• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3d Classics: TwinBee

Toy Soldier said:
Yeah, Red Alarm on Virtual Boy was/is. This would obviously have some visual advantages over that.
I remember red alarm, wasn't there supposed to be a 3d racer for vrutal boy, made by the same company as red alarm that got cancelled?

mutsu

345triangle said:
vector racing is an iphone port. it's good, though! will buy.

also twinbee, i guess, and while i really don't want to encourage capcom...

Twinbee = Konami

Or, you did that on purpose...?

BurntPork

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Nintendo at this time doesn't allow 3rd parties to have free downloads(this came up with loveplusplus transfer tool having to be a paid app)
Looks like Nintendo won't be leaving the dark ages of online gaming anytime soon...

yankee666

yess!!! TwinBee is one of my favorite famicom games ever.
Also, i think Nintendo still dont know how to price eshop games right, c'mon Y300 to Y400 for GB games and Y600 for GBC games is absurd (only DK'94 and TLOZ:LA worth that price). It should be priced Y200 at max for GB and Y300 at max for GBC

Tain

It's 2011. It's time for a Twinbee remake. And what do they decide is the best course of action?

To remake the Famicom version.

smh.

rpmurphy

Neuromancer said:
WTF Nintendo? Seriously. WTF.
Yeah, Nintendo is tight-fisted with what can be free apps on their services. There have been just a few free apps on DSiWare. Also, demos for DS and WiiWare titles are removed after a while. No demos yet on the eShop, I guess, but they probably would have the same limitations.

Tain said:
It's 2011. It's time for a Twinbee remake. And what game do they decide is the best course of action?

smh.
Yeah I'm abit annoyed at this as well, would of been nice for them to do the Arcade game instead.

Best news I'm going to take form this is that Konami is open to having their retro games get the 3D treatment so hopefully we'll have a chance of seeing Axley done sooner or later.

Twin Bee will be mine day 1!!!!

Tain said:
It's 2011. It's time for a Twinbee remake. And what game do they decide is the best course of action?

smh.

Ummm. Do we know that it's a remake of the NES version? Xevious was a remake of the arcade version, so this might be the case as well; unless the two versions are identical.

Two more 3D Classics title left tba. Wonder what they are.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'd love to play Detana!! and Yahoo! Twinbee in 3D. It's a shame this 3D Classics thing will probably never stretch past the Famicom era.

Tain

Mockingbird said:
Ummm. Do we know that it's a remake of the NES version? Xevious was a remake of the arcade version, so this might be the case as well; unless the two versions are identical.

I was going by the aspect ratio + the text mentioning the Famicom.

Tain said:
I was going by the aspect ratio + the text mentioning the Famicom.

Short of letting you hold the 3DS sideways, they can't make it much skinnier and still have it be pleasant to view.

I didn't see anything about it being a Famicom port. Looks like the first sentence is something like, ""TwinBee, first released for the Famicom in 1986, is back and now in 3D!" The implication is there that it is based on the Famicom version.... However, we don't know that for a fact until .... Iwata Asks!

I get why it's difficult for them to turn these isometric shooters and things into 3D games (such as having to account for depth when dropping bombs) but why would it be so hard for them to add depth to a platformer like Mario or Yoshi's Island? Yoshi's Island already has layered, scrolling backgrounds, can't they just... I dunno, add depth to them? Not make shit pop out off the screen, but make it recede back into the screen? Or is that just as time consuming?

mr_chun

Interesting. They must be finding that 3D conversions for shmups work out the best. Hope we get some variety in the future, though.

WordAssassin said:
I get why it's difficult for them to turn these isometric shooters and things into 3D games (such as having to account for depth when dropping bombs) but why would it be so hard for them to add depth to a platformer like Mario or Yoshi's Island? Yoshi's Island already has layered, scrolling backgrounds, can't they just... I dunno, add depth to them? Not make shit pop out off the screen, but make it recede back into the screen? Or is that just as time consuming?
I'm pretty sure at E3 last year they showed off some 3D classics that were 2D platformers, like Mega Man 2. don't know what happened.

Gravijah

Sennorin said:
Ugh. For a second I was positively shocked that this was about the SNES Pop'n Twinbee. Sadface now.

I wonder how much we'd end up paying for SNES 3D classics, should they ever exist. 10 bucks probably?

artwalknoon said:
woah, just read the paid demo part, not cool Nintendo, not cool.

Episodic releases actually can help some games to get on a system. Hell, the vast majority of IoS and Android games feel like paid demos, yet no one runs around calling them demos for a very good reason. It's 2 bucks, you get what you pay for, and If you don't like it you simply don't buy the next episodes.

The fact that this is the first chapter of the game and not a demo which becomes obsolete once the final game releases is conveniently overlooked right.
Neuromancer said:
I'm pretty sure at E3 last year they showed off some 3D classics that were 2D platformers, like Mega Man 2. don't know what happened.

For one, those games need to be completely ripped apart to use a 3D effect. With the amount of tricks and programming shortcuts needed to get the original games running on those systems, there is no simple 3D switch.
They basically have to go every level manually and I really doubt that there will be an easy convert option anytime soon.

Axkil aka StabMasterArson said:
I remember red alarm, wasn't there supposed to be a 3d racer for vrutal boy, made by the same company as red alarm that got cancelled?
Not sure if it was from the same people, but yes, Zero Racers had a very similar graphical style. It was cancelled pretty much complete, along with Bound High and Dragon Hopper (both also pretty much done), because Nintendo decided to can the VB instead of trying to keep it alive.

Zero Racers looked pretty cool, I still would love to try playing it someday... :(

Raist

Banned
Twinbee is kinda neat. I prefered the platforming "sequel" on the SNES (?) tho. Was it Pop'n'twinbee? Or something.

mclem

The Mana Legend said:
What the fuck is TwinBee?

To not even be vaguely aware of TwinBee is to not be familiar with Parodius. And to not be familiar with Parodius is living a life without joy.

mclem

Raist said:
Twinbee is kinda neat. I prefered the platforming "sequel" on the SNES (?) tho. Was it Pop'n'twinbee? Or something.

Pop'n'Twinbee was another shmup (I think Twinbee 4, effectively, but don't quote me on that). The platformer was Rainbow Bell Adventure.

Raist

Banned
mclem said:
Pop'n'Twinbee was another shmup (I think Twinbee 4, effectively, but don't quote me on that). The platformer was Rainbow Bell Adventure.

Ah, right. Well it was awesome too :p
So I guess I never played the NES one, just the shmup and the platformer on the snes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Xater said:
3DS Shop continues to not impress.
Seriously, after all the dev time pre-launch, and now 6 months post launch, this is all that's showing up?

I want to get excited for original content already.

Xater said:
3DS Shop continues to not impress.
I'm really not impressed at all with it either honestly. SO many other games they could choose to do, and above all, they choose TwinBee? TwinBee. TwinFuckingBee.

No disrespect, as its a great game, but how in the hell did this get precedence over other games that would undoubtedly generate better buzz along with more profits? Not that we should have to be choosing in the first place since there needs to be more releases per week(and releases people actually want)...but for the good of their "online plans", they can do better than just this.

abstract alien said:
No disrespect, as its a great game, but how in the hell did this get precedence over other games that would undoubtedly generate better buzz along with more profits?
Because it's easier to do?

Futureman

so wait, Xevious 3D was an arcade port, and Twinbee 3D is the NES version? I wonder why they make these decisions?

I kinda want to read the Iwata 3D Classics thing again.

we have Excitebike, Xevious, and now Twinbee.

Or did they release something else in Japan that I'm missing?

Wrestlemania said:
Because it's easier to do?
I fail to see how this game is going to help their terrible online selection in any meaningful way, nor do I see how it will help generate some positive indication of them taking things more seriously for the sake of their online future. It's easy, yes...but that just shows how bullshit this whole operation is at this point. It's unfortunately taking over right where the virtual console release schedule left off. Hell, I can't even buy TwinFuckingBee without spending more money on points than the game actually costs!

Mafro said:
Nintendo really are trolling hard with their 3D "classics" choices.
Extremely. Just drop a few games that everyone is begging and pleading to give you money for, then fill in the cracks with games like this. This would help promote the service more positively while filling your massive cash vault even more. Seems like a win/win, so there has to be something I'm not seeing here. It seems simple enough :^/

A Black Falcon said:
Not sure if it was from the same people, but yes, Zero Racers had a very similar graphical style. It was cancelled pretty much complete, along with Bound High and Dragon Hopper (both also pretty much done), because Nintendo decided to can the VB instead of trying to keep it alive.

Zero Racers looked pretty cool, I still would love to try playing it someday... :(
i remember those games getting cancelled....a tear dots my eye

Boney

Banned
abstract alien said:
I fail to see how this game is going to help their terrible online selection in any meaningful way, nor do I see how it will help generate some positive indication of them taking things more seriously for the sake of their online future. It's easy, yes...but that just shows how bullshit this whole operation is at this point. It's unfortunately taking over right where the virtual console release schedule left off. Hell, I can't even buy TwinFuckingBee without spending more money on points than the game actually costs!
After Urban Champion, this actually lifted my spirits.

Pretty sad.

Ramune

mclem said:
To not even be vaguely aware of TwinBee is to not be familiar with Parodius. And to not be familiar with Parodius is living a life without joy.

msmeow.jpg

Top Bottom