• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror: The Ravenous |OT| The October Movie Marathon

hit me with some good horror movies for a 10 year old, doesnt have to be too soft, but certainly reduced nudity and gore is preferred.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So, I mentioned I have a catalog of some rare ones (mostly 80's) horror movies that will not disappoint. Here are some recommendations to add to your lists that are still available on YouTube or DVD.

One Dark Night 1982(w/ Adam West)

This movie imported real corpses for the mausoleum ending the same way Tobe Hooper did for the pool scene near the ending of Poltergeist. This one will creep you out, especially if mausoleums and corpses scare you.

The Boogeyman

This movie defines more of what a Boogeyman really is than Halloween. Very over-the-top and great B-movie tropes throughout. This makes the non-related 2000's Boogeyman movie look like a pile of crap.

Scarecrows

Ever see a scarecrow movie that was actually creepy. While Night of the Scarecrow is a great fun movie to watch...the 1988 movie Scarecrows is quick and to-the-point on how they want to make the audience feel paranoid and on the edge. It was recently re-released by Shout / Scream Factory under MGM and is worth your time.

Silent Scream 1980

There could be something strange living in the attic...this sounds like a pretty common cliche for 80's horror films. However, of all the "attic" creatures...this one was the strangest I'd ever seen and adds as much suspense as it does thrill.

5. Verotika

I watched it just because it was a Glenn Danzig project; I had no prior awareness of it other than the fact that it existed.

It's just a crappy 3-story anthology with gratuitous nudity and lots of hammy acting and special effects. Apparently this film had some mystique because it was only screened at certain film festivals for a while. A lot of people say it's the new "The Room", but I think it's just junk. The cinematography is atrocious. There's a TON of scenes that linger way too long and the "actors" look really uncomfortable and confused. The harsh lighting makes it look very amateurish; you can see lines where prosthetics were applied on almost everything. There's relatively little dialogue for a 90 minute movie, particularly the last one, which was either a ton of the same, boring shots or possibly just reusing footage over and over. Honestly, I couldn't tell and I was too disinterested to really take a second look.

TBH, I think it might be a fun one to watch with a lot of friends at a party or something. The best part of this movie was knowing that it would end.

PsVoTOn.jpg

Tenaciousmo

5. Verotika

I watched it just because it was a Glenn Danzig project; I had no prior awareness of it other than the fact that it existed.

It's just a crappy 3-story anthology with gratuitous nudity and lots of hammy acting and special effects. Apparently this film had some mystique because it was only screened at certain film festivals for a while. A lot of people say it's the new "The Room", but I think it's just junk. The cinematography is atrocious. There's a TON of scenes that linger way too long and the "actors" look really uncomfortable and confused. The harsh lighting makes it look very amateurish; you can see lines where prosthetics were applied on almost everything. There's relatively little dialogue for a 90 minute movie, particularly the last one, which was either a ton of the same, boring shots or possibly just reusing footage over and over. Honestly, I couldn't tell and I was too disinterested to really take a second look.

TBH, I think it might be a fun one to watch with a lot of friends at a party or something. The best part of this movie was knowing that it would end.
ohh god, my co-worker and i watched that few months ago. I remember liking one of the stories but not enough to ever think of that movie favorably.

5. The Beach House (Shudder)

***/*****

Neat little film about a couple going to a beach house to reconcile but another couple also got permission to stay. Then weird shit starts happening. This is like a low budget Lovecraftian type story about what could happen if sea temperatures rise too much. Some good body horror but it doesn't feel like quite enough, like with just a bit more to it it could have been great or even a masterpiece.

