• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS battery life - 3-to-5 hrs for 3DS games; 3.5hr to charge[Various Realworld Tests]

Kind of disappointed. Nowhere near the advertised "as good as DSi" battery life. Hell, the chips are even underclocked too.. they may as well go the whole way and make that sucker last 3 hours with better looking games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damn.... .. ...
but since i play mostly at home, it wont bother me too much.

How is that even possible?

I don't understand why Nintendo is releasing a $250-300 handheld with shit battery. Did they forget the last 5 years?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
In a way it's expected because the hardware is very powerful but I honestly never thought I'd see Nintendo releasing a handheld with that kind of battery life.

Amir0x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

I don't understand why Nintendo is releasing a $250-300 handheld with shit battery. Did they forget the last 5 years?

There's a lot of things about 3DS that suggest Nintendo sorta missed some of the reasons why their DS is so successful.

On the other hand, I'm really happy about most of what 3DS offers. But even I expected like 6 hours. This is seriously bad.

PSP2 better use cartridges or the battery life is gonna be like 0.3 hours

Zeliard

That seems bad, and yet, it doesn't feel surprising at this stage, and even inevitable. I don't know the technical details but I assume the thing must take quite some power to run.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What?

This has always been the area where Nintendo get it *just right* in a portable. What the hell happened?

jiggles

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So what are we talking here? 3DS games on full brightness with WiFi on? That's PSP-level terribad.

It seems like it's a best-case, with it becoming even less if you have everything turned up and on, if Google Translate is accurate.

I don't know about you guys, but as new info come out, more and more I feel like this is the forbidden child of DS and PSP.:lol

btw, if 3DS battery is that bad, I can't imagine how it's going to be for PSP2 with supposedly a much better graphic and higher resolution too. is this the limit for battery technology, or Nintendo is being cheap for their battery here?

EmCeeGramr said:

hubris, baby. hubris.

hopefully they don't actually say "TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE DOLLARS"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So what are we talking here? 3DS games on full brightness with WiFi on? That's PSP-level terribad.

Doesn't mention wifi. My read based on the 'varies with screen brightness' bit on the webpage is that 3-5 is the range depending on brightness.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:

Battery is 1300 mAh.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Stitch said:
so it's like my iPod

I use my iPod Touch very frequently from dawn til dusk and rarely do I have to recharge it before I get back home (admittedly I keep the brightness in the lowest setting).

EmCeeGramr said:

Nintendo is the new Sony. They are becoming arrogant, and they will be humbled.

Callibretto said:
I don't know about you guys, but as new info come out, more and more I feel like this is the forbidden child of DS and PSP.:lol

btw, if 3DS battery is that bad, I can't imagine how it's going to be for PSP2 with supposedly a much better graphic and higher resolution too. is this the limit for battery technology, or Nintendo is being cheap for their battery here?

Its the best battery they've ever put in a handheld...

my only thought is that this has to be worst case. Especially 3 hours. I imagine that's full screen brightness, 3d on, tilt sensor tracking, and online or wireless play, on a particularly intensive game. 5 hours is more acceptable... I tend to either play these things plugged in at home or on the train/bus to work (which is short). If I'm commuting long distance, modern trains have charge points, so again, not an issue.

It wouldn't surprise me if they start selling spare batteries.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Regulus Tera said:
I use my iPod Touch very frequently from dawn til dusk and rarely do I have to recharge it before I get back home (admittedly I keep the brightness in the lowest setting).

you don't use it very frequently to play games from dawn til dusk :p

Well, I'll mostly use it at home or on short subway rides. And it might be higher with Wi-Fi turned off.

But yeah, that's pretty indefensible.

still not cancelling my preorder

DonMigs85

Yeeouch that's bad! Maybe it was a good thing they didn't go with 333MHz ARM CPUs and a 166MHz GPU like I originally hoped.

KamenSenshi

I said wow. This is like the fisrt Nintendo handheld to have really poor battery life I think. Disappointing.

Shit, just noticed the charging time - shit is ridiculous. Nintendo, fuck cradles, I need micro USB up in this bitch so I can charge it in my vehicle!

Something doesn't add up there. The battery is twice the capacity of the NDS battery, and yet it gets less battery in NDS mode than the NDS?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Stumpokapow said:
you don't use it very frequently to play games from dawn til dusk :p

That's where the margin of error comes in.

It's like Nintendo forgot that their entire handheld line has always been based on inexpensive and durable technology that has a generous battery life. I wish Gunpei Yokoi were alive. :(

Top Bottom