bad frame pacing.

There was hitching causing frame pace stutters that I experienced on series x 30fps mode. Also frame rate issues at the end of the game in 60fps mode. Also pretty bad audio issues again at the end of the game (may have been the home theatre setup I use). I adored the game regardless but this was my experience.

ethomaz

Banned
(because it's not)
Well it actually is.
Never had any issue playing 30fps games on console.

On PC 30fps is that bad? Or it just like you saying that can only drink $10 water because the $1 water is terrible bad? lol

There is nothing wrong at all with 30fps games.
Now if it is a taste issue then it is with you and not the 30fps.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Well it actually is.

On PC 30fps is that bad? Or it just like you saying that can only drink $10 water because the $1 water is terrible bad? lol

🤣

Well it actually is.

unfortunately it is a taste thing. no sense in arguing. i'm not saying 30fps is UNPLAYABLE. but the one thing everyone can agree on is that 60fps is better than 30 right?? like, everything else equal, we'd all choose 60fps over 30fps.

Doesn't kill my eyes, but I *highly* prefer 60+ fps.

Playing through Red Dead 2 on PC now. At first tried 1440p30. Then switched to 1080p60.

For my own taste and preference,
1080p60 >>>>>> 1440p30

skit_data

Watched the Raising Kratos documentary recently where they included PS4 footage of God of War 2018 and yes, I am now blind.

Jokes aside, since getting the PS5 I have quickly realized how much of a difference it makes. I hope we will keep getting a 60fps option in most games for the rest of this generation.

I must admit i’m getting pretty sick and intolerant of 30fps at least for new games. I can always adjust for the classics and it’s not a deal breaker if say a good switch exclusive is 30fps but man 60fps should really really be standard. Although thankfully these switch exclusives usually aim for 60.

Actually devs on ps5 should shoot for 120fps more. Have a 60fps mode be the standard and then have an optional 120 mode. We need 120fps for truly smooth motion on sample and hold displays, esp. oled.

There was hitching causing frame pace stutters that I experienced on series x 30fps mode. Also frame rate issues at the end of the game in 60fps mode. Also pretty bad audio issues again at the end of the game (may have been the home theatre setup I use). I adored the game regardless but this was my experience.
Ah, I played it on PS5 and I didn't see any hitching or anything like that. There is the odd occasional screen tear though in ray tracing mode.

unfortunately it is a taste thing. no sense in arguing. i'm not saying 30fps is UNPLAYABLE. but the one thing everyone can agree on is that 60fps is better than 30 right?? like, everything else equal, we'd all choose 60fps over 30fps.
That's the thing though, 60 and 30 are not equal. There are always cutbacks to make a game run at 60fps no matter how powerful the hardware is.

It's simple math really. You can squeeze more processing into a 33.33ms frame than a 16.66ms frame.

So yeah, it's not as objective as you may think. Maybe YOU think 60fps is ALWAYS better, but not me. I go for the higher quality details because that's what I enjoy.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is the silver-lining of cross-gen. We're all getting used to 60 frames, at least, and hopefully the demand will be there for the future.

Choosing between 30fps and 60fps is like choosing uncomfortable headphone with great sound vs comfortable headphones with mediocre sound.

I'd go with a little less comfort to hear all the details and nuances in the songs I listen to and I do the same thing with video games. I wanna see all the effects and details they can possibly offer at the cost of some fluidness.

Hunnybun

Choosing between 30fps and 60fps is like choosing uncomfortable headphone with great sound vs comfortable headphones with mediocre sound.

I'd go with a little less comfort to hear all the details and nuances in the songs I listen to and I do the same thing with video games. I wanna see all the effects and details they can possibly offer at the cost of some fluidness.

Do you not find it hard to actually see much detail once the game starts moving, though?

Because what I find irritating about the 30fps crowd is the way they act like it's a case of graphics vs playability. Because for me it's more like clarity when looking at a still screen vs clarity in motion. And therefore clarity in motion is the obvious winner. It's a graphics issue for me. Something like Miles Morales looks awful to me in its fidelity mode. It's genuinely like looking at a slide show. I can't really make out much detail unless I stop and focus on something.

ethomaz

Banned
If it is a taste thing then fine.
I still thing the trade off for 60fps games are way too big for my tastes and 30fps plays perfectly fine.

Destiny was 30fps and it never bothered me… put over 1500 hours… best gunplay I ever played in game something that 60fps shooter never archived.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Do you not find it hard to actually see much detail once the game starts moving, though?

Because what I find irritating about the 30fps crowd is the way they act like it's a case of graphics vs playability. Because for me it's more like clarity when looking at a still screen vs clarity in motion. And therefore clarity in motion is the obvious winner. It's a graphics issue for me. Something like Miles Morales looks awful to me in its fidelity mode. It's genuinely like looking at a slide show. I can't really make out much detail unless I stop and focus on something.
This is one of the core issues most peeps don't get. Resolutions is not only spatially in x and y screen resolution, it's also in time steps, aka fps. Higher fps helps with image clarity in motion and makes reactions and controls better. I preferer a game to be designed for 60 fps from the start, then you can make a beautiful game that also runs well. Demon's Souls is a great example of this.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

This is one of the core issues most peeps don't get. Resolutions is not only spatially in x and y screen resolution, it's also in time steps, aka fps. Higher fps helps with image clarity in motion and makes reactions and controls better. I preferer a game to be designed for 60 fps from the start, then you can make a beautiful game that also runs well. Demon's Souls is a great example of this.

Yeah, I'm not saying that 60fps is always the best increase in graphics you can possibly get for roughly 2x the GPU cost, but it IS always a very substantial upgrade indeed. At least for me.

Overall I just kind of think it's time, now. Unless we're just going to stay at 30fps forever - does anyone seriously want that? - then at SOME point we're going to have a slightly less impressive generational upgrade to get to the new standard. But once we're there, that's it then. Next time we can move on without having to worry about trading fidelity for performance.

I remember people saying that we could be getting 60fps gaming back when the fucking Dreamcast was coming up to release! Man, it's long enough. Take the hit now - it's not even that big a sacrifice given how good it looks, as you say - and then we're good for the foreseeable.

Great question. I find that looking at 1080p at 60fps is more distracting by having to look at a blurry image, and it’s exasperated by the additional frames making the blurry image even more noticeable.

I have no issue with the image not looking sharp at 30fps though.

I’ll say one thing though, I’m talking about 3rd person games. 1st person games should always be 60fps (and typically they are, even on last gen)

ethomaz

Banned

A blurry image is way more distracting than 30 vs 60fps.

I couldn’t play Killzone Shadowfall MP due the ridiculous blurry image at 60fps while the SP was great at 30fps.

Last edited:

Warablo

Locked 30 fps isn't the worst, but its really jarring when you're used to like high frames like 80+ and it drops to 40-50 in other games.

Spaceman292

Banned

But you can only see that detail when the camera isn't moving

TonyK

I noticed when I play at 30fps I play differently than when I play at 60fps.

When I play at 60fps my eyes watch the scenario and search for elements all the time during camera movement, but at 30, it's as if I was only watching the scenario when I stop the camera, so I move the camera but my vision in not focusing in anything of the scenario, but continuously I'm stopping the camera for a second to watch. Sounds weird but it's something automatic. When I come from playing a 60fps game, 30fps feels jarring because I try to focus on elements of the scenario when moving the camera. But after a while, when naturally I return to move, stop and watch, 30 fps feels comfortable again.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

When I play at 60fps my eyes watch the scenario and search for elements all the time during camera movement, but at 30, it's as if I was only watching the scenario when I stop the camera, so I move the camera but my vision in not focusing in anything of the scenario, but continuously I'm stopping the camera for a second to watch. Sounds weird but it's something automatic. When I come from playing a 60fps game, 30fps feels jarring because I try to focus on elements of the scenario when moving the camera. But after a while, when naturally I return to move, stop and watch, 30 fps feels comfortable again.
I'd say that the way you play at 60 is just a better way to play games. At least in games that have things that, yknow, move around. Most games.

nkarafo

Can they? Pretty sure there are people who seem to like 30fps because it's "cinematic". Crazy, i know. But we do live in a crazy world.

