• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Scan your gaming area for enhancing gameplay

DrAspirino

Banned
Most good audio setups have been doing this for many, many years.
Except that most of them aren't connected to their manufacturer server 24/7 and explicitly tells you what the connection to the network is used for. You can monitor their activity on your router (if you have a good one) and see that it doesn't "phone home", unlike what a console does.

baphomet

Except that most of them aren't connected to their manufacturer server 24/7 and explicitly tells you what the connection to the network is used for. You can monitor their activity on your router (if you have a good one) and see that it doesn't "phone home", unlike what a console does.

Do you understand the miniscule amount of information an audio/mic scan could tell anyone? You wouldn't even know the size of the room, let alone the shape of the room.

Yet people here seem to think Sony is somehow getting a fucking high res picture of your house.

DrAspirino

Banned
Do you understand the miniscule amount of information an audio/mic scan could tell anyone? You wouldn't even know the size of the room, let alone the shape of the room.

Yet people here seem to think Sony is somehow getting a fucking high res picture of your house.
That's not the issue here. The issue is granting Sony access to the microphone. Sony, much like Microsoft and Nintendo, constantly monitor what players do on their consoles. There's enough of monitoring on their part while we're gaming for them to even listen to us without our permission, even when we're not gaming and the console is on "stand-by" mode.

Call me paranoid, but I already have a cover for the webcam in my laptop and tape in the microphones. I leave my cellphone in my room while I go dining with my family (and we all do that) so we don't risk family conversations being overheard by anyone.

The video isnt related. This is done with a camera to check your eyes.

This isnt new. Most high end systems already do this without even telling you. All they need is a microphone. They measure how long takes sound to reach your mic and at what strength. To make a audio model of your space.

What sony wants to do with headphones, they might need headphones that have some kind of scanner?

onQ123

Can a mod change my thread title back to my original title now

QHrm42t.png

Last edited:
Pfft, take a look into WiFi 3D mapping. Shit is going to take off big time over the next 5-10 years. Literally mapping interiors based on WiFi signals. Fairly accurate already too e.g. width from wall to table is 1.5m away. Gaming will inherit the tech once it's accessible via routers/phones/consoles. Some weird AR/VR stuff incoming I'm sure.

onesvenus

I think I'm missing something.

Foveated rendering works in VR because the display is so close to your eyes that some resolution is being "wasted" by being displayed on the peripheral vision area where humans can't see really well. In that case it makes sense to drop resolution in that area so power is not wasted.

Playing on a TV from your sofa is a completely different matter though. In normal conditions the TV will be in the zone gazed by the fovea 90% of the time. If you use foveated rendering on something that's completely in the fovea region, where everything you see is sharp, you are decreasing the quality of the image you are seeing and not taking advantage of how the eye works.

When reading text, the action where the fovea is more focused, gives a perception bound of 20 degrees. This means that changes outside those degrees are not perceived and everything there can be lower res without you noticing. If you are 2m away from your TV set, that gives us a region of 27 inches where everything needs to be at the highest resolution possible. This may give the idea of doing foveated rendering as something that can be done but perception of shape is 60 degrees from the center so that gives us 68 inches. This means that you are perceiving shape changes in all TV sets below 68 inches when looking at it from a 2m distance. Color and motion changes are perceived even on larger angles.

Another thing to take into consideration is the resolution of the position that could be determined by the array of mics. Array of mics are very good at detecting sound directionality but not really good at pinpointing locations. The best papers I found say that they can give you a ~30 degree estimation.

TLDR: it's almost impossible to do foveated rendering as the OP is suggesting without noticing loses in image quality

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
SEriously, if there was a camera like trackir on top ov every tv or monitor, games could be so much more 3d

onQ123

Using direction of arrival with unique audio signature for object location detection

Abstract
Multiple independently movable devices are located upon a platform. On the platform is a directional microphone array. Each of the movable devices is assigned a unique audio signature, which may be a pulse train of chirps or a pseudo random signal or some other audio sequence that is unique to the respective device. Each movable device announces itself with its unique audio signature, and the platform's directional microphone system determines the location from which the unique audio signature comes from. For range, a difference between the time of flight (TOF) of the light relative to the sound signature is used. As another technique a unique audio signature may be an audio water mark concealed in normal audio which may be emitted by the movable device. The watermark provides the identifying information of each movable device.

What is claimed is:

1. A device comprising: at least one processor configured with instructions to: receive, via at least one sound sensor, respective sound signals emitted by respective movable objects in an environment, each sound signal establishing a respective audio signature unique to the respective moveable object; identify each of the movable objects based at least in part on at least one unique characteristic in the respective sound signal; and determine at least a bearing to each of the movable objects based at least in part on the respective sound signals, wherein at least one of the sound signals comprises a pseudo random sonic signal that is unique to the respective device.

onQ123

Mods changed the title of my thread but it was about using the mic & speakers of the controller to scan your room so it will know where your TV is & so on & the DualSense motion sensing demo got me wondering if they used the mic & speakers to track the tv because how the hell the DualSense know where your TV is? (unless there is some setup at the beginning of the game or something)

Keihart

Mods changed the title of my thread but it was about using the mic & speakers of the controller to scan your room so it will know where your TV is & so on & the DualSense motion sensing demo got me wondering if they used the mic & speakers to track the tv because how the hell the DualSense know where your TV is? (unless there is some setup at the beginning of the game or something)

I think this is "just" prediction algorithms, there is some serious predictions going on in motion controls in VR now, it's leaps and bound what it used to be. I would bet that some of that it's being used on the Dual Sense, you can see in the video how after jerking the controller too much it get's confused but then resets and continues to track. It's something similar to how inside out VR setups can keep track of controllers behind you to some degree and how even PSVR can to some extent when you turn.

Last edited:

onQ123

I think this is "just" prediction algorithms, there is some serious predictions going on in motion controls in VR now, it's leaps and bound what it used to be. I would bet that some of that it's being used on the Dual Sense, you can see in the video how after jerking the controller too much it get's confused but then resets and continues to track. It's something similar to how inside out VR setups can keep track of controllers behind you to some degree and how even PSVR can to some extent when you turn.

I'm talking about the fact that they know which way to show the controller pointing on your TV , for them to do that they need to know which way the tv is set up. maybe they have a set up where you line the controller up with a onscreen controller or something.

Keihart

I'm talking about the fact that they know which way to show the controller pointing on your TV , for them to do that they need to know which way the tv is set up. maybe they have a set up where you line the controller up with a onscreen controller or something.
I think they are doing a lot of assumptions, for example, the starting position. You should know in which position the control starts.

jaysius

Banned
That's not the issue here. The issue is granting Sony access to the microphone. Sony, much like Microsoft and Nintendo, constantly monitor what players do on their consoles. There's enough of monitoring on their part while we're gaming for them to even listen to us without our permission, even when we're not gaming and the console is on "stand-by" mode.

Call me paranoid, but I already have a cover for the webcam in my laptop and tape in the microphones. I leave my cellphone in my room while I go dining with my family (and we all do that) so we don't risk family conversations being overheard by anyone.

You can put away your tinfoil hat, no human is actually LISTENING to your conversation unless it's exceptional and outside of what they've already heard in human speech patterns. These open mics are parsing key words, for all kinds of things, like selling you shit and human speech patterns to sell to AI companies and psychology marketing. 90% of the conversations are simply processed by programs, I highly doubt you're having a conversation that is that "special", they've been doing this for over a decade(or longer) now, they've heard it ALL already.

I do get that's it's a privacy concern, but it's a thing people will have to adapt to it's never going away, it's the "price" of technology with a microphone, I'm sure it's built into these companies business models that they're making X dollars off of selling all the metadata they're gleaming from all the open mics.

To think that your conversations are so exceptional that you don't have them around cellphones... that goes beyond paranoid, unless you're talking about matters of national security with your family.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
To think that your conversations are so exceptional that you don't have them around cellphones... that goes beyond paranoid, unless you're talking about matters of national security with your family.
Let's just say that where I live, the government has disappeared people for as little as taking pictures during a protest or partaking into local community organizations (cabildo) in talks about the new constitution. And yes, I'm also paranoid because BY LAW my job for the government requires me to have a private life that is "decent and according to the dignity of the job".

You haven't lived in an authoritarian state, haven't you? :pie_zipper:

jaysius

Banned
Let's just say that where I live, the government has disappeared people for as little as taking pictures during a protest or partaking into local community organizations (cabildo) in talks about the new constitution. And yes, I'm also paranoid because BY LAW my job for the government requires me to have a private life that is "decent and according to the dignity of the job".

You haven't lived in an authoritarian state, haven't you? :pie_zipper:

I didn't think of those type of countries in my narrow mindset of visitors to this site.

Still no one human is listening, although I guess their bots are probably more strict for keywords to further analyze conversations manually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom