• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3080ti previews coming out

//DEVIL//

Honestly all the Nvidia line up of cards is a joke outside of probably the 3070 at msrp price.

the 6800xt kicks the living crap out of it and its not that much more.
blame those impulsive idiots who would pay scalper prices. If everyone was like me, i would let those gpu rot on the shelves until msrp :messenger_persevering:
sometimes you can’t resist though . I bought my 6900xt 100$ above the msrp price advertised here in Canada for the model I wanted. I can’t say no to that when I am looking for a specific version of a card. Not to mention that I never saw the model ever again in any online store since then ( Asus water cooled 6900xt )

so yeah it’s worth it . Now if it was 300$ more ? Fuck it no

Excess

FYI - 3080Ti will only be available in physical locations at Best Buy.

Get there earlier enough, you may be lucky.

Edit: ONLY IN SELECT STORES.

Use SD's tool to find out if a location near you will be stocking. I live in the NYC area, and literally, the only location popping up is 5th Ave in Manhattan.

Godspeed, men... and women!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How is it any different than the 2080Ti compared to the 2080? They always do this shit. Price vs performance curve is exponential. Back when the 3080 launched and people were telling people to wait for the Ti, I "predicted" the rumored 3080 Ti 20GB would launch at 1100-1200. I based that on the cost of moving to 20GB and assuming similar margins to the 3080 and price of GDDR6x to GDDR6 plus the obvious gap in price between the 3080 and 3090 and the price of the 2080Ti. I was very wrong. The price was correct but that was only adding 2GB. All they did was add a small amount more memory and the mem from the 3090, and unlock some more stuff that was already on the GPU for 500 bucks.

Whatever. The prices are ridiculous anyways. If you can score an FE at Best Buy tomorrow, go for it. It would likely involve waiting all day for Best Buy to pick a random time to release their stock and then fighting with a few dozen people for the one card allocated to your closest store. Otherwise wait to see what happens next year when the 4080/4090 launches. If /when the semiconductor supply is sorted out, they might actually over supply GPUs a little in trying to correct from the failures this time around.
I think the difference is that the 2080ti was roughly 30-35% better than the 2080 whereas 3080 Ti offers only 10-13% better performance.

HTK

Banned
Yeah, sure, but you can shove it up your ass.

No one cares you snagged a PS5. If anyone here actually cared about a PS5 we wouldn't be here crying ourselves to sleep that buying a GPU became impossible.

No need to attack there kiddo. I'd like a new GPU as much as the next guy, it'll be okay. Try 2022?

HTK

Banned
I can see pc gaming fall behind due to the price differences.

I mean why bother buying a new gen GPU for more then double the price of a "next-gen" console?
People/Families with smaller income will have to move from PC gaming to console gaming.

I've been checking prices on the AMD Cards an hour ago but I just can't convince myself to spend 900 bucks on a new gpu.
It's economically just completly unreasonable.

Guess Sony is gonna make even more money from me this gen if these prices don't drop eventually.

It's really unfortunate as PC space in general has been gaining mad momentum and all of these shortages and pricing is hurting that space now. I've been trying to build a rig since October 2020 if I remember correctly. Now it's getting to the point of, well Nvidia 4000 series and AMD RDNA3 is kinda around the corner and by that time things should be back to normal? Maybe?

Mister Wolf

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

twilo99

It depends what you’re upgrading from as well. Used Vega 64 and 1080 Ti cards are going for $800+ on Ebay. So it’s a great time to upgrade IF you have a high-demand card already and IF you manage to score a newer one at retail price.

Very true, but that kind of feeds the fire...

I've got a sapphire 5700xt that can probably sell for $800+ but if I do that I am better than a scalper? I dunno

kinjx11

Banned
So all AIB cards are $1400+ with Asus having a $2000 price tag, no the ebay scalpers pricing mind you !!!!

this is another level of bullshit

iJudged

Banned
There was some Discord server sending out stock updates, managed to land a 3080 just 1 week after launch with that. Also used the HotStock app and got a 3090 FE from Best Buy that way in January (then sold my 3080 for the same price I bough the 3090 for lol).

