• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Rescinds Job Offer to Halo Community Member Over Forum Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
This should be in the OP.

Yep. I mean a lot of stuff surfaced in the hours after the news hit the net. I didn't know most of this until like 1:30 hours ago and if he before just seemed to be an endgy internet asshole , he is now a full on transphobe, bigot and I'm just waiting till they find racist remarks now.

Guy is trash

LNBL

I
Posted his comments on the matter.

Again you aren't reading what I'm saying- or atleast you aren't comprehending it.

Not hiring him is one thing.

Knowing about his comments, telling him that they will hire anyway, and then not hiring him is a different thing entirely.

Seeing some more of the comments he made, it's becoming more and more clear that hiring him would be a bad idea.

So it would have made sense to do the second pass on his social media BEFORE telling him that they were going to hire him despite his comments...

The same thing happened with my football club PSV, they hired an esporter and fired him after people started digging up his tweets from the past. Nothing as bad as this biggot, but it happens. Social media screening etc is a big thing now, but companies fail to do it sometimes.

kliklik

Banned
Please reiterate what "point you were making"

Also, care to inform me of the "Junior stereotype?"

"It's one thing to expose and discuss someone's behaviour and problematic views when they make themselves a public figure. Absolutely. It's another thing to actively try to interfere with their personal life and get them fired. I don't care how terrible the person is. This just makes me uncomfortable to the max. Mock, expose, criticise, but let's not start crusading."

"Some were talking about ensuring he's never hired again. Which I take it involves contacting any company that extends him a job offer and pointing them to this stuff. Like I said, exposing someone who made a public figure of themselves is one thing, and if that has fallout for them, their fault. But people here shouldn't actively try to interfere in his personal life."

"Plus, it goes both ways. People can also take up a personal vendetta and interfere with your life because they disagree with your opinions and think they're immoral and harmful by being 'progressive'. This has happened and people have gotten fired thanks to hateful mobs who aren't happy with their liberal attitudes.

And I was asked for an example of a person who got fired thanks to hateful mobs who weren't happy with their liberal views, so I gave one. The point of that example wasn't a morality lesson in "don't do what she did". It was to back up my claim that people are actively and successfully trying to get liberals fired for expressing their views because they morally disagree with them.

And the point of that is, as I said, this goes both ways. Other people will use the exact same reasoning of 'a few heads on pikes to enforce social norms' to justify what they're doing as you may do when the cause is actually just. So people should *not* try to stalk him on social media to find out what companies have sent him job offers and try to contact those companies to get him fired or not hired. And if they are going to go crusading, they shouldn't use these forums to organise and collect personal information on him.

And the Junior stereotype is making bad posts, not paying attention to context, not reading previous posts in the thread, bad takes, and just generally posting like theyre on gamefaqs.

FZeroRacer

Neo Member
I was OK with defending him if he had just made the single remark about how 'nobody deserves their job' A one-off flippant comment on a forum is certainly not indicative of a culture fit issue or deserves to be fired. I've seen and read about plenty of cases where people pile on Amazon/Microsoft/Google etc only for them to end up there in one way or another even despite recent comments and that comment was tame enough to not be an issue.

The rest of the stuff though? Nah man, you deserve it. Calling out specific employees, insulting them, being a transphobic/homophobic idiot? He was frantically trying to control the narrative and get away from the whole deal knowing that he's a huge bigot and it would affect his career. I'd hope any company would can him the moment they saw everything else.

If you're a bigot, I don't want to work with you.
If I found out a coworker had said these things on a message board I'd be pissed off but I wouldn't advocate for them to lose their job.

Saying it in the workplace? Different story.

Although I suppose this is a hiring decision, not a termination one so I guess I can see 343's perspective too.

It's one thing to expose and discuss someone's behaviour and problematic views when they make themselves a public figure. Absolutely.

It's another thing to actively try to interfere with their personal life and get them fired. I don't care how terrible the person is. This just makes me uncomfortable to the max.

Mock, expose, criticise, but let's not start crusading.

So, here's my problem: mock, expose, criticize... and then what? You've ruled out anything to do with their personal or professional lives. Discussing and exposing people doesn't really do anything unless it's backed up by action at some level.

Eumi

If I found out a coworker had said these things on a message board I'd be pissed off but I wouldn't advocate for them to lose their job.

Saying it in the workplace? Different story.

Although I suppose this is a hiring decision, not a termination one so I guess I can see 343's perspective too.
If someone hates your existence and identity outside the workplace, chances are they will continue to do so in the workplace.

If someone hates your existence and identity outside the workplace, chances are they will continue to do so in the workplace.

That's fair. I'm self aware enough to know that I can't really see that perspective as a straight white male. If someone at work hated my identity it obviously wouldn't have the same impact on me as it would a minority.

kliklik

Banned
So, here's my problem: mock, expose, criticize... and then what? You've ruled out anything to do with their personal or professional lives. Discussing and exposing people doesn't really do anything unless it's backed up by action at some level.

The information is out there, and as another poster said, this has for sure spread around the industry. People know now. And others will find this information when they do google checks on him. He's already lost opportunities where it counts. There's no need to actively start interfering in his life.

What's the stereotype for real members who make bullshit "BOTH SIDES" arguments.
"It goes both ways" and "both sides" are very different things. I'm not saying both sides are equally morally blameworthy. I'm saying engaging in this sets a dangerous precedent, and people could use the exact same logical reasoning to justify bad things, which suggests that it's not a good tack to take, no matter how just the cause.

Cipherr

Funny how being a dick on the internet having real life consequences is a concept that is hard to grasp for some.

It's a life lesson an entire generation has been learning in slow motion. It's wild how you can see them squirming and thrashing against it in real time too.

Head.spawn

It totally depends on what type of person you are. Do you believe an angry mob looking for justification of their POV should be able to dictate the personal and professional life of someone they've never met for any reason? I mean, this guy has said some shitty things worthy of not getting hired specifically at 343 I think for sure, unless they find a way to look past it. Outside of that? That's a muddy territory I won't step into.

Yea taking part in sexist "locker room talk" about female 343 employees is probably not a good look when the head of the studio is a woman. I mean, it never is; but Jesus why can't people just be regular dicks these days? They always have to be sexist/bigoted/political dicks on top of everything.

Hope he finds the studio comprised completely of straight males that is willing to hire him because I would not inflict that on anyone in a workplace.

It's a life lesson an entire generation has been learning in slow motion. It's wild how you can see them squirming and thrashing against it in real time too.

Painful for them but necessary, and a long time coming. But with any luck it will force a modicum of civility online.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
As far as the original story goes, we feel like the thread has run its logical course and at this point what's left is mostly people yelling at each other. See you next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom