• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

surly

Banned
When I first got a Jasper unit, it red-ringed after a few days, but I noticed that the light on the PSU was red, so I borrowed a PSU off a friend and everything was fine. There was nothing wrong with the console itself. MS sent me a new PSU and I've had no problems ever since. Chances are, if it's not an issue with the power strip, it's probably a faulty PSU.

The guy could try checking the secondary error code (if that's still possible with the new 360s). When I did that, it was 0003, which (usually) means that the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.

So uh... after migrating everything over, Zune Marketplace seems rather convinced that I've never downloaded anything from it. Not a thing in the DL history, nor on the Zune.net website. Great. Microsoft's billing site sure lists me throwing away points on shit though. This rather dampens my genuine fervor for the DD future.

The actual thing is awesome of course. I've had it since tuesday, it's pretty much saved Netflix for me. I can't hear it, at all. Also doesn't heat up entire room like the old clunker did.

JWong

Banned
surly said:
When I first got a Jasper unit, it red-ringed after a few days, but I noticed that the light on the PSU was red, so I borrowed a PSU off a friend and everything was fine. There was nothing wrong with the console itself. MS sent me a new PSU and I've had no problems ever since. Chances are, if it's not an issue with the power strip, it's probably a faulty PSU.

The guy could try checking the secondary error code (if that's still possible with the new 360s). When I did that, it was 0003, which (usually) means that the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.
If it was a few days, why didn't you just use the warranty?

FrankT

Son of Godzilla said:
So uh... after migrating everything over, Zune Marketplace seems rather convinced that I've never downloaded anything from it. Not a thing in the DL history, nor on the Zune.net website. Great. Microsoft's billing site sure lists me throwing away points on shit though. This rather dampens my genuine fervor for the DD future.

The actual thing is awesome of course. I've had it since tuesday, it's pretty much saved Netflix for me. I can't hear it, at all. Also doesn't heat up entire room like the old clunker did.

I had to redownload Zune MP altogether.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
do you guys even read?

When I took the dead 360 model S to gamestop she tried the same thing that I did. She hooked the 360 up using the console and the a/v cables to their equipment and it would not power on. The Brick red lighted.

I asked her if she would mind testing the new brick from the new console on the dead 360. It also red lighted.

So after this I made the swap and headed home with my 2nd Model S 360 in 3 days and everything is working now but I'm keeping an eye on the system.

FrankT

Tiduz said:
do you guys even read?

I'm sorry was this posted somewhere as the link from youtube had already been posted in here at least twice. So if he's posting youtube comments I certainly din't click again.

Ashodin

I'm so absolutely glad I got my 360 S when it first came out the week of E3 - the pre-order fiasco at GameStop is ridiculous, and now that pre-orders are done literally only a week after E3, it makes having one when it came out all that much sweeter. Pics of my set up later on.

th3dude

Maxrpg said:
I'm so absolutely glad I got my 360 S when it first came out the week of E3 - the pre-order fiasco at GameStop is ridiculous, and now that pre-orders are done literally only a week after E3, it makes having one when it came out all that much sweeter. Pics of my set up later on.
Definitely jealous. July 9 mine will be here :(

Maxrpg said:

Same.

I didn't expect it to be this rough.

soyboy

Maxrpg said:

I'm actually mind blown by the fact that gamestop doesn't have anymore. I called a bunch up in NYC yesterday and they were all out of stock. I walk into PC Richards by the atlantic mall in Brooklyn and pick one up off the shelf.

Happy so far with the unit but still trying to figure out what to do with my old 360. Anyone know if the gamestop trade in would apply the credit towards a PS3?

Pein

Banned
Maxrpg said:
agreed, if they only did bundles when it came out I wouldn't have one

soyboy said:
I'm actually mind blown by the fact that gamestop doesn't have anymore. I called a bunch up in NYC yesterday and they were all out of stock. I walk into PC Richards by the atlantic mall in Brooklyn and pick one up off the shelf.

Happy so far with the unit but still trying to figure out what to do with my old 360. Anyone know if the gamestop trade in would apply the credit towards a PS3?

Only towards a 360 S unfortunately.

Weenerz

Banned
soyboy said:

You could try going to a GameStop that you know doesn't have the system in stock, trading your stuff in and getting them to put your credit on a card, then go to a different GameStop and buy a PS3.

Kai Ozu

I walked into a best buy today and saw at least 10 of them right up front and they have a ton of them at frys over here.

Love this version of the 360. I really like the way it looks.

Kai Ozu said:
I walked into a best buy today and saw at least 10 of them right up front and they have a ton of them at frys over here.

Same here, found quite a few bundles at BestBuy and other electronic stores here in Windsor, Ontario.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Kai Ozu said:

I think this is what has irked people... Stores have them in stock, except for the one that is doing a trade in deal.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
cjelly said:
I think this is what has irked people... Stores have them in stock, except for the one that is doing a trade in deal.
Sounds like they are selling, but not to "never before" 360 owners. But to 360 owners who want an upgrade/replacement for the cheap.

So yeah, been playing Red Dead Redemption and for whatever reason, this specific title seems to manage to always get my Jasper 360 fans to spin fast enough were there is always a present whine in the air ....IT IS FUCKING DESTROYING MY EARS as once you hear it, you can't unhear it unless your engaged in a shootout or something.

....I hate whines ...so.fucking.much.

I can take low hums, maybe even some whirs ala PS3Slim once it's been on for awhile. ,but the goddamn whine of a smaller fan just drives me insane!
For this reason alone I would consider buying a 360 slim, even though I find it rather ugly in comparision to fatty elites.
So I gotta ask, is it that much more quiet?

I'll make this a bit easier by ranking the consoles I own by least audible and hopefully someone can compare. Thanks again:

1. Original GunMetal Gray MGS4 Limited Edition Bundle - Upon boot up, you don't hear it and at peak, it's a very low hum that you'll only really hear if your crouching right next to it. Quietest PS3 I've owned (gone from a OG 60gb to a software BC 80gb which was by far the loudest)

2. Nintendo Wii - Absolutely silent when disc isn't spinning

3. Xbox 360 Elite Jasper (all games installed to HDD) - A constant whir upon boot up and when sitting idle. Red Dead (and probably some other titles I can't think of) make it reach whinning levels.

To give things some perspective, I live in a german apartment with concrete walls, so you can hear EVERYTHING that's contained within said walls. This amplifies the sound of the consoles and as I said, can make the 360 sound deafening

So yeah, impressions would be appreciated.

FrankT

The BBs around me have been out for well over a week. The ones around where my parents lived were all out and it seemed like they got a second shipment that lasted maybe a day. So in some areas you may find it not relying on GS, but in others not so much. A few of the Gamestops around here have got a second shipment, but it doesn't seem like it's going to last long. It just doesn't seem like they are getting anyhwre near as much as the BB's really and they simply need them more with the trade-in. I wouldn't be surprised of most GS's got a shipment this week, but it maybe next week.

Aspiring

Hey gaf i have a question. Do the 360 slims come with anything pre loaded on the hard drive? If so what?

Also i am giving my old harddrive to my brother, and i was wondering about Hexic HD. Is it on the newer Hard drives? If it is, my old copy is it linked to my account and 360 or could i give it to my brother?

Aspiring said:
Hey gaf i have a question. Do the 360 slims come with anything pre loaded on the hard drive? If so what?

Also i am giving my old harddrive to my brother, and i was wondering about Hexic HD. Is it on the newer Hard drives? If it is, my old copy is it linked to my account and 360 or could i give it to my brother?

came with two trials of xbox live games and hexic. well, in pal country anyway.

Aspiring

Oh OK its probably the same as the US version. So is Hexic tied to the console/gamertag? Because if it is not i will just give the one that was on my original HDD to my brother.

No it's not out for a good few weeks. I was at the Microsoft press conference though :D

Aspiring said:
Oh OK its probably the same as the US version. So is Hexic tied to the console/gamertag? Because if it is not i will just give the one that was on my original HDD to my brother.

Don't know yet, I'm at work atm and too busy to hook it up, sorry. I'll try to do it tonight. but first I have to watch the Netherlands win with football =)

Kolgar

AgentOtaku said:
....I hate whines ...so.fucking.much...

As someone who has owned four Xbox 360s, I feel your pain. The Elite I just traded in had the most grating sound--a low, clattery wheeze that I think may have been the bearings of the fan.

It was my number-one reason for trading up to a slim, and the move has been worth it.

