• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
theultimo said:
Only one can be used for the $100. However, ring up the other as a separate trade in and you should get around $85 for the second 360 ($60+25 rebate).

Is this right? If so, the $85 you get + a wireless controller = $110...which is actually better.

Papercuts said:
Is this right? If so, the $85 you get + a wireless controller = $110...which is actually better.

I think for that $85 you will need a controller also. I think the require trade in is 360 (barebone), power brick, video cable and a controller (wire or wireless).

Anyway, I went to reserve a system and the manager was surprise that you could reserve it. (Though she was going to call me anyway, and let me know when then next one came out but I figure I might as well reserve one).

Enojado

I have my PS3 and 360S hooked up the same way: hdmi to tv and optical audio from console to receiver

PS3 - sound only comes from surround sound speakers and no echo when playing games, watching videos, etc.

New 360S - sound comes from tv speakers (unless I turn them off or mute) and surround sound speakers when playing games, watching videos, etc. This results in an annoying echo.

Is there a setting I can use on the 360 to only have sound go to my surround sound receiver?

I have an older Vizio and older surround receiver so I'm sure that doesn't help but I'm confused why I have the problem with my 360 and not my PS3.

fernoca said:
If the offer on your Xbox is applied before you''ll get $70 ($100 for a 360 as logn as it's traded for an 'S' unit - $30 Refurb Service = $70)..if not. You'll get $30 ($60 - $30).

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you so much.

So since the old Jaspers and Hard drives are being phased out what do you guys think the chances are of:

1.) Old hard drives dropping in price?
2.)New 500gb 360Ss being introduced at some point down the line.
3.)(or at the very least) new 500gb -1tb hard drives becoming available during the latter portion of the second act of this "10 year cycle"?

gdt

LongDongJunon said:
I appreciate the clarification. Thank you so much.

So since the old Jaspers and Hard drives are being phased out what do you guys think the chances are of:

1.) Old hard drives dropping in price?
2.)New 500gb 360Ss being introduced at some point down the line.
3.)(or at the very least) new 500gb -1tb hard drives becoming available during the latter portion of the second act of this "10 year cycle"?

Holy fucking cow what are you putting on your 360.

gdt5016 said:
Holy fucking cow what are you putting on your 360.

:lol Sorry let me clarify.

I wasn't asking because I'm sorely lacking in space or anything like that, I was just speaking generally. I mean I know it's crazy far off from now but I was just interested in hearing if anybody else was thinking about it.

Mo0

theultimo said:
Shoot, I almost filled my 250GB right now. Installed games can take quite a lot of space.
You're playing 30 different games on a regular basis?

Just curious, here, because those games may be big, but they're not THAT big.

theultimo

Mo0 said:
You're playing 30 different games on a regular basis?

Just curious, here, because those games may be big, but they're not THAT big.
Not a regular basis, no, but heck, I have the space, might as well put my collection on there.

Mo0

theultimo said:
Not a regular basis, no, but heck, I have the space, might as well put my collection on there.
Well, yeah, it can't hurt, but that doesn't exactly mean you need more space when you can easily delete a lot of that.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying that if we're talking about reasons we need bigger hard drives, "I like to keep games I don't normally play installed" isn't really high up on the priority list :(

Mo0 said:
Well, yeah, it can't hurt, but that doesn't exactly mean you need more space when you can easily delete a lot of that.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying that if we're talking about reasons we need bigger hard drives, "I like to keep games I don't normally play installed" isn't really high up on the priority list :(

No that's completely understandable. If you're not playing a select number of games that much why worry about them to such an extent?

On the other hand I can see where ultimo is coming from as once you install those games on your hard drive you kind of want the satisfaction of not having to do it again especially if it's for a game that you just want to piss around with for a few hours without having to sacrifice your nerves listening to the old 360 "Whhhrrr" it's way into your head.

I guess it just depends on the person and how OC that person is. I know for a fact that I can be a big ass pack rat when it comes to installs sometimes.

Master said:
Not sure why more people aren't reporting this but the built in wifi doesn't support 5ghz wireless N. Because of this I have to leave my wireless N adapter plugged in free-standing near the system. I still love my new system, but an FYI for people trading in their wireless N adapters.
yeah, i was surprised that caveat didn't get very much attention as that's pretty important to many people.

Integra

Neo Member
Giant Robot said:
IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

RDOD (Red Dot Of Death)
:lol :lol

o.o

:lol :lol :lol :lol ROFLMMFAO!! daaaaaaaamn. now thats messed up. :lol

C4Lukins said:
I really thought they would start making Kinect standard with all consoles when it was released. I think the chances of Kinect succeeding are decreasing with each new announcement.

It still seems like cool technology, but I don't see any reason to want to own it, personally. And unless some game comes out that I have to play that requires the PS Move, I'm skipping that, too. I just have a sinking feeling that neither of those two market pushes (especially Natal) are meant for us. I have no problem with them going after the audience that made the Wii such a media darling and impossible to find for over a year, but until I'm sure it's relevant to my interests, no buy.

C4Lukins

MegaKungFuRadio said:
It still seems like cool technology, but I don't see any reason to want to own it, personally. And unless some game comes out that I have to play that requires the PS Move, I'm skipping that, too. I just have a sinking feeling that neither of those two market pushes (especially Natal) are meant for us. I have no problem with them going after the audience that made the Wii such a media darling and impossible to find for over a year, but until I'm sure it's relevant to my interests, no buy.

The problem with that is, both Kinect and Move seem like they are going to be bundled with premium versions of the systems. I think for them to have any chance they need to be included with the cheaper versions of the consoles, or with every single console starting with their release. If they cannot do that and at least maintain the pricing they have now upon release, then they maybe have six months to get their shit together before they just become another EyeToy that appeals to a certain demographic, but does not really expand their market.

Move does seem to be the better option as of right now for the hardcore gamer, so maybe they are more likely to adopt it, while Kinect seems like it would demo much better to the Oprah audience but is giving very few reasons for the hardcore to adopt it. I hope they can make both of them work for both audiences.

C4Lukins said:
The problem with that is, both Kinect and Move seem like they are going to be bundled with premium versions of the systems. I think for them to have any chance they need to be included with the cheaper versions of the consoles, or with every single console starting with their release. If they cannot do that and at least maintain the pricing they have now upon release, then they maybe have six months to get their shit together before they just become another EyeToy that appeals to a certain demographic, but does not really expand their market.

Move does seem to be the better option as of right now for the hardcore gamer, so maybe they are more likely to adopt it, while Kinect seems like it would demo much better to the Oprah audience but is giving very few reasons for the hardcore to adopt it. I hope they can make both of them work for both audiences.

Yeah, like I just posted in another thread, I really think should keep the current Arcade SKU around because they can easily bundle that system with Kinect priced at $200 and sell a lot based just on the value. I don't really care if they never make anything for the Kinect or Move that I care about, honestly. I worry a lot more that there will be a handful of games I end up interested in, compelling me to invest in something I'm not thrilled about, after which I'll be left with something I don't particularly care for. Not to start any trouble or anything, but I was starting to feel that way about the Wii. While the system itself has been more or less redeemed, the Balance Board has not been, and I still don't have a Motion Plus for that very reason.

Hawk269

A few questions and some other stuff from reading the manual...

1. What is that kensignton lock thing? I noticed a notch and an icon of a lock on the back of the unit, what is this for?

2. Did anyone notice in the instruction manual that there is some sort of release button on the side of the system..so if the disk tray get's stuff, you can use a paperclip and release the door?

And finally, it looks like this sucker is selling very well. The best buy near me which had 54 units have sold through all of them in 2 days. That is pretty good considering this store was selling about 15 360's a week.

I wonder what the arcade sku of the new 360 will look like? They had the chrome tray to differentiate between arcade/premium, i wonder if a matte finish will be on the cards, or if it will simply be a case of the hard drive splitting the two configurations.

Kolgar said:
So, what's the consensus on positioning? Is vertical or horizontal better for dissipating heat?

I would go horizontal for a number of reasons. Number one is a stable base. As far as heat goes, the system seems to have two intake vents and one large exit vent. The exit vent is the top vent when horizontal, right side when standing vertically. The difference between shooting hot air straight up and to the right and out is minimal, but by standing the system up, you are standing it one of the two remaining vents.

so i'm thinking about snagging one of these soon since my current refurb will be out of warranty soon and was just wondering what the warranty is on the slim.

just 1 year standard no 3 years rrod coverage like the old boxes, right?

theultimo

WickedLaharl said:
so i'm thinking about snagging one of these soon since my current refurb will be out of warranty soon and was just wondering what the warranty is on the slim.

just 1 year standard no 3 years rrod coverage like the old boxes, right?
Thats with the GS clerk quoted me, GS has made the extended warranty available again as well.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
so by July 1 to 5 it would be impossible to find one in LA?

theultimo

LegendofJoe said:
I want one of these sooo bad, but my stance against waste prevents me from buying another 360 when the one I have still works fine. :'(
With a couple of trade-ins and your xbox, its almost the cost of a game. I traded in 1 Zephyr Elite + wireless adapter + 6 games and only paid $70.

Shoogoo

I wonder how much will the fat arcade drop in price.. It might end up very interesting for people who don't care about the slim.

S1kkZ

Shoogoo said:
Anything announced for EU?

Costanza should stop making threads that need updates, he's always banned for weeks.
the 360 arcade is 169€ in germany. with a 20gb hdd and 4 games.

That red dot of death is horrible.

"Oh, a hardware error? Well, I guess it's time to call the MS support."
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave."

Say hello to the new Xbox:
bk8sukwwo2wqd6jhw.jpg

brotkasten said:
That red dot of death is horrible.

"Oh, a hardware error? Well, I guess it's time to call the MS support."
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave."

Say hello to the new Xbox:
bk8sukwwo2wqd6jhw.jpg
Alright, this got a smile out of me.

Kolgar said:
So, what's the consensus on positioning? Is vertical or horizontal better for dissipating heat?

I might be wrong but the spec and detail sheet says you can only have it standing vertically. Otherwise you may be blocking your vents.

botkiller

highluxury said:
I might be wrong but the spec and detail sheet says you can only have it standing vertically. Otherwise you may be blocking your vents.

When horizontal, there are rubber feet and no vents on the bottom. Pretty sure it's ok to have in that position.

CougRon

LegendofJoe said:
I want one of these sooo bad, but my stance against waste prevents me from buying another 360 when the one I have still works fine. :'(
Actually, that's why you want to trade it in. It's still useful and will get recycled for somebody else to enjoy and make use of. If you just wait until it no longer works, no one will want to buy it and it's only good for landfill. (okay, I suppose parts of it can be stripped for materials but you get the idea.)

VegaShinra

I just set mine up and was experimenting with how I want it to be placed. Horizontally the system feels much hotter than it did standing which was pretty cool but it was louder when it stood up.

Top Bottom