• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

FrankT

derFeef said:
So, is it broke or does it work again?

It says it is shutting down to protect the console, but yet you can turn it back on once the power button stop flashing.

Basically this;

watership said:
That's exactly what I thought. The red dot flashes and the system shuts down due to heat if the vents are blocked.

theultimo

GamerGeorge said:
I don't know if this has been answered yet (this is my first post in this thread), but will GameStop accept two Xbox 360s for $100 each?
Only one can be used for the $100. However, ring up the other as a separate trade in and you should get around $85 for the second 360 ($60+25 rebate).

DeadGzuz

Banned
I just got $215 for my stuff. I think I will Craig's list the 360S for $290. I have too many consoles and have not touched my 360 since Gears 2. I might re-buy one if Kinect takes off and they have a $299 bundle. Good deal Gamestop, thanks for letting unload my RRoD refurb for top dollar!

Master

Banned
Not sure why more people aren't reporting this but the built in wifi doesn't support 5ghz wireless N. Because of this I have to leave my wireless N adapter plugged in free-standing near the system. I still love my new system, but an FYI for people trading in their wireless N adapters.

Jtyettis said:
So you really think that thing sitting in that space just did it on it's own. :lol

I mean I guess it could have, but there is way more than enough space there for that to happen.

Because it's NEVER the products fault but always the users... >_>

Alx

Sentry said:
Wow, these IRL pics make it look so much more like the PS3 fat then I thought. Slick shiny black, silver trimming/lining. Not bad at all respite the ugly shape/edges.

Mmh, I'm not sure I like it. It looks "cheap".
Not that it really matters to me, my consoles are usually hardly visible.

theultimo

phosphor112 said:
I can see him having faulty hardware. But with the amount of space thats there, its seems fine unless it WAS faulty hardware. However, it does not seem widespread and he might be one of the unlucky 2%.

mine for comparison:
AEtYw.jpg

Ok, I thought the HDD was faster on the S unit but I just did a quick test and installed Bad Company 2 to both my new S unit and my Jasper with the 120gig HDD attached. I started the clock when it said "0% complete" and stopped it the second it said "100% complete".

Jasper/120gig: 07:36.18
360 S/250gig: 07:33:79

OldJadedGamer said:
Ok, I thought the HDD was faster on the S unit but I just did a quick test and installed Bad Company 2 to both my new S unit and my Jasper with the 120gig HDD attached. I started the clock when it said "0% complete" and stopped it the second it said "100% complete".

Jasper/120gig: 07:36.18
360 S/250gig: 07:33:79
That's just a test of the speed of the DVD drive, as that is much slower than the hard drives.

StopMakingSense said:
That's just a test of the speed of the DVD drive, as that is much slower than the hard drives.

True, but I installed another game eariler and it seemed to install faster. Guess I was just goofy at the time.

FrankT

The HDD speed is the same as before I believe Anandtech noted;

The new hard drive is a Hitachi HTS545025B9SA00 1.5Gbps SATA hard drive. It spins at 5400RPM and has an 8MB buffer. If you were hoping for a 7200 RPM drive, you’re out of luck.

Anandtech does such great breakdowns.

Anyhow a test that might be worthy is testing the different load times of several games.

phosphor112 said:

No RROD was certainly MS's fault clearly, but that isn't to say people don't do really stupid stuff either. Like placing that thing up against a board stupid. Doesn't matter seems to be an error from previous consoles to simply to protect it from overheating unlike RROD.

Wag

I bought a Arcade Spring Bundle @ Target for $130 yesterday. My unit has a manufactured date of 4/14/10, which is pretty interesting. You'd think that they would have stopped manufacturing the Arcade earlier since the Slim was only 2mos away.

botkiller said:
That's the first image I've seen of it horizontal... and I like it.

/strokes credit card

Edit - That "RRoD" thing shown above is the same as the 2RL (Sectors 1 & 3) error on the original 360 and the flashing red light on the PS3. It's just overheating protection.

Anyone whoever tried to towel their 360 to death / life has seen it. :)

Jtyettis said:

Anandtech does such great breakdowns.

Anyhow a test that might be worthy is testing the different load times of several games.
They spin at the same speed, but the new drive should be slightly faster due to the higher data density. But yeah, you'd have to test them to be sure.

dngbbc.jpg

I had mine running for nearly 10 hours yesterday downloading Arcade games, installing games, and playing a bit of 'Splosion Man just to have played something that day. The top vent seems to be the main vent, so I move the PS2 when I turn on the 360 just to be safe. The right vent going into the Wii feels a bit warm, but not enough to really worry me. The left vent actually felt a bit cool, but I may have been just imagining things.

Chittagong

Gold Member
might not be the right place to ask, but anyone got an idea where (in UK) I could get a screwdriver to open the 360 controller?`

My controller casing is slightly fucked up after dropping too had after a lost MW2 MP match. I figured I could force it together and trade it in with my once RRODd launch console.

