• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

JohngPR said:
I got $195 in trade-in credit for my old system so I paid $100 plus tax for the system.
One Hundred and Ninety Five Dollars for you old system?

Fuck me - EB Games said I would only get $65.00 for an Elite+HD+Controller.

:(

JohngPR

I'm not sure if this has already been answered or not, but Logitech Harmony remotes 100% work with the new system. I have a Harmony 880 and it works just fine without having to redo anything. ;)

Whew.. just got back from Gamestop. I had to deal with an incompetent employee who didn't know anything about the trade-in offer they were having, so I had to wait for him to get his shit together for me to get my 360.

Well, I got it!

GetAttachment.aspx

It's so quiet, I love it. And once you have it in your hands, it definitely is a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures.

skyfinch

Damn you guys for making me jealous. Picked one up. This is SEXY! Pictures don't do it justice.

Regarding the wifi, before I used to be one bar short of full, now it's all the way. Transferring data from my old hd is practically one easy step. The new Xbox even detected the old hd once you hook it up via transfer cable.
Like everyone is saying, the fan does get warm, but that's the only part. And you can feel cool air being pulled from the top of the Xbox (vertical stance). Best of all....quiet!!

Also, read somewhere that there was a new Xbox intro, but it's the same one as before.

DasRaven

Mission accomplished here also. UPS arrived 30m after the open. I was there with 2 others. They got at least 8 units (I helped them open them), sold 4 by the time I left. Someone bought one on sight that didn't even know about them. I got $260 for all my white trade-ins!
Picked up some games and points since I saved so much. Waiting for my next 2 years of Live to arrive from Amazon & Newegg.

I'm game for questions if anyone has any. (So long as I'm not 503 meditating)

Here's one answer for the Harmony remote owners, I didn't even have to reprogram it, it started up fine using the existing activity. So that absolutely confirms IR and even the same IR channel/profile.

Here's another answer, this damn thing IS whisper quiet at idle. I'll report in on gaming from disc and from installed disc soon.

FrankT

jtpa8w.jpg

Another.

DasRaven said:
Here's one for the Harmony remote owners, I didn't even have to reprogram it, it started up fine using the existing activity. So that absolutely confirms IR and even the same IR channel/profile.

Aye confirmed earlier as well.

Ding

buy teh haloz said:
Is the cable for the new powerbrick more flexible than the old one?
Yes. It's slimmer and bendy-er.

NZNova said:
Is there any indication of whether or not the HD-DVD drive will still work with the new 360 / new dash?
Of course it will still work. Why wouldn't it? Also, the new dash hasn't been released yet. That'll hit with Kinect. November-ish.

DasRaven

Hmm, strange. I recovered my gamertag during initial setup and I now have XBLA trials for Kingdom of Keflings, Pinball FX, and Peggle on my new HDD.
I also have Hexic HD full game as well. I've bought HexicHD and Peggle, but both are still on a USB key I haven't plugged in yet.

Might this be a new console bonus?

Alucrid

Banned
DasRaven said:
Hmm, strange. I recovered my gamertag during initial setup and I now have XBLA trials for Kingdom of Keflings, Pinball FX, and Peggle on my new HDD.
I also have Hexic HD full game as well. I've bought HexicHD and Peggle, but both are still on a USB key I haven't plugged in yet.

I got that too but deleted them all. :lol

Was able to get mine at a not so busy Gamestop near me. I got the 4th out of 6. Trade in deal is great, got rid of some of my old crap accessories (like a useless memory unit, etc.) only paid ~100 bucks. Looks cool, haven't done much yet, but it seems quiet enough and the wireless seemed solid when I was downloading a couple of things.

Double D

Got it from Best Buy at lunch and hooked it up. I'm going out of town and won't be back til Sunday so I won't really be able to mess with it til then.

One thing I will say though; I don't what's up with this controller, or if it's because I've been using my launch controller for the last 5 years (!), but it feels and looks fantastic.

Also, this is not as wife-proof as I thought it would be. She pretty much called me out on it being the same exact machine as I already had :lol. I thought I had her fooled that it was something completely different.

Nif said:
Sold out at all the Gamestops I tried in Baton Rouge :( They said the next shipment was July 14? -_-

Same here in Portland, OR ... but I'm going to just reserve one in the next shipment. I have a 20Gb that just sits in a box and there's no way I'll get $130 for it with the prices dropping so I might as well use it and reserve a new one. I'll just play my 120Gb Elite until it arrives.

Anticitizen One said:
If the USB cover on the front of the 360 is missing will Gamestop still take it back?

Also, how frequently does Gamestop get shipments of 360 slims?

The shipment times vary. Apparently next friday is when my gamestop is getting more in.

theultimo

skyfinch said:
Like everyone is saying, the fan does get warm, but that's the only part. And you can feel cool air being pulled from the top of the Xbox (vertical stance). Best of all....quiet!!

The side gets MUCH hotter though, kind of a tradeoff. I had CD's by my old 360 there, I had to move them in fear of melting.

Playing Disc game, its not as quiet as my Fat PS3, but it is quiet. Its more like playing a cd on a computer.

Quick question because I'll need to do this fast.

Oddly enough, one of the Gamestops I mentioned before, the one that was making a waiting list and offered me #27 (which I took for no real reason) called to let me know that pretty much everyone couldn't come up with the jack to buy it this soon and that if I wanted the last one they had, they would hold it for me until 7.

I get off at 5, so I will need to get home and get the thing boxed up.

So not so quickly to the quick question - XBox gamesaves are not that big. I have a plain jane USB memory stick, about 8 GB. Will I be able to hop on real quick and move a few saves over, and then be able to put those saves onto the new XBox and have the new XBox accept them? I dont really care about the DLC or Arcade games as Im never not online and I can redownload all those.

Fucking score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I traded in my secondary system from home that I was just using as a media extender in the other room and a bunch of wireless controllers and stuff I've picked up on the cheap years ago that I never use like the wifi adapter (I have my systems hardwired) and got....................... $298 in credit!!!!!

I'm stoked. Walked out paying only $10.08 including tax for the new S unit. Got rid of my old non-HDMI semi launch unit. What a steal! Oh, and btw they sold 5 other S units while I was still in the store.

DasRaven

Be aware folks, the touch sensitive power button IS.
I've turned the damn thing off twice now plugging in USB drives and joysticks.

skyfinch

Fucking A!! Ever since Xbox got the option to install games, I haven't been able to get PGR3 installed. It kept giving me an error. Gave it a shot with the new Xbox.....IT WORKS!! Crazy shit.

Hawk269

kazuo said:
Not necessarily true.

I have a friend who works at Best Buy and we checked all of the Best Buy stores in Northern California (Bay Area) and while every store has around 25-50 on order, none of them are actually in-transit.

They usually arrive on their regular shipments, which they don't get on weekends. Which means they won't have any until monday at the earliest, unless Best Buy decides to UPS 25-50 Xboxes (unlikely).

YMMV. Call the store and ask before you head out.

The "in transit" in Best Buys systems refers to them receiving them as part of the normal truck delivery from the warehouse. It DOES NOT indicate if items are in-transit from Fed Ex/UPS etc.

Regardless, Best Buy has them NOW. I live in Central California and all of them have them as of 11:00am. In fact they did ship them UPS and my local store had 40 units as of 11:00am. I walked into the store at around 11:15 and they already were stacked on the floor in the main walkway.

see5harp

Most of the saves you can copy using a regular ole 2 gig flash stick. The problem I had was that for whatever reason, Mass Effect 2 saves wouldn't copy. I've also lost or thrown away my transfer cable (DOH). I'm know debating on whether I should just sell the 120 to gamestop for $40 or a friend for a little more and just redownloading everything and saying screw it to the saves I couldn't grab with a USB stick.

O yea...I was the 6th guy in line and the last to get a slim. I think mostly every Gamestop in the Sacramento area is now sold out.

JohngPR

Devin Olsen said:
One Hundred and Ninety Five Dollars for you old system?

Fuck me - EB Games said I would only get $65.00 for an Elite+HD+Controller.

:(

Really? They lied to you. :-\

Did you already get a new console?

Zeliard

Anyone know if Gamestop will accept both a 20 gig and 120 gig hard drive, for a total of $70, or can you just trade one of them in?

Sean

Banned
TheApatheticOne said:
So not so quickly to the quick question - XBox gamesaves are not that big. I have a plain jane USB memory stick, about 8 GB. Will I be able to hop on real quick and move a few saves over, and then be able to put those saves onto the new XBox and have the new XBox accept them? I dont really care about the DLC or Arcade games as Im never not online and I can redownload all those.

