• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3080ti previews coming out

Excess

I wish there was a way to be alerted for a specific brand of card. I don't want to be alerted for every 3080.
You can, but you have install a script and set it up properly. I was also using this at the time, but you need to be careful with it because your IP is literally pinging the site over and over, and you don't want them to IP ban you.

You're better off just getting all the 3080 alerts from SD and then just ignoring the ones you're not interested in, though. It's okay, everyone also makes a jokes about Zotac whenever an alert for it appears.

iu

20cent

Banned
Who buy these? What kind of job these people do? Do they save money for a graphic card? Do they spend their savings for a graphics card? Do people take a loan for a graphic card? I'm so confused.
Nowadays $1000 and up mobile phones and graphic cards are the norm, what is going on? A $500 graphic card is already a luxury.

Make kids, buy a home and stop buying trash.

TheKratos

Well you can probably bet your ass that some people over at Sony and MS are wondering if they shouldn't have just released at $100 more. But consoles are more locked in, they can't just release a slightly upgraded model a half year later for a much higher price.
Well in the current situation it's not even slightly upgraded models. The original 3080 selling for 2k+, that's what almost 3x MSRP... imagine PS5 going for 1500 due to shortages in retail.

supernova8

Banned
Why are consoles immune to this?

Probably because consoles are a "finished product" in a sense (and far more mainstream than GPUs). If Sony/Microsoft suddenly hiked the price it would probably be all over the news "Sony doubles the price of PS5, greedy corporation takes advantage of supply issues".

On the other hand, GPUs are kinda "components" if you think about it. Cannot do much with a GPU by itself. I think that's why people/society/the market one day accepted that prices will fluctuate.

Plus, they technically haven't bumped up their prices, right? They're still selling the existing 30 series cards for their RRP. Nobody can get them at that price but they still are. the 3080 Ti is a new card and it's not like Sony/Microsoft are in a position to pump out a new console just to cash in on short term supply issues.

supernova8

Banned
Who buy these? What kind of job these people do? Do they save money for a graphic card? Do they spend their savings for a graphics card? Do people take a loan for a graphic card? I'm so confused.
Nowadays $1000 and up mobile phones and graphic cards are the norm, what is going on? A $500 graphic card is already a luxury.

Yeah the most expensive GPU I've ever bought was a GTX 1060 a few years back. I've generally found that most of the good-looking PC games look great (and run great) on medium settings anyway, and getting anything better is overkill. I suppose I could justify the equivalent of a 1070 if the price was right but other than that... no thanks.

I'm just hoping that AMD's next Ryzen APUs that (hopefully) have Navi 2 GPU cores will provide a whole new baseline (ie raise the floor) for graphics performance and make people think again about buying these crazy GPUs. Of course, the nutters buying 3090s will still buy them of course, but hopefully the mid range stuff will be cheaper (ie 3060 Ti not being 400 RRP).

Last edited:

Phase

Yeah the most expensive GPU I've ever bought was a GTX 1060 a few years back. I've generally found that most of the good-looking PC games look great (and run great) on medium settings anyway, and getting anything better is overkill. I suppose I could justify the equivalent of a 1070 if the price was right but other than that... no thanks.

I'm just hoping that AMD's next Ryzen APUs that (hopefully) have Navi 2 GPU cores will provide a whole new baseline (ie raise the floor) for graphics performance and make people think again about buying these crazy GPUs. Of course, the nutters buying 3090s will still buy them of course, but hopefully the mid range stuff will be cheaper (ie 3060 Ti not being 400 RRP).
Honestly, I might wait a couple of years and take a chance on a used strix 3080 if I can find one. I have no idea what the market will be like then though, but there aren't really any games I need the new gpu for right now tbh. No way I am paying current asking prices.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Honestly, I might wait a couple of years and take a chance on a used strix 3080 if I can find one. I have no idea what the market will be like then though, but there aren't really any games I need the new gpu for right now tbh. No way I am paying current asking prices.

It's funny I still have my RX 560 (which I bought used for like $40) after buying a used 1650 (with a dodgy fan that was easy to fix), and judging by eBay prices I can probably get near $100 for it (or more depending on when I post it).