I literally don't hear the system anymore unless I'm right up near it. Even then, it's very quiet. (Hot, but quiet.)

I'd say it's almost as quiet as my Wii and definitely quieter than both of my PS3s (I have a non-BC 80GB and a slim).

Microsoft done good on the noise issue with these consoles.

Kolgar said:
As someone who has owned four Xbox 360s, I feel your pain. The Elite I just traded in had the most grating sound--a low, clattery wheeze that I think may have been the bearings of the fan.

It was my number-one reason for trading up to a slim, and the move has been worth it.

I literally don't hear the system anymore unless I'm right up near it. Even then, it's very quiet. (Hot, but quiet.)

I'd say it's almost as quiet as my Wii and definitely quieter than both of my PS3s (I have a non-BC 80GB and a slim).

Microsoft done good on the noise issue with these consoles.

thanks man!

I'm thinking it'll be my anniversary gift and I'll just stick the Elite in the bedroom with my PS3slim

and yeah, I've gone through 3 360's myself.

mintylurb

AgentOtaku said:
So yeah, been playing Red Dead Redemption and for whatever reason, this specific title seems to manage to always get my Jasper 360 fans to spin fast enough were there is always a present whine in the air ....IT IS FUCKING DESTROYING MY EARS as once you hear it, you can't unhear it unless your engaged in a shootout or something.

....I hate whines ...so.fucking.much.

I can take low hums, maybe even some whirs ala PS3Slim once it's been on for awhile. ,but the goddamn whine of a smaller fan just drives me insane!
For this reason alone I would consider buying a 360 slim, even though I find it rather ugly in comparision to fatty elites.
So I gotta ask, is it that much more quiet?

-snip-

To give things some perspective, I live in a german apartment with concrete walls, so you can hear EVERYTHING that's contained within said walls. This amplifies the sound of the consoles and as I said, can make the 360 sound deafening

I got a slim 360 because my 360's(falcon and jasper) fan noise was driving me nuts. I still haven't got around to hooking it up but I can't wait to compare its noise level against my new 40nm ps3 slim.

thundr51

Does anybody know if the trade in deal will work towards one of the older 360 models (elite?). I've still got my non hdmi model and I'd like to upgrade it but I'm not exactly sold on the slim yet plus I'm not crazy about the fingerprint magnet paint with my kids and all. Plus, I'd be happy to just have a new unit that has the hdmi out honestly.

edit - is the trade in deal over already? I thought it was going to go on until sometime in July?

soyboy

thundr51 said:
Does anybody know if the trade in deal will work towards one of the older 360 models (elite?). I've still got my non hdmi model and I'd like to upgrade it but I'm not exactly sold on the slim yet plus I'm not crazy about the fingerprint magnet paint with my kids and all. Plus, I'd be happy to just have a new unit that has the hdmi out honestly.

edit - is the trade in deal over already? I thought it was going to go on until sometime in July?

Trade in deal goes until July 18th.

OneLetter

I'm still waiting for my local gamestop to get re-stocked. One store about 50 miles away received some on Friday, but it's not worth driving that far to pick one up.

I ended up selling all of my external components (2 HDD's, wireless adapter) for more than gamestop was giving for their trade-in value (thanks Craigslist!), so the new 360, with trade-in's and selling components I'll no longer need, will only cost me $50 now. :D

RBH

It seems that many Gamestop stores have stopped taking reservations on the new 360, so as a result, the 360 trade-in deal may be over for now (even though it was supposed to run until July 18th). It's not up on their website now either.......

The best thing to do may be to just call your local Gamestop and see if they're still running the trade-in deal.

bj00rn_

Banned
My wife just told me to hold off the purchase because she wants to buy it for me (I, lucky man :) )
I'm just wondering if I can just copy my saves and download the DRMed games I have on my current 360 when I want and start to use the new one right away or if I have to transfer/register the DRMed stuff first? Anyone?

FrankT

RBH said:
It seems that many Gamestop stores have stopped taking reservations on the new 360, so as a result, the 360 trade-in deal may be over for now (even though it was supposed to run until July 18th). It's not up on their website now either.......

The best thing to do may be to just call your local Gamestop and see if they're still running the trade-in deal.