Yep, this is what I did. Stick your USB stick in and format it, go to the Memory section and press Y or something and you can transfer your entire HDD to the USB stick at once (if it will fit). You can select or deselect things from that screen too. It's extremely fast and I'm 99% sure it even moved the handful of 'locked'/unmovable game saves like Viva Pinata for example.

Zeliard said:
Anyone know if Gamestop will accept both a 20 gig and 120 gig hard drive, or can you just trade one of them in?

They will take both. I traded in a 20gig and 120gig hard drive with no problems. The only thing they don't accept is the XBL mics.

theultimo said:
Err, wow the eject "ding" noise is annoying.

I'm trying to get a sound recording for the disc tray.
I think they did it because of the capacitive button. They don't want people repeatedly pressing it thinking the first press didn't register.

That being said they should have included a volume control for it in the dashboard.

ymmv

Banned
Jtyettis said:

The new 360 looks shiny, ugly and garish compared to the other 3 consoles. I like the old 360 model a lot better because the design is functional and sober. Apart from that, it's not really slim, is it? It looks even more like a box than its predecessor.

see5harp said:
Most of the saves you can copy using a regular ole 2 gig flash stick. The problem I had was that for whatever reason, Mass Effect 2 saves wouldn't copy. I've also lost or thrown away my transfer cable (DOH). I'm know debating on whether I should just sell the 120 to gamestop for $40 or a friend for a little more and just redownloading everything and saying screw it to the saves I couldn't grab with a USB stick.

O yea...I was the 6th guy in line and the last to get a slim. I think mostly every Gamestop in the Sacramento area is now sold out.
try using the MOVE option (instead of copy) and also make sure your profile is on the usb stick too

bill0527

DasRaven said:

I think all of that stuff is standard pre-loaded on larger hard drives.

I got the special edition Modern Warfare bundle with 250gb HDD last fall and it had all that shit, plus a lot of videos and other goodies already on the hard drive.

Hawk269

For those having trouble finding units at Gamestop and you do not require trade-in, most Best Buys now have them. I checked from my brother in Southern California and every store near him (12 stores) show it is now available and the good news is they received a pretty good shot of them. So...if you have a hard-on to get this thing now, best buy is your best bet..again unless you need to trade in stuff to off-set the cost.

Kingbrave

I got an Arcade unit last week from Gamestop. Will they match the price if I take the receipt back? It's no big deal, but it would be nice way to get a game or so if they gave me the reduced price.

I just heard about the trade in deal at Gamestop and I was wondering if you need to trade in a 360 to get the other prices? I have an extra HDD, and some extra controllers that I wouldn't mind trading in to get like a $100 credit without the need of trading in my old 360 which I want to keep for historical purposes.

Kingbrave said:
I got an Arcade unit last week from Gamestop. Will they match the price if I take the receipt back? It's no big deal, but it would be nice way to get a game or so if they gave me the reduced price.

Call said gamestop and ask?

Ugh, sorry for crappy camera phone.

5nkeg9.jpg

VERY quiet. The one big fan turns slowly and easily pushes the heat out the "top", probably even more so when horizontal like this. Both sections of the power cable are very soft and flexible.

DasRaven

I'm installing FM3 right now and can say, unequivocally, that the new unit is considerably quieter spinning a disc than a Jasper at idle..
We'll see how close to silence it is while playing something from XBLA or installed shortly.

kaskade

Beer Monkey said:
Ugh, sorry for crappy camera phone.

VERY quiet. The one big fan turns slowly and easily pushes the heat out the "top", probably even more so when horizontal like this. Both sections of the power cable are very soft and flexible.

Thank you ms. The cables for the original seemed like they were meant to power a space shuttle or something. I didn't mind it before but with my new setup it was a pain. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Got mine.

Clerk rang everything up and I owed $71 (system + wireless adaptor + 5 games). I pointed out that the system didn't give me the 100 for the system, he explained it was due to the games promo (apparently only one promo at a time can be applied). So he voided it out, and we restarted.

Traded in 5 games first. Came out to $100 due to promo, put it on edge card.

Traded in the hardware stuff. Got the $100 this time + he added the $25 hardware bonus. Adding in the wireless adaptor and headset + the above credit, I paid $28. Much better.

And I can confirm that Best Buys in Austin, Tx started getting them this morning. Coworker ordered off the site and went with me at lunch to get his with mine.

kaskade

I just did the Best Buy in store pickup so I don't have to rush there(going to see Toy Story Triple tonight). Now i'm just hoping I get the confirmation email that they did in fact have it.

Top Bottom