If I could go back in time I'd just buy a bunch of RTX 2060s and sell them (can't beat 'em, join 'em :D)

TransTrender

Gold Member
This exactly what i was afraid of. Nvidia regretted the msrp of the 3080 and are using this as a back door to jack up up the price. I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturing dies down on the 3080 or stops altogether.
Absolutely this.
It's not like there is magically more fab capacity or GDDR6X parts. You could see this already happening in the EVGA queues where 3080 drops have really slowed down over the last two months.

Fuck Nvidia and fuck the current situation. They could have taken the hit and release more 3080 with the defective chips or try to go for 999$, but why would they if they just sell whatever they can manufacture, regardless of the price?

I feel bad for all the PC gamers out there. Don't get a GPU at these inflated prices, get a console instead.
You can’t buy a console either

cripterion

I'm laughing seeing the prices and the performance of the card that overs around 60 FPS at 4K in some games and all these dudes praising it like it's just pure gold.

Pc gaming is just a joke nowadays.

Fredrik

I'm laughing seeing the prices and the performance of the card that overs around 60 FPS at 4K in some games and all these dudes praising it like it's just pure gold.

Pc gaming is just a joke nowadays.
It’s cheaper than a 3090 and almost perform like a 3090 that was launched half a year ago, I don’t think you can expect more. And benchmarks usually play at the highest settings at native 4K so it’s easy to tweak stuff til you’re satisfied.
I’m really just pissed that I know I won’t find one just like with the 3080. PC gaming is great but the PC hardware industry is completely broken.

cripterion

It’s cheaper than a 3090 and almost perform like a 3090 that was launched half a year ago, I don’t think you can expect more. And benchmarks usually play at the highest settings at native 4K so it’s easy to tweak stuff til you’re satisfied.
I’m really just pissed that I know I won’t find one just like with the 3080. PC gaming is great but the PC hardware industry is completely broken.

On that I somewhat agree.

For me it's hard to get excited with this card on the initial price point when it's the same perf as the 3090 that came out months ago. Just because the price of the 3090 was ridiculous doesn't make this card a good value proposition.
Just goes to show how much Nvidia fucked with our minds if we think paying this type of prices for their cards is worth it on that level of performance .

Last edited:

Fredrik

On that I somewhat agree.

For me it's hard to get excited with this card on the initial price point when it's the same perf as the 3090 that came out months ago. Just because the price of the 3090 was ridiculous doesn't make this card a good value proposition.
Just goes to show how much Nvidia fucked with our minds if we think paying this type of prices for their cards is worth it on that level of performance .
I’d say that no graphics card is worth the money right now, but it is what it is. Mining, scalpers, component supply issues, covid, everything is messed up.
But I only have a 1080ti, so if I can find a 3080ti then I’ll buy it, zero hesitation. Nvidia stocks are paying for my upgrades anyway so I’ve found a way to cope with the costs. But I don’t expect to find one, I’ve been here before, still have a 3080 on order since about half a year back. 😕

Last edited:
Imagine if there was no AMD ..
Wouldn't make a difference at this point. The worldwide shortage of semiconductors is the same either way. AMD knows it, that's why they are basically matching Nvidia's pricing because it's not like it matters what the MSRP of something is these days.

Last edited:

cripterion

I’d say that no graphics card is worth the money right now, but it is what it is. Mining, scalpers, component supply issues, covid, everything is messed up.
But I only have a 1080ti, so if I can find a 3080ti then I’ll buy it, zero hesitation. Nvidia stocks are paying for my upgrades anyway so I’ve found a way to cope with the costs. But I don’t expect to find one, I’ve been here before, still have a 3080 on order since about half a year back. 😕

Yeah exactly my thoughts.

I usually upgrade every cycle, by reselling my currenty card and buying not the top end TITAN or Ti models but 80's line. I currently have a RTX2080 and I remember at the time people were saying the series 2000 wasn't worth it... I'm still glad I got is as the card hasn''t given me any trouble but like I've said I'm quite miffed paying such a high price for a GPU in the end (around 850€ on release). I guess I'm also part of the problem.