That's kind of BS since I thought they announced it was running until the 18th. I guess if they have reserved as much as the next two shipments or so I could see how that might be a problem however

Jtyettis said:
That's kind of BS since I thought they announced it was running until the 18th. I guess if they have reserved as much as the next two shipments or so I could see how that might be a problem however

You think the trade-in offer still applies to those who've pre ordered their slims?

I mean is it ridiculous for them to understand that some of us traded in enough to put money down on on the 360s at the time so we can trade the rest in when our shipment arrives. (...and so that we still have something to play while we wait to grab our upgrades.)

Or am I just being ridiculous for thinking I'd be given that kind of opportunity?

Nemesis_

Can someone just briefly summarise how the new models perform? Are they relatively problem free, or are there still issues?

cool_dude_2049 said:
So some comments about the new xbox 360.

Previous Xbox 360s had some surround sound syncing issues where some receivers would not detect 5.1 audio. I had this problem and would have to change sources repeatedly or reboot my system for the receiver to recognize 5.1 audio. With the Xbox 360s, I no longer have that problem.

Also, you can call 1-800-4My-Xbox and have them manually transfer your licenses if you have to wait like I do. I could not use the license transfer tool until a few months from now, but I called and they manually transferred all my licenses to my new Xbox 360. I just had to re-download them to renew the license.

Edit: I just got off the phone with them. It will take 1-2 days for them to process the request, and if approved, you will receive a confirmation email telling you to redownload your stuff, but the transfer may take up to 10 days depending on the content. Either way, 10 days is better than several months.

Moreover, if you have the same problem I did where you've changed Xboxs and when you try to download shit from marketplace on xbox.com, it doesn't download immediately when you turned on the system, but rather, it went to pending downloads, you can delete the system update on your xbox to renew your console's registration with your gamertag.
Meaning, go to system on the dashboard, memory and highlight hard drive but do not select it. Remember the ol' clear system cache code? (LB RB X LB RB X) It will clear your system updates and will update your console settings on xbox.com so that you can queue up download on the marketplace web page.

Just an update, I got the request for a manual license transfer in a day, so I was able to redownload all my stuff and play it offline without having to several weeks to use the license transfer tool on xbox.com

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LongDongJunon said:
You think the trade-in offer still applies to those who've pre ordered their slims?

I mean is it ridiculous for them to understand that some of us traded in enough to put money down on on the 360s at the time so we can trade the rest in when our shipment arrives. (...and so that we still have something to play while we wait to grab our upgrades.)

Or am I just being ridiculous for thinking I'd be given that kind of opportunity?

My local Gamestop says the trade-in deal is still good through the 18th - but will obviously only apply to people who pre-ordered the console and come pick-it up/trade in by then.

So glad I stopped by there Friday at lunch and pre-ordered.

skyfinch

Nemesis556 said:
Can someone just briefly summarise how the new models perform? Are they relatively problem free, or are there still issues?

Who knows. Not even out a month yet. So far, no problems. In fact, the new Xbox has been able to read 2 games (PGR3 and Forza 3), which were giving disc errors with my old Xbox.

Completed Splinter Cell conviction story mode and all of hunter mode this weekend, still no problems.

Edit, just to compare, the Xbox I traded in, manufactured in 08' only gave me problems with those two mentioned discs, but they were scratched to hell. Other than that, it was perfect, ran cool and didn't give me any problems. It also ran pretty quietly, but nothing compared to the new Xbox.

surly

Banned
JWong said:
If it was a few days, why didn't you just use the warranty?
It was bought online, so I had a choice of either packing up the whole thing and sending it back for an exchange/refund, or calling MS and getting them to send me out a new PSU. I'd already done a license transfer over to the new console and MS said that the PSU should be with me in 5-7 working days (it arrived in 4), so that was a better choice than packing up the whole console and shipping it off.

taylor910

Was this a limited first run? Just curious why it is taking so long for places to get there second wave of units. Gamestop told me July 16.

DasRaven

taylor910 said:
Was this a limited first run? Just curious why it is taking so long for places to get there second wave of units. Gamestop told me July 16.

Probably because people are biting on their trade in deal (bundle or not) and expected shipments are already sold through its duration. This won't be the 2nd wave, more like the 4th by 07/16.

And you are asking about GS, but you'd have no problem going into a BestBuy and buying one because they're getting shipments of 20+ weekly.

Top Bottom