• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D N64/PS1/Saturn games that still look good

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Personally don't think any of these look great except some n64 cartoony style games. 2D and cartoony games age much better, 3d look horrible after just a few years.

Freddo

Threads%20Of%20Fate-PSX-NTSC-ENG.jpg
Agreed, love that game, sure wish it was on EU PSN (together with Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Xenogears and all the other missing Square games).

I'll exclude games like FFVIII and IX because so much of what makes them look good is pre-rendered. So for my real answer I'll say Ape Escape:

Ape%20Escape-PSX-(Paradox%20Patch%20PAL%20NTSC).jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
System 11 represent!

Didn't System 11 use PS1 hardware?

Yep, S11 was straight PS1 tech. System 12 had a faster cpu so games like Tekken 3 had to be pared down a bit. SoulCalibur was also a PS1 based game in arcades, then it got up-ported to DC.

iMerc

a lot of the images being used in this thread display much cleaner & higher resolution images than what we actually saw on a regular tv screen back when gaming in the mid nineties.

c'mon guys, as good as some of these games look, a lot of these pictures are NOT accurate representation of the actual games themselves running on their native systems.

here's what CBFD looks more like in native res:

0.jpg

threads of fate, for ex, looks more like this:
threadsfinal2.jpg

and less like this:
25152-threads-of-fate-playstation-screenshot-fighting-both-a-pollywog.jpg

:)

Quake. Obviously not as good as the PC version, but very impressive considering it's the Saturn, a console not known for 3D games.

I also think Powerslave and Doom 64 look quite ace, although those are using 2D sprites in a 3D world (well, pseudo-3D, at least in Doom's case), so it's a bit more debatable how much they count.

I still think Spyro the Dragon looks quite good, even in our modern era. Very smart, simple art direction goes a long way here. It's quite nice how they made the sky out of untextured polygons, instead tinting the vertices so it would scale up to HD resolutions without skipping a beat.
Love the look of that Saturn Quake video you posted.

Khaz

Giant robots destruction: Virtual On

virtualon-saturn1a.jpg
virtualon-saturn2a.jpg

As usual it looks and feels way better in motion and with the pad in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCwmnppqfiQ

And the most important part: that thing is still a blast to play. So much fun.
There is an arcade perfect version for the PS2 (Japan only) if you want a better polycount and dualstick goodness.

Peagles

a lot of the images being used in this thread display much cleaner & higher resolution images than what we actually saw on a regular tv screen back when gaming in the mid nineties.

c'mon guys, as good as some of these games look, a lot of these pictures are NOT accurate representation of the actual games themselves running on their native systems.

here's what CBFD looks more like in native res:

0.jpg

Woo RF Defence Force!

Based on what I've seen in this thread, I'd say it's a toss up between Crash, Spyro & Banjo.

I think the pre-rendered look of Resident Evil 3 & Final Fantasy VII has held up fantastically well though. That Mako Reactor gif looks stunning.

nkarafo

Seriously though... Conker's shadow!

Just look at this thing. A real time shadow that projects itself not only on the floor but on walls as well. Jet Force Gemini also had a similar effect but not quite as good. Is there any game that does that on PS1/SAT?

Khaz

Based on what I've seen in this thread, I'd say it's a toss up between Crash, Spyro & Banjo.

I think the pre-rendered look of Resident Evil 3 & Final Fantasy VII has held up fantastically well though. That Mako Reactor gif looks stunning.

Prerendered stuff still holds well as long as it's presented on their original resolution (ie tiny) or with the proper display (CRT). Our modern high resolution LCD screens have killed the beauty in the prerendered stuff.

A game like The Longest Journey (PC,1998) has like the most beautiful prerendered background ever. It was gorgeous at the time, it's still is if using a CRT monitor set as 640x480 and would probably look on par with modern games on the same display and resolution thanks to that prerendering (model polycount isn't very good though). But on modern LCD screens and resolution? The game looks like shit. scaled pixels everywhere, when it's not blurry it's jaggy. The crappiness that is LCD display and its fixed resolution (different for every screen) meant the death of prerendered backgrounds. Unless the game is full 3D rendering at whatever resolution the display uses, it will look like crap.

Tain

Giant robots destruction: Virtual On

virtualon-saturn1a.jpg
virtualon-saturn2a.jpg

As usual it looks and feels way better in motion and with the pad in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCwmnppqfiQ

And the most important part: that thing is still a blast to play. So much fun.
There is an arcade perfect version for the PS2 (Japan only) if you want a better polycount and dualstick goodness.

PS2/PS3/360 versions are also way closer to the arcade version mechanically. The Saturn port is hard to recommend these days, I think, but it's a nice port from a technical perspective given the hardware.

WillyFive

Floating Runner still looks great due to running at 60 fps. I believe it's the only 3D platformer from that console generation to do so.
Watch the video on this page and be blown away by the smoothness.

I never considered smoothness to be that important in that generation, since there wasn't enough detail in the images to even make a smooth framerate a necessity. You could easily keep track of things happening on screen despite a lower framerate, because it was simply harder to lose things.

rjc571

Banned
I never considered smoothness to be that important in that generation, since there wasn't enough detail in the images to even make a smooth framerate a necessity. You could easily keep track of things happening on screen despite a lower framerate, because it was simply harder to lose things.

Well I strongly disagree. I think even simple undetailed 3D graphics look great when running at a high framerate, compared to moderately detailed graphics running at a lower framerate. I would take F-Zero X at 60 fps every day over Ridge Racer 4 at 30, as well.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's always important to remember that old games pre-HD played on LCD or Plasma will always look worse than you remember, because they actually do look worse because these games weren't meant to be played on hdtv's that don't scale well and don't have scan lines. Using a SDTV and capturing the image is always the best way to get a true representation, but a lot of times that actual clarity of the image can't be caught because you are taking an image of an image.

Man, a full Sonic game like this would have been way better than what Sonic Xtreme would have been.
Dunno; Xtreme was really innovative for what they were trying to do. Also w/ its format the stages would've been tighter paced and structured (just by the nature 2D games tend to be, Xtreme would've been 2.5D like a Klonoa or Tomba 2 in that way).

Anyway, I don't think I've got much that hasn't already been said, but I'll try:

galerians_003.jpg

galer117.jpg

Galerians

powerslave5.jpg

Powerslave

GS-9047_2,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-2-Sega-Rally-Championship-JPN.jpg

Sega Rally Championship (don't know if it's already been mentioned, trying to avoid obvious choices)

215456.png

Omega Boost

280263-um-jammer-lammy-playstation-screenshot-lammy-meets-her-teachers.jpg

UmJammer Lammy (can't decide if it fits "2D" more than "3D")

0.jpg

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters

virtualonpc-1.jpg

Virtual On

Branduil

here's what CBFD looks more like in native res:)

The games had macroblocking and .jpg artifacts at their native res?

sörine

Banned
PS2/PS3/360 versions are also way closer to the arcade version mechanically. The Saturn port is hard to recommend these days, I think, but it's a nice port from a technical perspective given the hardware.
I thought those were the arcade version? PS2/PS3/360 being just the emulated Model 2 original.

Top Bottom