Old Retro

I will add to my anniversary list:

Jacob's Ladder
220px-Jacobsladderposter.jpg

I had never seen this before a few days ago. I was not ready for it. :messenger_dizzy: Pretty disturbing. :messenger_crying:

Hardware
1add44ba2cb6124d51d7914406497d93.jpg

Hollow Man

Insidious

WrevkWJ.jpg

Witchboard (1986)

A Ouija board movie by the director of Night of the Demons (Which is sorta good-ish) and with 80s babe Tawny Kitaen during her peak period? Even managed to spawn a couple sequels; gotta be somewhat entertaining right? Pfft no. Boring cheapo movie that feels like something your dad would make. Terrrible characters, slow paced, dry atmosphere and a mostly uninteresting story. As for kills, 3 for the entire movie and only one within the first hour (And it sucks). Not even worth it for 80s aesthetic or indulgence. You get to see Tawny Kitaen's tits for like half a second though... :messenger_smirking: Avoid.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Just got this email from Cinespia, thought I would share (sorry if there are issues with the pic, it’s a screenshot of the email off my phone):

B0-BFAD32-A789-47-BD-953-B-94096295-FD54.jpg

Here is the link:

I RSVPd for Saturday :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
WrevkWJ.jpg

Witchboard (1986)

A Ouija board movie by the director of Night of the Demons (Which is sorta good-ish) and with 80s babe Tawny Kitaen during her peak period? Even managed to spawn a couple sequels; gotta be somewhat entertaining right? Pfft no. Boring cheapo movie that feels like something your dad would make. Terrrible characters, slow paced, dry atmosphere and a mostly uninteresting story. As for kills, 3 for the entire movie and only one within the first hour (And it sucks). Not even worth it for 80s aesthetic or indulgence. You get to see Tawny Kitaen's tits for like half a second though... :messenger_smirking: Avoid.
During my collecting years I had this as it was one of few 80's horror films to talk about Ouija...er... "Witchboards." I was expecting more but like you said it's boring and slow paced. It felt like it was shot by someone who expected more in romantic drama B-movies. It just never goes anywhere that I remember.

However, I recommend a rare one (only ever released on VHS that I'm aware of) called Eyes of Fire. This one puts you in colonial America and then twists midway into some pilgrims stuck in a forbidden Native American site in the middle of the woods. The things living in the woods still give me the creeps. Even more considering the dark grainy video quality. The whole Celtic soundtrack was written / composed by Brad Fiedel (the guy who wrote the score for Terminator). I interviewed Brad via email about the soundtrack years ago and he said the producers hired someone to play some synthesizers for the creepy scenes but for the bigger score they wanted something folky. So, he wrote a Celtic folk soundtrack playing all instruments. You can watch the full movie freely on YouTube.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
9- Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder)

The real animal killings were honestly the hardest part to watch. Eh.
They did the same thing in the Giallo movie from about the same time called Cannibal Ferox. The Italian crews did a bunch of illegal stuff on those film sets in Columbia. I can't remember if it was Cannibal Holocaust or Ferox where they made one of the Colombians eat a real monkey brain.

Manus

Way behind on posting my films this year. Started off with some werewolf goodness.

fullwidth.8d3f3c8e.jpg

1. Dog Soldiers (2002)
The first of two werewolf films I haven't seen and this one was a doozy. I've been missing out on this for a long time. Loved the design of the werewolfs in this and once it got to the farm house it really picked up.
4 out of 5

1118full-late-phases----------------------------------%282014%29-screenshot.jpg

2. Late Phases (2014)
The second werewolf movie I heard good things about and despite the werewolf design in this one it was still fantastic. Never would of thought a film taking place around a retirement home with werewolfs would be so entertaining.
3 out of 5

one-cut-of-the-dead-movie-review.jpg

3. One Cut of the Dead (2017)
Only heard about this one from RedletterMedia so went in blind. This quickly became one of my favorite films of all time. Not really horror, but definitely still worth a watch.
5 out of 5

Fright-Night-2-570x237.jpg

4. Fright Night (1985)
One of the many 80's horror films that's just perfect. A classic I watch every year.
5 out of 5.

the-ritual.jpg

5. The Ritual (2017)
Probably the best original Netflix horror film. Great monster deisgn and has great atmosphere throughout the film.
4 out of 5.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
6. The Funhouse Massacre

kvKW43c.jpg

So after listening to an old episode of guilty movie pleasures and hearing one of the hosts, Ben Begley, hype this up so many times I finally decided to try it out. Turns out it's a REALLY fun and REALLY gory time. Like man is it gory but there's a good plethora of characters that keep everything clicking along at a good pace with lots of variety in tone without it feeling jarring. In fact Ben is one of the highlights as his goofy police officer goes super over the top with the dopiness to balance out his serious boss and his wife Renee is a great straight person to her group of crazy friends and fellow serial killer hunters. It's a fun premise that makes no illusions of being deep and philosophical. It knows what it is and dials everything up to 11 for a really good time.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
hit me with some good horror movies for a 10 year old, doesnt have to be too soft, but certainly reduced nudity and gore is preferred.
Lady in White is one a child and adult could watch without anything suggestive. No profanity, no nudity or innuendos, nothing of that sort. Almost seems like it was made for family. Or you could try Ernest Scared Stupid.

Wishmaster.jpg

6. Wishmaster

I certainly wasn't expecting what this ended up being. it was fun. screams late 90s. a solid mix of practical and super early CG effects. the cg is hilarious of course, but the practical effects and creature design/makeup were pretty solid. there isn't really much to it other than evil genie fucking up peoples wishes. robert england is in it which was great. i wont watch it again, but it was definitely a nostalgia late 90s/early 2000s romp. not scary at all...just cool, kinda cheesy, and fun

Tenaciousmo

Resident evil The Final Chapter (2016)- and final opus of the alice saga - i hope.

Homecoming movie of a middle-aged woman after going to the west coast, ralise her true goals were where it all started - or soemthing like that.

still dumb, has some good moments, and the special effects are quite better than retribution. but some of those monster designs are dumb, they remind me some of the bosses in RE6 i was laughing at. There's switcharoos on switcharoos, everyone's a clone now also. I was almost happy with the ending... until they opened 5 more doors that I will totally ignore to save what little sanity I have left. - I'm happy I have watched those movie, they are (you guessed it) dumb fun but watching them on release or 2-4 years apart seems to be the optimal way to watch these.

- I will be slowing down for the next few days, let some of you catch up a little Have a good watch guys

So I guess I didnt take that much of a break... booted netflix and had to watch

39e607d4fb611de3768f2b57cda9b0de_500x735.jpg

The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020)

if you havent seen the first one go watch it, it's quite worth the watch. In this one the MC deals with the psychological trauma from the events in one and has to deal with his parents not believeing him

Killer Queen is pretty straight forward, another coming of age movie but it has a horror flavoring added to it. It was enjoyable, if you've seen the first one lately try to avoid promotional stuff as they ruin a fun surprise. The first one was better but it was still worth the watch.

we-summon-the-darkness.jpg

We Summon The Darkness (2019)

There are reports of Heavy Metal fans getting killed all over the country. the movie follows 3 cute girls going to a metal concert

I'm gonna dance around the subject but I think the implication of a character in the killings was not really a surprise and has got me wondering if people are supposed to be surprised.

overall I was enjoying watching the movie, but it felt lacking a little.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Just got this email from Cinespia, thought I would share (sorry if there are issues with the pic, it’s a screenshot of the email off my phone):

B0-BFAD32-A789-47-BD-953-B-94096295-FD54.jpg

Here is the link:

I RSVPd for Saturday :)
Thanks a lot for sharing this! I love Blumhouse and though I'm not entirely sure what exactly is going to happen, I RSVPd immediately.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Re-subscribed to shudder after not using it for like 5 years.

what should I watch? About to check out Host, then maybe The Beach House?

Fev4FnV.jpg

From a Whisper to a Scream

I like the older horror anthology movies and I hadn't seen this one, so I gave it a go. Cast is pretty amusing with Vincent Price, Clu Gulager, Cameron Mitchell(!) and even "Master" from Thunderdome making an appearance. Four stories and all are average at best, with Clu Gulager's opening story being the worst (Unless you count the framing story). Very b-movie and certainly far from the worst of these type...yet there's at least a dozen other anthology movies more worthy of your time. Probably better off just re-watching the Amicus movies or seeking our more memorable oddball stuff like The Monster Club. =P

I need to choose an actual good movie now.

Host (best movie of the year)

Tales of Halloween

Both seasons of Holliston

All episodes of The Last Drive In which include some great movies like
Tourist Trap
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama
Sleepaway Camp
ReAnimator

Demons
Hellraiser
Texas Chainsaw
Hills Have Eyes
Deathgasm
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
Chopping Mall
Brain Damage
One Cut of the Dead

Mayhem
Scare Package
Victor Crowley

Also just added is the WNUF Halloween Special (it's a movie)

Haunt is great too

all of the bolded ones are my top recommendations

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Fev4FnV.jpg

From a Whisper to a Scream

I like the older horror anthology movies and I hadn't seen this one, so I gave it a go. Cast is pretty amusing with Vincent Price, Clu Gulager, Cameron Mitchell(!) and even "Master" from Thunderdome making an appearance. Four stories and all are average at best, with Clu Gulager's opening story being the worst (Unless you count the framing story). Very b-movie and certainly far from the worst of these type...yet there's at least a dozen other anthology movies more worthy of your time. Probably better off just re-watching the Amicus movies or seeking our more memorable oddball stuff like The Monster Club. =P

I need to choose an actual good movie now.
The 80's B-movie horror anthologies were my favorite. I don't include Creepshow as it was a little about B-grade (I have the special edition U.K. edition of Creepshow). I had a lot of fun with From a Whisper to a Scream. Seems like Cameron Mitchell was in like 3 other B-list horror movies in the 80's and he was also in Toolbox Murders. Highly recommend From a Whisper to a Scream. It is one of the last horror films Vincent Price was involved with before his death (I don't count Edward Scissorhands as horror).

Some other great and lesser-known cheesy 80's horror anthologies:

Screamtime

This one came out in 1983 and all of the mini-stories are British filmed. Strangely, the wrap-around story is with 2 New Yorkers who steal the curses Screamtime VHS from a video store. I've never been able to figure out why it appears to be a collaboration of English and American cinema. It's worth watching if you can find it. I had it on a battered VHS and it's never had a release since then that I'm aware of.

Deadtime Stories

This is a fun one from 1986 with about 4 or 5 miniature stories which seemingly are read out of a book shown in the opening credits. Screamtime has this after Image Ent. released a cheap DVD-R version of it prior and they've cleaned it up pretty well.

Creeptales

Trying to market on the "Creepshow" name, this anthology plays more like a series of episodes from the 80's horror TV show Tales From the Darkside. Second episode features Tom Kenny (voice of SpongeBob) in his early career singing and being eaten by a living suitcase. It's cheesy but fun. There is a DVD release but it's DVD-R and isn't any better in quality than the VHS (direct transfer).

Nightmares

This is a fun horror anthology with Emilio Esteves, Lance Henrickson, and Veronica Cartwright. I'd call it a B-movie simply because it didn't sell or gain the attention it needed. It had a limited DVD release and for years I only had it on VHS. Screamtime released it on blu-ray a few years ago and you can find it all there.

Honorable mention...

Cat's Eye (Stephen King)

This is another great Stephen King anthology that is sometimes overlooked. The stories are mostly from the book NightShift but the last story with Drew Barrymore is an original written only for the movie. It's very fun and I just recently picked it up on blu-ray.

J-Roderton

10- Jeruzalem (Shudder)

Found Footgae movie with character wearing google glasses instead of carrying a camera. It’s decent.

11- House Of 1000 Corpses (Hulu)

I last watched this when I was around 14 years old and apparently gave it one star. I watched it after like 15 years last night and loved it. Guess tastes change. 🤣

10- Jeruzalem (Shudder)

Found Footgae movie with character wearing google glasses instead of carrying a camera. It’s decent.

11- House Of 1000 Corpses (Hulu)

I last watched this when I was around 14 years old and apparently gave it one star. I watched it after like 15 years last night and loved it. Guess tastes change. 🤣

Also on Shudder now

Sherri Moon Zombie's ass

4 stars, BlackOlivesMatter BlackOlivesMatter says check it out

1sINiYA.gif

Those were both good, I also recc the following, the ones I liked most are bolded...

