• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Sunsetting Halo Xbox 360 Game Services in 2021

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Phase One – Fall 2019 
  • One-time migration of over 6M pieces of Halo Xbox 360 Legacy UGC data to Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Phase Two – December 2020 (WE ARE HERE) 
  • Initial notification to players
  • Digital sales of Halo Xbox 360 titles are halted
  • *Halo Xbox 360 DLC can still be acquired at no cost
Phase Three – 2021 
  • Continued messaging and reminders throughout the year across Halo channels
Phase Four – December 2021 *(TBD, no sooner than 1 year from the date of today’s blog) 
  • Halo Xbox 360 legacy services are turned off

12142020_blogtable_xbox360_eol_1120x680-486124b03ff644d9aa93cd30b9f9e44f.jpg

Karunamon

I'll never understand why, in the age of virtual machines and cheap cloud services, that legacy matchmaking can't be left alone for years. It's not like that code is getting updated or requires maintenance. It's also not like matchmaking requires a ton of resources, the actual gameplay is peer-to-peer.

Last edited:

Banned
I'll never understand why, in the age of virtual machines and cheap cloud services, that legacy matchmaking can't be left alone for years. It's not like that code is getting updated or requires maintenance. It's also not like matchmaking requires a ton of resources, the actual gameplay is peer-to-peer.

I don't get it either.
what would have helped is a lobby browser likr Perfect Dark zero has.

that game's online service is still the way it was at launch, and it needs absolute zero maintenance or anything since it's all P2P and lobby based.

if Halo 3, H̵̤̙̯͎̬̅̎̈͑͘ą̴̫̺͈̼̟͐͂͊͂̚ḻ̴̪̲̦̈̂͆̑̃̋̕ȍ̵̮̲̞͔̀̂̿ ̵̘̞̭̅͗͋̽͆̿4̵̡͙͔͖͈̆̂͠ and Reach had something like that to fall back on this wouldn't be a big deal at all.

aries_71

Totally agreed. This is a typical big corporation cost saving crumbs bullshit.

I don't get it either.

that game's online service is still the way it was at launch, and it needs absolute zero maintenance or anything since it's all P2P and lobby based.

if Halo 3, H̵̤̙̯͎̬̅̎̈͑͘ą̴̫̺͈̼̟͐͂͊͂̚ḻ̴̪̲̦̈̂͆̑̃̋̕ȍ̵̮̲̞͔̀̂̿ ̵̘̞̭̅͗͋̽͆̿4̵̡͙͔͖͈̆̂͠ and Reach had something like that to fall back on this wouldn't be a big deal at all.
What's with that?

teezzy

Banned

Theyre forcing these people to engage in the new product

It's not because they cant its because they wont

bender

What time is it?

It's a fair point. I guess the counter from a player perspective is that the hacking scene in x360 is pretty crazy. I went back and played some OG COD4:MW and finding non-hacked matches was a chore. Maybe that's only applicable to COD.

How is MCC these days? Is the online a suitable replacement to the originals?

93xfan

Banned
dang thats crazy. thinking all the way to the release of halo 3... what a ride. so many fun memories. rocket race on sandtrap, custom game puzzle maps, forge shenanigans, racking up splatters on the goose, teabagging BKs and pwning noobs :messenger_tears_of_joy:

im gonna have to get back on there and get in a few more splatters on the goose. valhalla, hopefully

MCC makes it better than ever

Ein Bear

With the MCC being in such a good place, I can't say I'm directly effected, but this still seems weird. I always just assumed the way Xbox Live worked ment that servers could stay up indefinitely. Not sure what makes Halo different, when every other (non-EA) 360 game is still up and running?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't get it either.

Even though they were P2P they used matchmaking servers. Those are being shut down, which means no matchmaking.

MrFunSocks

Banned
With the MCC being in such a good place, I can't say I'm directly effected, but this still seems weird. I always just assumed the way Xbox Live worked ment that servers could stay up indefinitely. Not sure what makes Halo different, when every other (non-EA) 360 game is still up and running?
The 360 and all the online stuff didn’t run on azure, so I’d probably wager that they’re shutting down everything that hasn’t been migrated over to azure. Matchmaking servers for a 15 year old game probably aren’t high on the list of necessary services unfortunately.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean, I understand, but there is zero sense in axing Xbox Live on X360. They just recently made Cloud saves free on X360 and hopefully the scalability of the Xbox Live is enough for X360 to live on. Come on MS don't be pussy.

Kuranghi

Did they ever fix the graphical and AI bugs in Halo CE's legacy graphics mode? I'm not interested in the remaster part of it as I think it looks worse that the original. I mean the PC version.

I think Halo 2:A is lauded as a straight upgrade all round over the original graphics and doesn't have any graphical or AI bugs like CE does so I'm happy with that and Halo 3 seems to not have problems afaik, but I want to play them in order again so waiting for CE to be fixed up first.

Top Bottom