• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Thread

Nintendo Zone - Depending on what region your 3DS is from, you might have a new icon on your main menu which allows you to download videos and demos from specific retailer wi-fi hotspots.
Go here to find a hotspot near you - http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/hotspot-locator

3D Video recording - This is under the camera icon where the pictures have always been. You can also start it by pressing the L and R buttons from the main menu.

QR Code scanning - In the camera application, there is now an icon you can press to scan QR codes. This is for regular QR codes and not Mii QR codes. When you scan them, you will be able to launch the 3DS web browser and go to the website.

System Transfer - You can now transfer all your games, saves, and settings from one 3DS to another. The option for this is under the System Settings menu.

Find Mii 2 - The sequel to Find Mii is now available to people who have already collected all the hats from Find Mii 1. Find Mii 2 will appear in the same menu where Find Mii 1 is. Find Mii 2 has a bunch of new hats including; Epona, ArWing, top hat, pirate hat, and many more.

New 3D Puzzles - The new puzzles are found in the same menu where the old puzzles were. The new puzzles are 24 or 40 pieces and have pieces you can only get from SpotPass. Some of the new puzzles include Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Star Fox 64 3D.

Accomplishments - Achievements specifically for Mii Plaza.

eShop Updates

- The eShop loads faster.

- You can now add the exact amount you need to buy something. You don't have to add funds to a wallet if you don't want to anymore.

- You can now save your credit card info to your system.

- You can now queue up to 10 downloads and download them through SpotPass while the system is in sleep mode.

- You can now redeem download codes. The option is under Settings/Other on the eShop.

- Downloadable demos are available now depending on what region your 3DS is from. Japan has demos right now. Maybe the rest of us will get demos on Thursday.

- Developers can now put DLC on the eShop. No DLC that I know of is available yet though.

FAQ

Q: Are Ambassador games and status transferred over with the System Transfer?
Yes.
Nintendo explains it all - http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/data_transfer.jsp

Q: Where is the messaging?
A: The messaging will come in the form of a downloadable application on the eShop called SwapNote. It's basically email for 3DS. It doesn't look like it will be available this week and I don't know when it will be available.

Q: Do all those Miis I got from Mario Kart 7 work with Mii Plaza games?
A: No.

Q: Where are my GBA games?
I keep mine in a shoe box under my bed. Err... They're coming by the end of the year.

Q: Fucking Nintendo, it's 2011!
For the rest of this month, it is 2011.

Let me know if there's anything else I should add and I will update this.

Majine

Banned
They need folders on the main menu. It's hard to make it not look like a mess when you have alot of stuff.

dc89

They need folders on the main menu. It's hard to make it not look like a mess when you have alot of stuff.

Kinda agree. I have triple the icons on the home screen of the 3DS than I do the Wii. I've had them both since day 1.

This.

It would help keeping the main menu a lot cleaner.

Let users create their own specific folders name them and give them a few premade icons to categorize them.

That would probably be my number one on a 3DS wishlist.

Kinda agree. I have triple the icons on the home screen of the 3DS than I do the Wii. I've had them both since day 1.

Same here, since I moved all of the VC and WiiWare stuff to the SD, that little SD button is my Folder for all Download Games. Makes navigating the main menu so much easier.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The best thing is the Streetpass Plaza content. They really added a lot of stuff, and it's cool that they've got Rhythm Heaven Fever as one of the puzzles. They could use it as a good promotional tool for upcoming games.

Nintendo Zone - Depending on what region your 3DS is from, you might have a new icon on your main menu which allows you to download videos and demos from specific retailer wi-fi hotspots. Best Buy is that retailer in the US right now.

Would 3DS systems from other regions be able to access their own Zone's content at a hotspot? :/

Rhod

Yeah, me too with the folders request. They should know by now that we are OCD when it comes to filing our virtual console games by system, separating our DSiWare from our 3DS Software, and putting the warnings icon somewhere other than just in the furthest corner away from where we look...

Rhod

The mii plaza additions are neat and surprisingly comprehensive. The map of where you have met people from is a really nice touch (I got lots of France and Italy at the Zelda concert, it seems, and I just need Scotland to clear the UK).

Would be nice to figure out how to get 3D videos on the thing. Been trying and encoding with all the 3D encoding software I have and no dice so far. So frustrating because it looks like it's in over/under format while everything else I record and encode with is SBS.

THAT LAST QUESTION ISN'T A QUESTION AAUAGUHGHGHhhndfl

you know what? all i did was complain about how the 3ds had no games and now that two of them are out, i'm too cheap. :(

Yeah, me too with the folders request. They should know by now that we are OCD when it comes to filing our virtual console games by system, separating our DSiWare from our 3DS Software, and putting the warnings icon somewhere other than just in the furthest corner away from where we look...

Seriously. I need folders.

But I'm quite happy with a Find Mii 2. Surprisingly addictive game.

The best thing is the Streetpass Plaza content. They really added a lot of stuff, and it's cool that they've got Rhythm Heaven Fever as one of the puzzles. They could use it as a good promotional tool for upcoming games.

Yeah, they could pack in a new puzzle with games as well (you buy a new game and a new puzzle is downloaded via spotpass) Like say you buy Mario Kart 7 and you get a puzzle of another upcoming Nintendo game and so on.

I kinda like the idea that you're now forced to get some of the puzzle pieces without play coins. This is going to make it a lot harder to get all the stuff.

Zomba13

Find Mii 2 - The sequel to Find Mii is now available to people who have already collected all the hats from Find Mii 1. Find Mii 2 will appear in the same menu where Find Mii 1 is. Find Mii 2 has a bunch of new hats including; Epona, R Wing, top hat, pirate hat, and many more.
Screw the 360 dashboard update this is the best OS update of the year.

I have all the NES ambassador games and about 3 dsi games. What annoys me is on boot up it takes about 3-5 seconds before all the games actually pop up on the menu system. No idea why. Hope this update speeds that up a bit.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Folders are my most wanted features. It's tied with wanting the e-Shop to let you zoom out to show multiple rows like you can with the 3ds main menu.

Rehynn

Are the new puzzles unlocked only once you've completed all the old ones? I can't seem to get that last fucking piece for the Pikmin puzzle-.-

Because someone bumped an old thread from last week when the update went live instead of making a new thread and then I decided to make a new thread with all the important info in the OP.

Its better to have all the info in a new, central place anyway, so thanks. Still stoked about purchasing at exact amounts. Shit is a megaton for me since I've boycotted the e-shop because of it. Was going to break when Switch Force released soon, but they did it lol

RpgN

Very awesome update, it added lots of improvements and the OS is even better now. I already like it a lot. This one is so minor but it makes things less frustrating:

- You can now add the exact amount you need to buy something. You don't have to add funds to a wallet if you don't want to anymore.

Lol, it feels like we're in 2005 to be happy about improvements that should be there, but at the end of the day, they're finally there. Also, it seems they tried harder with Streetpass, they've added a lot of things that weren't requested.

They still have some work cut out for them, I agree that it would be handy to create folders. And hopefully we'll get the messaging app soon.

-KRS-

I got the Mario Kart 7 puzzle. How many new puzzles are there exactly?
I know about Mario Kart, Mario 3D, OOT3D, Donkey Kong and Starfox. Are there others?

-KRS-

I have all the NES ambassador games and about 3 dsi games. What annoys me is on boot up it takes about 3-5 seconds before all the games actually pop up on the menu system. No idea why. Hope this update speeds that up a bit.

That's because it reads the games from the SD card as opposed to the internal memory. It could be sped up a little bit, but don't expect any wonders.

RpgN

And to the OP:

Wasn't it also possible to DL from the eshop while on sleepmode? I haven't tried it myself yet.

Izayoi

Banned
Wasn't there meant to be a separate messaging app in this update?
OP said:
FAQ

Q: I Where is the messaging?

A: The messaging will come in the form of a downloadable application on the eShop called SwapNote. It's basically email for 3DS. It doesn't look like it will be available this week and I don't know when it will be available.[/url]

-KRS-

Same update, same details, same discussion.
SMH.

It's good that there is an official thread for it though with all the details in the OP for anyone who perhaps just woke up and might have missed the details in the other thread. It's just more convenient than having to read through the entire thread. Sure, the other thread's OP could be updated but no one seemed to do it.

At some point the other thread should be locked though.

YYYYEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!

This update is all around awesome!