A Tale of Two Sisters
Audition
Bad Moon
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Black Christmas
Black Sabbath
Bliss

Blood Quantum
Blood Rage
Brain Damage
Bride of Re-Animator
Cannibal Ferox
Cannibal Holocaust
Chopping Mall
City of the Living Dead

Class of 1984
Color Out of Space
Contamination
Creepshow

Creepshow 2
Deadbeat at Dawn
Dead & Buried
Dead Heat
Deep Red
Demons

Demons 2
Don't Torture a Duckling
From Beyond

Ginger Snaps
Halloween
Haunt (2019)
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Hell House LLC
Hellraiser
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Host
House II: The Second Story
House of 1000 Corpses
Howl
Humanoids from the Deep
Ichi the Killer
Inferno
Late Phases
Mandy
Maniac

Maniac Cop
Maniac Cop 2
Night of the Living Dead
Oldboy
Phantasm
Phenomena
Pieces

Pod
Prom Night
Random Acts of Violence
Re-Animator
Revenge
Ruin Me
Sadako vs. Kayako
Sleepaway Camp
Society
Stake Land
Starry Eyes
Street Trash
Tammy and the T-Rex
Tenebre
Terrified
Theater of Blood
The Beyond
The Cat o' Nine Tails
The Changeling
The Collector

The Evil
The Exorcist III
The Head Hunter
The Hills Have Eyes
The House by the Cemetery
The House of the Devil

The Lift
The Masque of the Red Death
The Mutilator
The Shed
The Slumber Party Massacre
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Void
Victor Crowley
Zombie Flesh Eaters

hxcmuziq

Banned
Poltergeist
Jaws
Beetlejuice
Gremlins
(never seen, but probably) Goosebumps
Young Frankenstein
Damn this dude is the authority on what's good for 10 year olds!
Jaws? Smart! Try taking them in any large body of water after that. (on that note, do not let your 10 year old watch Arachnophobia)
Poltergeist? Good luck next time there's a thunderstorm.
Young Frankenstein? Yeah dude I'm sure a 45 year old black and white movie starring Gene Wilder will have kids enthralled!
I watched BeetleJuice in theaters when I was 9. It gave me some pretty fucked up nightmares I still remember, but my kid liked it and was even him for Halloween.

Hey ThatStupidLion ThatStupidLion
If your kid is mature and doesn't scare easily Slenderman is exactly what you're looking for, suspenseful as hell and pretty scary with no gore. A Quiet Place too if your kid can handle suspense.
Brightburn is the opposite of that gory as fuck, but with purpose. My kid dug it, even though he had to watch parts from behind his hands. So you know, my 11 year old has already watched both the IT movies, the last one in the theater, so his tastes may be a little advanced for your kid.

If your kid likes Jack Skellington you have to check out Laika.
Most important Coraline. If you haven't seen that shit in 3d but have a way to, do it now.
Paranorman by the same people, is KILLER
Boxtrolls, same folks, pretty good, younger.
Kubo and the Two Strings is spooky af but kinda hard for kids to follow.
Frankenwenie
Monster House. Dude if you have a 3d TV and love your kids see everything from Coraline down in 3d if not, they're still great flicks for kids that adults should still dig.

Newer shit... Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was pretty intense and very good, but watch it 1st and see if you're cool with your kid watching it. A House With a Clock it the Walls is by Eli Roth, if that tells you anything, and it's good for kids. Both Goosebumps have killer effects and are good in 3d. Addams family was cute if your kid's a wuss.
Classic shit... Monster Squad, though my kid thought it was a little dull. Ghostbusters, but I thought the new one was good so don't trust my taste lol. The Witches. The Lost Boys.

Oh, Leprechaun, my son was obsessed after we watched that. It's pretty cool because
the kid saves the day in the end.

My kids loved Little Monsters, it's also great if your kid is a scaredy cat.

EDIT: Happosai Happosai for you I add to this list...

Spirited Away!

and Howl's Moving Castle they'll probably make your kid a little weirdo obsessed with Miyazaki though.

Last edited:
It is one of the last horror films Vincent Price was involved with before his death (I don't count Edward Scissorhands as horror).

That reminds me I still need to watch the House of Long Shadows which was the last hurrah of many of the horror actors from the era.

Nightmares

This is a fun horror anthology with Emilio Esteves, Lance Henrickson, and Veronica Cartwright. I'd call it a B-movie simply because it didn't sell or gain the attention it needed. It had a limited DVD release and for years I only had it on VHS. Screamtime released it on blu-ray a few years ago and you can find it all there.