I can't tell the difference between 60 and 120fps. They look identical to me.
You would, if someone demonstrated it to you correctly. And let me tell you, there is a big difference, especially in modern panels that have ghosting which clears up as the frame rate increases. At 240fps, on a proper 240hz monitor, the motion is almost as crystal clear as on a CRT. 60fps looks blurry by comparison.

That's because 30fps is not fast enough and everything looks jerky and too blurry when in motion. Especially when said motion is fast, like when you freely move the camera around. This becomes even worse when motion blur is enabled on top of all that mess (don't forget LCDs also have their own ghosting/motion blur added in). It becomes drunk-o-vision.

60fps is fast enough to give you the needed visual information, even during motion. Fast enough but still not perfect...

With high frame rate monitors this becomes even better (if you can hit those frame rates). The problem with modern panels is that even at 60fps, there's still some blurriness left because of the built in LCD ghosting. A 60fps game on a LCD is far more blurry than the same 60fps game on a CRT. But as you go further than 60, this blurriness goes away. I play older games at 240fps and it's like heaven for my eyes. You really need to see how smooth and clear the moving picture is to appreciate it.

And btw, i also found that 60fps isn't even fast enough for a certain genre of games... Pinball games.

As i build pincabs using Visual Pinball X, i noticed that at 60fps it's still hard for your eyes to follow the ball when it bounces left and right at very high speeds (while the table is static). I tested this at 120fps on my high frame rate monitor and the difference is night and day. At 120fps there are just enough frames of the fast moving ball so your eyes can easily follow it even when it travels like a bullet. At 240fps it's like looking at a real ball behind your monitor's panel. Input lag is also reduced at those high frame rates which is essential for Pinball, since the flippers need to have an absolute immediate response on your input. 60fps barely passes this test.

Obviously, at 30fps this thing is unplayable. Not in the hyperbolic way we say this most of the time. Visual Pinball is literally unplayable at 30fps.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This reminds me of when I hadn't played any game at sub-60 fps for a long time, and then revisited Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS5 prior to the performance patch. I swear it made me slightly nauseous with a headache, a similar feeling to when I spend too much time playing VR.

If a dev can make excellent use of things like motion blur to hide the low framerates I can deal for a few hours at a time. But otherwise, yea, 30 fps on action or adventure games are simply a no go for me now.

Shut0wen

I'm playing The Last of Us Part 2 these days and my eyes are killing me! I'm trying to avoid camera movements at all costs.

I think that games i played all those years which run at 30 fps and below caused my myopia(especially, playing TES:Oblivion with 15-20 fps for more than 100 hours :messenger_tears_of_joy:). You don't believe it? Here is a literature review about screen time(use of digital devices) and myopia relation: link to scielo.br. They reviewed 9 studies with more than 100.000 participants in total. In conclusion, they can't say it's related for sure but they suspect it may has some effect on it. Maybe someone will do a study about 30 fps vs 60 fps games and their effects on eye problems in future. I think 30 fps does more damage than screen time or resolution.

I think devs should leave this old crap behind. I can handle some low resolution textures here and there. But i can't take this 30 fps bs anymore! It's not healthy at all.

PS: Great game so far btw.

Edit for necromancers: After a suggestion made on this thread 1 year ago, i learned that playing a ps4 game at 30 fps on a 75 hz monitor increases the awfulness of 30 fps. I continued to play The Last of Us 2 (which you can't play on a pc yet) on TV and it was a little more bearable. My thoughts on 30fps haven't really changed, but my frustration eased a bit.
Its funny because ive been stuck with base until the end of last year, recently booted up ME legendary edition (which i played last year on base xbox) and man 30 fps is awful, i dont ever remember it being this bad, i remember living with my flat mate and playing witcher 3 on 60fps and then playing it on my base xbox at 30 and had no problems

nkarafo

Its funny because ive been stuck with base until the end of last year, recently booted up ME legendary edition (which i played last year on base xbox) and man 30 fps is awful, i dont ever remember it being this bad, i remember living with my flat mate and playing witcher 3 on 60fps and then playing it on my base xbox at 30 and had no problems
How big was your panel back in the day, in your flat?

I have noticed that the bigger the screen is, the slower 30fps feels. I think that makes sense because the smaller the screen is, the less you focus on details because your eyes see more of the bigger, general picture. But on a very big screen, your eyes tend to focus on certain parts and details inside that picture. That could make 30fps worse since it's hard to make out details at 30fps when in motion.

Shut0wen

How big was your panel back in the day, in your flat?

I have noticed that the bigger the screen is, the slower 30fps feels. I think that makes sense because the smaller the screen is, the less you focus on details because your eyes see more of the bigger, general picture. But on a very big screen, your eyes tend to focus on certain parts and details inside that picture. That could make 30fps worse since it's hard to make out details at 30fps when in motion.
You might be right, atm playing on a 52 inch tv so i can notice it way more then i did before, not sure what size his screen was but it was just a normal monitor screen, same with new vegas never really noticed 60fps on his monitor but ive noticed it alot more on my 52 inch tv though

RPSleon

Games look better at 60fps. Even when the graphics are toned down, its still better looking because you can actually see stuff when you move the camera. 30fps isnt good when moving. (I guess forwards is okay).
Its jarring playing a game at 30 now. Ive been using 60fps options for everything.

Now, a great compromise was ratchet and clanks 40fps mode for 120hz screens.
Kept alot of good graphical option and did away with the worst of the blurriness. Made a big difference to enjoy all the tech like raytracing and higher res.

Hello,
You don't believe it? Here is a literature review about screen time(use of digital devices) and myopia relation: link to scielo.br. They reviewed 9 studies with more than 100.000 participants in total. In conclusion, they can't say it's related for sure but they suspect it may has some effect on it.
From what I've read, there's no mention of the frame rate. Could you quote the precise text that mentions it please?

Hunnybun

A blurry image is way more distracting than 30 vs 60fps.

I couldn’t play Killzone Shadowfall MP due the ridiculous blurry image at 60fps while the SP was great at 30fps.

Yes but I meant all things being equal, 60fps is itself a large upgrade in graphics which seems to get completely ignored. It might not necessarily be the biggest upgrade you can possibly get for that cost, but it is still an upgrade. That's the point.

Hunnybun

You would, if someone demonstrated it to you correctly. And let me tell you, there is a big difference, especially in modern panels that have ghosting which clears up as the frame rate increases. At 240fps, on a proper 240hz monitor, the motion is almost as crystal clear as on a CRT. 60fps looks blurry by comparison.

All I can tell you is I've repeatedly tried Doom Eternal at 120fps on my 65" OLED and I literally can't tell the difference.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Hello,

From what I've read, there's no mention of the frame rate. Could you quote the precise text that mentions it please?
That research was about screen time and myopia relation, as i mentioned in OP. I suggested a new research topic for nerd scientists, based on that research, because screen time with 30 fps probably worse than 60 fps. I wasn't that serious though, but here we are:)

darrylgorn

People will settle with 30 fps for 4K but they should be settling with 1080p for 60 fps.

You're afforded higher quality visuals at a better frame rate.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That research was about screen time and myopia relation, as i mentioned in OP. I suggested a new research topic for nerd scientists, based on that research, because screen time with 30 fps probably worse than 60 fps. I wasn't that serious though, but here we are:)
Screen time for 30fps or 60fps are the same.
The research was based more in how much time you take watching the screen and it doesn’t matter which framerate it was but if you use some logic 99% of the TV content are sub30fps like movies, series, TV programs, etc… so the reasearch was probably done with that framerate in most cases for the TV side… the other side are workers, students, etc with PC monitors or notebooks that are exposed to huge period of time (more than TV watchers) to their screen that have native 60fps or higher.

I don’t need to say the research believes most affected in the vision are the candidates that most was exposed to the screen for long period that are indeed the PC users for work, study, etc and not TV warchers… there is a clear difference between the average time between a worker and a typical TV watcher… so most affected are in the 60+fps side.

But again the framerate in this case makes no difference the time exposed to the screen is the bigger factor.

It is an interesting article for discussion but not conclusions yet… needs more… to me is not that interesting because even before I started to have a big screen time exposure I already astigmatism (from 4-5 years old) and after start to have big screen time exposure (+8 hours per day with gaming and after 21 years old +8 hours per day working plus gaming and watching TV) I did not have any other issue in vision like myopia or hypermetropia.

I did fix my astigmatism witty 25 years old with laser surgery and today I have a fine vision for over 14 years already.

So in my specific case the vision was never affected by screen time but I believe a lot of vision issues are… of course like the research I can’t prove anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe YOU can only see detail when the camera isn't moving. Most of the time I'm walking or running forward looking off into the distance where the scenery isn't moving much anyway. Then when you're shooting, you're looking down the sights and only making minor adjustments. I typically don't swing the camera around like a mad man when playing 3rd person games since you see a pretty wide slice of scenery.

As I said before though, 1st person games should be 60fps because you have to move the camera a lot more and often times move the camera fast. When you turn around in a 1st person game, you literally have to spin the camera all the way around, but in a 3rd person game, you can turn the character, but not the camera so it's much less panning.

That's the thing though, 60 and 30 are not equal. There are always cutbacks to make a game run at 60fps no matter how powerful the hardware is.

It's simple math really. You can squeeze more processing into a 33.33ms frame than a 16.66ms frame.

So yeah, it's not as objective as you may think. Maybe YOU think 60fps is ALWAYS better, but not me. I go for the higher quality details because that's what I enjoy.
fair enough! and yes, i do realize it takes more processing to do 60fps which can take away from other processing intensive elements. guess we'll always be in a 30 and 60 world!

Xdrive05

Whether 30fps is "enough" comes down to camera speed and control responsiveness, and general pace of gameplay, too. A slower paced game where you take in the visuals, and pan the camera slowly, can totally work in 30.

That said, 60 always plays better than 30. Has to do with feel and responsiveness of the actual interfacing with the gameplay. 60 is as high as you need to go with a controller, usually, for best experience.

Similarly, you want 100fps+ with mouse & keyboard. Camera control by mouse basically needs triple digits to feel smooth. Quake at 240fps is an entirely different experience than the same at 60fps.

In summary, current gen consoles with their quality CPUs should always offer a 60fps option. Even Series S. Sub-HD? So be it. 60 plays better and should be an option.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Or watch them with 60 fps frame interpolation.

This post gave me cancer.

Again, the amount of bs people make up is crazy here. Of course 60 is better than 30 in games. That’s not even a question.
But 30 is absolutely fine. You would get used to it. It can take a hour or a day but you would totally forget about playing at 30.

I am replaying 2nd son now and it got 30 and 60 switch. I could swear the 30 fps in this game was some off the smoothest, nice 30fps… but it feels terrible now. I can’t do it.
So I played for 30 minutes and I almost forgot. But quite yet but next day I would be fine. Lol the shock of coming beck to 60. So good.

Funny thing is 60 felt like that when I owned 240hz monitor… when I changed to 4k60 it was not great. Played at 30 some and after a while 60 felt smooth as butter again.

It’s all in the brain and motion blur. That’s why movies are smooth. Because each frame captures a moment of time. Not a freezed scene

8BiTw0LF

Banned
30fps
go away seriously GIF by erpetem

People who play 30fps games play them at sensitivity:3 (out of 10) - the speed a camera would move in a movie.

darrylgorn

This post gave me cancer.

Again, the amount of bs people make up is crazy here. Of course 60 is better than 30 in games. That’s not even a question.
But 30 is absolutely fine. You would get used to it. It can take a hour or a day but you would totally forget about playing at 30.

I am replaying 2nd son now and it got 30 and 60 switch. I could swear the 30 fps in this game was some off the smoothest, nice 30fps… but it feels terrible now. I can’t do it.
So I played for 30 minutes and I almost forgot. But quite yet but next day I would be fine. Lol the shock of coming beck to 60. So good.

Funny thing is 60 felt like that when I owned 240hz monitor… when I changed to 4k60 it was not great. Played at 30 some and after a while 60 felt smooth as butter again.

It’s all in the brain and motion blur. That’s why movies are smooth. Because each frame captures a moment of time. Not a freezed scene

I would never hope someone's personal preference would give anyone cancer.

That said, 30 fps is not 'just fine' for someone like me and I watch all of my media at 60 fps.

Regardless, there's no need for conflict here as pretty much everyone's framerate preference can be accommodated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom