• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3080 reviews

pyrocro

EDIT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TLDR: the 3080 is about 20-something to 30-something % faster than the 2080ti based on the game.
Bottom line If you have a 1080Ti upgrade or wait to see what AMD has.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting with Digital foundry

Linus Tech Tips

Hardware Unboxed

Paul's Hardware

JayzTwoCents

From other members(if you object just dm me and I'll remove)

Here is average FPS in 1440p:

Oxa3SNj.png

and in 4K

ZySaoy2.png

nice summary here

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
The 3090 is going to be an absolute obscenity. As close as you can get to a future-proof piece of pc hardware I reckon.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If I wanted to upgrade from my 1080TI, I am not sure my 700 watt PSU is enough. This is disappointing considering they they are on a new smaller process node.

pyrocro

At these power levels, I don't think I want an OC version of these cards. I think I might just go for the FE. The cooler seems great.
this is covered in the review, it's compared to 2080 ti, 1080 ti
what I would have wanted more of is some AMD cards but they were already getting beaten it might just be "insult to injury/beating a dead horse" kind of thing.

Always a better review, GamerNexus. Tech Jesus knows.

I use to watch all of his videos but I have not checked him out in a while.
If you don't mind I'll place this in the original post also, and credit you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping I can get one tomorrow. Any ideas what time they'll start going up on places like Amazon/Newegg?

Rikkori

Like I said in the OT, performance is kinda meh owing to the limited OC potential. If you go to the computerbase review you can see comparisons with both OC and non-OC, and it see-saws between 15% (OC vs OC) and 25-30% (stock vs stock) vs the 2080 Ti. Moreover, in some cases the promises with regards to RT performance are also kinda disappointing, for example Control is still not 4K 60 with RT even with DLSS. And of course pure rasterised heavy hitters like RDR 2 are also not 4K 60 either. Turing was a complete joke for $/perf, there's no way around it, so in relation to that this new Ampere card looks good but frankly I thought it was going to do better. That it only has 10 GB vram also further cuts into its value proposition for the long term.
I'll see my retailer's prices tomorrow and decide if I buy or not, I am still buying for CP2077 mainly so there's less reason to wait but otherwise I think there's reason to hold unto hope for RDNA 2. 7nm TSMC wipes the floor with Samsung's "8"nm & RNDA already had parity with Turing besides DX12_2 features.
Idk, this isn't that great, but I also like the better mining performance which means it will pay for itself, so tally-ho.

Last edited:

FireFly

So, 18% better performance per watt over the 2080 Ti at 4K, and 32% faster in current games.

Not bad, but not quite as impressive as Nvidia's presentation indicated. Seems like Nvidia sacrificed a lot of power efficiency for high clocks, presumably to beat AMD.

Antitype

Rickyiez

I've got a Superflower Leadex 80+ Gold 650W . I reckon that will be enough pairing with 3700x which isnt really power hungry

saintjules

Hoping I can get one tomorrow. Any ideas what time they'll start going up on places like Amazon/Newegg?

I heard from Best Buy that they could open the flood gates as early as midnight CST. I'm going to stay up for a while tonight to see what happens.

afaik I only see Best Buy and Nvidia themselves selling the FE. Everywhere else, the AiB.

Eliciel

I've got a Superflower Leadex 80+ Gold 650W . I reckon that will be enough pairing with 3700x which isnt really power hungry

I got a Seasonic X-Series 660W from like 2011-2013?, 80+Gold and I want to pair a 3600 with a 3080 for the time being.
From what I have heard today it should be absolutely fine.

Last edited:

pyrocro

Thats's good to hear, I got Corsair RM750x, no overclocking on CPU.

I'm walking back on my statement about waiting for 3080ti, I'll try to buy 3080 tomorrow.
I would wait for the AMD cards(you might save $50~$100, Nvidia has been known to drop the price to compete) unless you don't have a good video card currently.
What CPU and GPU do you have?

Last edited:

Rickyiez

I got a 660w from Seasonic, 80+Gold and I want to pair a 3600 with a 3080 for the time being.
From what I have heard today it should be absolutely fine.

Yeah , I checked gaming with 2080Ti only draws like 367W for the whole system , there is still plenty of headroom if you replace it with the 3080 . I'm not sure what is the worry about .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I heard from Best Buy that they could open the flood gates as early as midnight CST. I'm going to stay up for a while tonight to see what happens.

afaik I only see Best Buy and Nvidia themselves selling the FE. Everywhere else, the AiB.

AiB available at launch this time or delayed?

Yes, provided it is a good quality PSU, and you don't OC your CPU like crazy.
Toms Hardware shows that even the i3-10100 is good for 4k gaming with the 3080. It draws about 50W less than a 10600k and I think 25W less than a Ryzen 3600.

If you're really cutting it for power, don't OC the CPU and undervolt that CPU.

Last edited:
So reviews/benchmarks for the most part seem to be pretty good!

Rasterization:
Avg of +25-30% uplift vs stock 2080ti at 4K

Ray Tracing:
Minor uplift with mixed rendering
Major uplift with only Path Tracing

Productivity:
Great performance boost in Blender and most productivity applications. Much higher than in gaming.

Cooling:
Great custom cooler on the FE cards, keeps temps in line and is relatively quiet for the power draw. Great job by Nvidia here. (will AIBs fare as well?)

Power Draw:
No getting around it, this card draws a huge amount of power but I think we all knew that already based on the 320W TDP. If power draw is a big deal to you then this might not be the card for you. If you only care about performance then you are good to go. Will most likely need a minimum 750W PSU.

Overclocking:
Doesn't appear to have much OC potential in gaming. Not sure what that means for AIB cards but I'm sure they will be able to squeeze out a little more performance. Keep an eye on power usage though.

Price:
Compared to Turing? Absolutely great at 699 dollars for 25-30% more performance than a 2080ti.

Does it live up to the hype?:
Well....no, but in fairness the hype was absolutely insane with funky TFLOP numbers and Nvidia claiming 2x performance of a 2080. Having said that it seems to be overall a great card and good buy, I think anyone getting this card will be really happy with the results.

Maybe not a great buy if you already have a 2080ti, you may want to wait for an eventual 3080ti or just splurge and go for the 3090. Memory is a little low for a 2020 flagship GPU but we all know that new higher memory models are just around the corner so if you are happy with 10GB VRAM then buy away but those not in a rush might want to wait for larger memory models.

If you are a 1080ti owner then the consensus seems to be that this is a great upgrade and will be well worth the money.

teezzy

Banned
That's a nice little leap over my current 2070 XC.

I'm still gonna hang tight and wait it out until there's things I want to play in 1440p but can't run decently. Should be at least a year or so, if not two or three.

if I were you I'd be watching them at 11:59, refresh these pages and hit add to cart and buy:

Im waiting for the 3090. But good luck homie, hope you snatch one. The scalpers/resellers/bots are going to be out in full blast

pyrocro

Yeah , I checked gaming with 2080Ti only draws like 367W for the whole system , there is still plenty of headroom if you replace it with the 3080 . I'm not sure what is the worry about .
The worry is the rail power delivery,
not an expert in this but the wider swings in power draw by the card might affect the voltage delivered if the voltage drops out of spec or under what the card requires to operate you will get errors crashes, restarts
basically the issues are wide and undefined.

but a good 80+ gold or better should ensure you don't get voltage drops.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
if I were you I'd be watching them at 11:59, refresh these pages and hit add to cart and buy:

Im waiting for the 3090. But good luck homie, hope you snatch one. The scalpers/resellers/bots are going to be out in full blast

Thanks! If I don't get one, I don't get one. I'm honestly still doing OK at 1440p on my GTX 1080, but definitely want to upgrade if I don't have to pay exorbitant prices.

pyrocro

I'm very firmly set againts AMD, even if their cards are very very good, I won't buy. Only Nvidia.

9700k and 2080s.
LOL I don't blame you, my previous system was Intel and Nvidia, because it was just better, my current system
3900 + 2080ti because AMD had the better CPU at the time with all the annoying 1st gen bugs patched out :).

My next video card will be AMD just because I have 2 Nvidia video cards which will be supported for a number of years and I can run my CUDA and transcoding workloads on them.
But cheers to you let us know how it performs granted you're able to get one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom