• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 says the Halo demo was the polished version at the MS show

oldergamer

I was not talking about HW reliability more than as a side note, why are you changing the topic to it? Anyways, MS likely knew of their problems and shopped anyways leading to RROD and the billion dollar recall program.

Alright clarification taken. I wasn't speaking reliability as much as just having hardware issues in general.

It was about HW rushed or finalised late for whatever reason and how it impacts the quality of dev tools and/or launch software quality and both Xbox 360 (you brought it into this and its fast Mac Pro to the final console devkit changed the performance profile quite a bit) and PS3 suffered from it in a different way. Does not matter why they were late to the part or a bit premature to it, it is the effect I was looking at.

XSX seems late/not ready and why is that?

BOTH consoles seem late. Probably similar reasons despite manufacturing starting months ago.

Why and how do they have major bugs and performance issues a few months away from launch (curiously in the XVA domain where they are competing against a competitor’s narrative already? Was XVA finalised late?)? I assume they may hear things a bit before they go all public, have they been tinkering with it for a while longer than Sony and why?
Every console cycle where 3D was prominent has had problems with development kits before the final kits went out. It literally happens every console cycle. I don't think there is any more to this then not having final devkits. Don't also forget MS has cloud devkits that companies are using via Azure. Good enough to develop and test code, but not record a video demo off it seems.

There's you go with the narrative, you hear "performance issue" and "SSD" in the beta devkit, and you chalk this up to XVNA being finalized late? See, it's clear you have bias, as you're jumping to conclusions that suits the narrative you literally just made up. For all we know the beta kits could simply have used off the shelf hardware that doesn't perform to spec, or even heat could affect the performance if the chips used are not created with the same process used for manufacturing (we do know that they had beta kits from late last year). If they have final devkits and there is a hardware issue there, then you can jump to conclusions, but we're talking about non final hardware. We've seen this before. We've already seen reports of beta PS5 devkits overheating.

Did their TFLOPS performance target push them to work longer and harder on the final design thus it being ready later than PS5?
Again you are reaching for something there is no evidence of. drop the narrative and apply the same logic you apply to sony for once.

Last edited:

Mato

Ouch? I was comparing it to some Cyberpunk gameplay earlier and was surprised by how plain Halo looks in comparison.

All these people are probably hating the fact they develop the quintessential shooter with a middle-aged white male protagonist that kills aliens and has a naked blue chick in his pocket. They must be hating every minute and it shows.

+1! The contradiction is astounding isn't it. I expected the new Master Chief to be a woman at least.

nani17

are in a big trouble
giphy.gif

THE CONFUSION.

Honestly why do we have to go through all this again with MS

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
343 must work 9-5 Monday-Friday. Perhaps to make a AAA game you need to destroy your soul and sacrifice your family and want to dig ditches for the rest of your life once the game ships.

Riven326

Banned
I suspect that game was not developed by 343 Industries finally. They are too busy finishing the fight for diversity and who knows what...
Going down the same path as BioWare then, eh? You know, this level of regression and the comparisons of previous entries, oddly enough, also released ten years ago, do remind me of Mass Effect Andromeda.

mass-effect-andromeda.jpg

The reapers were right. The cycle must continue. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

aries_71

Jesus christ. I wish as much effort was put into their game as was made to make their offices LGBTQIA+ friendly.
That place probably stinks. The amount of political bickering and shit they probably have, has undoubtedly scared the talent away. They got too big and had too much time and money. Time to close the studio and put Halo on hiatus.
There are other studios more efficient and effective than them.

If they showed this last November I wouldn't be worried at all. The gameplay looks like it's there, the new guns look cool and overall it "looks" like it has a lot of potential. I was thinking that it could be really cool to squad up with 3 other people if there's some large scale missions where you would be splitting up in 2 groups over a large area to do things in tandem. It could work really well if done right.

But this is 4 months out from launch. I'm guessing it launches in a very sloppy state on all platforms and 343 spends the next year or so fixing the game. The lack of graphical wow factor doesn't worry me that much, it's the fact that they chose this rather bland sequence as the coming out party. It would be like if the first footage we saw of Breath of the Wild was the demo that Aounuma played on the game awards and they said oh ya this comes out in 4 months.

I honestly feel bad for this team. 5 years of development? Yeesh. What the hell happened? The inevitible Jason Schreier article is going to be epic.

longdi

Banned
I think the problem with Halo is Microsoft doesn't really know what to do with it. When they try to advance it like they did with Halo 4 and 5 they receive backlash from the old timers yearning for Halo of old. So they try to make Halo Infinite like the 1st Halo.

Problem is that there are new generations of gamer's in their late teens and 20s that don't have that same affinity for old Halo. Halo is a marque franchise in gaming history. It should always be advancing the state of the art in graphic technology.

I think this is the real issue.
Infinite reminds me of Halo1. Some may find it dated in art and combat design.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Lets say November launch.

4 months away.

2 months for bug fixing, October it goes gold, November they work on Day 1 Patch.

Anyone expecting graphics to change now is kidding themselves.
This is false. This is likely a completely separate game from the actual one.

The actual production code could be further along.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Going down the same path as BioWare then, eh? You know, this level of regression and the comparisons of previous entries, oddly enough, also released ten years ago, do remind me of Mass Effect Andromeda.

mass-effect-andromeda.jpg

The reapers were right. The cycle must continue. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

And I think even the reason is the same: 10 years ago, the main team and expert developers with a long time career; now some secondary staff with programmers who have just finished the school some months ago.

What happened to this game? I want to play this one. It looks next-gen.

"Game engine demonstration"

I wonder what they were running it on?

I mean the final product looks like a massive downgrade compared to this so im wondering what happened.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
And I think even the reason is the same: 10 years ago, the main team and expert developers with a long time career; now some secondary staff with programmers who have just finished the school some months ago.
Yep. If you start with 2010 and go forward, you can see how it's had a more negative effect on the development teams as time progressed and with each new project going from bad to worse. But if notice this trend and bring it to light, you're immediately attacked and called all sorts of lovely names. I imagine working in the game industry today is a lot like working at Google. You just keep your mouth shut and hope things get better. Or you end up like James Damore.

sendit

Dude. Stop being pathetic. I got halo for all gens plus bought halo mcc recently on pc. I got shit load of halo collectors and merchandise.

There's no reason to defend this shit. The event showed mediocre and bland gameplay, huge empty feeling areas that looked scripted and bland. And don't get me started on that fucking gorilla popping around.

It's a disgrace. Bungie should have kept doing halo instead of going independent and make a halo lite mmorpg. 343i with halo and Bungie with mmo halo is the worst of both worlds.

Exactly this. Halo is one of my favorite franchises. Microsoft needs to rip this franchise away from 343i.

Top Bottom