• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Scan your gaming area for enhancing gameplay

onQ123

Not a fully detailed scan where it's keeping track of what's in your home but a rough scan where it locate your TV & seating area & measure the distance between the walls , ceiling & floor to create a virtual representation to use for enhancing your games.

I'm pretty sure they will do this for the 3D audio but what about view dependent rendering & tracking the controller in 3D space ?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
SpiritedCleanChimneyswift-size_restricted.gif

yurinka

To make a one time 3D audio callibration using sound to know the distance between the tv speakers and controller, or maybe (not sure if possible) even walls/ceiling/floor absolutely yes.

Something like an always on Kinect no. In fact, I think there won't be a PS5 camera, even for PSVR2.

In any case, I don't understand what the video has to do with PS5.

Last edited:
I don't see problem with one time scan that is opt in.

That said...I have my PS camera turned to the wall, when not using it.

Zannegan

There has to be a better way to do head-tracking 3D. I'm all for the tech, but I see no reason to let it "scan my living room" or what have you. There's also a limited benefit unless you have a large TV and you're mobile during gameplay. This might be cool for fishing, golfing, boxing, a sniping game, etc.; but for most things where you're reclining on a couch and playing with a regular controller, I just don't see it.

That said, after the New 3DS, I was really hoping to see something like this become standard on Nintendo's next handheld. They'd already done eye-tracking, the feature would be cheap and easy to add to both hardware and software, and you'd be a lot more likely to tilt and move a handheld screen then move your head around to look at your TV. It would have been so easy and would have had such a big visual impact, especially for 3rd person games. Alas, the Switch dumped its forward facing camera so no dice. Maybe the Switch 2 will make a different kind of glasses-free TV its gimmick, but I won't hold my breath.

EDIT: I'm glad you brought it up. I've been interested in head-tracking 3D since Johnny Chung Lee was doing his experiments with the the Wii. I'd like to see someone really go for it.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You mean like my denon receiver already does?

Of course I would...... that's sound system setup 101
Is your Denon receiver connected to the internet at all times, sending telemetry data to a company that's known for doing shifty and/or invasive things with said data it collects?

Mihos

Gold Member
Is your Denon receiver connected to the internet at all times, sending telemetry data to a company that's known for doing shifty and/or invasive things with said data it collects?

Yes, and also connects to my Echo speakers, all my streaming services, downloads firmware, SmartThings, my Harmony remote account,, etc, etc, etc

onQ123

There has to be a better way to do head-tracking 3D. I'm all for the tech, but I see no reason to let it "scan my living room" or what have you. There's also a limited benefit unless you have a large TV and you're mobile during gameplay. This might be cool for fishing, golfing, boxing, a sniping game, etc.; but for most things where you're reclining on a couch and playing with a regular controller, I just don't see it.

That said, after the New 3DS, I was really hoping to see something like this become standard on Nintendo's next handheld. They'd already done eye-tracking, the feature would be cheap and easy to add to both hardware and software, and you'd be a lot more likely to tilt and move a handheld screen then move your head around to look at your TV. It would have been so easy and would have had such a big visual impact, especially for 3rd person games. Alas, the Switch dumped its forward facing camera so no dice. Maybe the Switch 2 will make a different kind of glasses-free TV its gimmick, but I won't hold my breath.

EDIT: I'm glad you brought it up. I've been interested in head-tracking 3D since Johnny Chung Lee was doing his experiments with the the Wii. I'd like to see someone really go for it.

It can be useful for all games because they can use your distance from the TV & inverse kinematics for Foveated Rendering

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I am guessing it will be more than once as there are different seating positions usually in a living room and it will maybe setup for were you are sat in that instance

The Alien

Banned
Sounds like next gen's version of the kinect concerns from last gen. 😉

C'mon guys, if we cant trust a big company to scan our living room....who can we trust? I'm sure they have OUR best interest in mind cuz gaming.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'm fine with it, but I guess that I'll allow just for some games, and not for the console itself

Zannegan

It can be useful for all games because they can use your distance from the TV & inverse kinematics for Foveated Rendering
There's just no way.

I mean, it sounds awesome, but how could a mic array tell where on the screen you are looking? I'd believe that this could track the general position of your body in space (by tracking the controller), but how would it track your head, let alone your eyes? Even if there was a completely separate camera peripheral a la Kinect that sat by the TV, I still wouldn't believe that it could track your gaze with enough accuracy to do foveated rendering. They haven't even gotten that working with VR headsets yet, and those are strapped to your face, so the eye-tracking would be reasonably accurate.

onQ123

There's just no way.

I mean, it sounds awesome, but how could a mic array tell where on the screen you are looking? I'd believe that this could track the general position of your body in space (by tracking the controller), but how would it track your head, let alone your eyes? Even if there was a completely separate camera peripheral a la Kinect that sat by the TV, I still wouldn't believe that it could track your gaze with enough accuracy to do foveated rendering. They haven't even gotten that working with VR headsets yet, and those are strapped to your face, so the eye-tracking would be reasonably accurate.

By doing studies of how people view TVs from a certain distance make profiles let the user choose the profile that fit them & boom you have something to work with that can lower the rendering budget while not losing visual quality

Zannegan

By doing studies of how people view TVs from a certain distance make profiles let the user choose the profile that fit them & boom you have something to work with that can lower the rendering budget while not losing visual quality
So, not eye-tracking, per se, just lowering the resolution to what Apple would call "retina" levels to save on the rendering budget? That could work if the system also knew the size of the screen, but I doubt you'd have people voluntarily cutting their resolutions, not with the way people are arguing about the relative strengths of the PS5/XSX already and which will be able to do true 4K. And doesn't running at a higher resolution, even if you "can't see the difference with the naked eye," cut down on shimmering/jaggies?

Personally, I'm more interested in the machine-learning driven upscaling that NVidia's been demoing. With that, you get all the benefits of dropping the resolution without having to sacrifice actual pixels. Barring that, just letting people choose between image quality and performance modes (without all the invasive scanning/study) seems like a much simpler solution.

I dunno, scanning the room to determine optimal resolution for your viewing distance just seems like a lot of work for very little benefit (and one that many wouldn't appreciate).

Last edited:

onQ123

So, not eye-tracking, per se, just lowering the resolution to what Apple would call "retina" levels to save on the rendering budget? That could work if the system also knew the size of the screen, but I doubt you'd have people voluntarily cutting their resolutions, not with the way people are arguing about the relative strengths of the PS5/XSX already and which will be able to do true 4K. And doesn't running at a higher resolution, even if you "can't see the difference with the naked eye," cut down on shimmering/jaggies?

Personally, I'm more interested in the machine-learning driven upscaling that NVidia's been demoing. With that, you get all the benefits of dropping the resolution without having to sacrifice actual pixels. Barring that, just letting people choose between image quality and performance modes (without all the invasive scanning/study) seems like a much simpler solution.

I dunno, scanning the room to determine optimal resolution for your viewing distance just seems like a lot of work for very little benefit (and one that many wouldn't appreciate).

The aim is to put more detail where it's useful

we are talking about Sony not MS, Google or Facebook that invest a lot in this, a speaker and mic array can give you a position of objects not a very accurate image of face features, written text, body shape and thermal data of a person like cameras can do, it can be invasive if they record what you say but scanning the room for the position of objects is not invasive because doesn't collect useful data

Last edited:

LostDonkey

first thing I do when I get the new pad is muting the fucker. if that doesn't work I'll cram mash potato in it's Mic

then I'll laugh really loud even though it can't hear me

Last edited:

Jesb

I actually assumed vr was already doing this, I don’t really see it being necessary to be honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom