• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$399 PS5 is significantly more expensive than a $299 XSS or a $499 XSX in the long run. Here's why

For the record, as gamers we are lucky in the year 2020 where the cost of phones have reached $1,500, tech and cost of living is an all time high, we get to choose from the most powerful systems ever released for the cheapest they have been in decades. You can prob thank Microsoft for that. This thread isnt meant to knock PS5 and its value, but rather to give perspective to those that think the $399 discless PS5 is better deal than the $299 XSS or $499 XSX.

The $299 XSS is underpowered (but still solid) but thats the point. Its targeted at budget minded folks or those that could care less about 4k. It also serves as a cheap secondary system, and a competitor to Switch. The true next gen systems are XSX and PS5, PS5 happens to offer a discless option for $100 less, but is it really saving you money in the long run? How many games can you afford to actually play on it?

Lets take a look at a theoretical 1 year cost for both systems:
  • $399 discless PS5 + 5 first party titles + 1yr PS network $60 = $810
  • $499 XSX + 5 first party titles + 1yr gamepass ultimate = $620 ($601 if you use all access financing which is zero down)
keep in mind the $620 you pay for XSX gets you hundreds of titles spanning gamepass and EA access, whereas your $810 on PS5 gets you what you only the 5 games you paid for (not counting the free games given on both services).

5 first party titles most people would want in year 1:
Sony: Demon Souls, Miles Morales, God of War, Ratchet, Horizon Zero
Microsoft: Halo Infinite, Hellblade, Forza Motorsport 8, Fable, Everwild

More points to consider
  • Aside from this you get a disc tray with XSX which means you can buy and trade used games saving you more money. 3rd party games like COD, Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk, Need for Speed etc could be traded once purchased on XSX, not on discless PS5.
  • XSX is more powerful and there is a good chance 3rd party games will look and run better, so there is that.
  • Lets not forget the XSX while $100 more, gets you a vastly superior BC model spanning thousands of titles across 3 generations, many of which are enhanced with 4x resolution and 2x FPS. On PS5, you get about 30 PS4 titles announced so far....
  • Also, you get Xcloud which is included for free with gamepass ultimate, you get to play a large library of top rated titles on your mobile device adding even more value.

Bottomline, you will spend a lot more gaming on PS5, so don't let the $100 savings on a discless PS5 be the main reason you go with Sony, because in the bigger picture you spend much more and get much less. Obviously most gamers will go where their favorite games are, but if you are torn then this is something to consider.

Personally, I will get a 3000 series GPU, an XSX on launch with zero down and use gamepass to continue my games in my bedroom when im not at my desk. A PS5 for me perhaps when God of War and Horizon come out.

Last edited:
who cares, I'll pay more for better quality.

5 sony first party =/= 5 MS first party. Quality is worth the price.

Demon souls is a remake, Miles Morales is like Spiderman DLC, Ratchet is 4k 30 which is underwhelming for next gen, Sony's first party while good, does not blow away Microsofts offerings like you suggest.

Last edited:
I don't end up playing most of the games I get with PS+, so hundreds more games I don't have time to play isn't any greater value to me, I barely spend more on games each year than Gamepass would cost me, and the PS exclusives are better than all the subscription games combined.

Slightly cheaper mediocrity isn't better value than slightly more expensive high quality.

Plus, if I really want to play an Xbox game, I'll get it on PC, which is a better platform that makes an actual xbox console completely redundant.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Gold Member
Demon souls is a remake, Miles Morales is like Spiderman DLC, Ratchet is 4k 30 which is underwhelming for next gen, Sony's first party while good, does not blow away Microsofts offerings like you suggest.

Microsoft: Halo Infinite, Hellblade, Forza Motorsport 8, Elden Ring, Everwild

Halo won’t come out for a while, Elden ring isn’t exclusive to Xbox...

Microsoft: Halo Infinite, Hellblade, Forza Motorsport 8, Elden Ring, Everwild
Elden ring isnt exclusive. Everwild ain't coming out for another couple years, the devs don't even know what they are trying to achieve.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I assume the 5 first party titles are on game pass for free? And what happens at the beginning of year 2? You 100% need to pay more on Xbox to get those games that cost nothing more on ps5 (of course you would get more games but if we are just talking cost...)

I get what you are saying but you are artificially limiting the scope to serve your argument.

FeiRR

Banned
I don't like next gen pricing but it doesn't matter. Electronics designed for the American market isn't worth my money. I don't buy junk.

turtlepowa

Banned
This thread won't end well and here is why:
Narrative 3rd person action adventures, narrative 3rd person action adventures and narrative 3rd person action adventures.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I find the PS5 Digital a bit revolting tbh, ok i noticed a few days ago, Dark Souls 3 priced at 59.99 on PStore, funny i remember buying the disc for cheaper some months after release 🤔
They want to keep gamers controlled and limited to their store, what about finding some game on sale at a retail store?nope you have to buy it on digital silly.
Yes there will be sales and all that but i fear most people that buy their PS5 digital won't save $100 in the long run, some games will be cheaper others more expensive but there is no choice anymore for them.

Now you might think, well they are providing the consumer a choice between digital and physical, but by making one cost $100 less they are pushing the digital version and helping kill the retail market,good for Sony but i argue its bad for the consumers, there is no freedom anymore.

A very important point, with Xbox at least GamePass box provides plenty of content for a cheap subscription (and cheaper price for the box even if the specs aren't up to PS5) there is no such thing with PS5 Digital Edition, PlayStation store is NOT Gamepass,its not the same value unless they make big changes im very worried about this im hoping im wrong for everybody sake

GHG

Gold Member
Imagine including gamepass ffs. Some people like to own their games.

Gamepass doesn't magically get you the games that are on the other platform either.

Provided the price is right people will buy the platform that better aligns to their tastes, the end.

Edit: man actually had the audacity to include everwild lmao. Close the thread.

Last edited:

Larvana

This is why series S + gamepass is better value. Digital PS5 and its games will be expensive and not everyone can afford that.

Imagine paying $499 to play Gaylo Craigfinite and Beers of War 7
baiIHSV.png

( brap brap , Get ITT and laugh at this post!)

Last edited:

angrod14

For the record, as gamers we are lucky in the year 2020 where the cost of phones have reached $1,500, tech and cost of living is an all time high, we get to choose from the most powerful systems ever released for the cheapest they have been in decades. You can prob thank Microsoft for that. This thread isnt meant to knock PS5 and its value, but rather to give perspective to those that think the $399 discless PS5 is better deal than the $299 XSS or $499 XSX.

The $299 XSS is underpowered (but still solid) but thats the point. Its targeted at budget minded folks or those that could care less about 4k. It also serves as a cheap secondary system, and a competitor to Switch. The true next gen systems are XSX and PS5, PS5 happens to offer a discless option for $100 less, but is it really saving you money in the long run? How many games can you afford to actually play on it?

Lets take a look at a theoretical 1 year cost for both systems:
  • $499 XSX + 5 first party titles + 1yr gamepass ultimate = $620 ($601 if you use all access financing which is zero down)
keep in mind the $620 you pay for XSX gets you hundreds of titles spanning gamepass and EA access, whereas your $810 on PS5 gets you what you only the 5 games you paid for (not counting the free games given on both services).

5 first party titles most people would want in year 1:

More points to consider
  • Aside from this you get a disc tray with XSX which means you can buy and trade used games saving you more money. 3rd party games like COD, Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk, Need for Speed etc could be traded once purchased on XSX, not on discless PS5.
  • XSX is more powerful and there is a good chance 3rd party games will look and run better, so there is that.
  • Lets not forget the XSX while $100 more, gets you a vastly superior BC model spanning thousands of titles across 3 generations, many of which are enhanced with 4x resolution and 2x FPS. On PS5, you get about 30 PS4 titles announced so far....
  • Also, you get Xcloud which is included for free with gamepass ultimate, you get to play a large library of top rated titles on your mobile device adding even more value.

Bottomline, you will spend a lot more gaming on PS5, so don't let the $100 savings on a discless PS5 be the main reason you go with Sony, because in the bigger picture you spend much more and get much less. Obviously most gamers will go where their favorite games are, but if you are torn then this is something to consider.

Personally, I will get a 3000 series GPU, an XSX on launch with zero down and use gamepass to continue my games in my bedroom when im not at my desk. A PS5 for me perhaps when God of War and Horizon come out.

oagboghi2

I'm sorry but your list doesn't prove your point at all. What is EverWild and why should we care? Why are you citing Forza but ignoring Grabs Turismo? Why do you think Fable will be as good as God of War or even Horizon?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The actual sane argument is that Sony is pricing their first party games at $70/each while Microsoft and most third parties appear to be sticking with the $60 price point. With the digital PS5 you're locked in to the digital prices which will probably remain high.

So - if you plan on buying 10 or more games next gen, the Series X should come out to be the cheaper console, even without factoring in Game Pass or the ability to buy used games.

betrayal

Banned
Sony can afford the higher price because they have more unique titles. What does anyone want with an Xbox Series X if they already have a good gaming PC? I don't want to take sides, but in the current generation Sony has had the better lineup by far. It wasn't even close or anything, it was just humiliating for MS.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Fable and Everwild aren't even games yet. And did you miss the Halo memes?

Dr Bass

You're a small proportion of the market.

AAPL says hi.

I.E. you could not be more incorrect. Plenty of people are willing to pay more for better products. In fact, study after study shows that people who pay more for their products tend to actually be happier with those actual products. Cheapskates, or people looking for the best deal, are the ones that are perpetually unhappy/complaining. Typically because they don't understand the proposition of what true value actually is.

Great Hair

Banned

Does gamepass not cost $180 every year?
PS Year 1 Demon Souls, Sackboy, Spiderman 2, Destruction All Derby
XB Year 1 none, no 1st party game ... $180 down the drain

PS Year 2 GT7, HZD2, God of War, FF16
XB Year 2 none, no 1st party game ... another $180 down the drain (maybe Forza, 1x game at most)

PS Year 3 Naughty Dog and few others
XB Year 3 Avowed, Grounded fully patched and maybe finally Flight Sim.2020 &others $180 well invested

Price
PS5 DE $399 + 3 years (4 + 4 + 4 * $95 = $1,140 for EU, $828 for US)
XSS $299 + 2 empty years, 1x good one (3*$180 = $839 for US, assuming ppl. do not buy any game outside of the GP)

Too me, they look both expensive af. 12x retail games at $69 or $95 versus 3x $180. Of course it gets cheaper if you just hop on the train for a month or two and cancel right after your GP subscription).

Silent Duck

Let's see... which is a better value for me. Hmmm...

PS5: Final Fantasy 16 = not for me, Hogwarts = not for me, Miles Morales = ok, Horizon 2 = ok, GOW2 = eh, Demon Souls = played it, COD = No interest

XSX: Craig-lo Infinite = no, Hellblade 2 = didn't care for Hellblade 1, Forza = of no interest to me, Fable = again, no interest, Everwild = Eh, I guess

Best value for me is... ( as angelic angelic said) PS4 Pro. Too many games in my back log already. I can wait two years to see what they have to offer then.

Edit: For some reason the whole message did not get quoted. .:pie_confused:

Last edited:
Top Bottom