• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3060 Ti - What Monitor (144hz / Ultrawide vs Standard)?

playXray

I have a PC with the following spec:

Intel Core i5-10400F
16GB DDR4 / 3200Mhz RAM
MSI 3060 Ti Gaming Z Trio

I would like to upgrade my monitor, as currently I just have a standard 1080p / 60Hz screen. I really like ultrawide monitors (21:9) but they are more than twice the price of the 16:9 gaming monitors I am looking at. I also want to use at least 120Hz, or ideally 144Hz. Would my setup allow me to get 144Hz on an ultrawide monitor with an aspect ratio of 2560 x 1080? I'm not too bothered about higher vertical resolutions to be honest, I would rather stick with 1080 pixels and squeeze a few more FPS out of it.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else got a setup like this?

Banned
ultra wide is nice when it works, but even now many new games don't support them, meaning you will have black bars on the side in many titles.

I still think 16:9 is the best way to go. 1080p at 144hz should be a perfect fit for the 3060ti... I personally use the same card on a 1440p/165hz screen.

if you are ok with having games that will give you black bars, or that have badly optimised HUD elements for ultra wide then go for it. but if you want 100% seamless compatibility with no black bars then stay with 16:9

high refresh + gsync support is a must on a modern PC tho IMO

Last edited:

playXray

ultra wide is nice when it works, but even now many new games don't support them, meaning you will have black bars on the side in many titles.

I still think 16:9 is the best way to go. 1080p at 144hz should be a perfect fit for the 3060ti... I personally use the same card on a 1440p/165hz screen.

if you are ok with having games that will give you black bars, or that have badly optimised HUD elements for ultra wide then go for it. but if you want 100% seamless compatibility with no black bars then stay with 16:9

Thanks. I don’t mind the black bars to be honest, I’m happy with the fact that some games don’t support ultra wide. My main concern is how much frame rate I’d be sacrificing to get that extra pixel width.

How do 144hz monitors cope with frame rates between 60 and 144Hz?

Banned
Thanks. I don’t mind the black bars to be honest, I’m happy with the fact that some games don’t support ultra wide. My main concern is how much frame rate I’d be sacrificing to get that extra pixel width.

How do 144hz monitors cope with frame rates between 60 and 144Hz?

a good Gsync monitor will smooth things out pretty nicely.
the framerate shouldn't vary too much tho of course, because even gsync can't hide drops from 144 down to 60fps and back up again.

if you stay between 144 and 100 it usually looks very smooth. but the good thing about a gsync monitor is that you can target any framerate you want basically.

I play Halo Infinite at 72fps for example. (it's a very heavy game on PC and I want to keep the dynamic res as high as possible)
but I also played games at 90fps in the past, or 100... sometimes 120,
all looks smooth thanks to that Gsync syncing the refresh to my chosen framerate target.

playXray

a good Gsync monitor will smooth things out pretty nicely.
the framerate shouldn't vary too much tho of course, because even gsync can't hide drops from 144 down to 60fps and back up again.

if you stay between 144 and 100 it usually looks very smooth. but the good thing about a gsync monitor is that you can target any framerate you want basically.

I play Halo Infinite at 72fps for example. (it's a very heavy game on PC and I want to keep the dynamic res as high as possible)
but I also played games at 90fps in the past, or 100... sometimes 120,
all looks smooth thanks to that Gsync syncing the refresh to my chosen framerate target.
That sounds amazing. How do you set these rates? Do you have per-game settings in the NVIDIA control panel that control this?

Kenpachii

I switched from 1080p after years to ultrawide 3-4 months ago with a 3080.

The things u need to know about ultrawide is

- Extra width is godly, the moment u get used towards it u can't go back to 16:9 anymore it feels cramped as hell. Its great because it hides most the ui mostly in the corners with games which gives you far more space in the middle. It's like a no UI middle area with ui's in teh corner most of the time, about that feeling. It also gives you a advantage in RTS and builder games for the simple reason more on the screen.
- Not all games support ultrawide they kept telling me this, yet i have to encounter one game that doesn't support ultrawide and that's after loads of games + 1,8k gameplay hours, ( but i don't play japanese games, i heard those could have issue's with it or u need to run some extra steps to get it to work ). So if you are into those games u could need to tinker around a bit, but u can also just play at 16:9 at that point its still a full screen.
- Most cutscenes in games are still 16:9 then when gameplay goes back it returns back to 21:9, u can hex edit them and people tell you how if it bothers you, i honestly couldn't care as its still a full 16:9 picture on a 1440p ultrawide.
- Online shooters prevent ultrawide from being used for extra space on the sides, so in general it warps a bit on the ends. not really annoying in my view but could be if you don't like this. U can always force 16:9 anyway if you like it. The reason they do it = unfair advantage. BF for example doesn't do it, but counterstrike does.
- 2560x1080 aka 1080p ultrawide skip at all cost, don't do it. The height is terrible and the screens in general are shit all together, so 3440x1440p is what u should aim for and 34 inch.
- aim for 3440x1440 and 34 inch which is basically 27inch 1440p 16:9 but with extra space on the sides.
- There are 38 inch 3840x1600 ultrawides, but they are expensive, and real close to 4k as its 6,2m pixels. It's a ton of gpu power u will need then also. so all with all expensive option and 4k tv's could be more interesting with aspect ratio gpu scaling at that point.
- Ultrawide Ultrawide screens exist tha thave something like 5k resolution + 1440p. I personally not a fan of them, tried one out but its to wide and support for them is probably also questionable ( not sure about that part tho ).
- Curved is great, a small curve tho not aggressive like the 34gn850 has ( mine monitor ), it makes the sides not warp away from you but really feels like a normal flat screen when u sit infront of it. To aggressive curve as there are more aggressive i would avoid
- A good ultrawide screen is expensive as shit, so u gotta dig deep for it, lots of people go for oled c1 for example and just push the 21:9 aspect ratio as result. i myself want more hz then 120 and don't want to deal with the size + tv solution that comes with it, also scared for burn-in as my screen is always on, on static images. So yea its just what u like at that point.
- Get gsync on it, u have 2 forms of gsync. 1= gsync = actually module they are expensive and rare with ultra wides, most common one these days is gsync compatible, which is basically freesync 2.0 but screens are tested by nvidia to support there solution well. Why gsync? u never have to worry about tearing ever again. It's a thing of the past and even if fps drops your game is still perfectly smooth which makes lower framerates far more tolerable. Gsync + gsync compatible can be enabled in the nvidia control panel and apply to every game from that point on, there is no software from games required to make it work it always works.

- 3440x1440 = 5m pixels, 1080p = 2,1m pixels, 1440p = 3,7m pixels. 1080p ultrawide = 2,8m pixels, so increase in performance needed just to boot up the pixels is something u need to realize, it takes a performance hit.

Luckily with games that support DLSS, the high resolution becomes a lot more easier to push.

Example Control: with 3440x1440p ultrawide screen

2bf22f4a236a0974eb904ec96140a769.png

Quality DLSS : 2293x960 = 2.2m pixels which falls more into the 1080p spectrum of pixels that get rendered
Balanced DLSS : 1995x835 = 1,7m pixels which still looks good, others get blurry.

In short with DLSS even a 3060ti will have no issue's booting the resolution, u can also always just drop the resolution to 2560x1080 in games that don't support DLSS if performance is needed, or u gotta drop simple settings.
However the moment u boot a resolution like that, u want to have dlss in every single game and start to really avoid games that don't use it for the simple fact performance, and some bad optimized games without DLSS such as ac odyssey could require lowering settings.

16:9 1080p/1440p/4k

Depends on what u are looking for.

I would say the minimums a screen need to have is

- gsync or gsync compatible
- 144hz, preferable 240hz, but 160-180hz is a good middle mote, if 4k 120hz is also acceptable or high resolution ultrawide. Avoid any screen that doesn't have high hz.
- Good MS and latency, so games feel smooth
- make sure ghosting and inverse ghosting is non existent on the screen or low, for the simple solution it will drive u nuts if you see it.
- resolution wise, max inch = 24 inch for 1080p, 27 inch for 1440p, and 4k starts from 32 inch in mine view. Don't get a 32 inch 1080p screen its ugly as hell.
- pixel density or ppi of 90+ the higher the better.
- AMD's version of Gsync = freesync, so if you want to keep the technology going, make sure it also supports freesync so u can swap gpu's later on if nvidia shits the brick in future videocards, u can easily upgrade to AMD this way. If you only have a gsync screen, or a freesync screen, u will always be bound by that manufacturer or u lose the feature.

What resolution to pick, depends on what u wanna target.
- U want maximum framerate and u don't really care about anything else, probably 1080p focus.
- U want maximum settings in all games "ultra preset" + as high framerate as possible probably also 1080p
- U want high quality visuals but don't mind 60 fps gaming or sacrificing some settings, 1440p
- 4k i would avoid to be honest, simple to much performance it eats unless u want to move to oled c1 from sony tv screen solution.

Screen tech.

There is tons of screen tech.

-Oled
-TN
-IPS
-VA

TN:

Fastest and lowest responsetimes, worst viewing angles and worst color, but also cheapest

IPS:

Slower resonse times then TN, faster response times then VA, expensive, best view angle, best colors, expensive, however nana ips seem to be close to tn responsetimes these days so many pc gamers are moving over towards IPS as result.

VA:

Bad responsetimes in general unless u go expensive then they can be as good as tn, better view angles then tn and worse then ips, good color, best contrast and best image depth

Oled:

Features all the good parts of all tech, but has no small screens sizes more fit for PC solutions. also expensive and some people report burnins with the screen which happens on a lot of static images being shown for long periods of time by a lot of usage also. Which makes it kinda not really that useful for PC usage in general. But other people have no issue's with it so there's that.;

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Standard 1440p 27 inch monitor is the perfect size in regards to most things, pixel density and whatnot although most would say the higher the better, depending on how far you sit, you will never notice any difference at some point. I recommend checking rtings. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/inputs/resolution-size You also need to consider checking some benchmarks with that gpu at that resolution to see if you are ok with it. obviously 1080p will have no issues with that gpu.

Don't bother with wide unless you really want to. Its niche and does not have full support from devs despite ppl saying "but I played x hours of games with no problems!". What others play and what you play may entirely be different and the indie market as well as japanese one and even some big titles from the western market are not that well versed in wide resolutions. Also its far more annoying to see cinematics/cutscenes go back and forth between aspect rations than ppl say it is. Also very important regarding wide, if you plan on playing multiplayer games more often than usual do not get a wide, ever. Theres a reason why pro gamers still use 1080p standard monitors. I dont think I need to tell you why.

That being said, you need to consider A LOT more things on a monitor than just the size or aspect ratio. What panel are you getting? IPS? VA? TN? ALl have pros and cons.

Last edited:
I have that same card and a 27" 1440p 170hz monitor. The games I want high refresh I'm fine with being ugly. Few suggestions though. Freesync support is much cheaper and works basically the same as gsync. Most importantly look up reviews from hardware unboxed and rtings. There is a lot about monitors that specs alone won't tell you.
I ended up with a m27q which at the time was the best rated for the price and I'm very happy I did my research before hand.

playXray

I switched from 1080p after years to ultrawide 3-4 months ago with a 3080.

The things u need to know about ultrawide is

- Extra width is godly, the moment u get used towards it u can't go back to 16:9 anymore it feels cramped as hell. Its great because it hides most the ui mostly in the corners with games which gives you far more space in the middle. It's like a no UI middle area with ui's in teh corner most of the time, about that feeling. It also gives you a advantage in RTS and builder games for the simple reason more on the screen.
- Not all games support ultrawide they kept telling me this, yet i have to encounter one game that doesn't support ultrawide and that's after loads of games + 1,8k gameplay hours, ( but i don't play japanese games, i heard those could have issue's with it or u need to run some extra steps to get it to work ). So if you are into those games u could need to tinker around a bit, but u can also just play at 16:9 at that point its still a full screen.
- Most cutscenes in games are still 16:9 then when gameplay goes back it returns back to 21:9, u can hex edit them and people tell you how if it bothers you, i honestly couldn't care as its still a full 16:9 picture on a 1440p ultrawide.
- Online shooters prevent ultrawide from being used for extra space on the sides, so in general it warps a bit on the ends. not really annoying in my view but could be if you don't like this. U can always force 16:9 anyway if you like it. The reason they do it = unfair advantage. BF for example doesn't do it, but counterstrike does.
- 2560x1080 aka 1080p ultrawide skip at all cost, don't do it. The height is terrible and the screens in general are shit all together, so 3440x1440p is what u should aim for and 34 inch.
- aim for 3440x1440 and 34 inch which is basically 27inch 1440p 16:9 but with extra space on the sides.
- There are 38 inch 3840x1600 ultrawides, but they are expensive, and real close to 4k as its 6,2m pixels. It's a ton of gpu power u will need then also. so all with all expensive option and 4k tv's could be more interesting with aspect ratio gpu scaling at that point.
- Ultrawide Ultrawide screens exist tha thave something like 5k resolution + 1440p. I personally not a fan of them, tried one out but its to wide and support for them is probably also questionable ( not sure about that part tho ).
- Curved is great, a small curve tho not aggressive like the 34gn850 has ( mine monitor ), it makes the sides not warp away from you but really feels like a normal flat screen when u sit infront of it. To aggressive curve as there are more aggressive i would avoid
- A good ultrawide screen is expensive as shit, so u gotta dig deep for it, lots of people go for oled c1 for example and just push the 21:9 aspect ratio as result. i myself want more hz then 120 and don't want to deal with the size + tv solution that comes with it, also scared for burn-in as my screen is always on, on static images. So yea its just what u like at that point.
- Get gsync on it, u have 2 forms of gsync. 1= gsync = actually module they are expensive and rare with ultra wides, most common one these days is gsync compatible, which is basically freesync 2.0 but screens are tested by nvidia to support there solution well. Why gsync? u never have to worry about tearing ever again. It's a thing of the past and even if fps drops your game is still perfectly smooth which makes lower framerates far more tolerable. Gsync + gsync compatible can be enabled in the nvidia control panel and apply to every game from that point on, there is no software from games required to make it work it always works.

- 3440x1440 = 5m pixels, 1080p = 2,1m pixels, 1440p = 3,7m pixels. 1080p ultrawide = 2,8m pixels, so increase in performance needed just to boot up the pixels is something u need to realize, it takes a performance hit.

Luckily with games that support DLSS, the high resolution becomes a lot more easier to push.

Example Control: with 3440x1440p ultrawide screen

2bf22f4a236a0974eb904ec96140a769.png

Quality DLSS : 2293x960 = 2.2m pixels which falls more into the 1080p spectrum of pixels that get rendered
Balanced DLSS : 1995x835 = 1,7m pixels which still looks good, others get blurry.

In short with DLSS even a 3060ti will have no issue's booting the resolution, u can also always just drop the resolution to 2560x1080 in games that don't support DLSS if performance is needed, or u gotta drop simple settings.
However the moment u boot a resolution like that, u want to have dlss in every single game and start to really avoid games that don't use it for the simple fact performance, and some bad optimized games without DLSS such as ac odyssey could require lowering settings.

16:9 1080p/1440p/4k

Depends on what u are looking for.

I would say the minimums a screen need to have is

- gsync or gsync compatible
- 144hz, preferable 240hz, but 160-180hz is a good middle mote, if 4k 120hz is also acceptable or high resolution ultrawide. Avoid any screen that doesn't have high hz.
- Good MS and latency, so games feel smooth
- make sure ghosting and inverse ghosting is non existent on the screen or low, for the simple solution it will drive u nuts if you see it.
- resolution wise, max inch = 24 inch for 1080p, 27 inch for 1440p, and 4k starts from 32 inch in mine view. Don't get a 32 inch 1080p screen its ugly as hell.
- pixel density or ppi of 90+ the higher the better.
- AMD's version of Gsync = freesync, so if you want to keep the technology going, make sure it also supports freesync so u can swap gpu's later on if nvidia shits the brick in future videocards, u can easily upgrade to AMD this way. If you only have a gsync screen, or a freesync screen, u will always be bound by that manufacturer or u lose the feature.

What resolution to pick, depends on what u wanna target.
- U want maximum framerate and u don't really care about anything else, probably 1080p focus.
- U want maximum settings in all games "ultra preset" + as high framerate as possible probably also 1080p
- U want high quality visuals but don't mind 60 fps gaming or sacrificing some settings, 1440p
- 4k i would avoid to be honest, simple to much performance it eats unless u want to move to oled c1 from sony tv screen solution.

Screen tech.

There is tons of screen tech.

-Oled
-TN
-IPS
-VA

TN:

Fastest and lowest responsetimes, worst viewing angles and worst color, but also cheapest

IPS:

Slower resonse times then TN, faster response times then VA, expensive, best view angle, best colors, expensive, however nana ips seem to be close to tn responsetimes these days so many pc gamers are moving over towards IPS as result.

VA:

Bad responsetimes in general unless u go expensive then they can be as good as tn, better view angles then tn and worse then ips, good color, best contrast and best image depth

Oled:

Features all the good parts of all tech, but has no small screens sizes more fit for PC solutions. also expensive and some people report burnins with the screen which happens on a lot of static images being shown for long periods of time by a lot of usage also. Which makes it kinda not really that useful for PC usage in general. But other people have no issue's with it so there's that.;
This is a great reply, thank you. I think you have confirmed this for me - for now, I will get a 24” 1080p 144hz IPS monitor, and that should see me through for a while. At some stage in the future when I have a bigger budget I will look at getting a high spec ultra wide.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This is a great reply, thank you. I think you have confirmed this for me - for now, I will get a 24” 1080p 144hz IPS monitor, and that should see me through for a while. At some stage in the future when I have a bigger budget I will look at getting a high spec ultra wide.

Good luck on your purchase and watch out for backlight bleeds. There are almost no IPS monitors without it, you just have to get one with very little of it. What model are you getting?

Last edited:
There are quite a few good ones at around 150$ for that spec. 300$ for 27" 1440p and much more expensive for a great ultra wide

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Don't just buy an ultrawide without either A. knowing you can return it for a full refund if you don't like it or B. trying it first somewhere/somehow.

It's not for everyone, I really didn't enjoy it when I tried it and went back to 16:9 with a higher frame rate pretty quickly. Personally I say go 27" 1440p/144hz or 32" if you have a desk deep enough that it's a little further from your eyes than usual.

playXray

Good luck on your purchase and watch out for backlight bleeds. There are almost no IPS monitors without it, you just have to get one with very little of it. What model are you getting?
I’m looking at the MSI G241, which seems a reasonable price for the spec - I don’t want to spend too much if I’m potentially going to upgrade to an ultra wide in the next couple of years anyway.

Does that monitor seem OK to you?

playXray

Don't just buy an ultrawide without either A. knowing you can return it for a full refund if you don't like it or B. trying it first somewhere/somehow.

It's not for everyone, I really didn't enjoy it when I tried it and went back to 16:9 with a higher frame rate pretty quickly. Personally I say go 27" 1440p/144hz or 32" if you have a desk deep enough that it's a little further from your eyes than usual.
I haven’t tried an ultra wide but I pushed two identical 16:9 monitors together and played Minecraft spread across both screens - it was insane!

Buggy Loop

Can’t go back to normal since ultrawide. 90% of games I buy had native support, majority of the rest had quick fan patches.
The biggest outliers are 2D indie games. Japanese devs also seem to have a hard time following, I’m not even sure Elden Ring will support it as Sekiro did not (but there’s a patch).

But when a game supports it.. it’s way more immersive. All the cramped FOV games that then look a bit off/fisheyed when you increase the FOV? Naturally ultrawide gives you more horizontal assets.

Kenpachi pretty much covered everything already and I’m feeling lazy, but I will finish with : 3440x1440p, 120/144Hz, Gsync/freesync.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I’m looking at the MSI G241, which seems a reasonable price for the spec - I don’t want to spend too much if I’m potentially going to upgrade to an ultra wide in the next couple of years anyway.

Does that monitor seem OK to you?

No idea about MSI, they're a bit new'ish on the monitor hardware. I'd honestly go with an ASUS or ACER but its your choice. Heres a budget list: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-price/budget

If you set your eyes on that MSI sure go for it, just make sure you dont go with your gut, go with actual tests. RTings are very detailed in their tests. I recommend checking them out before pressing that final buy button. :)

Also make sure after you buy to do a backlight bleed test. All info is here: https://www.lightbleedtest.com/ If its too bad you may have to return it and make sure you dont confuse it with IPS glow ( which all IPS monitors have and you simply cannot have one without).

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned

I've had ultra wide monitors for close to 10 yrs now? I can think of 2 games that did not support and there is always a fix, especially with all modern titles. the engines that are used are hacked and if its not native it will still be supported. Once you go UW, you will never, ever go back.

Last edited:
I haven’t tried an ultra wide but I pushed two identical 16:9 monitors together and played Minecraft spread across both screens - it was insane!
What kinda games you mostly play? I know for me i mainly play fast paced shooters and ultra wide has too much screen to keep track of. That might only be a problem for me and my old slow brain though.

I love my Ultrawide with my 3060 and it works like a champ with just about everything I run with it. Don't let the haters tell you otherwise.

Kenpachii

As other people have stated go to rtings.com they do heavy testing on screens as most of the numbers companys give you are just bullshit numbers like 1ms. They actually test the screens and see if its good.

Anyway a bit more on ultrawide for people that are interested into it and read this thread.

This is what i mean with ultrawide getting rid of ui's and add extra screen area into games of what i was talking about in the earlier post:

cena-vykon-cz-ultra-wide-league-of-legends.jpg

As u can see the minimap and the top area is covered in the extra bonus space of ultrawide, all of that is gone now out of your main screen area which free's it up a lot more + extra area also showcases game that another 16:9 doesn't see. It makes things a lot more immersive because ui's are gone.

Here's is another example of horizon zero dawn

209d30281bc1faa0c505d2f1e3014d4e.jpg

The black number thing on the left is basically the extra space u get, so if you paste that on the other side also then u can see how large parts of the UI + quest log is completely gone out of your view area which makes the game a lot more immersive. The extra space is basically in a lot of games getting rid of ui thats normally in the way.

Here's halo same deal there.

2676660a03ff82374778a35a2f17fe1d.jpg

Minimap and radar on the left are basically all out of your main screen are you look at, while the data is still easily available when u want to look at it.

Another good example age of empire 4, where minimap + most of the left stuff is complete gone otu of your main screen + have tons of extra space to look at which u don't have with a 16:9 solution.

dc0b79abcdaf6e183521d0805aa48003.jpg

And about feeling cramped part i talked about.

This is how 16:9 feels after u play on 21:9 for a while

Just stare at the top picture for like 30 seconds like u would be playing the game, then scroll down and see the 16:9 one. U feel like looking through a doorway that's half open.

37073671.jpg

Honestly once u got ultrawide and have a good ultrawide screen 16:9 will feel dated hard.

The main issue however with ultrawide at this point is the price, a good ultrawide screen is basically double the price of the same tech and quality 16:9 screen.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I have the same card and I had ultra wide but when went back to regular 2k monitor

ultra wide isn’t really the best way to go for competitive online shooting . Your eyes have to travel to a bigger distance ( assuming you are talking 34 inch vs 27 as what I had )

you also for 90% of the games don’t get extra viewing for more advantage, you just end up with stretched image or black bars . Both look funny

let alone you the fact you get more performance in the regular monitor over the ultra wide due the fact it has renders less pixels.

lastly, you don’t get extra clarity on ultra wide if you thought because of the higher resolution. 34 ultra wide vs 27 2k has the exact same pixel density.

so no stick with 16:9

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
As u can see the minimap and the top area is covered in the extra bonus space of ultrawide, all of that is gone now out of your main screen area which free's it up a lot more + extra area also showcases game that another 16:9 doesn't see. It makes things a lot more immersive because ui's are gone.

What a horrible example with that LoL screenshot. It's exactly the kind of thing the marketing and whatever PR are showing on the UW monitors info. In LoL or any other multiplayer game having all the info in front rather than stretched out of your field of vision, is absolutely necessary. There is not one single pro player that will use an UW over a standard one. Your eyes should never, ever have to move right or left in any online competitive game. UW is fine for immersive casual gaming, but HUGE NO to online gaming.

Kenpachii

What a horrible example with that LoL screenshot. It's exactly the kind of thing the marketing and whatever PR are showing on the UW monitors info. In LoL or any other multiplayer game having all the info in front rather than stretched out of your field of vision, is absolutely necessary. There is not one single pro player that will use an UW over a standard one. Your eyes should never, ever have to move right or left in any online competitive game. UW is fine for immersive casual gaming, but HUGE NO to online gaming.

Its to demonstrate the extra space it adds over a normal screen and how it basically free's the middle from ui noise up more for better immersion, i found that image as it showcases it perfectly in a simple way.

if you want to argue about online gaming and what is good and what is not good, then u can argue about everything. Even 16:9 screens are dog shit, u better of going 4:3 ui's closer together with that logic, are you running your 16:9 in 4:3 when u play league? no u don't because nobody cares.

With online shooters, lots of online shooters and multiplayer games that make use of the extra space such as heroes of the storm, age of empire, battlefield. so again multiplayer games i play at 21:9 and don't ever wanna go back to 16:9.

Now if you do play high competitive counterstrike or other shooters that don't use 21:9 for anything worthwhile u can just simple play with borders and have a full blown 27 inch 1440p screen anyway. So again not much of a issue besides u spend a fuck ton of money extra on a screen, if you just end up playing those games sololy, then yea don't go for ultrawide.

But i assume people play all kinds of games so ultrawide absolute blows everything else out of the water. 21:9 is basically the future and practically every new game supports it native without effort.

Like i said, i play a ton of games and i have yet to encounter a single game where 21:9 doesn't work with. People can discredit this all day long with there 6 year old outdated experience on the matter as market has progressed massively on ultrawide support to the point its basically not a issue anymore.

But i understand some people are negative about 21:9 tho, its after all expensive on gpu demand and price for the screen itself, much like oled is expensive over a 4k cheap 500 buck screen. But at the end of the day its a straight up upgrade over 16:9 and that's why the market for ultra wide is about as big ( a tiny bit less ) as 4k and most likely will overtake it sooner rather then later.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Its to demonstrate the extra space it adds over a normal screen and how it basically free's the middle from ui noise up more for better immersion, i found that image as it showcases it perfectly in a simple way.

if you want to argue about online gaming and what is good and what is not good, then u can argue about everything. Even 16:9 screens are dog shit, u better of going 4:3 ui's closer together with that logic, are you running your 16:9 in 4:3 when u play league? no u don't because nobody cares.

With online shooters, lots of online shooters and multiplayer games that make use of the extra space such as heroes of the storm, age of empire, battlefield. so again multiplayer games i play at 21:9 and don't ever wanna go back to 16:9.

Now if you do play high competitive counterstrike or other shooters that don't use 21:9 for anything worthwhile u can just simple play with borders and have a full blown 27 inch 1440p screen anyway. So again not much of a issue besides u spend a fuck ton of money extra on a screen, if you just end up playing those games sololy, then yea don't go for ultrawide.

But i assume people play all kinds of games so ultrawide absolute blows everything else out of the water. 21:9 is basically the future and practically every new game supports it native without effort.

Like i said, i play a ton of games and i have yet to encounter a single game where 21:9 doesn't work with. People can discredit this all day long with there 6 year old outdated experience on the matter as market has progressed massively on ultrawide support to the point its basically not a issue anymore.

But i understand some people are negative about 21:9 tho, its after all expensive on gpu demand and price for the screen itself, much like oled is expensive over a 4k cheap 500 buck screen. But at the end of the day its a straight up upgrade over 16:9 and that's why the market for ultra wide is about as big ( a tiny bit less ) as 4k and most likely will overtake it sooner rather then later.

Say what you want, it's common sense that standard > UW in any competitive match and as such any online game. Lemme know when you see pro esports players using UW because they're "better" lmfao. I would even argue standard is better for normal gaming as well, easier to just have multiple monitors instead of one huge ass UW in case you have to multi task and do other stuff. if you want immersive gaming just connect your PC to a TV and enjoy the best immersive experience.

Top Bottom