• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DMark can tell you if your PC is good enough for Oculus Rift

I thought I'd make this thread for those interested in the Rift, and what with pre-orders beginning on Wednesday at 8 am PST I'm sure there's a few people on the fence on whether to buy in, and not just on price. Namely, can their systems handle it, an all too often asked question over at r/oculus.

Yesterday a post on reddit made mention that the Firestrike 1.1 demo included with 3DMark provides an Oculus approved benchmark for whether your PC meets the demands of the Rift. You can get a free demo of the program on Steam that includes Firestrike here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/
woqHGpn.jpg

Palmer clarified a score over 9,000 on this benchmark should be a good indication whether your PC will be able to drive all experiences at the required 90 fps for the Rift, despite a score of 9271 being the number given by 3DMark. Note that these are only referring to those apps available through Oculus Home, their digital distribution platform. Games, demos, and experiences released outside of this obviously do not have this restriction and could potentially require higher than the system requirements laid out by Oculus themselves, which are as follows:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Hopefully this has been helpful for those wary about whether their system can handle the requirements, its certainly nice to have some numbers to allay any concerns.

Also, here is what the bench results screen looks like, it should open a browser page to show your score once complete but it may be different for demo vs full version:

qkEawVY.jpg

duhmetree

I'm looking to build one soon. Just waiting for AMD to release their top end products this year. Hopefully it puts me close to 20,000. Might have to wait until Q3-Q4

I was going to get a PSVR but I now feel, PC is the way to go.

Sale ended a few hours ago and it's £18.99 now ($25?)

I tried to run the demo earlier on my pc but for some reason it completely froze it the second I clicked run.

I know I won't score over 9000 (i5 4670k and r9 280x) but I wanted to see how much I'd need to upgrade by. :p

Weird I just saw it as still marked down, thanks for letting me know will update.

harSon

Banned
I have an Intel Core i5-4690K, 16GB ram and Geforce GTX 970 and my computer has ran everything Oculus Rift DK2 related that I've thrown at it without a hitch. I built it with VR in mind back in May of last year.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sale ended a few hours ago and it's £18.99 now ($25?)

I tried to run the demo earlier on my pc but for some reason it completely froze it the second I clicked run.

I know I won't score over 9000 (i5 4670k and r9 280x) but I wanted to see how much I'd need to upgrade by. :p
280x not good enough? I have that as well. Jeeez :(

ubercheez

Vegeta! What does the scouter say about my PC?

...Nah, I don't need to run it to know I don't hit that mark. I've pretty much been waiting on the VR systems to drop to do a system upgrade though. The video card is the real stumbling point. Seems like those high-end cards haven't dropped much in price.

Luigi87

Not even close!

My near six year old system, around 5400 before overclocks and RAM upgrade, after those... 7741, so not even breaking 8k, let alone 9k, lol
... I actually can break 8k, but everything would run like 85 degrees, so that's not happening <_<

Thanks OP for the tip. Looks like I'm in okay shape. Also, jesus at the 4k requirements. I have a decent machine, but am still 2k short of the 4k score.

ZKNVkHP.png

"Didn't this use to be free?"

3Dmark has never been free. They've always had a demo version that allowed you to run the benchmark without any options and without the ability to upload your scores to their community website, which is still the case.

Thanks OP for the tip. Looks like I'm in okay shape. Also, jesus at the 4k requirements. I have a decent machine, but am still 2k short of the 4k score.

ZKNVkHP.png

Cool, thanks. Saved me 25 bucks! I've only got an i5 6600 too, so my numbers will be lower, but should be fairly close.

edit:

I didnt even notice the demo. I will download it and run it! thanks.

yatesl

For some reason my PC crapped the bed on combined with 5fps and got a score of 4000 despite being a 4670k and 970, but an older score from April was 9505 so I should be fine.

dorn.

Got ~2700 on a 3570k and 6950 2gb, I expected it to be low but not that low. Guess I can't wait it out for 14nm.

But i'm buying two pascal cards as soon they get released

Great score with those 780ti's!

I need to upgrade my CPU sometime, even with it being a 3570K it still holds back cards so much. Upping my overclock from 4.2 to 4.5 gave me an additional 900 points on graphics score with my SLi 980s from 30409 to 31315. I wonder what extra room is available for that portion of the benchmark if I had a stronger CPU in the mix.

Justinh

just regular-ass Fire Strike? Yeah, I should be good then.
I stopped overclocking back in the early Witcher 3 days though and I don't even know if I still have PrecisionX or Afterburner still installed.

edit: yeah cool
LAizkvQ.jpg

y u no valid?

I wish they broke down the recommended score based on resolution as the free version of firestrike is stuck at 1080p even though I play at 1440p. 9K is a cake walk for a 980ti but 1440p could be a different story

Top Bottom