• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Space Harrier coming to 3DS

Takao

Banned
■スペースハリアーⅡ ~スペースハリアーコンプリートコレクション~

メーカー:セガ
ジャンル:シューティング
販売価格:800円(税込)

GbYSX.jpg

セガを代表する名作3Dシューティング「スペースハリアー」シリーズ全作を、まとめて収録したソフトが登場! 初代アーケード版+セガ・マークIII移植版に加え、立体映像でプレイできたセガ・マークIII用『スペースハリアー3D』、メガドライブ版『スペースハリアーII』の続編2作も収録。アーケード版のスーパーリプレイ、当時の取扱説明書や資料を収録したギャラリーなど、「スペースハリアー」シリーズの歴史を網羅した1本。

Some Space Harrier 2 thing is coming to Japanese PS2 Classics alongside Katamari, Gacha Recording, and The Covenant that Dominated the Town 3.

http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20121121_archives.html

*last two games may not be a good translation, thank yuu google.

GbYSX.jpg

セガを代表する名作3Dシューティング「スペースハリアー」シリーズ全作を、まとめて収録したソフトが登場! 初代アーケード版+セガ・マークIII移植版に加え、立体映像でプレイできたセガ・マークIII用『スペースハリアー3D』、メガドライブ版『スペースハリアーII』の続編2作も収録。アーケード版のスーパーリプレイ、当時の取扱説明書や資料を収録したギャラリーなど、「スペースハリアー」シリーズの歴史を網羅した1本。

Some Space Harrier 2 thing is coming to Japanese PS2 Classics alongside Katamari, Gacha Recording, and The Covenant that Dominated the Town 3.

Yep, it's another one of the awesome SEGA Ages releases.

2tgYp.jpg

One of the game I remember most from my childhood. Great!

I was blown away by the 3D at the time (well until my eyes finally gave up!) and remember the game fondly. I would probably pick this up if it is reasonably priced.

Just for the memories mind you, the actual game was terrible and to be honest no way I'd put more than 5 or 10 minutes into it unless it is seriously upgraded.

Fabrik

Banned
Wow!

I would love if they made an Outrun 3D Classic based on the PS2 Ages version. That would made me seriously consider a 3DS.

Me too! Except I already have a 3DS. Hopefully it makes Nintendo convert their 16bit classics too. Super Metroid 3D, Yoshi's Island 3D, Super Mario Kart 3D need to happen. I hope they haven't stopped because of lackluster sales because 16bit conversions would be way more popular.

IrishNinja

I'm still waiting for people to catch on that SEGA has been doing a lot of good lately. Too many still think of them back in the mid-2000s, which was an extreme lowpoint for them. However, they've had a pretty good stride going on ever since 2008 and been getting progressively better, taking a lot of risks before their budget got into trouble (including publishing the Platinum games or Hyperdimension Neptunia, things like Valkyria Chronicles and Binary Domain, and the like), been doing fantastically on the digital front, and the core series of theirs have had a raise in quality recently (yes, even Sonic). They also have been using an excellent pricing strategy, with games like Sonic Generations, All-Stars Racing Transformed, Tekken, etc., all priced excellently and lower than the norm despite all being quality titles.

I'm really hoping the 'SEGA is a terrible company' stigma wears off soon.

+1 so hard, excellent post. huge Yakuza fan here but you covered all the other bases as well, we should really do a thread about this sometime to help lay this meme to rest.

it'll be invaded by a) clowns who havent heard of Yu Suzuki and b) clowns who think sega sucks until their favorite mid-90s game/franchise sees a sequel by an entirely different team, but those people should be ignored anyway.

It will wear off when Nintendo stops being doomed.

i forget how far back that one goes...N64 era? i wonder how much overlap there actually is.

Quartet 3D?

oh wow, totally forgot about that game

Yes Boss!

Yes they do. I swear to you it's not as easy as you think. They have to comply with the function of the depth slider, for one thing.

I meant extreme graphical tricks like having Excite Bike shift perspective as 3D is ramped up. Cool effects but, come on, more modest ports are quicker. Of course it takes time and effort. Similarly, you always here the "rom dump" thing for VC, but those things take time to be tested, emulated, certified.

This game and Atari's S.T.U.N. Runner were probably the most mind-blowing arcade games back then.

Epcott

The day they release 3D versions of an online multiplayer Power Drift, Galaxy Force, and Thunderblade is the day I re-buy a 3DS.

Tizoc

GbYSX.jpg

Space Harrier 2 was for the Genesis right?

wondermega

I meant extreme graphical tricks like having Excite Bike shift perspective as 3D is ramped up. Cool effects but, come on, more modest ports are quicker. Of course it takes time and effort. Similarly, you always here the "rom dump" thing for VC, but those things take time to be tested, emulated, certified.

This game and Atari's S.T.U.N. Runner were probably the most mind-blowing arcade games back then.

I don't think it's as easy as "modest port," I think the whole point has to do with the 3D slider. Never minding the "stretch effect" gimmick they used in Excitebike, the slider is supposed to accommodate the fact that people see 3D differently from one another with their technique (and thus why they included the slider at all, so you could adjust to what is comfortable for you). In fact, some 3D classics games (Xevious) even have extra depth settings built into their options on top of this. I realize much of the 3D presentation (eStore, etc) is pretty "binary" - all on, or all off - but I suspect that it must be a difference between static images and gameplay.

Anyway, the point is to start with programming and testing all of the depth for every element of these games, it's probably differently complicated depending on the complexity of the game (like I was saying earlier, there might be games which have to be seriously rebuilt to deal with this - lost source code, old very specific techniques, etc) where they can't necessarily throw it through a pipeline/engine like they'd have when putting a new game through such a system (and designing it that way from the ground up).

Somewhat unrelated, but here (podcast interview - blog posts) is a modern-day programmer discussing the undertaking of "converting" OG Prince of Persia (Apple II) to run on C64 hardware; and even for such a relatively "primitive" game and with so many great tools/docs available, it quickly becomes clear how much of a pain in the ass such a project truly can be.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is such a killer app. I've been hoping Sega would put Space Harrier on the 3DS since the 3DS was announced. If I didn't already have one I'd be buying right now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, no kidding. In the past year alone, they've re-released Daytona USA, NiGHTS, a competent HD version of Sonic Adventure 2, the definitive version of Sonic CD, a fully english translated version of Monster World IV on all of the three digital console marketplaces, Jet Set Radio, and now this, complete with Sonic the Fighters' previously incomplete content being fixed up.

Hard to believe they kicked this gen off with terrible Backbone developed ports.

Well they actually started off last gen with great M2 ports on the Wii.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This game was so wild! I think this on MS was my (or better my parent's) second game purchase ever.

Was one of the first games I bought for my SMS back in the day. And Space Harrier II was one of the first Genesis games I bought.

Still prefer the SMS version though.

I remember reading some kids magazine from the 80's that had a cool little easter egg for the SMS version that turned your character into a ship of some sort. Always thought that was neat, but I hardly ever used it. There's just something insanely awesome about running/flying around a world as a regular looking dude carrying a giant cannon.

DoubleTap

Incredible news! Will definitely be buying this. Hopefully they'll eventually release everything on the Sega Arcade Gallery for the GBA.

Here are some other classic arcade Sega goodies:

fz-arcade.png

afterburner-7.png

outrun-3.png

All the arcade originals, only Outrun of these had a 3D SMS version. Didn't see one for Afterburner.

Top Bottom