Chittagong said:
might not be the right place to ask, but anyone got an idea where (in UK) I could get a screwdriver to open the 360 controller?`

My controller casing is slightly fucked up after dropping too had after a lost MW2 MP match. I figured I could force it together and trade it in with my once RRODd launch console.
If you ever do anything DIY related, you should own one of these... (yes, it has the appropriate bit for the 360 controller)

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...curity-bit-set-with-bit-holder-33-piece.htmlt

...or one of these if you want to go mad:
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/SILVERLINE_98_PCE_SECURITY_BIT_SET-16460-p :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Chittagong said:

eBay or Maplin.

mintylurb

MegaKungFuRadio said:
dngbbc.jpg

I had mine running for nearly 10 hours yesterday downloading Arcade games, installing games, and playing a bit of 'Splosion Man just to have played something that day. The top vent seems to be the main vent, so I move the PS2 when I turn on the 360 just to be safe. The right vent going into the Wii feels a bit warm, but not enough to really worry me. The left vent actually felt a bit cool, but I may have been just imagining things.
I remember reading somewhere that the left vent is inhale vent and top(side when standing) is exhaust vent.

Chittagong said:
Def going for those. I'm trying to find a cheap driver that would work with those bits but have hard time telling which one will work. Any ideas?

Actually... scratch that, I just tried the one I have and the screws at the bottom of the pad are too far in for the bits to work. You're better off going with a driver specifically for the task (ebay).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Torx-T8-Secur...deo_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item3f00513860

As for the bit set (just in case you wanted one in future), you'd just need a standard bit holding driver like this:

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...co-808050s-ratcheting-stubby-screwdriver.html

Manp

Jtyettis said:

usually HDDs get faster as size increase, while using the same number of platters, because of increased data density.

so it's no surprise that a 250GB disc can be faster even if specs (rpm, interface, etc) are pretty much the same.

:)

derFeef

MegaKungFuRadio said:
sexyconsoles.jpg

Sweet setup you have there! Bottom and top vents are probalby for inhale and the one on the "side" is the exhaust one, so get sure to keep esp. this one free.

Best Buy seems to be carrying the hdd migration cable for those of you without usb drives, like me. I went to Gamestop and they were sold out but BB had a ton.

Shanadeus said:
They look frighteningly shiny, could anyone confirm whether or not they are fingerprint magnets?

They are, but after you're done hooking it up, you never have to touch it again. Power on with controller, eject and close tray via the dashboard. You'll never get to hear the dings, but your console will remain clean. That and you can just use your knuckle for the buttons.

I got this info from Gamefaqs so take it with a truck load of salt before I confirm it.

I didn't know this earlier but apparently gamestop will take non working 360s as long as they're not red ringing e.g. the console turning on but getting no picture and little white dots.

The price is severely slashed of course to about 50% of the original trade in value. (So around $30/$40 or so)

I'm going to call my local gamestop to see if it's true. Anything is better than nothing.

Hawk269

Has anyone had any issues with USB drives on the new Slim? I copied game saves and a bunch of other stuff, traded in my old system and when inserting the USB Stick it does not light up and the system does not recognize it. I have the same USB drive that someone posted above and for some reason it does not work. I thought the USB ports were bad, so I plugged my HDDVD to the front port and it worked fine, so I know the USB ports are not bad.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

SilentProtagonist said:
Quick question: are all of the usb ports in the front now? And are there finally 4 usb slots?
Five, I think. Two upfront three in the back.

EDIT: Has anyone traded in a MW2 Edition 360 yet? What value did you get for it?

vg260

Giant Robot said:
IMG_2569.JPG

RDOD (Red Dot Of Death)
:lol :lol

Hm, that's exactly the same amount of space I'm working with. Could be the same cabinet even. The exhaust vent on top of the 360 S is the big glaring thing I don't like about it. With my old 360, I was able to cut a hole on the back cardboard wall of the cabinet exactly in the shape of the back vents and push it back farther so that all the hot air went straight out of the back of the cabinet.

I much prefer keeping my systems in a cabinet if I can. It keeps dust buildup to a minimum. After seeing this it looks like exactly what I feared. This system is designed to be in an open-air shelf. In a space even as roomy as that, the hot air can't escape and builds up.

fernoca

LongDongJunon said:
I got this info from Gamefaqs so take it with a truck load of salt before I confirm it.

I didn't know this earlier but apparently gamestop will take non working 360s as long as they're not red ringing e.g. the console turning on but getting no picture and little white dots.

The price is severely slashed of course to about 50% of the original trade in value. (So around $30/$40 or so)

I'm going to call my local gamestop to see if it's true. Anything is better than nothing.
Gamestop always takes broken consoles and handhelds, with the only exceptions being:
-RROD (in some cases)
-Banned (ones that you can see at startup)
-Hacked (ones that are obvious; like with a different dashboard/menu)

They deduct an amount from the total as it's called a "Refurb Service" which varies from unit to unit. For a broken Wii they take $20 of the amount. They are currently giving $70 for a Wii + $25 bonus (on all 3 main consoles, all versions of the DS and all versions of the PSP except the PSP Go). From the number's I've seen, for the Xbox 360 the fee is $30; and since they are giving $60 per se; it is 50% off...but it depends. In that case it will depend if the total is deducted before the $25 offer or after; since I've seen cases that is deducted after $70 for Wii + $25 bonus - $20 refurb fee = $75 for a broken Wii)

If the offer on your Xbox is applied before you''ll get $70 ($100 for a 360 as logn as it's traded for an 'S' unit - $30 Refurb Service = $70)..if not. You'll get $30 ($60 - $30).

G_Berry

Banned
theultimo said:
I can see him having faulty hardware. But with the amount of space thats there, its seems fine unless it WAS faulty hardware. However, it does not seem widespread and he might be one of the unlucky 2%.

mine for comparison:
AEtYw.jpg
Dude ps3's vent from the top bit you have blocked.

Top Bottom