• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3080 reviews

Rickyiez

Imagine if they used an Intel system max oc'd and also oc'd the GPU, that 750w would be on the verge. Cutting a bit too close imo.

Nah , the 8700k OC'ed to 5Ghz with RTX3080 is only around 500W . Check out some of the videos posted around here before assuming .

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Nice.

h1wvrQl.png

Kny34pg.png

Hmm, I don't really agree with this chart. Yes if you paid those prices, that's the case... but they're pairing current software with outdated hardware but keeping the price the same. I see there are used GTX 1070 for $250, which would bring the price per performance down to $3.73/frame. Heck I can get a GTX 980 Ti for $180, which brings that to $2.90/frame. Puts things into better perspective, and yes it's not apples to apples, but if you have no issue with buying used the cost/frame is going to be better, especially if you buy previous gen and can "tolerate" lower frame rate.

Last edited:

smbu2000

Nonsense graphs. Performance goes up over time, prices do not.
Unless your in the Bitcoin/mining boom when prices skyrocketed!

But yeah, base on current prices and what you can get cards for at current prices, the Cost Per Frame would be much different.

GHG

Gold Member

Ok so those are about the power draw numbers that I'll be looking at with a 3900x. I should be ok because I have a 750w PSU but fuck me... That's a lot.

Also, Doom eternal at max settings 4k uses 9GB VRAM according to hardware unboxed.

These cards will age like milk but I think I'm firmly on the upgrade with every opportunity you get train as far as GPU's go.

GymWolf

No. Without.

With DLSS, you can get more than 80-100 fps without RTX.
So you think that you can get 4k60 rock solid with ultra-high details and full rtx with a 3080 without dlss? i hope you are right but for the meantime

tenor.gif

that game is gonna be the heaviest shit on pc by a long margin imo.

Last edited:
So you think that you can get 4k60 rock solid with ultra-high details and full rtx with a 3080 without dlss? i hope you are right but for the meantime

tenor.gif

that game is gonna be the heaviest shit on pc by a long margin imo.

Are we talking about a specific game? Because if not, most games with raytracing used in the benchmarks are well over 60pfs 4k in Ultra with RTX without DLSS

Last edited:

GymWolf

Are we talking about a specific game? Because if not, most games used in the benchmarks are well over 60pfs 4k in Ultra with RTX without DLSS
i'm talking about games in the first year of life of the gpu, first 2 years if you really wanna lose the bet badly.

cyberpunk, valhalla and all the other heavy\broken games, i don't care too much if i can play at 200frame8k in current gen games (that i already played).

maybe it's the pessimistic guy inside me who talk, i always hope of being wrong.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I said without RTX.
Nice try.
no you said without rtx while using dlss to get 80-100 fps, i thought that you included the rtx in your "4k60 without dlss" narrative.

and now that you said that, what's the point of not using rtx with your new shiny rtx gpu?

On my part i always included rtx when i said that these gpu are not enough.

i'm not trying to play gatcha with you, i'm happy if you are right, we are in the same boat, i'm just on the pessimistic side of it.

tbh the whole discussion is pretty pointless because if dlss looks like native, there is no reason to not use it, the problem is more what games are gonna have dlss at launch day?

Last edited:
I predict a polar icecap will break off and crash through New York on the first week of release of 3090. Everytime you select a higher AA rating a (wild) kitten dies.

Those benchmarks are not really that impressive considering the claims by niv

i Do hope we start seeing the 3090 benchmarks soon as that I think will be the true upgrade for many

Nonsense graphs. Performance goes up over time, prices do not.
It’s actually very useful if you had a brain.

They give us enough data to adjust price/performance on a case-by-case basis if we wish. I used it to calculate that the price/performance of the RTX 2070 I purchased last year is equivalent to $6.12 on that graph which is similar to the new RTX 3080. And you can adjust any used purchase you might be interested in as well.

It’s a great graph.

Last edited:

benno

i Do hope we start seeing the 3090 benchmarks soon as that I think will be the true upgrade for many

I'm feeling the same. I sold me 2080ti hoping that the 3080 would be a larger increase than average 10-25%.

I hope the 3090 comes out and it's actually a dual chip card like the old xx90 series cards.

