• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3ds emulation on Android. It's here and it's playable.

Vorg

Banned
Latest release is now on weihuoya's github, so just get it from there.

So on a Note 9 I tried Mario 3D Land & Link Between Worlds. Both run at about 20FPS during gameplay so not quite playable. Not too sure if there are any options I can change to make it run faster. Maybe on a Note 10 it'll do the needed 60FPS.

Those are 30 fps games anyway. You can enable cpu jit in the options menu if you haven't already or disable sound for an fps boost.

Last edited:

Romulus

lol nope

TL;DR Switch running circles around the S9 while costing 1/3 and releasing way before. The Samsung S released before the Switch would be the S7 lol.

Passive cooling alone puts phones at a major disadvantage, especially GPU-wise.

It's more because Switch is a fixed platform when you make something for IOS you have to scale up and down and you lose customizable fidelity.

That Fortnite is as good as it is on Switch reminds us of the key advantages in developing for a fixed console platform.

With iOS and Android effectively delivering very, very similar results, the most fascinating point of interest is a comparison with Switch's mobile configuration. In technological terms, it has a whole host of disadvantages stacked up against the state-of-the-art Snapdragon 845 in our particular Galaxy S9+ example, while the iPhone X's A11 Bionic is - on paper, at least - even more powerful. Switch's Tegra X1 is a three-year-old processor and it's also downclocked substantially to a max of just 384MHz on the GPU when running undocked. With just three available ARM Cortex A57 CPU cores clocked at a paltry 1.0GHz, there's no way it should be able to compete. But somehow it does, and packs a few features that its mobile counterparts don't possess.

Phones are not dedicated gaming devices like Switch either, they're phones, people are already paying the money for them, so the cost argument is stupid when people own them anyway. Having said that, they still outperform Switch in key areas despite less optimization and not being dedicated gaming devices.

That Switch downclocked X1 chip is garbage in 2019. I'd love to see a Snapdragon 855 handheld build around gaming.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Those are 30 fps games anyway. You can enable cpu jit in the options menu if you haven't already or disable sound for an fps boost.
Not really helping, I get about 15FPS during cutscenes & 20 for gameplay. Might be because my Note 9 is the "international" version with Exynos rather than Snapdragon.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Given the leaps in tech with phones and the fact that they're basically surpassing the Switch in compute I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time some working emulators start making their way to market.

I'm pretty sure phones were more powerful than the Switch prior to its introduction in 2017. Keep in mind that the Switch was $300 at launch and your average smartphone is $800 or more.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Games like monhun4 don't run at the intended fps with the proper accuracy options (cos it's one of the games where reducing accuracy does result in tons of glitches and missing graphical elements) on my i7/gtx1080, how do they fare on mobile o_O

Stuff like OoT3D work fine in comparison but games that don't aren't rare or anything, popular stuff still don't.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't know...Happen often with "illegal" stuff...but i'm not an Expert..i have tried years ago to root the phone and was not a success...
You tried to root a phone to use playstation controllers via bluetooth?

Spukc

No but with cracked or modded apps instead of pay them yes,so i don't know if a 3ds emulator with Nintendo roms works or not without root
weird never needed to root android to do that
i don't use cracked apps tho i pay for em

Last edited:

nikolino840

weird never needed to root android to do that
i don't use cracked apps tho i pay for em
As i said happened years ago (like android 5.0 or 6.0) .i don't even Remember for What i have tried to root the phone...but i Remember there was lot of unofficial things with "root needed"

does this mean the Switch now run 3DS BC? Since Switch runs android.

Gotta be a special type of dumb to automatically equate emulation with piracy. A hacked console can easily rip games which is not stealing.
It's literally stealing but keep insulting people's intelligence over you liking to steal games.

Spukc

Emulation is stealing, at least from games that are still profitable and you don't own. It's no different than piracy.
Or you own 40+ 3ds games like me.
and you want to play them again looking better.

Stop assuming everyone that emulates is stealing FFS.

I am planning to emulate switch games in higher res too.
yet i own 2 switches, and have about 50 games for them.

go cry somewhere else
this emulation = piracy shit is getting old

Or you own 40+ 3ds games like me.
and you want to play them again looking better.

Stop assuming everyone that emulates is stealing FFS.

I am planning to emulate switch games in higher res too.
yet i own 2 switches, and have about 50 games for them.

go cry somewhere else
this emulation = piracy shit is getting old
It can get old for you, but that doesn't mean it isn't factual. You're in a minority.

It's not assuming when it's true, my comment wasn't referring to you, now, was it? Hundreds of games have released on 3DS and thousands of games will launch on the Switch, so that library isn't very convincing that you'll only be downloading games you own, at least to me.

I'm sick of so many PC gamers wanting to play profitable games for free.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Phones have surpassed the Switch even before the Switch was released.
This is correct, the thing that bottlenecks a phones performance is heat generation and energy consumption, strangely. In some sense, newer phones have hardware that probably will never be fully utilized due to those factors.

Vorg

Banned
It can get old for you, but that doesn't mean it isn't factual. You're in a minority.

It's not assuming when it's true, my comment wasn't referring to you, now, was it? Hundreds of games have released on 3DS and thousands of games will launch on the Switch, so that library isn't very convincing that you'll only be downloading games you own, at least to me.

I'm sick of so many PC gamers wanting to play profitable games for free.

There's a very clear choice for you in this situation. Be the change you want to see and don't install it. No one is stealing anything and your little meltdown won't change anyone's mind. Call a mod if you still feel this is breaking any rules.

Top Bottom