• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Was the game any good in the end? It could have sold badly even if the Wii U was selling well is the quality isn't up to scratch.

It is one of the top rated games for the platform.

Baconsammy said:
If Mario is talking like this, lose all hope

I've been down on next gen consoles and the retail market for a while which is something to consider. Grain of salt and all that. Am reporting what I am hearing though.

JoeM86

Come on people. It's just after a launch. A launch that bested the 360 and PS3 launches no less.

Sure, it's not amazing and could be much better, but people are less likely to buy a new system at this time. Plus, as it's a new console, and not an established one, of course software sales are going to be down. People are more likely to purchase a game for a console they have than a new console, afterall.

Contrary to belief here, and across the internet, launches are never blazes of glory, selling dozens of millions of games and units in the first few months.

Nintendo has a plan and has shown part of it. It'll turn around.

On a sidenote, it's ridiculous that developers complain about lack of sales and decide to help cure this by canning games. It's the same with the Vita and 3DS (back when the 3DS was in this exact situation).

We'll see a similar pattern at the end of the year, of that I can guarantee

I figured. Nintendo's only going to really be able to get a hand with Japanese studios. This is why they're willing to bring over more Japanese IP on 3DS, and want to do more collaborations. Nintendo is banking on the Japanese game industry for their platforms.

Let's hope that works.

If this is true, then Nintendo is truly doomed. :(

I've been down on next gen consoles and the retail market for a while which is something to consider. Grain of salt and all that. Am reporting what I am hearing though.

I was mainly just joking about:

images

Nintendo had a plan. And they showed it. That plan consisted of 5.5 million Wii Us sold throughout the world by April 1st. Last week that planned dropped by 1.5 million consoles. We don't get to decide the metrics by which the Wii U is measured. Nintendo does. By their own estimation, the Wii U is in trouble.

Mileena

Banned
CoD sold a couple hundred thousand I believe on Wii U. My guess is probably AC III. I understand you can't tell us though. Thanks for the insight.

Doom...

Source?

It would be really strange if it sold 100k+ but the online was still a piss poor 1-3k on at any given time.

Ash_69

As many have already said, Nintendo deserve this for their weak ass system with no games. You could have sympathy for Sega with the dreamcast as they invested heavily in tech and had a slew of awesome games.

Nintendo's profiteering has got to its head. The brand value isn't that good that we'll all buy the system regardless.

Majmun

Come on people. It's just after a launch. A launch that bested the 360 and PS3 launches no less.

Sure, it's not amazing and could be much better, but people are less likely to buy a new system at this time. Plus, as it's a new console, and not an established one, of course software sales are going to be down. People are more likely to purchase a game for a console they have than a new console, afterall.

Contrary to belief here, and across the internet, launches are never blazes of glory, selling dozens of millions of games and units in the first few months.

On a sidenote, it's ridiculous that developers complain about lack of sales and decide to help cure this by canning games. It's the same with the Vita and 3DS (back when the 3DS was in this exact situation).

We'll see a similar pattern at the end of the year, of that I can guarantee

Damn, damage control PERFECTED

Vire

So you don't think PS4/ Nextbox will sell well either?

Meelow

Banned

Banking on Japanese devs and indie devs from everywhere could be good, Japanese games are still a thing and if Nintendo got some big Japanese exclusives it could be good, personally I care more about Japanese support than Western support, I'd be fine if out of the big western support they got Ubisoft/Activision/Possiby Gearbox and a few others.

Rockstar would help.

Nintendo had a plan. And they showed it. That plan consisted of 5.5 million Wii Us sold throughout the world by April 1st. Last week that planned dropped by 1.5 million consoles. We don't get to decide the metrics by which the Wii U is measured. Nintendo does. By their own estimation, the Wii U is in trouble.

More alarming than the lowered projections I think is the fact that they have acknowledged that there is a problem, and I think the Nintendo Direct was clearly an indication that they're going to address it. However, it seems to have had little impact. Not that I think Nintendo Direct should have an immediate, monumental impact, but hardware sales simply continued to drop in Japan, and now there's this Rayman clusterfuck. If that was the start of the "everything's going to be fine" tour, we're not off to a great start. I hope they've got something between now and E3 which was promised to be the big demoing of Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So you don't think PS4/ Nextbox will sell well either?

I don't have much of an opinion on what they might achieve in terms of an install base. But my general opinion is this next console generation is going to fail. The infrastructure for retail sales is crumbling, console platform manufacturers are still wanting to control content and prices too much, and the shift to other platforms (of consumers and dev support) in the meantime has been significant (my reasoning is more nuanced, but those are the big ticket items).

If Mario is talking like this, lose all hope.

lol

Steve Youngblood said:
More alarming than the lowered projections I think is the fact that they have acknowledged that there is a problem, and I think the Nintendo Direct was clearly an indication that they're going to address it. However, it seems to have had little impact. Not that I think Nintendo Direct should have an immediate, monumental impact, but hardware sales simply continued to drop in Japan, and now there's this Rayman clusterfuck. If that was the start of the "everything's going to be fine" tour, we're not off to a great start. I hope they've got something between now and E3 which was promised to be the big demoing of Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash.

Another thing I don't see many people comment on is Nintendo's lack of preparation for ps3/360 scale game development. They should have seen how much the industry got hammered with the transition and tried to prepare earlier, but they didn't. And now they're desperately trying to hire outside help. Meanwhile Sony and MS have 7+ years worth of expertise developing games on this level, so they will be much more efficient this time around. Nintendo used to have a huge edge in software development, but now they look to be playing catch up. Especially when they say the next Smash and Zelda are several years away.

JazzmanZ

Yes the Nintendo is truly doomed, they'll have to cancel all future titles and R&D developments and go third party, because the Wii U is very sluggish in the first half of 2013.

pack it up boys and girls, because theres no possible and rational and logical way Nintendo can rebound from this, just cut off their losses, fire Iwata, Reggie, Miyamoto and Sakurai, put some leading business executives in their seats and they'll be rolling in dough developing quick bucks on iOS.

and hire Brera as CEO.

Vire

I don't have much of an opinion on what they might achieve in terms of an install base. But my general opinion is this next console generation is going to fail. The infrastructure for retail sales is crumbling, console platform manufacturers are still wanting to control content and prices too much, and the shift to other platforms (of consumers and dev support) in the meantime has been significant (my reasoning is more nuanced, but those are the big ticket items).

So basically iPhone's will kill us all? :)

I love iOS so I'm good!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Some of the high rated games were late and bad ports and they were selling to informed consumers. Lets say it was Batman, if the person in marketing predicted sales in the millions they 1. forgot it was a late port 2. didn't know it wasn't going to turn out as badly as it did.

So I assume it couldn't have been one of the late port games because they would have been off their rocker to predict such high sales for games people could buy elsewhere for less. So I'm guessing it was Assassin Creed III.

Nekofrog

Banned
Yes the Nintendo is truly doomed, they'll have to cancel all future titles and R&D developments and go third party, because the Wii U is very sluggish in the first half of 2013.

pack it up boys and girls, because theres no possible and rational and logical way Nintendo can rebound from this, just cut off their losses, fire Iwata, Reggie, Miyamoto and Sakurai, put some leading business executives in their seats and they'll be rolling in dough developing quick bucks on iOS.

and hire Brera as CEO.

sarcasm is contribution, right?

Foffy

Banned

I'm not so sure. If they can create an ecosystem where Japanese games can thrive more easily in the world, they can create a platform that's a hardcore gamers' dream come true. So many games are left in Japan, a lot that people here on GAF care about. Having those games and franchises localized on a Nintendo platform can make it an easier bullet for the core to support, given the aftertaste of the Wii.

That depends on how much Nintendo extends their hand to other Japanese studios, however. The ball is in their court to make their platform enticing to consumers. And it seems consumers don't currently think the platform is a worthwhile investment.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Damn, damage control PERFECTED

Well, he is right about it being right after launch. 2 1/2 months is way too early to make a call. I still think it's too early to count out Vita.

As for the rest of what he said, I guess we'll see.

hatmoza

This is why you release new consoles with more games and -if possible- a couple AAA titles.

This is bad, but it's strongly due to lack of software. Poorly planned release of Wii U. It will recover later this year when more games show up.

sarcasm is contribution, right?

What would life be without a persecution complex? They're all out to get me. All of them.

This is why you release new consoles with more games and -if possible- a couple AAA titles.

This is bad, but it's strongly due to lack of software. Poorly planned release of Wii U. It will recover later this year when more games show up.

They kinda had that at launch with Mario, some big name games that were popular on similar consoles etc. It's the subsequent months that most console makers get incredibly wrong. Does anyone actually believe Sony and Microsoft will be any different? I just think they'll sell better initially (if they can make enough consoles) out of the gate before the lulls begin.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So basically iPhone's will kill us all? :)

Not iPhone specifically, but the business models it allows e.g. digital distribution, software as a service, free to play. PC, web, smartphone and tablet are where the growth is and where consumers are going.

Unless console manufacturers open their platforms up in a similar way by not curating content so aggressively and allowing publishing and pricing control by individual companies they will flounder.

Where the market is at right now, tech specs are irrelevant. Content and access to it is the driving factor for success.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think nintendo needs to relaunch this thing ala ps3.

Bolder look to differentiate it from the wii. YES
Colors...Many of them. YES
Only one model Available. YES
Better Advertising. YES
New name, something like wii u Extreme or Super wii u or wii u Gaming Space, anything. -- Will never happen
$199 YES
Moneyhat exclusives, DLC
BD playback Will never happen
Bundles, lots of them. Mario Kart this holiday

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U.

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".
just insane. It was either Zombi U or COD for sheezy. Probably COD because "millions" and it had the most potential to sell.

Dali

The Wii was lightning striking. A screen on your controller isn't as compelling to users outside of the average gaming demographic (or even the normal gaming segment for that matter, lol) as motion controls were. Wii U will be the Gamecube all over again. If they aren't selling at a loss as is their SoP, Nintendo will make money. Nintendo fans will have their Mario and Zelda they never seem to tire of and everyone else will get a PS4 or Xbox 720.

I'm not so sure. If they can create an ecosystem where Japanese games can thrive more easily in the world, they can create a platform that's a hardcore gamers' dream come true. So many games are left in Japan, a lot that people here on GAF care about. Having those games and franchises localized on a Nintendo platform can make it an easier bullet for the core to support, given the aftertaste of the Wii.

That depends on how much Nintendo extends their hand to other Japanese studios, however. The ball is in their court to make their platform enticing to consumers.

The problem is that we are not the normal games consumer. Look at the top 20 UK games for 2012 for example:

The Top 20 Games of 2012:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Activision
2. FIFA 13 - Electronic Arts
3. Assassin's Creed III - Ubisoft
4. Halo 4 - Microsoft
5. Hitman Absolution - Square Enix
6. Just Dance 4 - Ubisoft
7. Far Cry 3 - Ubisoft
8. FIFA 12 - Electronic Arts
9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Bethesda
10. Borderlands 2 - 2K Games
11. Mass Effect 3 - Electronic Arts
12. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Warner Bros
13. Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Electronic Arts
14. FIFA Street - Electronic Arts
15. Mario & Sonic: London 2012 Olympic Games
16. Skylanders Giants - Activision
17. Battlefield 3 - Electronic Arts
18. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Activision
19. Max Payne 3 - Rockstar
20. Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix

Not exactly alot of Japanese developed games on that list. Nintendo and Sony both need to continue to attract western developer.

Plinko

The good thing is that hopefully MS/Sony see what is needed and load up their launches nicely.

JoeM86

Unless console manufacturers open their platforms up in a similar way by not curating content so aggressively and allowing publishing and pricing control by individual companies they will flounder.

Haven't various developers been saying that Nintendo have been doing this on the eShop for download games?

Seance

Banned
<-------- 2013 -------------> <-------- 2012 --------->
System Share (%) Share (units) Share (%) Share (units)
Xbox 360 38.4% 810K (-50K) 30.9% 860K
PS3 25.8% 545K (-28K) 20.6% 573K
PC 10.8% 228K (-84K) 11.2% 312K
Wii 8.6% 182K (-352K) 19.2% 534K
NDS 6.6% 139K (-170K) 11.1% 309K
3DS 5.3% 112K (-44K) 5.7% 156K
PSV 2.2% 46K (----) ----% ---K
WiiU 1.6% 34K (----) ----% ---K

PSP 0.6% 13K (-18K) 1.1% 31K
PS2 0.1% 2K (-1K) 0.1% 3K

8p10n.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
The problem is that we are not the normal games consumer. Look at the top 20 UK games for 2012 for example:

The Top 20 Games of 2012:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Activision
2. FIFA 13 - Electronic Arts
3. Assassin's Creed III - Ubisoft
4. Halo 4 - Microsoft
5. Hitman Absolution - Square Enix
6. Just Dance 4 - Ubisoft
7. Far Cry 3 - Ubisoft
8. FIFA 12 - Electronic Arts
9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Bethesda
10. Borderlands 2 - 2K Games
11. Mass Effect 3 - Electronic Arts
12. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Warner Bros
13. Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Electronic Arts
14. FIFA Street - Electronic Arts
15. Mario & Sonic: London 2012 Olympic Games
16. Skylanders Giants - Activision
17. Battlefield 3 - Electronic Arts
18. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Activision
19. Max Payne 3 - Rockstar
20. Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix

Not exactly alot of Japanese developed games on that list. Nintendo and Sony both need to continue to attract western developer.

Yep. Pretty much shows that MS/Xbox is in a good position. Out of all of those games, only 1 isn't on the Xbox.

Anything can happen though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Haven't various developers been saying that Nintendo have been doing this on the eShop for download games?

Yep. Nintendo has been surprisingly a leader here by all accounts.

Without the install base though, that doesn't count for much.

A few weeks (got credited on the 19th Jan) back NOE presumebly concerned at why someone who had earned over 30,000 stars (so buys a lot) didn't own a Wii U sent me a survey about the Wii U (they never asked me this about the 3DS, then again such surveys are probably randomly sent). Basically trying to work out why I didn't buy one. It even included the classic question along the lines of: "When you think of Wii U do you think: New controller for Wii".

Now for silliness:

Just think how much worse it would be if the system, were region free...or if Balloon fight played at the correct speed or if the TVii app ever came out? Or worst of all, if they stuck with the marketing company that helped contribute to their previous successes.

Does this include the 500 with the hardware that Zavvi struggled to sell over 96 hours on eBay for £225? Then again thats like 1.5% of all the software...

I just noticed something. Who suffers if it does badly? All I can see is Iwata resigning (remember his how FY2013 will be over ¥100,000,000) and Shelly (head of Nintendo UK once again after spending a decade away in Germany) being sacrificed but to be honest she seemed like a sacrificial lamb in the first place as it felt like 3 months since David Yarnton left and her being put in as head of Nintendo UK.

JoeM86

Yep. Nintendo has been surprisingly a leader here by all accounts.

Without the install base though, that doesn't count for much.

They just have to build that though and, as you know, that takes time.

Shipping 3 million units and selling 2 million in the first two months is not bad at all. As noted earlier, it's better than the others did and just worse than the Wii.

Yeah they dropped their estimates, which were ridiculously high, but it's by no means dire.

I seriously don't see why developers are dropping at such an early juncture.

Vire

Not iPhone specifically, but the business models it allows e.g. digital distribution, software as a service, free to play. PC, web, smartphone and tablet are where the growth is and where consumers are going.

Where the market is at right now, tech specs are irrelevant. Content and access to it is the driving factor for success.

I'm all for digital distribution on consoles, part of the problem is games will be so massive next-gen that unless the hard drive space is absolutely gargantuan it really isn't a viable option. Internet speed is also a limiting factor.

I think we are getting closer with Games on Demand and Playstation Plus, but there needs to be specials like on the App Store or Steam for it to create any sort of excitement. There needs to be incentive to get the digital version over a disc retail product other than convenience.

Even though there has been growth in smart phone, and web browser games there is still plenty of room for big Hollywood AAA releases as evidence of Assassin's Creed's recent sales figures. (13 million units and the game isn't even good).

liger05

Shipping 3 million units and selling 2 million in the first two months is not bad at all. As noted earlier, it's better than the others did and just worse than the Wii.

Yeah they dropped their estimates, which were ridiculously high, but it's by no means dire.

well software sales are not great which doesnt surprise me as they are expensive old ports but if 3rd parties expected higher software sales then you can see whey they are getting spooked as games are not selling.

Foffy

Banned

This stuff costs a lot of a money to make, moreso than previous generations, so I figure companies have a harder time riding the launch waves. What we often attribute as a console lull is something companies have a harder and harder time having to deal with financially each cycle, from the creator of the platform to developers for it. The manufacturer has to swallow a bigger pill while developers have to bleed more money.

At a console launch more than other periods is also when various projects get cancelled. The 360 for example had a ton of Namco projects cancelled, presumably because the company was not happy with the outlook of that system as it launched. Now almost all of their projects go to that platform. I don't believe project cancellations right now are a sign of a deathbed by any means, I figure it's because companies can't financially withstand the tides a new platform has at launch. It's once that ship is sailing that most of the developers start hopping on board, and that was something that happened with DS and PS3, to name other examples.

Top Bottom