• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Rescinds Job Offer to Halo Community Member Over Forum Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does criticism need to be constructive? Did he know that 343i would be reading his posts? He is just venting online.

Do you post impressions of games here thinking developers might read them? Of course not. that would be silly. you post your impressions, your rants, for the forum members... not for some random dev might come in and take notes one day. If they do, they should ignore that post and use other more valid criticisms instead.

at the end of the day, its just a silly thing for him to say. it doesnt mean anything. if they had any sense of humor, they would poke fun at him, embarrass him a little and move on.but they got butthurt and decided a guy they felt worthy of a level designer job was no longer worthy because he once got angry and posted an innocuous post on the internet.

This view seems odd to me. The internet isn't some protected space where people can just let loose and vent whatever vitriolic thoughts that enter their minds without any repercussions.

People really need to understand this. Anything you post, anywhere online, is in the public domain. It's just as public as any public space in the real world.

What you're saying is like complaining that a perspective employer revoked a job offer because he overheard you venting vitriol about his company at a local bar.

This is real life, folks. What we say in public has consequences.

Wireframe

It's definitely fair dismissal. Even moreso if he posted that after applying, which is likely given how recent it is and how drawn out Microsoft's recruitment process is.

If he said those comments after applying then the guy is an idiot for sure. And yeah if he hadn't accepted the offer he had no business selling his place or anything else till the offer was locked down.

Reading hia essay and everything else I assumed he would have been some pissed off Halo fan from Halo 4's launch badmouthing the game.

Reading that comment and then seeing the date of just a few months ago was surprising.

From a culture standpoint I completely understand how and why 343 did this and they are completely justified in doing so. Sucks for him but dont be a dummy and things are usually a lot easier.

Dynasty8

This is a classic example of why people should read the full article before commenting.

I read the title and immediately thought... "Sucks that 343 did this."

After reading the posts, I can't blame them. They were in the right IMHO.

The Internet is a dangerous place people. I've also learned this the hard way, similar thing happened to me where I nearly lost my job...I was young and stupid.

However, I do feel sorry for the guy, but you can't blame 343 for their decision. His post was an insult to the entire team and I would have taken that personally too if I was working for 343.

Exile20

Wow, even the way he talked about Treyarch and EA is going to keep him from working there or anywhere in the games industry now.

Seems he has a knack for backhanded talk about companies.

Tain

both of these are true:

1) it would be cool if losing employment was less of a precarious situation in this country

2) that was a recent comment, and it was weak criticism and reflects on this guy's temperament.

Alienous

Pretty sure we just had a thread on toxicity among gamers in the game industry. Not sure why people are turning on 343 over this. What you post online is important. I am pretty sure most people are just shitting on the corporation without some real context.

But that's exactly it. It seems like a generic, frustrated comment. I don't think the intent was "But seriously, I hope everyone there loses their jobs".

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
after reading the post, seems justified. would not want someone who openly shit talked my company to work there.

Sephzilla

Also, considering the post is only 3 months old, there's a possibility that he may have even posted this while he was in the early stages of getting interviewed/hired by 343. Which adds an extra layer of stupidity to it on that person's part.

Bsigg12

I think it's dumb not to hire someone over a driveby if they work great with you in person and their portfolio kicks ass. But at the same time, man, if you're looking to be hired... maybe don't post anything like that? Surely he was being talked to by July, right? If this was something posted, like... three years ago, then there's no reason for anyone to get mad. But it was posted in July...

I do think that's the determining factor here. We could all dig up dumb shit we have posted in the past but the thing that has caught him in this situation is how recent his comments were. It's one thing to joke about a post from a few years back when he wasn't being considered for a position but to have a candidate saying that as little as 3 months ago is a bit of a red flag.

1 dumb post, probably written in the heat of the moment vs years of dedication and creating quality content

If it was something hateful I could understand their reaction, but deyning him a job over something as petty as this? L O O O O O L, let him say it was dumb, that he's sorry and carry the fuck on.

Besides, it's no secret that the series took a turn for the worse since Halo 4.

This was a post from June 29th, 2017. What reason would he had to say that? Halo 4 and 5 are old at this point. It comes off as a random shitpost.

That's like me going into the Halo OT and posting "343 CAN SUCK A DICK. CAN'T TRUST NONE OF THEM."

MaxiLive

Seems fair enough, 343 can choose who they hire and if someone who has been bad mouthing the company and their staff even if it is "out of passion", "random outburst" you really wouldn't want them working with the same staff they wrote as incompetent.

Life lesson learnt from his part I guess!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The ultimate lesson here is think before you hit the post button.

tumblr_inline_o4s0tnqE0z1ql1nbf_500.gif

CaptainClaw

very petty that 343 used this against him. dude obviously has passion for the franchise and probably would have been an asset.

also, the person who went out of their way to find that post is a piece of shit.

What passion does he have?...he said everyone at 343 don't deserve their job...if 343 isn't making Halo then there's no Halo , sorry Bungie don't make it anymore. And he isn't an asset beacuse his co-workers have to deal with someone that doesn't even respect their worth and would rather them lose their job...possibly affecting the whole team.

Everyones petty and PoS except the guy huh

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
ITT: “opportunity to shit on 343i....lalalala something about details”

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What miserable little shit reported him though, you have to be a grade A shitter to do that.

Aselith

Seems a bit petty on 343's part.

Why? They didn't learn about until after the job was offered and they understandable didn't want seoneone who has a history of showing his ass in public. Criticism would be fine but "no one there deserves their job" is just way over the top so I can understand why they withdrew if he has a history.

But that's exactly it. It seems like a generic, frustrated comment. I don't think the intent was "But seriously, I hope everyone there loses their jobs".
You should still be able to control yourself on the internet.

I mean, in person you'll probabrly never say that, so why would you online?

Peltz

Oh no, someone said something mean about 343! Who cares about his talent and skill right?

And you guys wonder why Halo is in such a poor state. 343 only listens to positive comments and plug their ears for anything bad.
If someone isn't professional, then his talent and skill are of no use to me.

I am flabbergasted by people saying this is petty. Like are you guys real people with real jobs?

Yeah, but there probably isn't anyone in the Halo community who hasn't said rash, negative things about 343. I mean, remember the Master Chief Collection being a garbage fire?

When you're a company with a crappy reputation you can't go putting on airs.

And how is an employer supposed to know that? Why would they take that comment at anything else other than face-value?

FyreWulff

Um, it wasn't over that post. He harassed and internet-stalked multiple Community Cartographers and insinuated some pretty horrible shit about them. He knew what was up because he deleted all his videos where he harassed the CCs constantly as soon as he got his job offer.

LordRaptor

I mean, that screenshot in OP was the one that someone on Reddit linked to with a "Hmmmm" comment, but this is the thread its from and hes made more than one post in it.

Again; if you heard that guy is coming to work with you, how thrilled would you be about that?

Buzzman

Banned
Newsflash: THIS GUY ISN'T ENTITLED TO A JOB AT 343

Are you really expecting 343 to hire someone who insults them? What planet are you living on where that's acceptable behaviour?

Talents

Banned
You haven’t played either, have you?

I played 4 when it was released. First day playing it was fun, then everyone realised how absolutely trash it was including the people I'd played Halo 3 with for 4 and a half years and stopped playing after a week.

I've played 5 round mates houses, and even though I hadn't played for 5 years, I still shit on every person in every game. Usually when games get casualized they're still kind of fun to a degree, somehow 343 managed to fuck that up as well.

Madness

Lol, damn I hope all my posts are seen as genuine critcism because of how much I love the series. I don't think I have ever personally insulted anyone at 343. But who knows.

Reminds me of Gary Whitta editing his Star Wars posts in off-topic once he got Rogue One.

wwm0nkey

Um, it wasn't over that post. He harassed and internet-stalked multiple Community Cartographers and insinuated some pretty horrible shit about them. He knew what was up because he deleted all his videos where he harassed the CCs constantly as soon as he got his job offer.
Yeah again this is what I'm hearing before this even happened

c0Zm1c

I would want to know what he's like in person first (that forum post by itself isn't any proper indication), how well he can work with a team, what he can do etc. He could have been a great asset to the company, especially if his passion for Halo truly does ring true.

Edit:

Okay, that's a lot more revealing!

Quoting for visibility. It wasn't that post. Any chance we could get a Mod edit of the title?

Exile20

What miserable little shit reported him though, you have to be a grade A shitter to do that.

No1 rule, never say anything good or bad about the industry/company you want to or already working in.

Same with my job, we are told to no engage any online conversation about the company even if the person is completely dead wrong.

Sephzilla

Oh really? This adds even more to it

Mung

Maybe a bit of an over reaction, but clearly words and actions have consequences, whether day to day or on the Internet.

jacksnap

Neo Member
I know MultiLockOn personally and he is a hot headed dude. He is a very opinionated individual who butts heads with just about everyone, so it was bound to catch up with him sooner or later.

This is the last person I would want to ship a game with. Absolutely 💯

WELP

Hoo-doo

Banned
Man, no-one on GAF is ever cracking into the industry then, if this is the standard they are held to.
Sure 343 can do whatever they want, but i'd hardly waste talent over a reactionary post like this. The people most passionate about a franchise are often also their greatest critics. Hyperbole or not.

Maybe a bit of an over reaction, but clearly words and actions have consequences, whether day to day or on the Internet.

That's how I feel about it.

Never mind I take it back.

wwm0nkey

Man, no-one on GAF is ever cracking into the industry then, if this is the standard they are held to.
Sure 343 can do whatever they want, but i'd hardly waste talent over a reactionary post like this. The people most passionate about a franchise are often also their greatest critics. Hyperbole or not.
Read up, wasn't just over this

Akai__

I was just about to quote you from the other thread, but I didn't want to drag you into something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom