• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

320GB PS3 lowered to £149.99 at Amazon - Price cut planned for E3?

DSc

Black 320GB PS3's have been reduced to £149.99 at Amazon. These normally retail for about £200, and seems too much of a coincidence to knock 25% off the price the night before E3 kicks off...

Could Sony be planning on announcing a PS3 price cut at E3?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006015GAM/

jono51

Banned
Wow. Fantastic price if it is an official cut. If there's a cut on the 160gb too then I'd be very interested in one.

They'd be smarter to just put a 100GB one at £99.99

I honestly don't believe the bigger hard drive really sways that many people, at least not as much as a cheaper price.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If only PS3 would play native MKV's. It would make a excellent multimedia player.

Busty

Banned
I know a ton of people who would 'dive in' for that price.

Ironically I've heard a lot of 'none console' people talking about buying a PS3 for all it's other functions (BR playback, Lovefilm/Netflix etc) rather than games recently.

I think that the PS3 has still to really hit it's 'sweet spot' in terms of mass market price. And this could be a huge step towards it.

I think HMV was selling these for £170 a while ago, normally about 230 with a game. I wouldn't be surprised if the price drops at E3.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Surprising if true, they usually leave price drops for GamesCom.
Hopefully there will be an official price it though, if we are getting a PS4 next year it would be great to really put the PS3 out there for its last solo year.

They'd be smarter to just put a 100GB one at £99.99

I honestly don't believe the bigger hard drive really sways that many people, at least not as much as a cheaper price.

Out of all the expensive parts in the PS3 that has taken them years to reduce, it isn't the Hard Drive size keeping it higher.
They kept increasing the HDD size while keeping the same cost because it is cheaper to do and gives the perception that consumers are getting more for their money.

Wow that's really a good price. But wouldn't a price reduction for the PS Vita make a lot more sense??

If only PS3 would play native MKV's. It would make a excellent multimedia player.

It's not really a big deal imo. MKV containers have most of the time a h.264 video stream, so you can easily put the file in a MP4 container. If the audio stream is not AAC you have to convert it. I use "Avidemux" for this, it takes only a few seconds or a few minutes (if audio has to be converted).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
PS3 media server is your friend. It plays absolutely everything and streams it to your console from your PC. I have been using it for years, it's amazing.

If you're going to run a PC. You may as well run XBMC on it (like I do) and have the best multimedia player on the planet. PS3 not required.

Gemüsepizza;38453142 said:
Wow that's really a good price. But wouldn't a price reduction for the PS Vita make a lot more sense??

It's not really a big deal imo. MKV containers have most of the time a h.264 video stream, so you can easily put the file in a MP4 container. If the audio stream is not AAC you have to convert it. I use "Avidemux" for this, it takes only a few seconds or a few minutes if audio has to be converted.

If you have to jump through hoops to achieve playback. 99.9% of folks won't bother. Including me.

Out of all the expensive parts in the PS3 that has taken them years to reduce, it isn't the Hard Drive size keeping it higher.
They kept increasing the HDD size while keeping the same cost because it is cheaper to do and gives the perception that consumers are getting more for their money.

Though swapping an HDD out for a cheaper 32GB SSD could be becoming viable around now.

Krilekk

Banned
Black 320GB PS3's have been reduced to £149.99 at Amazon. These normally retail for about £200, and seems too much of a coincidence to knock 25% off the price the night before E3 kicks off...

Could Sony be planning on announcing a PS3 price cut at E3?

I doubt it. Amazon Europe often cuts prices for short periods of time. And European price cuts are typically announced at GamesCon. And Sony struggles enough as it is, they can't afford to have another part of the company come up with losses. Then there is Vita. How do you sell a Vita for 199 if the PS3 is at 149? Yes, they are different systems, but still.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you're going to run a PC. You may as well run XBMC on it (like I do) and have the best multimedia player on the planet. PS3 not required.

I'd reckon not that many people have their PC's hooked up to their living room TV's.

It won't play mkv's for me, but tversity will.

Then you are doing something wrong or using an outdated version. But yeah, plenty of software out there that streams media to a PS3.

C_H_T

I don't think they're going to lower the price of the PS3 @ E3. If they do, it'll be at gamescom.
If they lower the price, it'll just make the PSVITA looks more expensive.
A pricecut is needed for the PSVITA (too).

edit: beaten.

Fox Mulder

I think that the PS3 has still to really hit it's 'sweet spot' in terms of mass market price. And this could be a huge step towards it.

yeah, part of me wants to finally get a ps3 if it finally hits $199, but this generation is almost over anyways. I don't recall consoles being this pricey for so long, since they've primarily used value adds like bundles or a larger HDD.

cyberheater

I'd reckon not that many people have their PC's hooked up to their living room TV's.

Then you are doing something wrong or using an outdated version. But yeah, plenty of software out there that streams media to a PS3.

Yeah. You're probably right.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

If you have to jump through hoops to achieve playback. 99.9% of folks won't bother. Including me.

I think his point was aimed at those who have media on their PC but their PC isn't connected to the TV they want to watch it on, and that would be most people.

I personally have no urge to sit in my computer chairhos high it is pretty damn comfortable, lol) and watch a movie on my monitor when my one PC can stream my media using PS3MediaServer to my old PS3 in the living room or to my PS3/360 that is on the opposite side of the room from my PC.

Though swapping an HDD out for a cheaper 32GB SSD could be becoming viable around now.

I think going back to a smaller size wouldn't be ideal, considering the space some games take to install it would be a real hassle, with a 32GB SSD you wouldn't even be able to download a 14GB+ PS3 game because you need twice to space for the installer and the installed game.

I'm pretty sure the SSD tests show that the PS3 doesn't get a massive boost from an SSD anyway sadly, there's some strange limiting factor in it that keeps stuff at a steady rate or something.
But I'm sure someone with more knowledge can correct me.

Achamian

Thats certainly a possibility. I've used many versions since i started using it and none have ever successfully played mkv's for me. I've just downloaded the latest as i was on 1.30.1. Hopefully i'll find it's working as i prefer ps3 media server to tversity. :)

I'm pretty sure the SSD tests show that the PS3 doesn't get a massive boost from an SSD anyway sadly, there's some strange limiting factor in it that keeps stuff at a steady rate or something.
But I'm sure someone with more knowledge can correct me.

Oh sure I meant purely to release a low cost version. There must still be some 20-60GB PS3s out there still.

My OG 60GB PS3 just died recently, so I might consider to wait it out and bite for that price.

Even though I dont play games that much anymore these days, would be cool to have all the functions and gaming option for that price though.

Suairyu

Banned
Tempting news.

My PS3 blu ray drives craps out in hot weather, so the Summer months I rarely get any movie watching done. A replacement would be wonderful.

At the same time, knowing I can use the machine 75% of the time makes me loathe to replace it for any money.

My mate who works at SCEE in Liverpool mentioned a couple of months ago a new PS3 chassis was coming but he didn't (couldn't) say more than that. I don't know if he meant chassis revision as in the slightly different slims we've seen, or whether he meant a "PSthree".

Wonder if this price cut is related? Maybe new chassis reveal at E3?

I'd hold off buying one of these right away, at least until after E3. The last time this happened Sony shipped the Slim PS3s like 2 weeks later. Could be signs of a hardware revision. As crazy as it would be.

Kajiba

This is good, had a feeling this might happen. My brothers ps3 died 2 weeks ago and I told him just to wait for the price drop that might happen at e3 or get the bundle that might come out.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I know a ton of people who would 'dive in' for that price.

Ironically I've heard a lot of 'none console' people talking about buying a PS3 for all it's other functions (BR playback, Lovefilm/Netflix etc) rather than games recently.

Yeah, same with me. My sister is actually thinking of buying it just for a Blu-ray player. She said that she also wants to try out Uncharted and God of War too after what she heard about 'em.

Mind you, I haven't really used my Xbox 360 much since I got a PS3. I went through about 3 Xbox's before I got a PS3. If the PS3 got released earlier and at a lower price point, I'd wager they would have the lead now.

Also, if Sony brings free online gaming to PS4, then I'm already there. Sony's franchises are a bigger draw to me than Halo.

jono51

Banned
I'd hold off buying one of these right away, at least until after E3. The last time this happened Sony shipped the Slim PS3s like 2 weeks later. Could be signs of a hardware revision. As crazy as it would be.

That could be pretty cool to see. i wonder if they'd keep the curved sorta design of the slim or try something different.

DrXym

It's unfortunate but the workaround is to play from a DLNA streamer. I have a Synology NAS whose DLNA software will de/remux mkv on the fly for the PS3. Doesn't help much for subs or alternative audio tracks but it's fine just for playback.

Top Bottom