Hey someone actually remembers this. I recall being a kid and catching a little bit on tv with Emilio Estevez and the arcade stuff and thinking it was part of Maximum Overdrive (Which was frequently on TNT at the time). =P

Edit: And speaking of Maximum Overdrive, still holding out hope that King gets over it and finally releases the uncut version.

Last edited:
Damn this dude is the authority on what's good for 10 year olds!
Jaws? Smart! Try taking them in any large body of water after that. (on that note, do not let your 10 year old watch Arachnophobia)
Poltergeist? Good luck next time there's a thunderstorm.
Young Frankenstein? Yeah dude I'm sure a 45 year old black and white movie starring Gene Wilder will have kids enthralled!
I watched BeetleJuice in theaters when I was 9. It gave me some pretty fucked up nightmares I still remember, but my kid liked it and was even him for Halloween.

Hey ThatStupidLion ThatStupidLion
If your kid is mature and doesn't scare easily Slenderman is exactly what you're looking for, suspenseful as hell and pretty scary with no gore. A Quiet Place too if your kid can handle suspense.
Brightburn is the opposite of that gory as fuck, but with purpose. My kid dug it, even though he had to watch parts from behind his hands. So you know, my 11 year old has already watched both the IT movies, the last one in the theater, so his tastes may be a little advanced for your kid.

If your kid likes Jack Skellington you have to check out Laika.
Most important Coraline. If you haven't seen that shit in 3d but have a way to, do it now.
Paranorman by the same people, is KILLER
Boxtrolls, same folks, pretty good, younger.
Kubo and the Two Strings is spooky af but kinda hard for kids to follow.
Frankenwenie
Monster House. Dude if you have a 3d TV and love your kids see everything from Coraline down in 3d if not, they're still great flicks for kids that adults should still dig.

Newer shit... Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was pretty intense and very good, but watch it 1st and see if you're cool with your kid watching it. A House With a Clock it the Walls is by Eli Roth, if that tells you anything, and it's good for kids. Both Goosebumps have killer effects and are good in 3d. Addams family was cute if your kid's a wuss.
Classic shit... Monster Squad, though my kid thought it was a little dull. Ghostbusters, but I thought the new one was good so don't trust my taste lol. The Witches. The Lost Boys.

Oh, Leprechaun, my son was obsessed after we watched that. It's pretty cool because
the kid saves the day in the end.

My kids loved Little Monsters, it's also great if your kid is a scaredy cat.

EDIT: Happosai Happosai for you I add to this list...

Spirited Away!

and Howl's Moving Castle they'll probably make your kid a little weirdo obsessed with Miyazaki though.

BLESS you gaffer some great suggestions!

Have you done the grudge or the ring with your kid? My kods are actually 1 and 3 and the 3yo LOVES the thriller music video. But i was asking for my nephew. He knows i watch lots of horror movies and is trying to emulate me.

hxcmuziq

Banned
BLESS you gaffer some great suggestions!

Have you done the grudge or the ring with your kid? My kods are actually 1 and 3 and the 3yo LOVES the thriller music video. But i was asking for my nephew. He knows i watch lots of horror movies and is trying to emulate me.
Nah, neither of those yet. If you want to get your kids into liking spooky stuff now, I'd suggest the cartoons Camp Lakebottom and Gravity Falls. You could go with Super Monsters on netflix, but I think it's pretty lame. Oh I'm sure your nephew watches Stranger Things, right? He'd probably really dig The Hallow cartoons, they're not bad for adults.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
7. 47 Meters Down: Uncaged

q4SqAMI.jpg

Well this one the problem is pretty plain to see. It's simply too long even though it's only an hour and half. How many times can you do the same escape scene? It really gets old and it's plainly clear there should have been way more setup and less actual swimming and escaping. That sounds like it would be less exciting but it might actually have made me care at the end since they did about one scene of establishing a relationship and then only really bring it back at the very end. I think this is the definition of less is more when it comes to the actual horror moments. They made sharks monotonous by the end.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That reminds me I still need to watch the House of Long Shadows which was the last hurrah of many of the horror actors from the era.

Hey someone actually remembers this. I recall being a kid and catching a little bit on tv with Emilio Estevez and the arcade stuff and thinking it was part of Maximum Overdrive (Which was frequently on TNT at the time). =P

Edit: And speaking of Maximum Overdrive, still holding out hope that King gets over it and finally releases the uncut version.
People should try adding more Vincent Price films to their lists for October in general. I used to own nearly every movie of his except a rare VHS thing he hosted called Escapes. The Corman-Price movies were some of my favourites.

I just learned something new about Maximum Overdrive. I recall someone releasing it on blu-ray a couple years ago but I just read why Stephen King disowned it. If that uncut version exists, King will never allow it's release. Stephen King holds long grudges...he's still angry about the Shining.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
#3 - Burial Ground
burial-ground-noites-de-terror_t12416_h6U5ucb.jpg

It's a weird movie, like Explosive Zombie said, I really liked the atmosphere
The story makes no sense, but who cares?
There's
some kind of incest, weird "kid"
, gore, dumb characters, it's a movie to watch without any worries, I liked, good entertaining time
The zombies were well made and actually looked creepy. The weird "kid" in the movie was actually an adult with some kind of growth disorder. This movie gives the audience a throw for the ending.

If you plan on watching this, don't read the...
Everyone dies at the end of the movie.

The zombies were well made and actually looked creepy. The weird "kid" in the movie was actually an adult with some kind of growth disorder. This movie gives the audience a throw for the ending.

If you plan on watching this, don't read the...
Everyone dies at the end of the movie.

Yeah, the movie has some of the best zombies though my favorites are probably the ones in Lucio Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters.

images

7. The Night Eats the World

Love me a zombie flick, usually for the atmosphere and adventure aspects. This wasnt bad by any stretch, but it was just, maybe a little boring? the Best part was the first 30 min, not that much happens, but its when he is exploring the apartment building so every room is new to him and he goes around collecting supplies - felt very videogame'y' and authentic. The MC stays cooped up in his 5 apartment building for the entire movie though, so theres very little actual going ons and zombie encounters. the zombie makeup was actually pretty great I thought. Its more a movie about the guy trying to survive and going crazy with boredom etc. In fact thats probably why I was bored with the movie. Theres no true plot/arcs/problems to overcome - in most zombie movies the MC is trying to find other survivors or a safer location....in this one the MC just holes up. theres plenty you can do from one setting, but they dont fully explore what they could have. probably due to budget im sure. in fact, now that i think about it...i dont think they showed ONE ZOMBIE getting killed. overall for a quiet ( i think the move had a total of 20 lines of dialog) and psychological atmospheric zombie apocalypse movie its fine. dont expect much action though.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
#3 - Burial Ground
burial-ground-noites-de-terror_t12416_h6U5ucb.jpg

It's a weird movie, like Explosive Zombie said, I really liked the atmosphere
The story makes no sense, but who cares?
There's
some kind of incest, weird "kid"
, gore, dumb characters, it's a movie to watch without any worries, I liked, good entertaining time
One last word on this and why such a low-budget movie was a better zombie flick than anything made in the last 30-years.

Check out these zombies from the movie Burial Ground. Notice how they actually look like bodies that have been decomposing for awhile and how we're not seeing a bunch of eye make-up or contact lenses. That's what a real body might look like after 10 or more days in the ground.

FUpbyeb.jpg

Ke048j7.jpg

fgB5Yo7.jpg

This is what a zombie looks like from World War Z. I get it, these guys haven't decomposed much but even in movies like Stephen King's 1922...the zombies (I assume they're zombies...in his mind anyway) just don't look scary anymore. I've noticed Hollywood has been rely more on CGI to show decomposed faces rather than foam latex, a lot of make-up, and red or black contact lenses. They look more akin to members of a death metal band than something that's actually going to give you the creeps. That's why I say it's nice to try something different. Here's one example of the teeth chattering zombie from World War Z. Not much to the imagination for a zombie...in fact, he's not far from looking like a normal living human.

o0AmY4V.jpg

Anyway, back to the lists! I also highly recommend to those of you looking for some creepy 80's horror films to add this to your list:

Slaughter High

This one from 1986 features some great special effects and unique scares. An English cast which was apparently told to play their roles with American English accents and an original title of "April Fools Day." The movie title was changed prior to release due to an American movie coming out that same year with the same name. The story follows the cool Seniors of a high school getting ready to prank a chemistry nerd. The prank goes wrong and the nerd gets permanently hospitalized. Some years later, the former popular kids return to their now abandoned high school for a reunion. However, someone planned a welcoming party for them and terrible things start happening to all of the attendees almost as if the lost nerd was there getting his revenge. Fun cheesy low-budget horror with an Alice Cooper-sounding theme song. Check it out!

Theme song "April Fools Day"

HfESdDS.jpg

Waxwork (1988)

I think most people have seen this one and it's definitely a lot of fun. Group goes into the wax museum, stepping into an exhibit places you into that reality and if you die there, you become part of the exhibit. Then the movie goes off rails into total mayhem and it's great. Plus you got Billy from Gremlins as the lead, Bobby from Twin Peaks being as a jerkoff yuppie and the great David Warner as the main villain (Though even he can't save shitty dialogue like "Run, Run! There's nowhere to run!"). Production is a little sloppy or cheap at times but ultimately a fun movie and definitely recommended.

I watched the unrated version so the gore was pretty decent though there were some quick edits that make me wonder if there was an even more violent cut at one point. What's there is pretty entertaining though.
qa4rBle.gif

Though truth to be told, I mainly watched this because I plan to follow it up with part 2, which I've never seen despite owning. The subtitle "Lost in Time" is already offputting. =P

HfESdDS.jpg

Waxwork (1988)

I think most people have seen this one and it's definitely a lot of fun. Group goes into the wax museum, stepping into an exhibit places you into that reality and if you die there, you become part of the exhibit. Then the movie goes off rails into total mayhem and it's great. Plus you got Billy from Gremlins as the lead, Bobby from Twin Peaks being as a jerkoff yuppie and the great David Warner as the main villain (Though even he can't save shitty dialogue like "Run, Run! There's nowhere to run!"). Production is a little sloppy or cheap at times but ultimately a fun movie and definitely recommended.

I watched the unrated version so the gore was pretty decent though there were some quick edits that make me wonder if there was an even more violent cut at one point. What's there is pretty entertaining though.
qa4rBle.gif

Though truth to be told, I mainly watched this because I plan to follow it up with part 2, which I've never seen despite owning. The subtitle "Lost in Time" is already offputting. =P

Where did you find this unrated?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
HfESdDS.jpg

Waxwork (1988)

qa4rBle.gif

It's fun and sometimes it's like 1 in 5 80's B-movie titles I've found that friends liked who were more into modern horror. There are a few good actors in it, although some acted a bit goofy. The Vestron release on blu-ray is the best by far. All previous releases were partially censored and the audio was terrible on the DVD releases. They fixed almost everything for the Vestron release. I think my favorite death scenes were in the Vampire exhibition and I got a kick out of the police office in the mummy's tomb. The ending was something else, too. Never watched the second one either.

7. It Waits (Amazon Prime)

***/*****

Low budget flick about people accidentally unleashing some ancient demon buried in a cave system. The film follows a large-breasted woman who works one of those park ranger stations who's dealing with the guilt of a dead friend by trying to drown her sorrows with alcohol. Everything is kind of middling, like the action isn't good enough to enjoy or bad enough to laugh at, the practicals are fine but the CGI is horrendous and the music is cheesy as fuck especially the stuff with vocals. I still had fun, I dug the premise and there's some fun grisly stuff, don't expect much, though.

8. Dark Knight of the Scarecrow (Amazon Prime)

**/*****

Made-for-TV horror movie that feels made-for-TV. It's got some decent actors and the story is fine but don't expect it to quench your thirst for blood.

Domisto

#10 Psycho 2 (1983)

Wait, dredging up 20 year old films for a sequel isn't just a recent thing? Of course not. Whilst unnecessary this is actually a very good follow up. A rewatch for me. I thought I remembered it but turns out I forgot some stuff about the ending, so it still had some surprises. Kept me really engaged, it's both enjoyable and kind of a sad story. A little crazy too, naturally.

Psycho-II-B.jpg

Top Bottom