• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Rainier

BattleMonkey said:
And gut the PS3 in the process to match the Arcade closeout pricing, right.
I don't think continuing to remove features from the PS3 would be too bright a move at this point.

Jay Sosa

Will buy one if my old breaks down, am one of the few lucky guys who owns a quiet one (when playing from HDD) could use the additional 230GB and the WiFi though.

But 299 is a bit too much to buy it day one.

Mrbob said:
Is MS rebooting the 360? Because it looks like the arcade and current premium are being phased out?

299 the new starting point for the next 5 years? :/

I would have imagined that there would have been a bigger deal about the cutting of the prices of the other SKU's, assume this means that the older models are being discontinued.

Rainier said:
I don't think continuing to remove features from the PS3 would be too bright a move at this point.

The 0.5% of users who used Linux are crying

Frostburn

Price is okay, $250 would have been great. Honestly though as someone that spends $300 for a PC videocard every few years I'm not going to balk at the pricepoint. I kind of wish it was matte black as well, this thing will look bad as soon as you finish dustin just like PS3 fat. Size wise I'm liking it and hope the RROD and noise problems are a thing of the past.

Don't know if this was posted yet. I have a source that tells me that the new controllers bundled with the slim will take AA rechargeables batteries, and these batteries will be able to be charged via the controller through microUSB to the console.

All "buttons" are now capacitive touch like the original PS3 eject (except for the wireless sync button).

Pretty sure it was said that the old drives don't work in this revision since it's a new form factor.

Dedicated port for Kinect as on legacy consoles you'll have to use a breakout with usb port/power connection. I will assume that this has been posted

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/4700188445/sizes/o/in/set-72157624274842982/

The AUX port is the dedicated Kinect port.

Also, there is still an external power brick for the slim but it is tiny in comparison to the original.

Sorry if any of this is already posted. Source is definitely reliable so these are all fact.

Rainier

BattleMonkey said:
The 0.5% of users who used Linux are crying

My PS3 doesn't have backwards compatability. :(

Anyone know if the arcade will also come out in black? I might pick one up if so.

burgerdog

I need to find out if you can transfer your current hdd files to the new one asap. Once that's figured out I'm so buying one and getting rid of my elite.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
jecclr2003 said:
It comes down to the games, stupid.
That's a pretty weak argument in my opinion. Especially after this briefing. There's nothing there that I'd recommend to anyone. Only past good titles. Weaksauce all around.

FrankT

Wormdundee said:
Don't know if this was posted yet. I have a source that tells me that the new controllers bundled with the slim will take AA rechargeables batteries, and these batteries will be able to be charged via the console through microUSB.

All "buttons" are now capacitive touch like the original PS3 eject (except for the wireless sync button).

Pretty sure it was said that the old drives don't work in this revision since it's a new form factor.

Dedicated port for Kinect as on legacy consoles you'll have to use a breakout with usb port/power connection. I will assume that this has been posted

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/4700188445/sizes/o/in/set-72157624274842982/

The AUX port is the dedicated Kinect port.

Also, there is still an external power brick for the slim but it is tiny in comparison to the original.

Sorry if any of this is already posted.

Thanks for posting.

From the pics Joystiq just posted, it looks like it does still have an external PSU. At least it's glossy!!!!

edit: I guess that's just the Kinect. I'm browsing images on my home server in a pretty goofy manner so it cutoff part of the image :lol

bathala

Banned
wmat said:
That's a pretty weak argument in my opinion. Especially after this briefing. There's nothing there that I'd recommend to anyone. Only past good titles. Weaksauce all around.
like wat? Killzone, Heavy Rain, God of War 3. oh wait...

pxleyes

Banned
Rainier said:
My PS3 doesn't have backwards compatability. :(

Anyone know if the arcade will also come out in black? I might pick one up if so.
Jesus, people still care if their current gen consoles play decade old games? Go buy the old console for a few bucks and call it a day if you play that many last gen games.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So how does this work with people who want to transfer their content from their old HDDs? I have a 120GB HDD on my current 360 Arcade, but I want to be sure I can transfer the content to the Slim before I buy it.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
yankeehater said:
Damn I bought a new arcade a few weeks ago when my 360 died. I am so pissed now, the slim looks great.

Buying hardware before E3 is never a good thing, you never know what they will announce (price drops, new models, new bundles etc...)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
bathala said:
like wat? Killzone, Heavy Rain, God of War 3. oh wait...
Well, the 360 briefing is over. Let's see what Sony brings to the table, shall we? If they can deliver with some exclusives, I wouldn't put my money on Microsoft for the next 1.5 years.

fixuis

Aaron green burg announced that the current arcades are down to 149 and that they are being discontinued, same goes for the current elites which will be 249 until stock runs out?

entremet

pxleyes said:
Jesus, people still care if their current gen consoles play decade old games? Go buy the old console for a few bucks and call it a day if you play that many last gen games.
Convenience, wireless controllers, and not having tons of console cluttering your media center are some of the few reason why people would want the feature. Sony spoiled us with the PS2.

knitoe

Sniper McBlaze said:
I have a first generation 360. My biggest problem is the noise the system makes. Is the later generation 360s more silent?
Yes. My Jasper is much more quiet than my PS3 fat. Installed games are almost whisper quiet. I can only imagine Slim even more quiet.

FrankT

Domino Theory said:
So how does this work with people who want to transfer their content from their old HDDs? I have a 120GB HDD on my current 360 Arcade, but I want to be sure I can transfer the content to the Slim before I buy it.

Legit question. Needs some answers on some of this stuff MS. HDD in general really.

Oh yea glossy is going to match my 60GB phat PS3 nicely. :D

pr0cs

watership said:
Looks awesome. On a side note, gamers are cynical bastards. The past few days on GAF have been full of pure bile.
nah, just wait until Sony's conference, it will be rose petals and whiskey for everyone, at least on GAF.

Sniper McBlaze said:
I have a first generation 360. My biggest problem is the noise the system makes. Is the later generation 360s more silent?

Slim is much more quiet than the older generation 360s.

Domino Theory said:

My source doesn't know, but I think it's worth assuming that you'll be able to transfer content. They would be insane not to allow it since the HDs aren't compatible.

knitoe said:
Yes. My Jasper is much more quiet than my PS3 fat. Installed games are almost whisper quiet. I can only imagine Slim even more quiet.

Damn... I just might have to upgrade... The noise is so annoying.

pxleyes

Banned
entrement said:
Convenience, wireless controllers, and not having tons of console cluttering your media center are some of the few reason why people would want the feature. Sony spoiled us with the PS2.
Convenience is a small price to pay when you play those games what, once, maybe twice a year?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Controller is slightly different colour scheme, but D-pad looks the same.

4700398833_3b21016880_b.jpg

Domino Theory said:

Yes need to know, got to have my rock band tunes!

Bad_Boy said:
Just curious, are they calling it 360 Slim? Is that in the PR?

No, because they realize how retarded that would be given the fact that the console isn't any slimmer at all. Sony never even referred to the new PS3 SKU as the "slim"

yankeehater said:
Damn I bought a new arcade a few weeks ago when my 360 died. I am so pissed now, the slim looks great.

Same here but I was backed into a corner. Still I shoulda waited. I'm sure gamestop will have some deal to trade and old one in to get half price off but it still hurts.

I like it, will probably pick one up eventually, already have 2 perfectly working 360s though.

I only wish it had a slot drive.

CoG

I thought the point of a slim unit is to pass the savings to the consumer. 250GB drive and WiFi is like an additional $15 in parts. WTF?

Top Bottom