Streetpass Plaza update is amazing BTW! Soooo happy that they added an option to listen to the soundtrack, always was sad that I couldn't hear the old music after getting more people! Street Pass Quest 2 is already epic! The gameplay is quite different from the last one (very cool that you can recruit past encounters. I have 330 odd Miis ready and raring to go!) The achievement accomplishment for seeing 100 Miis in a single day is just nuts though, I'm never gonna be that lucky! There's a metric ton of new content and neat little touches (like the seasons changing as your character walks on the Puzzle Swap screen :D

Video recording quality is surprisingly good too. Seems better than the quality for pictures! We need a 3D video depository for viewing on the 3DS! (at least, until Youtube 3D inevitably arrives)

Also, the sleep mode downloads are VERY much appreciated! It's basically a background downloading queue (and yes it works even when playing a 3DS game) where it downloads a game while in sleep mode and pauses whenever you open it (you can see the download progress on the gift icon itself) It doesn't work when you're playing a game online though (so you can't be playing online in Mario Kart, put it in sleep mode and have it download in the background). It also doesn't work while playing an original DS/DSi game (Well DUUUHHH!!!)

BTW: I'm shocked that I've already met people from 20 different countries and I've filled in every region in the UK except for Wales and Northern Ireland! - didn't realise that I got so far already! :D

Other little things I've noticed.

StreetPass Plaza now saves all the Miis that are part of any online Community you add to your games (Currently only Mario Kart 7 supports this) They will not come with puzzle pieces though and cannot be used in StreetPass Quest

You can now do face merging on the 3DS menu, instead of having to load up the camera app. The QR code reader is there too (speaking of which, it doesn't recognise game specific QR codes. Just web sites and presumably eShop ones. Pretty stupid, it should prompt you to open up the game that the QR code is specific to)

There's a new section in the Data Management menu (3DS Settings) for Add on Content (so it's not counted as Extra Data)

The register friend button is now always accessible in the top right of the touch screen, regardless of where you are on your friends list

3DS loads up apps/games faster now (no little weird Wii style pauses any more!)

eShop loads up faster (and those weird little sound crackles that you'd sometimes get on the ratings screens are gone now :D )

The eShop game icons now display how many reviews a game has been given, alongside the star rating.

The game pages on the eShop have been redesigned slightly (everything is arranged in a line now and the screen scrolls left and right (probably because of the extra "demo" icon that will eventually appear there)

The "Available in Shops" text has been replaced with "Not available in Nintendo eShop"

You can now set a filter for the New Software arrivals screen (so you can just look at new DSiWare games, or just new VC games etc)

batbeg

Same update, same details, same discussion.
SMH.

I opened the other thread and saw it was old, and therefore assumed it was still just filled with people anticipating an update.

I opened this thread and what do you know, pertinent information.

Isn't it weird how it works like that??

Can you transfer ambassador status/games yet?

Yes. The 3DS to 3DS System Transfer moves over everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING)

SO I HAVE DONE THE SYSTEM TRANSFER AND CAN CONFIRM THAT IT IS AN EXACT TRANSFER FROM YOUR OLD 3DS TO YOUR NEW ONE!

All of my saved data, 3DS games, 3D trailers, virtual console games, NES games, and settings are there, including all the Mii Plaza stuff. It's all unchaged. Most importantly, the little Ambassador Program video icon is still there which I assume means those of us who transfer will still get the GBA games when that starts rolling out.

It even has my icons on the main menu in the size and order I originally had them on.

It seems like it does like when you do a Time Machine backup for a Mac where it restores all your settings, only your old 3DS get wiped in the process instead. Otherwise, it seems identical so far.

daffy

Banned
Honestly guys... This is a shit update. I don't care about any of this shit, I didn't care about the shitty free games, I don't care about shitty Find Your Mii 2, I won't care about shitty achievements for Professor Layton 3D, I just don't care! I just want party chat across regions, region free gaming, and online play that doesn't boink out after 3 games!

Lawl. And can I get a hot tub?

-KRS-

Honestly guys... This is a shit update. I don't care about any of this shit, I didn't care about the shitty free games, I don't care about shitty Find Your Mii 2, I won't care about shitty achievements for Professor Layton 3D, I just don't care! I just want party chat across regions, region free gaming, and online play that doesn't boink out after 3 games!

Lawl. And can I get a hot tub?

I think anyone who knows Nintendo's ways should know that this is just too much to ask from them by now. It would be awesome for sure, but I guess you just can't expect some of those things from Nintendo unfortunately. Online play that doesn't break is fine to expect though, and it should be expected from Nintendo. But cross-region party chat? Or even a chat at all for that matter. It's just too much to expect at this point :(

I just want party chat across regions, region free gaming, and online play that doesn't boink out after 3 games!

With you on the region lock, and I guess party chat would be good (though it's not something exclusively lacking on Nintendo systems) but the online in Mario Kart 7 has been flawless for me.

Top Bottom