• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Speaking of the EDGE card... because I was trading in so much stuff they offered it to me to get another 10% off. Turns out, I got 20 bucks off by using it and the EDGE card and the card only cost me $15 bucks. So they paid me $5 to and gave me a year of Game Informer for free.

Kolgar

I think a 250GB HD is a godsend on 360.

With a 120, I was constantly fighting to keep more than 20GB clear as I have a whole stable of games I play regularly--from Gears and other online shooters to sports games and fighters. Now, it's like, NO WORRIES.

And again, the quiet of the system is like salve on my soul afterto the grindy whine of the bearings in those twin fans on my former Elite.

Very glad for the Gamestop trade-in deal. Made my upgrade well worth it!

OldJadedGamer said:
Speaking of the EDGE card... because I was trading in so much stuff they offered it to me to get another 10% off. Turns out, I got 20 bucks off by using it and the EDGE card and the card only cost me $15 bucks. So they paid me $5 to and gave me a year of Game Informer for free.

Did the edge card stack with the promo trade in? Looks like the didn't apply mine if thats the case...

Cheech

The slim is awesome, yes. I can't believe how quiet it is, it's about as quiet as my Wii, and the PS3 sounds like a freight train by comparison.

That said, I am concerned for Gamestop. They could build a Great Pyramid of shitty old 360s after the next couple weeks. :lol

th3dude

Just called my local Gamestop. They only received 6 of these today, which all were gone quick obviously.

Next shipment not until July 9. Trade in offer ends July 11. So lame that they offer the trade in but not towards preorders. Of course he wanted me to preorder anyway though.

May try to sell on ebay or here instead and order from Amazon. Not sure what else to do.

Klocker

I set my router to G/N and then to ONLY N and the Xbox connected in G mode on the GN and not at all in the N mode?

any ideas plz?

theultimo

Klocker said:
I set my router to G/N and then to ONLY N and the Xbox connected in G mode on the GN and not at all in the N mode?

any ideas plz?
Is it too far away to get a stable N signal? If your router N capable?

Just had some time with my new Slim and it's actually nice. I didn't install any of my games on the HD yet but I did play some ME2 and it played like a dream. No loud fans kicking on and the system stayed cool the whole time. I'm impressed with this new console and I hope that it's more durable than the model before it.

MikeE21286 said:
pacifism

:drool

edit: BTW, quick question. What are we looking at in terms of dust-magnet/fingerprints, etc.? PS3-fat levels?

Prettymuch the same level. The plastic is very smooth and reflective and easily catches fingerprints and dust.

It looks very nice next to the ps3 slim. Both systems are amazingly quiet. It sucks knowing the next gen of hardware will likely be loud and power hungry, and we'll start the whole shrinking/power consumption process all over again.. I dislike noisy fans.

Kerm 1

Klocker said:
yes N able (but in 2.4GHZ) and it's less than 35 feet on different floor...

The final 802.11N standard requires that you run WPA2-AES security encryption in order to achieve wireless N connectivity. Keep in mind that if you connect any legacy devices (B,G) to the same radio band, you will automatically default to mixed mode which in most cases disables 802.11N.

Klocker

Kerm 1 said:
The final 802.11N standard requires that you run WPA2-AES security encryption in order to achieve wireless N connectivity. Keep in mind that if you connect any legacy devices (B,G) to the same radio band, you will automatically default to mixed mode which in most cases disables 802.11N.

thanks for the AES mode tip.. crap to the degradation to G. :/

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Nif said:
Sold out at all the Gamestops I tried in Baton Rouge :( They said the next shipment was July 14? -_-

can anyone confirm this?

Jtyettis said:
You chose wisely.

That's generally the goal. :D BTW, this is my 3rd 360. My first I sold, in order to keep my car, when I broke my ankle and was out of work for 3 months. The second was the COD one I bought on an impulse while working the midnight release, and I sold it this morning. I've owned both Banjo Kazooie and Halo 3 before. I regretted selling them. And for RDR, it is supposedly one of the best games(and everyone I know can't STFU about it) on the 360 right now, and my newest game was FF13. I didn't see a copy on the shelf, so I asked the manager if they had one, and he said they had just gotten one traded in(on the back counter).

SquirrelNuckle said:
Do we still know how long their doing this deal for?

Gamestop said:
Full trade value amount must be applied toward the pre-order or purchase of a new Slim Xbox 360, new hardware subject to availability by location. No rainchecks. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer expires 7/18/10.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Do we still know how long their doing this deal for?

Website says 7/18/10. So glad I got mine today at the first Gamestop I called. Sucks for people who don't live in an area with like 20 stores within a 30 minute drive.

ElNino

Klocker said:
thanks for the AES mode tip.. crap to the degradation to G. :/
You should be able to run Mixed mode (G/N) on 2.4Ghz and use WPA2-AES, at least that's what I do on my D-Link. My wireless N bridge and laptops have no issues connecting to N while I can still connect my Blackberry to G when it turn on WiFi for it, as well as people bringing their laptops which are G.

Mrbob

duk said:
gonna be a nice bump in sales for the 360 but how many are double dippers

Honestly, I'm guessing not a lot. I always wonder what percentage is overlap. Of course if people have been waiting for the 360 to 149, I doubt a 299 package will entice them to buy it. No matter what is packed into it.

We are beginning phase 2 of the 5 year cycle.

Did you guys who got the extra $25 have to specifically ask for it?

I didn't even bother trying because I was under the impression that it didn't stack with the extra TIV they're offering for the upgrade trade in....

I'm wondering if I should go back to GS tomorrow and see if I can get them to give me an extra $25 credit....

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
unagisensei said:

I didn't even bother trying because I was under the impression that it didn't stack with the extra TIV they're offering for the upgrade trade in....

I'm wondering if I should go back to GS tomorrow and see if I can get them to give me an extra $25 credit....
It specifically says offers don't stack, people here just got lucky they added $25 to their value.

unagisensei said:

What happened with me is that the trade up promo wouldn't show up, so the clerk had to do a manual override to bump the system up to $100, at which point the computer added the promo to bring it to $125. So technically, it's not two promos at work. It's a price override plus a promo.

Picked one up at GameStop today, did the trade-in deal and ended up owing $100. This thing looks so good in person. Starting the license transfer process now!

Well, picked mine up and..... totally worth it. Love the thing to pieces already.

For those still interested in the deal, at the store I got mine, its pretty much over. Im not at the one I got it at often, so Im not sure if its a bunch of bullshitters (unlike the one I usually go to where everyone is cool), but the deal only works if a slim is lined-up in the transaction.... and their next delivery according to their system is the 14th of July..... three days AFTER the promotion. Since they arent doing preorders, its obviously going to be too late to take advantage of the promotion. Of course, I could completely see them extending this perhaps.

JesseZao

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Picked one up at GameStop today, did the trade-in deal and ended up owing $100. This thing looks so good in person. Starting the license transfer process now!

I'll have to transfer these next week when I pick the S up. One thing I am not looking forward to is "redownloading." Do I have to redownload every single file even if I use a hard drive transfer kit? I noticed on the site I have a bit over 600 game licenses (assuming that includes DLC and demos). I really don't want to redownload every XBLA games and DLC for games >_<.

Sucks that you have to re-download arcade games to play them offline even after a DRM transfer. I was hoping I had saved myself that hassle by transferring them via USB. Looks like I can only play Rock Band 1 tracks in Rock Band 2 if I'm connected to Live, as well. Good thing there's built in wireless now.

JesseZao said:
I'll have to transfer these next week when I pick the S up. One thing I am not looking forward to is "redownloading." Do I have to redownload every single file even if I use a hard drive transfer kit? I noticed on the site I have a bit over 600 game licenses (assuming that includes DLC and demos). I really don't want to redownload every XBLA games and DLC for games >_<.

Basically, if you want it to work whether you are offline or not, you will have to re-download (at least with games, not sure about DLC). If you don't care, the transfer will move pretty much everything except in my case, Xbox Originals saves.

TheApatheticOne said:
Well, picked mine up and..... totally worth it. Love the thing to pieces already.

For those still interested in the deal, at the store I got mine, its pretty much over. Im not at the one I got it at often, so Im not sure if its a bunch of bullshitters (unlike the one I usually go to where everyone is cool), but the deal only works if a slim is lined-up in the transaction.... and their next delivery according to their system is the 14th of July..... three days AFTER the promotion. Since they arent doing preorders, its obviously going to be too late to take advantage of the promotion. Of course, I could completely see them extending this perhaps.

Apparently, the deal is now ending on the 18th in order to address the shipping issues.

Redbeard

Banned
I know this has probably been asked a bajillion times over, but I didn't see anything in the OP: Can I put in an off the shelf hard drive, similar to the PS3?

I'm going to exchange my old 360 for the new Slim, but I'm probably going to wait for the inevitable arcade version along with any price drops.

I dunno why anyone would jump on this too soon without knowing Microsoft's fall plans if they already own a 360.

PumpkinPie said:
I'm not sure whether to sell my 360 arcade w/ 20gb HD on Ebay or just wait and see if there are any special trade-in offers...(UK)

I would wait for a deal IMO. You don't really have to rush.

First of all, you already have one.

And second of all, the second-hand market is so diluted with bad consoles that finding decent value there is going to be difficult. Also, there is a pretty decent chance there could potentially be a mass influx of people looking to upgrade older systems.

Third of all, you already have one ;)

Redbeard said:
I know this has probably been asked a bajillion times over, but I didn't see anything in the OP: Can I put in an off the shelf hard drive, similar to the PS3?
I think the generally accepted answer is no

Redbeard said:

I'm going to exchange my old 360 for the new Slim, but I'm probably going to wait for the inevitable arcade version along with any price drops.

I dunno why anyone would jump on this too soon without knowing Microsoft's fall plans if they already own a 360.

No, unfortunately Hard Drives are still proprietary.

outsidah

I love how every EB called me "bro" and advised me to just reserve for their next shipment so I dont have to keep looking.

I didnt want to break their hearts and tell them Best Buy for one has 40+ in each store waiting for a buyer.

just bought one off amazon, had $80 credit so i am double dipping
now trying to sell my 120 gb xbox 360 elite at the moment, it's a falcon, hopefully i can get about $220 to kinda break even.
off to craigs list/ebay

friskykillface said:
just bought one off amazon, had $80 credit so i am double dipping
now trying to sell my 120 gb xbox 360 elite at the moment, it's a falcon, hopefully i can get about $220 to kinda break even.
off to craigs list/ebay

Just an FYI: Elites are $250 new.

MikeE21286 said:
Just an FYI: Elites are $250 new.

With two games. I'm still amazed and thrilled that I got $156 from Gamestop for a three year old system and 20GB HDD. There was a time that I almost coughed up $130 just for the 250GB HDD upgrade.

Redbeard said:

How much space do you need? If you need extra, you can always connect external USB drives and the system will treat them like free space on the internal (something the PS3 and Wii still doesn't support)

Redbeard said:

If you don't need a unit right now, then this is your best bet.

Redbeard said:

I was able to get close to $295 in total trade in value for a semi-launch, non HDMI unit. I would be a fool not to take advantage of the deal.

Top Bottom