• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Forbiden

Went to a Best Buy that was supposed to have it and they said they wouldn't be receiving them until Monday. After that I tried two gamestops, first one was sold out and the second one had only one left, so I was lucky to grab their last system :D

Kolgar

She's a sexy beast.

Very quiet. Such a relief after the constant asthmatic wheeze of my just-traded-in Elite.

I'm installing a bunch of games now and it's sooo nice.

Sure, the top gets hot (side, since I'm now setting mine vertically for the first time), but I was one of the first to complain that the slim PS3s get hot as griddles, too.

It's been a long time since I bought a new controller, but I've noticed the pack-in one feels smooth and the D-pad seems improved over the others I own.

Also, how 'bout that high-tech "ding" when you touch the disc-eject button, eh? :D

Loving this machine!

TheApatheticOne said:
So not so quickly to the quick question - XBox gamesaves are not that big. I have a plain jane USB memory stick, about 8 GB. Will I be able to hop on real quick and move a few saves over, and then be able to put those saves onto the new XBox and have the new XBox accept them? I dont really care about the DLC or Arcade games as Im never not online and I can redownload all those.
You can move saves across fully really easily, just look for Device Options or something when it's showing the selection between HDD and USB drive. Everything on the drive is auto-selected and you can run through everything individually really quickly if you wanna de-select. It's so much easier to do it this way instead of the old one at a time shit.

Anyways, apparantly all the GS here got theirs yesterday and promptly sold out. Oh well, I'm third in line for whenever the fuck they restock.

theultimo

Guts Of Thor said:
Anyone know where one could get a transfer cable?
Some Gamestops will sell them separately, otherwise, it does come with the upgrade HD.

I'm think after the clearout of the old stock, maybe the 120GB will be the arcade, the 250 Premium, and maybe a 500GB will be coming for Halo:reach?

So does anyone know if you can trade in controllers for $25 and the hard drive for $20 without needing to trade in the 360 system? Or do you only get those prices with the system?

Garryk

Picked mine up this afternoon. My Gamestop said that they were letting people reserve them if they are out of stock so I guess it just depends on the manager.

I already ordered my 360 S Console from Newegg, but if i give Gamestop my Elite, 250G HD, Wireless N Network Adapter, and Edge Card, will that still net me 210 dollars store credit? If so, then that is just as good as selling it on Ebay. I will just use it on games. Do you have to give them one controller with the console?

Edit: NM, i just saw that this credit is only good towards the 360 S Console.

I GOT MINE.

It's so beautiful and quiet.

I paid something like 130 after trading in my Pro (pre-HDMI) and two controllers. I had a gift card with $60 bucks left on it from me taking advantage of selling back some crap games I don't play during their 50%+ trade in deal.

Setting everything up now. They said I can bring back the transfer wire for a refund when I'm done since it counts as a new item.

It's so awesome I am in the love.

Jtyettis said:
Well that's kind of interesting since there hasn't been a peep on that from MS and especially so since you would think this thing would have popped up at other retailers and online.
What's more interesting is that it's $279.99 after tax. That doesn't come close to making sense.

kazuo

Anticitizen One said:
If the USB cover on the front of the 360 is missing will Gamestop still take it back?

Also, how frequently does Gamestop get shipments of 360 slims?

Traded mine in without the cover. They didn't care.

Shit, they didn't even bother to test the system LOL.

Got mine a couple hours ago. They had started doing trade-ins and reserving the consoles prior to delivery as soon as they opened.

By the time I left the store (around 1PM), there were a good 10-15 people behind me in line, all waiting to get the console. LOL.

I got around $150 after trading in the console, a third-party VGA cable, 20GB HDD and Street Fighter IV.

Haven't gotten around to testing it yet (watching footie and going to work out first) but I immediately noticed it is far lighter, noticeably smaller and much sleeker-looking.

Kudos MS. And Kudos to a big fella I know at MS who was a part of the design of the new Xbox 360! :D

kazuo

Hawk269 said:
The "in transit" in Best Buys systems refers to them receiving them as part of the normal truck delivery from the warehouse. It DOES NOT indicate if items are in-transit from Fed Ex/UPS etc.

Regardless, Best Buy has them NOW. I live in Central California and all of them have them as of 11:00am. In fact they did ship them UPS and my local store had 40 units as of 11:00am. I walked into the store at around 11:15 and they already were stacked on the floor in the main walkway.

Welp, like I said. "Unless they send 'em by UPS," which they apparently did. Thanks for the heads-up, trying to pick up a second one for a friend. Going now once I call to confirm they have them!

skyfinch

Not a fan of those touch sensitive buttons. I was installing a game, went to plug in a usb drive and accidentally turned the machine off. The install was corrupt and I had to reinstall. :lol

skyfinch said:
Not a fan of those touch sensitive buttons. I was installing a game, went to plug in a usb drive and accidentally turned the machine off. The install was corrupt and I had to reinstall. :lol

I love the touch buttons and the sounds. I didn't even read about that, pleasant surprise.

MikeE21286 said:
Either that or pay $20 for 130 gb I will never use.

It's a classic up-sell

I've already had 120gig on my 360 for months if not over a year now and barely fill up even half of it. Now that I have 250, I can never... ever see myself filling it up this gen. Even if I installed every single game I own. 120 is the sweet spot and anything over is just overkill IMO.

So this is weird. On my new slim, Modern Warfare 2 gameplay is bigger than my tv screen, as in the map and corners are cut off. I changed my resolution manually and had it auto optimize and it still happens. It doesn't happen in Blur, or in any menus. Not even the MW2 menus. But the gameplay.

wtf?

Nif

Found one. :) Got $150 off with my old stuff. I would've gotten more, but I'd cracked open the shell around my component cables to get optical to work with HDMI, I didn't have the rechargeable cable for one of my controllers, and I forgot my memory card. Oh well, still a good deal. Amazed at how quiet games off the disc are. I thought idle noise would be a bit quieter, though. There was that usual buzzing, but a bit softer and at a higher pitch. After being on a while I've either gotten used to it or it sounds as quiet, if not moreso, than my last box (which wasn't very loud).

I mostly wanted to get rid of my old 360 since it was a pre falcon hdmi and its warranty was almost up. Good deal. :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
jonnybryce said:
So this is weird. On my new slim, Modern Warfare 2 gameplay is bigger than my tv screen, as in the map and corners are cut off. I changed my resolution manually and had it auto optimize and it still happens. It doesn't happen in Blur, or in any menus. Not even the MW2 menus. But the gameplay.

wtf?
MW2 lets you alter the HUD size, it's probably just set too big.

NameGenerated said:
MW2 lets you alter the HUD size, it's probably just set too big.

Oh, I didn't know about that. Thanks a ton, I'll check that out.

edit: Yep, those arrows were wayyyyyyyyyy off. Thanks again, made me sad at slim but now it's pure awesome again.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Beer Monkey said:
Ugh, sorry for crappy camera phone.

5nkeg9.jpg

VERY quiet. The one big fan turns slowly and easily pushes the heat out the "top", probably even more so when horizontal like this. Both sections of the power cable are very soft and flexible.

Now you just got to get a black wii and your all set and matching (i'm getting a black wii when the new Zelda comes out, till then I gave my white one to my mom)

DasRaven

Well it isn't all wine and roses in my world now. Something in the migration process crunched my Forza 3 savegame and now I've basically lost everything (including 4 unicorns!).
I have hope that I can get them to resend them as I've won them all from T10's spy shot contests.

Yet another "christ this thing is silent" report. I'm doing the transfer from my 120 gig (not sure if this was covered but it doesn't move installs, so I get to redo that) and any competing noise is enough to completely drown the thing out.

Thank the space pope that this came out because RDR was making some unpleasant artifacting appear on the screen and the drive was already weak and on its way out.

Also, the Gamestop I went to didn't do anything to test the 360. They just took the bits. I can trade in my 120gb hdd for upgrade price if I bring it in with the receipt for the new xbox. Not sure how much the 120 goes for normally, but the 20gig would have netted me $10 prior to the deal.

Lothars

OldJadedGamer said:
I've already had 120gig on my 360 for months if not over a year now and barely fill up even half of it. Now that I have 250, I can never... ever see myself filling it up this gen. Even if I installed every single game I own. 120 is the sweet spot and anything over is just overkill IMO.

I disagree I have filled up my 120 GB with only 1 game installed and I am sure I can easily fill a 250 GB but at least 250 I would have decent space.

NIGHT-

Pagusas said:
Now you just got to get a black wii and your all set and matching (i'm getting a black wii when the new Zelda comes out, till then I gave my white one to my mom)

If Nintendo allowed you to transfer your VC content I would get a black Wii in a heart beat

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Of All Trades said:
Yet another "christ this thing is silent" report. I'm doing the transfer from my 120 gig (not sure if this was covered but it doesn't move installs, so I get to redo that) and any competing noise is enough to completely drown the thing out.

Thank the space pope that this came out because RDR was making some unpleasant artifacting appear on the screen and the drive was already weak and on its way out.

Also, the Gamestop I went to didn't do anything to test the 360. They just took the bits. I can trade in my 120gb hdd for upgrade price if I bring it in with the receipt for the new xbox. Not sure how much the 120 goes for normally, but the 20gig would have netted me $10 prior to the deal.
That's good to know, hopefully my Gamestop will let me do that.

MoxManiac

Hey guys, didn;t want to make a new thread. I just got a 360, aren't i supposed to get a month free trial of gold for signing up with xbox live? I'm at the screen where you pick a plan. If I select "I don't want a gold membership" will they offer me the free one month?

MoxManiac said:
Hey guys, didn;t want to make a new thread. I just got a 360, aren't i supposed to get a month free trial of gold for signing up with xbox live? I'm at the screen where you pick a plan. If I select "I don't want a gold membership" will they offer me the free one month?

Just making new gold account gives you a free month automatically.

Ding

Son of Godzilla said:
What's more interesting is that it's $279.99 after tax. That doesn't come close to making sense.
Eh... Most people won't need all that extra space. (60GB is quite adequate, IMO, and 120GB is ample.) 20 bucks is 20 bucks...

Son of Godzilla said:
You can move saves across fully really easily, just look for Device Options or something when it's showing the selection between HDD and USB drive. Everything on the drive is auto-selected and you can run through everything individually really quickly if you wanna de-select. It's so much easier to do it this way instead of the old one at a time shit.
I believe that option is only enabled when the "destination" device is big enough to hold the entire contents of the "source" device. Annoying. When I was moving 12GB of stuff via an 8GB stick, I had to individually select stuff for the first "load". Once I got the hard drive emptied enough, I was able to do the second load in one fell swoop.

Pro Tip: Move big stuff first. Use device mode to move all the little shit afterwards.

Also, I think that device-mode will move files that can't be moved by selecting them individually. (Stuff like save files owned by profiles that aren't currently logged in.)

DeVeAn

I just got mine and boy its really is whisper quiet. Go ahead and upgrade if your on the fence. Its totally worth it. Looks great next to my 60GB PS3 too!

Top Bottom