Last edited:

CuNi

I think it sucks that AIB reviews go up tomorrow or even later. Now you either can try and get a FE where we know temp/noise or gamble with AIBs in hope of better values.
OR you wait for reviews and possibly miss out on the first batch. Shits fucked.

Rikkori

I think it sucks that AIB reviews go up tomorrow or even later. Now you either can try and get a FE where we know temp/noise or gamble with AIBs in hope of better values.
OR you wait for reviews and possibly miss out on the first batch. Shits fucked.
Or just get a card and don't open it, then if reviews fall flat you can send it back without losing money on it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

I'm feeling the same. I sold me 2080ti hoping that the 3080 would be a larger increase than average 10-25%.

I hope the 3090 comes out and it's actually a dual chip card like the old xx90 series cards.

The benchmark's are super impressive if you know what you are looking at. Nvidia should have kept their mouth shut and let the numbers speak for themselves, as the 3080 is one of the best performing GPU's in it's price point in the history of GPU's. It's a huge leap in power comparatively. It's not me just saying that, it's every single reviewer.

The fact that you sold your 2080ti puts the onus of that move completely on your shoulders if you had done even a moderate amount of research or looked into GPU histories at all you'd know that. Hell, selling it before it dropped in value and picking up a 3080 isn't a bad move either even if it's only a smaller upgrade. If you sold it properly you essentially payed for the new card by itself with money left over. The 2080ti doesn't become a bad card because a better card comes out. If I could find a sucker that was willing to dump a 2080ti for $300 or so I'd pick one up right away and just wait for a 3080ti or whatever's next.

Point is, if you don't think these numbers are impressive, you either don't know what how GPU's operate or you completely let others hype you up beyond any reasonable belief. Going forward we likely won't see jumps in performance like we are seeing now for quite a while. Anyone with a small amount of thought could see the 20xx series for what it was, it wasn't like the reviewers were hyped for the 20xx series either. The only reason someone would buy the 20xx series is if they have no other options as it's performance increase was fucking AWFUL compared to the 10xx series. If you think these 3080 numbers are bad, you are gonna have a stroke when you see that the 3090 isn't the jump I assume people like you would expect it to be.

Last edited:

Chiggs

The benchmark's are super impressive if you know what you are looking at. Nvidia should have kept their mouth shut and let the numbers speak for themselves, as the 3080 is one of the best performing GPU's in it's price point in the history of GPU's. It's a huge leap in power comparatively. It's not me just saying that, it's every single reviewer.

The fact that you sold your 2080ti puts the onus of that move completely on your shoulders if you had done even a moderate amount of research or looked into GPU histories at all you'd know that. Hell, selling it before it dropped in value and picking up a 3080 isn't a bad move either even if it's only a smaller upgrade. If you sold it properly you essentially payed for the new card by itself with money left over. The 2080ti doesn't become a bad card because a better card comes out. If I could find a sucker that was willing to dump a 2080ti for $300 or so I'd pick one up right away and just wait for a 3080ti or whatever's next.

Point is, if you don't think these numbers are impressive, you either don't know what how GPU's operate or you completely let others hype you up beyond any reasonable belief. Going forward we likely won't see jumps in performance like we are seeing now for quite a while. Anyone with a small amount of thought could see the 20xx series for what it was, it wasn't like the reviewers were hyped for the 20xx series either. The only reason someone would buy the 20xx series is if they have no other options as it's performance increase was fucking AWFUL compared to the 10xx series. If you think these 3080 numbers are bad, you are gonna have a stroke when you see that the 3090 isn't the jump I assume people like you would expect it to be.

You make some valid points, but you're going after B benno pretty tough, when in reality, the section I bolded in your post above really identifies the villain.

As a 2080ti owner, I am glad I didn't sell my card. 3080 series might as well been called "HEY, PASCAL OWNERS, TIME TO MOVE THE FUCK ON."

Last edited:
"Bottom line if you have a 1080 Ti upgrade"
Nah I'm good. Not paying money to have less VRAM going into a new console generation. I'll wait for the 3080 Ti with 16-20GB and more SMs. If that doesn't arrive oh well by that point 40 series will be right around the corner.

Top Bottom