Right now we've reached ridiculous levels where I even see 1050ti selling for 500-600€. Don't get me started on series 3000.

Once the semiconductor crisis is over and we're over COVID, I'm afraid the prices will still be too high, Nvidia, hell AMD too know they have pc gamers by the balls and that no matter the price point, the cards will sell.

I've always been a pc gamer through and through, I work in IT and I still spend quite some time on my pc, funnily enough doing less and less gaming on it. I'm allergic to 30 fps, yet I've had the most fun on consoles, playing with my 2 kids on Monster Hunter and kinda forgetting about the settings and long load times.
Granted that's a feat which could be also done on pc but imagine the investment of having 3 gaming pc instead of just my actual combo : PS4, PS4 Pro & PS5.

I love pc gaming cause I actually like to build my rig, it's a real treat, but yeah all these components being hard to find and expensive out of the ass is a real turnoff.

Receiving shit like that on my mail box makes my blood boil :

KfRbAlN.jpg

Last edited:

skneogaf

What time in the UK will these things be available to purchase?

If I can somehow magically get one for £1049 which I'm told the cheapest version will be msrp then I'll buy one.

Fredrik

Yeah exactly my thoughts.

I usually upgrade every cycle, by reselling my currenty card and buying not the top end TITAN or Ti models but 80's line. I currently have a RTX2080 and I remember at the time people were saying the series 2000 wasn't worth it... I'm still glad I got is as the card hasn''t given me any trouble but like I've said I'm quite miffed paying such a high price for a GPU in the end (around 850€ on release). I guess I'm also part of the problem.

Right now we've reached ridiculous levels where I even see 1050ti selling for 500-600€. Don't get me started on series 3000.

Once the semiconductor crisis is over and we're over COVID, I'm afraid the prices will still be too high, Nvidia, hell AMD too know they have pc gamers by the balls and that no matter the price point, the cards will sell.

I've always been a pc gamer through and through, I work in IT and I still spend quite some time on my pc, funnily enough doing less and less gaming on it. I'm allergic to 30 fps, yet I've had the most fun on consoles, playing with my 2 kids on Monster Hunter and kinda forgetting about the settings and long load times.
Granted that's a feat which could be also done on pc but imagine the investment of having 3 gaming pc instead of just my actual combo : PS4, PS4 Pro & PS5.

I love pc gaming cause I actually like to build my rig, it's a real treat, but yeah all these components being hard to find and expensive out of the ass is a real turnoff.

Receiving shit like that on my mail box makes my blood boil :

KfRbAlN.jpg
Yeah it’s a weird situation. And I refuse to pay scalper prices for anything, that’s why I still have a 1080ti, I rather try finding one at launch and then crawl back up on the fence a bit grumpier if I can’t find one than overpaying for an already expensive thing.

Feels like I’m not nerd enough to score a card though, I see people talk about using Linux bots and Discord channels and what not. I’m just staring at my local web store hoping there aren’t too many people thinking about graphics cards now that the summer is here.

Anyway I’ve been jumping on the ti cards since 780ti but skipped 2080ti so for me it’s time to upgrade, if they let me.

YukiOnna

At $1200 it's a total joke. ~8% faster over 3080 at 4K and even less at 1440p. He's right that 3090 makes some sense with 24GB of VRAM, if you're a dev.

Tech Jesus delivers again with a sound review and humor to boot.

"Performance landed it ahead of the 3080 by about... 8%. Wow. Cool. That's worth $400."

llien

"Performance landed it ahead of the 3080 by about... 8%. Wow. Cool. That's worth $400."
Moot point though.
3090 is what, 10% ahead? That's worth $1000, I guess.

Competitor offerings is the only thing that would make a different here, if GPU demand wasn't ridiculously high due to planetary level crypto bubble.

llien

How is it any different than the 2080Ti compared to the 2080? They always do this shit. Price vs performance curve is exponential.
It is exponential when there is no competition,yet 6900XT beats even 3090 in the newest titles.

This time it has "you can't buy anything anyhow" to it.

Last edited:

llien

I'm just hoping that AMD's next Ryzen APUs that (hopefully) have Navi 2 GPU cores will provide a whole new baseline (ie raise the floor) for graphics performance and make people think again about buying these crazy GPUs.
Some mind blowing V stacking stuff is coming, even Zen3 will get boosted by additional cache (estimated 15% IPC gain).

If I got it right, the approach could be used to "glue" chips together in GPU world.
If so:

o06ddpdiwwf11.jpg

The housing market is even more busted than the graphics card market. No thanks. At least I can buy an overpriced graphics card without becoming a debt slave.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Some mind blowing V stacking stuff is coming, even Zen3 will get boosted by additional cache (estimated 15% IPC gain).

If I got it right, the approach could be used to "glue" chips together in GPU world.
If so:

o06ddpdiwwf11.jpg
Interesting thing is that the Xilinx acquisition hasn't even gone through yet, so you have to wonder when exactly they started 3D stacking work (together or by themselves).

I'm really glad I got my 3900X, it's like the sweet spot between earlier Ryzen stuff and the later 5000 series where you don't really see that much of a difference unless you're checking benchmarks.

Year after next would be a good time to upgrade, to give them time to iron out issues with stacking (although not necessary since my 3900X is still an absolute beast in most applications).

Fredrik

For both AMD and NV, GPU revenue has doubled, year over year.

Let it sink in.
Use it to your advantage. The Nvidia stock is up 28% for the year, 91% since this time last year, 1500+ percent over the last 5 years. If you’re willing to take a risk, let the GPU upgrade money grow on stocks if you can’t score a card or don’t want to upgrade yet. 👍

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

bill murray GIF

What’s with the facial expressions in those youtube thumbnails?
It's to attract the kids and youngsters. They are brain dead but seem to click on anyone making a moron face, they watch 10 seconds before skipping forward then 10 seconds then skip forward. Just the way they are now a days.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

I don't know anyone in real life that buys extremely high end graphics cards, but I know a lot of people that spend more than that annually on golf or hunting gear/trips.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

We have people here who spend 8k on a tv. Dont worry about it. It's not your money.

Mister Wolf

Union Electrician Inside Wireman IBEW 11

Last edited:
There are like 30,000 trying to buy one on Scan atm so the thirst is real despite the price. They probably have a few hundred if past releases are anything to go by.

Scalpers and miners? Sure, probably, but Nvidia laughing all the way to the bank.

I can't blame any of these companies for reacting to the market. Its funny.

Everyone started paying $1500-2000 for a 3090, so Nvidia is now taking leftover binned dies and making 3090 Lites for $1200-1500. And they're saving even more on unit cost by cutting VRAM by 50%. Smart move for their own wallets, but Nvidia continues to fuck over their customers.

AMD did the same shit with their silly overpriced 6900 XT. $1000-1200 for a card thats basically the same as the $650-800 model? But people bought it. These companies got the message - "higher prices next time please, we love making your margins grow!"
The thing is that whenever there is a shortage of something (food, socks, cars, pens, electronics, etc). The price will go up, be it in money or whatever people are willing to trade in order to obtain "it". If Nvidia or AMD doesn't take the money, retailers will, if retailers don't people who somehow are able to get their hands on one will have to choose between money or whatever others are willing to offer in exchange and keeping the item.

Talk to people who have lived in places where a lot of stuff is constantly in shortage, the grey market will find the real value of something in no time, no matter how unfair you think it is.

skneogaf

I tried my hardest and not once even saw a buy button on all the pages I set up to refresh.

Then my work colleagues that earns more from scalping than we get paid sent me this.

cmlrHLa.jpg

He uses bots that he pays for

Last edited:
Honestly all the Nvidia line up of cards is a joke outside of probably the 3070 at msrp price.

the 6800xt kicks the living crap out of it and its not that much more.

sometimes you can’t resist though . I bought my 6900xt 100$ above the msrp price advertised here in Canada for the model I wanted. I can’t say no to that when I am looking for a specific version of a card. Not to mention that I never saw the model ever again in any online store since then ( Asus water cooled 6900xt )

so yeah it’s worth it . Now if it was 300$ more ? Fuck it no
I entered the Newegg shuffle for the 3080tis this morning and the price difference between the cheapest models and the highest price ones was around 600$😬

Top Bottom