• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i are introducing a digital currency to the Master Chief Collection

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I didn't even say GT7, why are you so insecure already? You are the one bringing GT7 into a Halo thread.
Did I say you said it? Others in the thread have been saying it, and having retard fangirl mental gymnastics over this dumb shit... all like,
Friday Movie GIF

Just covering all the bases in one post.

And reading comprehension must not be your strong suit when the MS symbol goes off in the clouds over Project Gotham... since I wasn't the one to bring GT7 into this thread. Now go getcha self some socks, boi.

Last edited:

tommib

I didn't even say GT7, why are you so insecure already? You are the one bringing GT7 into a Halo thread.
That was me actually but just because of the constant hypocrisy. The GT thread had all the green rats who don’t and never will play GT acting like nuns and clutching their pearls with “MTX very bad”. The same hypocrites who now don’t understand the outrage.

For the record, I don’t give a fuck about MTX. They’re there for who wants to buy them. No one has a fucking gun pointed to their heads to make them spend money on anything.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Did I say you said it? Others in the thread have been saying it, and having retard fangirl mental gymnastics over this dumb shit... all like,
Friday Movie GIF

Just covering all the bases in one post.

And reading comprehension must not be your strong suit when the MS symbol goes off in the clouds over Project Gotham... since I wasn't the one to bring GT7 into this thread. Now go getcha self some socks, boi.
Why are you complaining to me about "others in the thread" and why should I care? If their posts bother you than you are supposed to address them. You still bought GT7 into a conversation where there was not one. You ranted about how MCC has MTX due to Game Pass and failed to provide me examples of successful non-Game Pass multiplayer games that don't have MTX.
That was me actually but just because of the constant hypocrisy. The GT thread had all the green rats who don’t and never will play GT acting like nuns and clutching their pearls with “MTX very bad”. The same hypocrites who now don’t understand the outrage.

For the record, I don’t give a fuck about MTX. They’re there for who wants to buy them. No one has a fucking gun pointed to their heads to make them spend money on anything.
They literally bought Flight Simulator into that thread, definitely not the green rats who did that.

tommib

Why are you complaining to me about "others in the thread" and why should I care? If their posts bother you than you are supposed to address them. You still bought GT7 into a conversation where there was not one. You ranted about how MCC has MTX due to Game Pass and failed to provide me examples of successful non-Game Pass multiplayer games that don't have MTX.

They literally bought Flight Simulator into that thread, definitely not the green rats who did that.
How’s your fanboy energy these days?

The game has been out for nearly 8 years and all the armor sets/color schemes have been available to earn through gameplay accomplishments since then. You can STILL earn everything through gameplay. Some people don't have the time or patience to earn these assets in the normal manner so why shouldn't they be allowed to purchase them with in-game currency if they wanted? Doesn't change anything at all.

Naked Lunch

This is the stuff yall are upset over? 100% (mostly crappy) cosmetics.
Its almost like most have never even played the game. Shocking.
If it leads to even more maps and modes for an 8 year old game (actually 21 year old) - Im thrilled.
HaloMCC_20thAnniversaryContent1.jpg

halo-reach-season-pass-tiers-1024x576.jpg

s2-unlocks-mcc-3c9f7f195a9b4cfabdfcd571fd7b2650-1024x549.jpg

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
If it leads to even more maps and modes for an 8 year old game (actually 21 year old) - Im thrilled.

Nobody is upset over this lol

Dutchy

digging your own grave GIF

MCC already has excellent mod support with literally hundreds, if not thousands of mods already available. To say this gives support maybe for consoles would just be them keeping it artificially locked behind a paywall.

I meant being able to play/host modded lobbies through a seperate custom browser, and maybe even include some mod tools in Forge.

Wasn't it release like 8 years ago? What are they trying to make happen here?

MCC got it's last big content update only a couple of months before Infinite released and it has maintained a very stable population in recent years. Even surpassed infinite in player numbers a couple of times. Could be 343's way of realizing that there's still money to be made in exchange for new content. It's not like they're slapping this shit on an abandoned game (at least i hope not lol).

ZehDon

Gold Member

No, we’re upset that 343i is deliberately NOT fixing the point system in MCC - where they artificially limit the number of points you can earn after a specific level - and is now monetising this problem instead simply removing the limitation. Sticking MTX into games they didn’t even fucking make is a red flag given fucking terrible Infinite’s monetisation systems are.

This latest fuck up simply comes on top of all the other fuck ups - like them botching Halo Infinite. On top of them botching MCC on PC. On top of them botching Halo 5. On top of them botching MCC on consoles. On top of them botching Halo 4.

After ten years of lying, broken promise, and rubbish games, 343i do not get the benefit of the doubt. Everything they say is a lie and everything they propose is wrong until they can demonstrate otherwise.
If you haven’t learned that yet, I simply don’t believe you’ve been playing Halo in the last 10 years.

The game has been out for nearly 8 years and all the armor sets/color schemes have been available to earn through gameplay accomplishments since then. You can STILL earn everything through gameplay. Some people don't have the time or patience to earn these assets in the normal manner so why shouldn't they be allowed to purchase them with in-game currency if they wanted? Doesn't change anything at all.
The people that dont have time or patience are usually casuals who dont play old games. So you are actually wrong here. Stop defending anti consumer moves like this.

The people that dont have time or patience are usually casuals who dont play old games. So you are actually wrong here. Stop defending anti consumer moves like this.
Just because someone doesn't have the time to play 100 multiplayer matches within a timespan of 1 week to unlock a cool helmet doesn't make them a casual. Hell, these days I play less than 10 hours a week because I get burnt out on other aspects of my life. Doesn't make me any less of a "gamer".

Just because someone doesn't have the time to play 100 multiplayer matches within a timespan of 1 week to unlock a cool helmet doesn't make them a casual. Hell, these days I play less than 10 hours a week because I get burnt out on other aspects of my life. Doesn't make me any less of a "gamer".
But how much sense of pride and accomplishment do you have playing video games?

Naked Lunch

No, we’re upset that 343i is deliberately NOT fixing the point system in MCC - where they artificially limit the number of points you can earn after a specific level - and is now monetising this problem instead simply removing the limitation. Sticking MTX into games they didn’t even fucking make is a red flag given fucking terrible Infinite’s monetisation systems are.

This latest fuck up simply comes on top of all the other fuck ups - like them botching Halo Infinite. On top of them botching MCC on PC. On top of them botching Halo 5. On top of them botching MCC on consoles. On top of them botching Halo 4.

After ten years of lying, broken promise, and rubbish games, 343i do not get the benefit of the doubt. Everything they say is a lie and everything they propose is wrong until they can demonstrate otherwise.
If you haven’t learned that yet, I simply don’t believe you’ve been playing Halo in the last 10 years.
I still stand by my point that the unlocks in MCC boil down to grunt backpacks, some knee pads, gronk's soda accessories, and purple shotguns. I mean think about it. Its really not that big of a deal. The unlocks (all of them) have no effect on the actual game whatsoever. And if people are dumb enough to pay for that stuff - so be it. Like I said - in a game that already has over 100 maps - this new system might lead to even more content.

Your points against 343 are highly valid and have much merit. Im not going to argue any of that. As a huge Halo fan, its been frustrating for me without question. Piss poor management and an unacceptable release schedule being my biggest beefs.

Talking strictly gameplay though - for my gaming tastes the Halo core gameplay of guns/grenades/melee is still the only show in town. Its been my favorite skill based fps for 20 years now and still nothing is even close. When I buy a Halo game - I play it for years and years. It doesnt get old to me. To 343's credit in my eyes Halo 5 improved on 4 and then Infinite improved on 5. Infinite finally feels closest to Bungie's greats - it has a long way to go (and it is promised to expand) but I feel its core template is there.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I still stand by my point that the unlocks in MCC boil down to grunt backpacks, some knee pads, gronk's soda accessories, and purple shotguns. I mean think about it. Its really not that big of a deal. The unlocks (all of them) have no effect on the actual game whatsoever. And if people are dumb enough to pay for that stuff - so be it. Like I said - in a game that already has over 100 maps - this new system might lead to even more content.

