• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$399 PS5 is significantly more expensive than a $299 XSS or a $499 XSX in the long run. Here's why

Sorc3r3r

5GHaoiz.jpg

OP...

Mr Moose

5 first party titles most people would want in year 1:
Sony: Demon Souls, Miles Morales, God of War, Ratchet, Horizon Zero
Microsoft: Halo Infinite, Hellblade, Forza Motorsport 8, Fable, Everwild

Are these titles "year 1"?

Raphael

After that 80e pricing, im going xsx, cyberpunk, gamepass and that will last me until several ps5 exclusives come out - i Will get that for half the price used or on pc. The launch pricing and sony's offering is atrocious.

They completely fucked EU people, its disgusting. The most dedicated customers of sony after japan. They felt so confident here their greed and arrogance got the best of them.

For the PAYers Indeed.

Last edited:

RespawnX

I go with Everwild, Halo and Forza ... I don't see Fable before end 2022 if not later and Hellblade may be a spring 2022 title. Microsoft knows that they have to generate some buzz with Hellblade and Fable to position their first party line-up against Sony. Fully expect them to invest a lot of money, in opposite to many other titles.This games will take their time, just as Avowed.

HTK

Banned
It depends who your audience is...for example Gamepass for me is worthless because the games I care about I've bought and the games I want to get are not on Gamepass because I play new games...so for me having access to last year's CoD is pointless.

I've been digital since PS3, I only purchase multiplayer games with longevity on release date...single player games I wait for a sale.

It all depends which bucket you fall into as a consumer. Just be smart about it and play by your wallets budget.

Mr Moose

I go with Everwild, Halo and Forza ... I don't see Fable before end 2022 if not later and Hellblade may be a spring 2022 title. Microsoft knows that they have to generate some buzz with Hellblade and Fable to position their first party line-up against Sony. Fully expect them to invest a lot of money, in opposite to many other titles.This games will take their time, just as Avowed.
I don't think Everwild will be year 1. All we've seen from Forza is a 30fps trailer, not sure if that'll make it year 1 though they are used to making them every 2(?) years so maybe.

First we find out that the title is currently in the pre-productionphase, so the actual development has not started yet but the team is making prototypes and designing the game mechanics before starting with the actual production. At this stage 50 people are involved among designers, artists and technicians, but Rare plans to greatly increase the size of the team once we move on to the actual production. This makes us understand, however, probably, the title will not see the light of day until 2022 predicting at least 3 years of development.

Raphael

Just came back in this thread to say PS PLUS collection outvalues any of the indie games and B tier games on gamepass. So PS5 affordability looks great in the long run
I already played all of that on my ps4, like the majority of current gen customers.

Demon souls is a remake, Miles Morales is like Spiderman DLC, Ratchet is 4k 30 which is underwhelming for next gen, Sony's first party while good, does not blow away Microsofts offerings like you suggest.

Rare doesn't have a clue what Everwild is, Fable is years out and unless it's a damn sight better than it's prequel, Hellblade will probably be garbage.

I'm saying this as an Xbox guy for nearly 20 years lol

ZywyPL

Banned
Hard to predict the outcome, the consumers will be the judge, but I can imagine that for many All Access program or 299+GP will be a much better value than 399+70/80 games, if not the only way to get to play video games to begin with.

LostDonkey

But the Xbox won't cost me 499 on day one.

With All Access it will cost me £28.99 on day one.

With live, gamepass and EA Access as well.

You can have all that on day one for less than the price of a Papa John's.

JCK75

If the S Series had a UHD Bluray drive it may be worth it, but as it stands the $399 PS5 digital makes it pointless.
being the Series X is only an extra $10 a month, I think it's the best choice.

iHaunter

Sony doesn't have a solid subscription service that competes against GP. All first party games are going to be $70 per game. MS 's games are on a service that cost $10 per month. Quality of the titles is subjective, but the math is there.

This simply because Sony hasn't offered a strong valued alternative and cannot offer a service like GP based on PSNow's price. Whether people accept it or not, Game Pass has no doubt disrupted the economics of game development and has left Sony in a tough spot to offer an alternative.

GP costs a lot more too though. Did you not see the Plus Collection? That's like 25-30 AAA games? Most of the games on GP are dogshit. You have to sift through it to get a handful of good games. PS Plus is $50-$60 for the year. That's 4 months of GP. You can even get it for less. I got PS Plus for $29.

BigLee74

OP isn't wrong. First party MS games being made available on Gamepass is huge. Especially considering game price hike.

Unless you are prepared to wait a few years for inevitable sales though...

Sethbacca

Didn't we just read recently about how Everwild didn't even know what the game was about and Fable was in like very super early pre-production. Hellblade is going to UE5. I doubt you'll see any of this stuff until 2022 at the earliest.

Obviously it's all about opinions and preferences, but to me I see it like this:

The Xbox S seems like a terrible purchase to me... Why would I want to start a new generation with the absolute worse hardware ? Generations last 10 years usually, you want hardware that will last the whole run, buying the cheaper alternative will only bite you in the long run... Might was well stay on last-gen stuff if you intend to be cheap about it, heck the Xbox one X is actually mostly better than the S right now... X is a better purchase, but it's alot of money for something that doesn't get any true exclusives.

I'm also not buying into the whole "Pay 10 bucks a month" model Xbox has... This does adds up to 120 Bucks are year of fees on top of live costs... And frankly if this gen lasts 10 years, you'll have given thousands
of dollars to Microsoft to play some kinda meh freebie first party titles and lame EA games filled with micro-transactions. Think most ppl can agree Xbox doesn't really have any exclusives, especially this gen where every single "exclusive" is coming to PC... So I'm really not seeing any reason to get an Xbox... Might as well play these games , plus all the other PC exclusives , on a proper gaming pc, especially since you get tons of discounts when buying PC games compared to consoles anyway. Again if Xbox had every single PC game on it it might be a good purchase to replace a gaming pc, but there's still tons of PC exclusives, so it's not like I'll be skipping PC anytime soon.

On the other hand, Sony's offerings appeal to me. The Diskless PS5 has the full power of the most expensive sku, so you're paying a reasonable price for the top harware. PS+ is still pretty cheap , especially if you buy your yearly subscription at a discount for like 35 Bucks once a year... And you'll still be getting your share of freebie games each months, plus the PS+ Collection service, which imho already has more games worth playing that Xbox will probably have exclusives in it's whole lifetime next gen. Again it comes down to exclusive... I'm buying hardware to play stuff I can't play elsewhere... Not to play worse PC ports that are more expensive to purchase. And while I'll admit it's a little annoying that nowdays stuff like Horizon / Red Dead / Death Stranding eventually makes it to PC, it's usually years later, and there's still tons of true PS exclusives not available elsewhere.

TLDR: If you want to play all games next gen , just buy a good gaming PC , a PS5 and a Nintendo console... There's not really any reason to get an Xbox , as the few "exclusives" it has are also on PC.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Yep Xbox Series S or X is the best place to play old generation games...PS5 for next generation ones. Exclusives are key to next gen and Sony has Demons Souls and Microsoft Halo Craig.

Relativ9

Bottomline, you will spend a lot more gaming on PS5, so don't let the $100 savings on a discless PS5 be the main reason you go with Sony, because in the bigger picture you spend much more and get much less. Obviously most gamers will go where their favorite games are, but if you are torn then this is something to consider.

Your whole post, but this part in particular, is completely ignoring the fact that some people like digital purchases...in fact I know a lot of people that do. Gamers aren't all kids anymore, some of us are 30+ with successful high paying jobs, families, and a busy life. I don't want to wait outside a gamestop at midnight to nab my copy of the next GTA before it sells out. I don't want to drive into town and brave the horrible mix of debauchery and un-civil behavior that can be found in the mall crowds every time I want a new game. I don't want to fill my house full of plastic cases that clutter my space and that I have to install to the SSD anyway (thus not saving any space). I can afford to pay extra for my hobby and I'd rather work the hour it takes me to travel to a shop to buy a game I'm interested in and make back the money I'd save on a physical copy on sale. I also buy most of the games I play day one anyway, which means sales of "old games" are irrelevant to me.

But I'm not wasteful with money, if I can save 100$ on not having a feature I wouldn't use anyway (the only physical game I have for PS4 is RDR2 as it was a gift), I will of course do so and be happy for it.

Personally, I will get a 3000 series GPU, an XSX on launch with zero down and use gamepass to continue my games in my bedroom when im not at my desk. A PS5 for me perhaps when God of War and Horizon come out.

You spend the whole post talking about how you'd be saving money by buying a XSX or XSS, then you mention that you have a/will upgrade to a relatively hardcore gaming PC...which will literally play all the same games as an XSX at higher visual and performance fidelity. If saving money on games was your concern, surely you should just pick one?

Last edited:
When you are tight on budget, the first thing you have to cut is recurring costs on which you have no leverage. On the medium long term gamepass is terrible budget wise.

ampsinthetrunk

Neo Member
Waiting until the PS5 slim comes out. I was hard-core XBox fan, owning them all though, PS2 and PS3. So much talk about PS4 exclusives I finally jumped in last year and Sony's games blow away MS's. I have a huge backlog and the Slims are always cheaper with a huge improvement and larger established library to choose from. Patience pays! 😀

Oh, and gamepass is overhyped.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Isn't the argument games? Microsoft fucking sucks at games. That's why Microsoft will always be a cheaper option.

Repeat....MICROSOFT SUCKS AT GAMES. This is the only factor that matters.

Last edited:
Demon souls is a remake, Miles Morales is like Spiderman DLC, Ratchet is 4k 30 which is underwhelming for next gen, Sony's first party while good, does not blow away Microsofts offerings like you suggest.

Not really a great comparison there. I'd like to remind you of the Halo debacle first and foremost. Secondly, we haven't seen any actual game play of Hellblade 2 or Fable, and Everwild is still in such an early development stage that they don't even know what kind of game it will be yet. Forza will probably be exactly what you'd expect. As far as I'm concerned, Sony is blowing away Microsoft on the first-party offerings.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PS PLUS just added a bunch of games that every sonylad has already played. Hell, they even devaluated the price of those on the second hand market.
Gamepass is cool tho, but it´s a little bit like Netflix... there is a lot on offering, but only a bunch of really cool titles (imo).

If I were to buy a console based only on it´s value on offer, I would go with Xbox. PS5 is too expensive and offers little to nothing right now.

bargeparty

PS PLUS just added a bunch of games that every sonylad has already played. Hell, they even devaluated the price of those on the second hand market.
Gamepass is cool tho, but it´s a little bit like Netflix... there is a lot on offering, but only a bunch of really cool titles (imo).

If I were to buy a console based only on it´s value on offer, I would go with Xbox. PS5 is too expensive and offers little to nothing right now.

Gamepass has a ton of shit people have already played as well. It's not about those people it's about getting new players.

CitizenX

Banned
if you saw benchamrks without RTX then you are good for a very long time with whatever system you built in the last 3-4 yrs. Also if you have Nvidea card you good very looooong time with DLSS.

bender

What time is it?
OP isn't wrong. First party MS games being made available on Gamepass is huge. Especially considering game price hike.

Unless you are prepared to wait a few years for inevitable sales though...

The comparison only works if you value the output of Microsoft and Sony equally.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ive heard 59.99, but if you have gamepass, they are free on Day 1
so you are counting the 5 Xbox games as free despite paying for Gamepass, yet you are charging full price for Playstation games? why? they are as "free" as the PSNow games.

you do know if you stop paying gamepass, you lose those games? so they aren't free. in fact you don't even own them. if you stop paying the sub, you lose the games forever. you can forget about resale or collectors value altogether.

so no, your premise is flawed.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
So, games that don't currently exist, mid tier games and Battletoads on a console that currently is just a 4Ker version of the Xbox One or a cross-gen machine that struggles to be better than the One X is a better experience than an actual clear next gen console with actual next gen titles (though I guess that's so far 1, but hey, it's something)?

I don't understand the reasoning.

Compsiox

Banned
I love how in a time of microtransactions publishers are pushing this increase. Definitely pushing the industry toward gamepass like services (for better or for worse).

70/80 dollar games + tax + microtransactions pushes shit over the line I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom