• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Community Manager: The future of MCC is still unknown but the ship hasn't sailed

SpartanN92

Banned
Update to 4K, add Reach, Guardians and Halo 3 Anniversary.

Free upgrade to all Scorpio buyers day 1.

Halo is saved.

Dynasty

Only way they can make it up is if they do all of the following:
Release one big patch that fixes all the bugs in the campaign and the multiplayer.
Release a Halo 3 anniversery taking advantage of the Scorpio and make it free for MCC owners.
Port the MCC collection to PC.

EmiPrime

How do you know this? Inside source? As far as I'm concerned, everyone is responsible.

I said that I am speculating but I think everything that I have posted is pretty self-evident. 343i don't get to pick and choose their release dates nor do they have the final say on if a game is delayed and if they want to spend significant resources fixing up MCC (code that 5 different studios were responsible for) but Microsoft say no, all hands to the pump to get Halo 5 out for Christmas, there is really bugger all they can do. I'm sure 343i have some autonomy but when push comes to shove they're not the ones calling the shots.

It's been two years, the ship has sailed and sunk.
Yup, pretty much.

343i fucked what would have otherwise been a system seller. I know there's the "it was a massive scale project" excuse that gets thrown around but if you can't handle the project, don't undertake it. In any event, 343i made the blunder of the generation and the ship has long since sailed.

Wereroku

I said that I am speculating but I think everything that I have posted is pretty self-evident. 343i don't get to pick and choose their release dates nor do they have the final say on if a game is delayed and if they want to spend significant resources fixing up MCC (code that 5 different studios were responsible for) but Microsoft say no, all hands to the pump to get Halo 5 out for Christmas, there is really bugger all they can do. I'm sure 343i have some autonomy but when push comes to shove they're not the ones calling the shots.

Well I mean if you go by Phil Spencer he said it was 343's decision to release all the games instead of just H2A. So the clusterfuck is on their heads more the Microsoft proper unless you think Phil was lying at the reveal.

Yup, pretty much.

343i fucked what would have otherwise been a system seller. I know there's the "it was a massive scale project" excuse that gets thrown around but if you can't handle the project, don't undertake it. In any event, 343i made the blunder of the generation and the ship has long since sailed.

They had the say on doing the whole collection the big release was originally planned to just be H2A which would have gotten done in plenty of time and in good shape by itself. But I am sure the new community manager will give us all the answers just like Stinkles did.......oh wait.

blakep267

Only way they can make it up is if they do all of the following:
Release one big patch that fixes all the bugs in the campaign and the multiplayer.
Release a Halo 3 anniversery taking advantage of the Scorpio and make it free for MCC owners.
Port the MCC collection to PC.
They're not going to give away halo 3 anniversary away for free ( if they are making it).

psyfi

Banned
This shit is disgraceful no matter how you slice it. I hope they finally follow through. What an awful blemish on the otherwise great status of Halo.

It's been two years, the ship has sailed and sunk.

Maybe they're gearing up for a PC release and are hoping this buys them some goodwill.

It's funny because if they had just released Halo 2 or 3 Anniversary each for $40-60 they could have polished it properly and everyone would be happy.

Wereroku

Maybe they're gearing up for a PC release and are hoping this buys them some goodwill.

It's funny because if they had just released Halo 2 or 3 Anniversary each for $40-60 they could have polished it properly and everyone would be happy.

That was the original plan and then someone at 343 decided to do the entire collection in the same timespan. Also I could see MCC getting a re-release on PC and giving them a reason to spend the money to completely redo the XBO version as well.

LAA

Was actually under the impression it was fixed. Just again, MSs treatment for this "flagship franchise" is appalling. This should have been fixed no questions asked years ago.

I really really hope they add Reach to it. How they added all the Halos except one of the best ones is unreal. (Halo wars is being remaster separately but know that was missing too)

Card Boy

Banned
I still don't understand why multi-mode matchmaking queuing is still not a thing. That would solve alot of the games problems.

Vanadium

I played a couple hours of each game then never went back after all the matchmaking issues. But at least there weren't any warden fights.

Iceternal

I'm sure most of you don't even know, but when playing Halo 1 Anniversary in a different language causes all kinds of graphical glitches. For example, all Covenant shield animations are frozen.

It's never been adressed and only way to fix this is to remove all patches.

Alcibiades

I wonder how XBox fans would have responded to a series of delays that totaled 1-2 years. Nintendo does this all the time with Zelda (where a 2 year delay would not be unexpected) even when they know it is going to cost them holiday sales and marketing.

Microsoft has been dropping the ball ever since Bungie left. The latest drop in the bucket is the Reach port on the Xbox One. It took them forever to fix the framerate and even now the game is still laggy as hell. It'd be a much needed miracle if it found its way into the collection and got a framerate update too.

playXray

How bad are the de-sync issues? I really want to play through the Halo games with a friend who's never played any of them, but we'd be doing it through online co-op. Is the problem mainly restricted to Halo 2? Is it intermittent or is it a proper game-breaking bug?

Microsoft has been dropping the ball ever since Bungie left. The latest drop in the bucket is the Reach port on the Xbox One. It took them forever to fix the framerate and even now the game is still laggy as hell. It'd be a much needed miracle if it found its way into the collection and got a framerate update too.

I'm not sure how BC is related to this like at all.

Head.spawn

Pull off the bubble gum & duct tape and just release each game separate, but as a bundle to those who bought the game already.

EZ.

They should hire me. Amazing ideas.

I'm not sure how BC is related to this like at all.

My post clearly references Microsoft's mishandling of the Halo IP - which includes MCC and the framerate problems in Reach that would most likely be absent if the game were in MCC. I'd rather have seen ODST firefight added to MCC though since that game isn't BC yet.

Singleplayer had its fair share of bugs and glitches (this one being the worst), but yeah, the major issues were concentrated in Multiplayer. Nowadays it has improved dramatically, but I still find it difficult to do simple things like party up with friends.

Hilariously enough my friend and I actually managed to "resync" by pushing each others characters onto the position held by them in the others version of the game. It was not easy!

MCC was the perfect example of pure hype but disappointment in the box. If they can't fix it yet then it will never be fixed. It is a half assed product... super disappointing.

oatmeal

Banned
This was the nail in the Halo coffin for me. I loved Reach an LOATHED 4. The chance to have all of them on one system was such an incredible deal and idea that it failing out of the gate like it did killed Halo for me.

5 being an extension of 4 instead of a return to form has made me completely lose interest in the series.

Thousands of hours put into 2, 3 and Reach. Maybe a dozen in 4, less than that in 5.

343 killed the biggest franchise MS had.

oatmeal

Banned
In many ways it is, it many ways it really really isn't

5 is just 5

It just feels like it. Sticking with Prometheans. The terrible non-organic multiplayer maps (except for in that big warzone mode or whatever).

I actually really like the gameplay too. It feels great but it plays like shit.

They're not going to give away halo 3 anniversary away for free ( if they are making it).

I think they are making it. Halo 6 is probably next year, and they're not going to have a Gears game for release this year, so Halo 3 is probably their big shooter tentpole. Giving it a big visual uptick (maybe 4K?) from the MCC version and making it stable 60fps would probably be acceptable for much of the fanbase. Frank O'Connor also gave me a somewhat cagey answer a while back when discussing a potential H3A, which added fuel to my personal expectation that it's incoming.

Yeah, I agree with this. My guess is that was the original idea, but when the Xbone was struggling in its early days they quickly decided on the whole MCC as a good value proposition, hence its broken state and piecemeal structure.

Rathorial

I think a Scorpio and Windows 10 port would be an excuse to go back, and make improvements + play anywhere + cross-play firefight co-op. There are still people that are big fans of those games, and it would be helpful if they improve the collection of their biggest exclusive franchise.

Falchion

I remember being so excited for this to come out. I was ready to dedicate my gaming life MCC and it just disappointed on nearly ever level. I still can't do online coop without horrible lag for whoever isn't hosting.

I remember being so excited for this to come out. I was ready to dedicate my gaming life MCC and it just disappointed on nearly ever level. I still can't do online coop without horrible lag for whoever isn't hosting.
And yet I beat Halo CE and 3 in coop with no issues.

PillarEN

MCC being a broken mess at launch is the sole reason I don't own a XBone. Was so ready to jump on board and have infinite Halo fun. I haven't played any Halo since like 2012 except for a little run of CE on my old PC at my folks place.

MCC being a broken mess at launch is the sole reason I don't own a XBone. Was so ready to jump on board and have infinite Halo fun. I haven't played any Halo since like 2012 except for a little run of CE on my old PC at my folks place.

Single player is mostly fine. If you're wanting to (re)play the classic campaigns then there's no reason not to jump in.

MP, otoh, is a shit show.

MS knows this and people like Phil Spencer can't be too happy with the idea of *the* flagship Xbox franchise being in such an embarrassing state forever. Which means it'll (probably) get fixed at some point. The question is when and if they'll provide the updated release for free to existing MCC owners or if they'll try to charge everyone again.

I have a feeling some sort of massive update / bug fix will be rolled out as a MCC Scorpio 4k re-release. Fingers crossed it includes a Reach and Halo 3 remaster.

Top Bottom