• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 years ago, WrestleMania III defined the Granddaddy of Them All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kornflayx

One of the first shows I wanted to see as a kid. Still one of my favorite shows because I'm a mark for big spectacles. That's why I'll always watch Mania regardless of how shitty the card looks. The spectacle will be glorious

walkup.gif

andreslam.gif

bodyslamtoandre.gif

You know what helps give these moments that special vibe.
Camera flashes.
Say what you want, but those camera flashes are an instant indication for me that there is a magical excitement in the air. Now you only have a bunch of floating mobile phones in the air.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's hard to find analysis on any subject as funny and as informative as OSW reviews. It's easy to give ratings to matches, but explaining the build up and the backstage stuff that influenced results is pretty rare to find.

Yep. OSW are amazing. I openly encourage people to patron them.

Toki767

DerZuhälter;233030726 said:
Camera flashes.
Say what you want, but those camera flashes are an instant indication for me that there is a magical excitement in the air. Now you only have a bunch of floating mobile phones in the air.

Funny enough, there are way more camera flashes at Andre slamming Hogan than Hogan slamming Andre lol

Auraela

Banned
Kinder funny how u guys are moaning about current mania card etc saying there's only one stand out match then in this thread in op clearly state one match defined this mania etc.

Toki767

Kinder funny how u guys are moaning about current mania card etc saying there's only one stand out match then in this thread in op clearly state one match defined this mania etc.

Hogan vs Andre was literally the biggest match they could have done at WrestleMania 3.

The biggest match they could have done this year was not Goldberg/Lesnar, Roman Reigns/Undertaker, or AJ Styles/Shane McMahon.

And the biggest match they could have done at the biggest WrestleMania in history last year certainly wasn't HHH/Roman Reigns.

I rented WM III in its double VHS glory multiple times as a kid and yeah most of it is utterly forgettable outside Hogan/Andre and Savage/Steamboat when it comes to the quality of the matches but you know what? Many of those matches had more effort in their booking and better build up with a fraction of the TV time than most of the matches we're going to see at eight hours of The Ultimate Thrill Ride WrestleMania Orange Juice.

DerZuhälter;233030726 said:
Camera flashes.
I miss WWE dimming the lights on the crowd, now they want the crowd fully lit so they can do random camera cuts to mostly bored people. I guess to try and show all the people or whatever too but bleh.

But it was defining, it was a passing of the torch for Hogan/Andre and I don't think many cared, they bought in but most of the lower card matches at least had more going for them angle wise than most of the matches we're gonna see this Sunday at The Ultimate Thrill Ride, WrestleMania only on the WWE Network.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hogan vs Andre was literally the biggest match they could have done at WrestleMania 3.

The biggest match they could have done this year was not Goldberg/Lesnar, Roman Reigns/Undertaker, or AJ Styles/Shane McMahon.

And the biggest match they could have done at the biggest WrestleMania in history last year certainly wasn't HHH/Roman Reigns.

Name me a bigger match than Lesnar vs Goldberg then.

And I mean a legit bigger match, not a "I like these guys more" match. Anything going on after Lesnar and Goldberg would get Jericho vs HHH levels of apathy.

TwiztidElf

For all the Andre/Hogan and Steamboat/Savage talk that I absolutely agree with, one match that never gets the props is the Bulldogs/Santana V Hart Foundation/Davis.

It had great build up and I felt like Davey Boy Smith really worked his arse off too.

FDC1

For all the Andre/Hogan and Steamboat/Savage talk that I absolutely agree with, one match that never gets the props is the Bulldogs/Santana V Hart Foundation/Davis.

It had great build up and I felt like Davey Boy Smith really worked his arse off too.

He had because Dynamite Kid was badly injured and couldn't do much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom