• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 5 beta runs at 720p/60FPS, focused on gameplay, not final resolution

Prine

Banned
Persons who think this is going to suddenly jump from 720p 60fps to 900p 60fps over a year are fooling themselves, something has to give. Since Halo5 is going to be a new game on new hardware, they will try to push more effects, use more advanced graphical features and that will task the hardware. People should really turn off the blinders, Halo 2 anniversary runs at a lower resolution than even 900p and that's basically a remaster of an old game, yet, it still dips quite a bit from 60fps in the campaign.

Halo 5 will not be running 2 engines like Anniversary and have MUCH more resource being thrown at it. And we've seen many games jump from 720 to a higher res with a late patch (COD, AC4) a year dev time its more than reasonable to assume things will improve drastically. I cant think of a game that has remained the same/similar visually a year before release....

720p one year from launch in a first party game with fps arenas and mediocre graphics?

Are they having problems with development? It's very worrying, this is not a launch title.
If the multiplayer runs this way I wonder what's the state of the single campaign.

It's very worrying. More worrying if one does not own an xbox one as well.

tfur

Aim for the ground now.

Then when you eventually hit the toilet seat at 900p, everyone will applaud like they just ate dinner in America.

SystemBug

720p one year from launch in a first party game with fps arenas and mediocre graphics?

Are they having problems with development? It's very worrying, this is not a launch title.
If the multiplayer runs this way I wonder what's the state of the single campaign.
One year from launch. Those being key words. Do you even know how game dev woks?

Ishan

Hoping 343 stick to their guns and ensure a flat 60 for mp. If they want to be a "competitive scene" game that's the way to go . Of course sp can be different . I'm not into halo but given their aims 60fps 900p+dynamic seems perfectly fine . I doubt they'll stay at 720p+ givens he extra dev time plus 343s tech expertise

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
60fps is important for Halo. I don't see how this is negated by Halo not being 60fps in the past.

Important for games in general yes. Specifically to Halo? How are we to know as the vast majority have never played Halo at 60fps, yes still enjoyed it.

30 seconds of fun is important to Halo.

60fps is important in general.

So is 1080p+.

vg260

1080p with locked 30fps - absolutely take that over 900p, 60fps.

Ew. Could not disagree more. Double the fluidity of motion that affects anything moving on screen (i.e. the entire image) and response times is far more significant than that incremental resolution upgrade.

PnCIa

How high is the chance that this game will actually reach the proper nextgen resolution and framerate of 1920x1080/60 at the end of the development?

btw, i heavily doubt that the graphics will change dramaticaly, the midship map looks like all the basics are in place. It looks like Halo 4 HD. Or actually not HD...

LordOfChaos

I wonder if single player will have a different resolution than multiplayer. Obviously they're focusing on the 60fps part right now, but I could imagine a slight sacrifice to framerate (not 30fps, but unlocked ~50 or whatever) going towards making single player prettier.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Ew. Could not disagree more. Double the fluidity of motion that affects anything moving on screen (i.e. the entire image) and response times is far more significant than that incremental resolution upgrade.

Def not in a 65 inch TV. Guaranteed of course that at 900p - 60fps is majorly consistent since "locked" is out of the picture. I will take a consistant locked 30fps and a native 1080p resolution for a screen as big as mine.

Jomjom

Banned
It wont be 720p on the final build. That would literally be a dealbreaker for me because 720p does and will give me serious headaches.

I think the game already looks pristine and they're knee deep in dev using placeholders out the wazoo.

This is a beta test. They want feedback on MECHANICS and the feel of 60fps in a next gen Halo.

No doubt by E3, we're going to see some incredible stuff from the game.

But of course, I'm not surprised that this is being turned into a big problem.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
After playing H2:A all I care about is the 60fps. Halo is the game that converted me. If Halo 5 feels this good, I don't care if the resolution is 720p or 900p.

Metfanant

this should have been quite obvious from the initial teaser when they plastered "60fps" all over the video with no mention of resolution...as i did then, i full expect 900/60 final product from H5...and there is nothing wrong with that for the record...

i dont think there is ANY way they reach 1080/60

It wont be 720p on the final build. That would literally be a dealbreaker for me because 720p does and will give me serious headaches.

for clarification...you skipped the entire last console generation, and dont watch much broadcast TV huh?

Part of being a good game is being technically competent, or impressive. Immersion is key to the medium.

Not even close to true. Good games don't have to impress technically at all. There's an entire indie industry moving away from technically impressive graphics as a requirement.

Some people seem to forget that the game is almost a year out from release. They wanted a stable build for the Beta so that people could actually play the damn thing without performance issues. I have full faith in 343i to dramatically boost image resolution for the final game.

All I know is, next month my life will be consumed with Halo 5. It just looks so good to me.

Tapiozona

Banned

So you never played a console game prior to the current generation? You must also not watch cable TV since that comes in at 720. Hell, what did you do before HDTV?

Or are you just being highly over-dramatic? I'm guessing that's the case.

L4nnist3r

Persons who think this is going to suddenly jump from 720p 60fps to 900p 60fps over a year are fooling themselves, something has to give. Since Halo5 is going to be a new game on new hardware, they will try to push more effects, use more advanced graphical features and that will task the hardware. People should really turn off the blinders, Halo 2 anniversary runs at a lower resolution than even 900p and that's basically a remaster of an old game, yet, it still dips quite a bit from 60fps in the campaign.

Yeah and H4 (MCC) looks better then H2 remastered and it runs at 1080p and 60FPs so I wouldn't worry too much.

z2114422

Banned
So many joke post here.
Why bother to leave some nonsense reply if don't care the game at all?

It's a beta one year before game launching. Take a rest.

1080p 30FPS locked or bust.

Maybe for single player.

But are you really even a Halo fan? How many hours are you going to put into this game?

I could see myself doing well over 100.

I have over 200 hours into BF4. 60 fps is a god send. Even though it's only 900p on the PS4, I'm glad they didn't drop to 30 to achieve a higher resolution.

Single player is one thing. A game where you're going to sink a ton of time into? Give me a higher frame rate.

rokkerkory

Maybe for single player.

But are you really even a Halo fan? How many hours are you going to put into this game?

I could see myself doing well over 100.

I have over 200 hours into BF4. 60 fps is a god send. Even though it's only 900p on the PS4, I'm glad they didn't drop to 30 to achieve a higher resolution.

Single player is one thing. A game where you're going to sink a ton of time into? Give me a higher frame rate.

totally agree... i am expecting 900 dynamic res at 60fps locked

Sulik2

Optimization is one of the last parts of game development. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone for a game that is a year out.

molnizzle

Obviously won't be the final resolution, but the frame rate better be locked 60 for me to play a non-native game in 2015.

Top Bottom