Your points against 343 are highly valid and have much merit. Im not going to argue any of that. As a huge Halo fan, its been frustrating for me without question. Piss poor management and an unacceptable release schedule being my biggest beefs.

Talking strictly gameplay though - for my gaming tastes the Halo core gameplay of guns/grenades/melee is still the only show in town. Its been my favorite skill based fps for 20 years now and still nothing is even close. When I buy a Halo game - I play it for years and years. It doesnt get old to me. To 343's credit in my eyes Halo 5 improved on 4 and then Infinite improved on 5. Infinite finally feels closest to Bungie's greats - it has a long way to go (and it is promised to expand) but I feel its core template is there.
Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this instance, 343 are leaving the usual free to play and gain content as you will while offering a quick buy option for those that want it. None of it affects actual gameplay and it's mostly definitely NOT pay to win. I can live with that. It's a business after all. As you said if it leads to them to keep releasing maps like the last 2-3 new additions to Halo 3 maps then great. I'm after H2A maps now or something of that ilk.

I totally don't accept anything on face value from 343 anymore. I doubt I ever will after MCC. I still play Halo, just not Infinite.

As for the only show in town, I used to agree with this statement and live by it. Massive Halo fan and it basically eradicated my choice of games. I was totally addicted to my friends and Halo games. These days Apex Legends shits on what Halo has to offer. Networking, population, graphics, animation, sandbox (just not vehicles obviously). If you haven't really dived into Apex I suggest you give it a run with some friends in Duos or Trios, going in with randoms is just as frustrating as Halo with randos. They've basically evolved the Halo sandbox e.g. no rocket launchers, snipers aren't 1HK but massive damage still, free roaming gameplay and none of the spawn camping BS of say MLG of old or shite 343 spawns etc. When you look at the developer made decisions around networking, map design, character traits, weapons etc you'll start to see why pros like Snipedown and more feel Halo has headed in a worse direction under 343.

ZehDon

Gold Member

Just my 2 cents.
I suppose my issue isn't with the proposal - they're proposing changing nothing from it how it all works from today, and simply adding MTX to allow folks to buy stuff - the issue is with who is making that proposal. Everything 343i has ever done has always had a Monkey's Paw twist, and I'm waiting for the penny to drop. I fully expect 343i to re-tune aspects of the MCC to further incentivise MTX spending and break the already fragile balance in its system. In ten years, they haven't earned the right to make Halo games, let alone the right to monetise the games they didn't make.

And on the gameplay front, Halo Infinite is the best 343i has done... because its back to the way Halo played under Bungie, and 343i limited their own bullshit. So, their greatest gameplay achievements so far have been to - literally - undo everything they spent a decade doing. On the back of their blatant incompetence, their best game now faces down a multi-year wait for the developers to actually finish developing it, while the player base has already moved on. MCC regularly has more players than Halo Infinite - hence why they're adding MTX into it. For all intents and purposes, Halo Infinite is basically dead, and they've clearly pinned their hopes on Certain Affinity's Battle Royale mode to resurrect it.

So, until they can prove otherwise, I will continue to presume every proposal from 343i is a bad one and they shouldn't do it. If they want to wash off the stigma of their brand, they'll need to earn it. And Halo Infinite won't be the game to do that, since the best they can achieve now is to simply make it the game it should have been at launch.

Fredrik

You’re really just talking about different sides of hell. Every game that have grinding and a pay-to-not-grind mechanic deserves to be roasted as far as I’m concerned.

Like I said earlier, soon we’ll see a souls game with extreme grinding and purchasable FROM coins to level up faster.

Don’t defend this stuff. Even if you’re a fan.

See what has happened to mobile gaming. There we used to be able to buy full games for $1, sometimes $15, then they started adding annoying ads, pay $3 to remove it, then came free games with locked progression behind paywalls, I remember a shmup where I had to buy the next level after a boss fight, then came crafting waiting time, buy something to craft faster, then came these extreme grinding fests, pay a fortune to get the good stuff.

That’s where we’re heading. Hope you enjoy that if you defend this.

What 343 should do to make grinding less annoying for new gamers is to simply remove the need for grinding. The store is just greed. Give new players years of content for free instead. Make it a starting choice if someone enjoy to grind for years.

Top Bottom