I also signed up for EVGA’s queue as soon as it went live. Just got the email last week and got myself a 3080 FTW3.
how do i delete someone elses comment?

good for you!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I honestly don't have the energy to even try for one now that I think about it. I want one but I'm too old to wait in lines. Even virtual ones lol. Maybe next year I'll upgrade.

well this made my 3090 purchase at msrp seem like a steal now.
Same haha. Imagine being one of the guys who were too busy being high and mighty and screaming about waiting for the 3080 Ti instead of buying an available 3090 during the worst chip shortage in any of our lifetimes. Suckers.

TheKratos

What years is it? Launch of Atari? Nothing lovely about 60fps on pc anymore when we already have 240+hz screens.
Well I said lovely 60fps on PS5. I have a top end PC for well for higher frames as well no need to throw elitist remarks at me.
There's a big misunderstanding. Somehow you must have got the impression this was interesting to me, but I can assure that's not the case.

There's indeed a big misunderstanding. I truly give no fucks what interests you. Don't think me quoting random nobodies on the world wide web costs me a lot of effort, time or money.

martino

I've got a sapphire 5700xt that can probably sell for $800+ but if I do that I am better than a scalper? I dunno
if i manage to buy a gpu at msrp i will not sell my 1080ti more than 300€. this feel like an honest price to me

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Well I said lovely 60fps on PS5. I have a top end PC for well for higher frames as well no need to throw elitist remarks at me.
Cool but this is not about PS5 as it can´t replace a good enough (or any) VGA .

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

No it really doesn’t. By selling your 5700xt you’d be helping to satisfy demand and drive the cost down ever so slightly. Maybe you feel virtuous but all you’re accomplishing by hanging on to that card is helping to keep the price high so other people can profit from selling theirs.

RasAlGhoul

Man I sold my 5700xt months ago for over a grand thinking I’d be able to get another card relatively quickly. I’d love a 3070ti but these will just be impossible to get.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
if i manage to buy a gpu at msrp i will not sell my 1080ti more than 300€. this feel like an honest price to me
Congrats, 99% chance you’ll just end up selling it to a scalper who will turn right around and resell it for its actual market value.

If you personally know a gamer who is trying to get their hands on one then that would be a nice thing to sell it to them at a cheap price. But otherwise you’ll just sell it at way below the market value and some scalper will be the one who gets the profit instead of you.

martino

Congrats, 99% chance you’ll just end up selling it to a scalper who will turn right around and resell it for its actual market value.

If you personally know a gamer who is trying to get their hands on one then that would be a nice thing to sell it to them at a cheap price. But otherwise you’ll just sell it at way below the market value and some scalper will be the one who gets the profit instead of you.
when i sell or donate something i mostly use leboncoin in my country
i only do accept physical exchange
not a 100% guarantee but it will help reduce the scalping

There's a big misunderstanding. Somehow you must have got the impression this was interesting to me, but I can assure that's not the case.

tenor.gif

😂 Laughed pretty hard at your post. And I fully agree with it: I absolutely fucking hate it when people are talking about an issue, and some fucking idiot comes in to the thread gloating and bragging with "ahkshually [whatever the problem being discussed] is not a problem for me, sucks for you."

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Any word on how many each Best Buy will get? I would probably wait in line if it was for a regular 3080 and i wasn't sick from the Covid vaccine. Having a chance to bypass the bots is still an improvement i guess.

Sygma

70% price increase for barely 10% of performance increase. And the fucking morons who'll actually buy it can't even be blamed after being locked out of the 3000 series since launch. In other words, Nvidia is just playing all of you precisely because of the state of the market, and the consumers are eating it up, how lovely

amigastar

I've never seen such a fucked up situation for graphicscards and new Console, ever. Really pisses me off because i wanted to upgrade my PC. And now i can't.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What’s the fucking point. You can’t buy the cunting things. Fuck you nVidia and fuck your miners.

/salty as fuck.

I can see pc gaming fall behind due to the price differences.

I mean why bother buying a new gen GPU for more then double the price of a "next-gen" console?
People/Families with smaller income will have to move from PC gaming to console gaming.

I've been checking prices on the AMD Cards an hour ago but I just can't convince myself to spend 900 bucks on a new gpu.
It's economically just completly unreasonable.

Guess Sony is gonna make even more money from me this gen if these prices don't drop eventually.

There are more ampere cards on steam than any other generation of cards. nvidia is making record sales compared to any other year. Steam has more players than it ever had.

The market is growing, not shrinking

I'm aware. It's just a figurative score. I mentioned that it should have cost $999. It does provide almost equal performance to the RTX 3090 in most cases (mostly at 4K) and 12GB is the sweet spot for gaming, but for $300 less than a 3090 and being released 8 months later, the 3080 Ti feels.... I don't know, unnecessary, and expensive considering it costs 50% more than the 3080.

its not 50% more money, its 72% more expensive. For 9-13% more performance.

God I remember when when the highest end GPU’s were like 3 to 400 brand new. What happened?

when was that ? during the voodoo 2/3 days, in the 90s ? Geforce 3 in february 2001 launched at 500 dollars.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Going to see if I can get the wife to head across town and see how many are lined up at the Miami BB.

Its date night so not sure I want to bore her with gaming talk :)

smbu2000

Yeah it's funny that my Radeon VII are being sold at up to $1600 when I bought mine for $699 back in April 2019. You can do that trick as well, and more than sure those paying that much for Radeon VII are mostly collectors. The new Radeon VII Pro has similar specs at $1899 MSRP, so maybe they're after that 16GB HDM2 with 1TB/s bandwidth for some workstation uses? Or probably good at mining bitcoins? Don't know.
They are probably also pretty good at mining.
There is also another market for them as well. They can be used in Mac Pro systems. (Drivers available in macOS.)
The official Radeon Pro Vega II card (with 32GB of RAM) costs $2800 from Apple, so the Vega VII is still less expensive. It’s not as seamless as the official card, but it works.

Oh and Intel uses their own fabs.

dorkimoe

FYI - 3080Ti will only be available in physical locations at Best Buy.

Get there earlier enough, you may be lucky.

Edit: ONLY IN SELECT STORES.

Use SD's tool to find out if a location near you will be stocking. I live in the NYC area, and literally, the only location popping up is 5th Ave in Manhattan.

Godspeed, men... and women!
There anything like this for 3080? I didnt even bother chasing one down and I dont plan on paying scalper price. But any stock alerts for 3080?

nemiroff

Gold Member
I remember questioning the logic behind squeezing a Ti in a tight fit between the 3080 and 3090.. And of course it ended up exactly how I expected. There's basically no point to this card for most people, the relatively tiny amount of extra performance, and with a really bad performance per dollar ratio compared to the 3080 is far from ideal. With that said though, the 3080s are still being sold for ~2000 dollars (because the shops have none..). So if you really want a 308X card and have a chance to get your hands on the first batch of Ti cards for hundreds of dollars less.. Yes then of course it kinda makes sense..

Last edited:
Wonder if the core count factor is hitting diminishing returns.

Would probably get one if it wasn’t such a joke out there. Scalpers will make a quick grand easily per card. Might just wait for a prebuilt.

Phase

I wonder how far behind the 3070ti will be in performance to the 3080? I might consider getting in a queue for that one too.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'll be trying to get one of these tomorrow... it will literally be more than twice as fast as my 1080 Ti.

Brofist

Why are consoles immune to this?
Well you can probably bet your ass that some people over at Sony and MS are wondering if they shouldn't have just released at $100 more. But consoles are more locked in, they can't just release a slightly upgraded model a half year later for a much higher price.

Excess

There anything like this for 3080? I didnt even bother chasing one down and I dont plan on paying scalper price. But any stock alerts for 3080?
Not that exact tool, but yes, there's an entire community on SD. It helped me get a 3080 back in November. Sign up for the card you want to track, and you'll be notified every single time it goes in stock on multiple vendor sites. It's a tiring process, but if you keep at it, it's your best shot.

Phase

Not that exact tool, but yes, there's an entire community on SD. It helped me get a 3080 back in November. Sign up for the card you want to track, and you'll be notified every single time it goes in stock on multiple vendor sites. It's a tiring process, but if you keep at it, it's your best shot.

I wish there was a way to be alerted for a specific brand of card. I don't want to be alerted for every 3080.

Top Bottom