• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

38 Studios Copernicus Screen Leaks

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I believe reckoning is at/close to 700k sold ww, so it's very possible it shipped 1.2mm to date

Dartastic

In another interesting note from this evening - the governor of RI keeps saying Reckoning under performed and sold 400,000 units. Curt posted tonight that it has actually sold 1.2 million in its first 90 days. Lots of misinformation out there in the press right now, so will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Yeah. I've heard that there's lots of misinformation as well. It's definitely a waiting game. Game looks visually incredible.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Reminds me of the Killzone 2 reveal.
I20see20what20you20did20there20Fry.jpg

Rokal

Doublefine kickstarter got $3.3 million. That apparently wouldn't even cover 1 month of operating expenses for 38 studios. There is no way that they are going to be able to fund the year + of development that this game is going to require via Kickstarter. Short of a publisher with a very large bankroll stepping in, this game isn't going to get finished and 38 studios is sunk. EA most likely wants to stay out of the expensive MMO business after SWTOR, and Activision has no reason to fund a competing project when they've still got the market leader with WoW.

Things look pretty grim.

Thoraxes

That looks like a WoW artstyle with attentiveness to character detail and expression like that found in TF2.

I like it.

glaurung

Those screens look very nice. Reckoning would have benefited from being more cartoonish, too.

Though as it stands, the world in Amalur was rather bland. If they stick to that setting with no identifiable true conflict, no amount of character art or game play enhancements will save them.

ZenaxPure

In another interesting note from this evening - the governor of RI keeps saying Reckoning under performed and sold 400,000 units. Curt posted tonight that it has actually sold 1.2 million in its first 90 days. Lots of misinformation out there in the press right now, so will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Could be comparing worldwide to NPD numbers. All we know from NPD is that is did around 330k (probably more because of PC, obviously) and then dropped off like a rock in the second month out. For the entire world, digital sales included, 1.2 million sounds pretty reasonable I'd like to believe.

Khezu

Was it scrapped in favor of this one? I was under the impression that they would just add mmo components to the skeleton that was amular.

No, reckoning has like nothing to do with the MMO, the MMO was always its own thing, 38 bought big huge and turned there RPG they were making into an amular game.

Lingitiz

That actually looks pretty cool. I hope everything goes well for 38 Studios, Curt Shilling seemed like a really down to Earth dude posting here.

element

Was it scrapped in favor of this one? I was under the impression that they would just add mmo components to the skeleton that was amular.
The MMO has been in development since 2006. Kingdom of Amular was a fluke as Big Huge Games was working on a game called Ascendant for THQ, which owned them. THQ killed the projects and announced that Big Huge Games would close if they didn't find a buyer. 38 Studios stepped in, bought Big Huge Games and Ascendant. Reworked the title to be the prequel for Project Copernicus, the MMO.

Cheska

Daaaamn, those screens look great! It truly is unfortunate that they are going through such a tough time right now.

ampere

Wow, that looks fantastic, really stylish, love it.

Fight on Curt!

Fight on? He's squandered over $100M of taxpayer dollars and MMOs aren't exactly low risk...

Do people really think 38 Studios making an MMO would have any realistic chance of being profitable?

Derrick01

Banned
Not impressed at all. It looks like a spruced up WoW and I'm beyond tired of MMOs and them trying to be like that. Generic fantasy has now become the WoW look.

markot

Banned
Smells like they are trying to get some hype so a buyer appears to sweep them off their feet. Hope someone does, it looks really good >.>!

Patryn

People need to understand: This isn't a spin-off of Amalur. Reckoning is a spin-off of THIS. This is the core product for 38. Reckoning was just a side project designed to create awareness for this MMO.

The MMO was always the main focus for 38.

bumpkin

Wow, that actually looks really good. Have they said anything about whether it'd have a subscription model like WoW or not? Really dig the look, hopefully they can deliver on the gameplay.

element

Fight on? He's squandered over $100M of taxpayer dollars and MMOs aren't exactly low risk...

Do people really think 38 Studios making an MMO would have any realistic chance of being profitable?
It isn't $100m. Currently at $42m.

Those screenshots are fantastic. Great artstyle. I just wish they'd abandon the MMO concept and make it a sequel to amalur instead. One of my favorite things about the game was the combat and there's no way an MMO can have the same battle system, so..

I'll buy the soundtrack, at least!

Macstorm

Those screenshots are fantastic. Great artstyle. I just wish they'd abandon the MMO concept and make it a sequel to amalur instead.

Big Huge Games, the team in Baltimore that made Reckoning, is (was?) likely working on a sequel to Reckoning. 38 Studios in Rhode Island is (was?) working on the MMO. Two different, yet linked, teams.

volturnus

Banned
Not impressed at all. It looks like a spruced up WoW and I'm beyond tired of MMOs and them trying to be like that. Generic fantasy has now become the WoW look.
This.
I don't understand why most developers are so tied to fantasy settings, when something like Neocron made today could be an instant hit.

ghibli99

Cool style! I barely played WoW, so I'm not coming in with any of those biases. Like some others, though, wish it wasn't an MMO. :(

Big Huge Games, the team in Baltimore that made Reckoning, is (was?) likely working on a sequel to Reckoning. 38 Studios in Rhode Island is (was?) working on the MMO. Two different, yet linked, teams.

Ah, I didn't know that! As long as we get a sequel to the ARPG Amalur I'll be happy then. The idea of them making a good singleplayer RPG with a great combat system just to sell an MMO and abandoning it was weirding me out.

Patryn

Ah, I didn't know that! As long as we get a sequel to the ARPG Amalur I'll be happy then. The idea of them making a good singleplayer RPG with a great combat system just to sell an MMO and abandoning it was weirding me out.

We have no guarantee of seeing an Amalur 2. And in fact, unfortunately, it's probably more likely that Big Huge would be sacrificed so that the MMO can live rather than the other way around.

PewPewK

I love the style, but it does seem like a tech-updated WoW which I'm sure they would try to mimic in every department creating another terrible MMO.

Too bad/thank God it's never coming to the market.

Top Bottom