• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS eShop] The Rolling Western/Dillon's Rolling Western |OT|

I'm not really worried about myself, as I'm usually ambidextrous with most things, but I just think it's a bad precedence to set.

The stylus/slide pad combo is obviously what they are expecting people to use, so there is really no excuse to not include an alternate scheme for people that would find that awkward. And it shouldn't require the purchase of an extra peripheral either.

And considering that their top creative mind at the company is left handed, it's even more ridiculous.

I'm still interested in the game, but I'm just boggled by Nintendo's decisions on a constant basis.

dwu8991

Banned
If you can't write with you right hand, don't bother!

The game will really kick your ass otherwise.

The stylus is needed for the precision.

I'm not really worried about myself, as I'm usually ambidextrous with most things, but I just think it's a bad precedence to set.

The stylus/slide pad combo is obviously what they are expecting people to use, so there is really no excuse to not include an alternate scheme for people that would find that awkward. And it shouldn't require the purchase of an extra peripheral either.

And considering that their top creative mind at the company is left handed, it's even more ridiculous.

I'm still interested in the game, but I'm just boggled by Nintendo's decisions on a constant basis.

zroid

Banned
If you can't write with you right hand, don't bother!

The game will really kick your ass otherwise.

The stylus is needed for the precision.

I think I'm going to attempt to fashion a makeshift thumbstrap for games like this. Should work. I'll definitely need it for KI:U

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Are the reviews out there from just playing today or have reviewers had the game for a while? Seems like a quick turn around for reviews.

I'm interested in this, but the reviews are making me hesitant. Plus, I need to support Mutant Mudds first.

Wizpig

Put me on the disappointed bandwagon, if there is one.

Unfortunately the game is almost unplayable by left-handed people, at least in the way I want to play it. (i find the second level pretty hard because of my handicap)

I tried using the stylus with the left hand and the circle pad with the right hand in a way that's worse than every control scheme you can imagine, and i STILL played better, because i can do boost better (worst decision ever, you have to constantly boost with stylus strokes).

But of course this way i almost can't use the circle pad and/or L, so the only way to play it is stylus in right hand and... that's annoying.
Scratch that, that's terrible.

I don't know, maybe we should complain to NoA/NoE, ask for a "ABXY" patch, or a "CPP" patch.

What's worse is that the game actually looks like fun...

@Zeer0id: Kid Icarus supports CPP and ABXY for left-handed people

Foffy

Banned
Does anyone know how many areas are in the game? Assuming each area contains a heart piece, and that having all of them will give you 10 hearts rather than 5, there appear to be 15 areas.

Unless someone can explain how the treasure chests work. Someone I spoke to said that the first area never netted him a heart piece in either of the chests, but it did for me.

I played through the first village and I thought it was pretty fun. It's a pretty cool take on tower defense. They could have probably done this better without using the touchscreen to attack though. I think a button would have worked just fine.

For those who still don't know what this game is like, the game is split up into a few parts. The first part has you going out into an area outside town and collecting resources. You collect ore from rolling into deposits and some kind of onion looking things to feed pigs, which is what you're trying to protect inside the villages. You can also find treasure chests with things you can sell inside little treasure rooms around the map. Then you take your resources to town and sell the ore and feed the pigs to get more pigs and money from the ore. Then you take your money and repair, build, and arm the towers in the area around the town. At sundown, the rock monsters start rushing the town. So, you go around the area and get into fights (almost like in an RPG) and kill them. The other monsters will keep moving towards the town while you're fighting other monsters though, so you have to hurry. Your towers will also help you now, if you have guns on them. If the monsters get to town, they start killing pigs. If they kill all the pigs, you lose. If you kill all the monsters before they kill your pigs, you win the day.

Put me on the disappointed bandwagon, if there is one.

Unfortunately the game is almost unplayable by left-handed people, at least in the way I want to play it. (i find the second level pretty hard because of my handicap)

I tried using the stylus with the left hand and the circle pad with the right hand in a way that's worse than every control scheme you can imagine, and i STILL played better, because i can do boost better (worst decision ever, you have to constantly boost with stylus strokes).

But of course this way i almost can't use the circle pad and/or L, so the only way to play it is stylus in right hand and... that's annoying.
Scratch that, that's terrible.

I don't know, maybe we should complain to NoA/NoE, ask for a "ABXY" patch, or a "CPP" patch.

What's worse is that the game actually looks like fun...

Have you tried using your thumb instead of the stylus? Perhaps that would be easier?

zroid

Banned

I'm aware, but I don't have a CPP yet -- not going to get it especially for Kid Icarus -- and I'm definitely not going to use the face buttons for movement. Ick. I can't deal with those solutions anyway, because I'm too accustomed to using the left thumb to control movement. I can point just fine with the right hand, I just couldn't hold a stylus with it to save my life lol

In other news, it seems IGN quite liked the game. Not the same reviewer who had expressed dissatisfaction with it earlier though.

Wizpig

Have you tried using your thumb instead of the stylus? Perhaps that would be easier?
Yeah, I think the game for lefties is, impressions wise:

1) Goddamn it Nintendo
2) Wait a sec, i'll use my thumb... nope, it doesn't get every input
3) Goddamn it Nintendo
4) Waits for a patch / gets used to stylus in right hand

I'm getting used to the stylus... i'm probably going to scratch the screen badly and i'm never going to play like a right-handed (lol Nintendo, "games for everyone") but i CAN play it.

And it's fun.
I really like the game itself, other than the controls... you can see it's the Tingle RPG team here: not perfect, not as polished as EAD games, etc. but it's still good.
When you have to boost i usually stroke from top to bottom (like when you first charge the boost) because i find it easier than bottom to top - even if that's the way to do it.

Basically i "run" with blue sparkles every time.

tsab

I'm aware, but I don't have a CPP yet -- not going to get it especially for Kid Icarus -- and I'm definitely not going to use the face buttons for movement. Ick. I can't deal with those solutions anyway, because I'm too accustomed to using the left thumb to control movement. I can point just fine with the right hand, I just couldn't hold a stylus with it to save my life lol

In other news, it seems IGN quite liked the game. Not the same reviewer who had expressed dissatisfaction with it earlier though.

Me too. I tried using my right index's fingernail for Dillon's Rollin' Western (same problem with KI). It went ok. So I'll try something like this (although I do have a CPP)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/finger-stylus-for-ds-dsl-dsi-ndsi-ll-black-33314

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/unique-silicone-finger-stylus-for-nintendo-3ds-grey-6-piece-pack-57455

M3d10n

Yeah, I think the game for lefties is, impressions wise:

1) Goddamn it Nintendo
2) Wait a sec, i'll use my thumb... nope, it doesn't get every input
3) Goddamn it Nintendo
4) Waits for a patch / gets used to stylus in right hand

I'm getting used to the stylus... i'm probably going to scratch the screen badly and i'm never going to play like a right-handed (lol Nintendo, "games for everyone") but i CAN play it.

And it's fun.
I really like the game itself, other than the controls... you can see it's the Tingle RPG team here: not perfect, not as polished as EAD games, etc. but it's still good.
When you have to boost i usually stroke from top to bottom (like when you first charge the boost) because i find it easier than bottom to top - even if that's the way to do it.

Basically i "run" with blue sparkles every time.

What a fucking crybaby. I just tried using the stylus in my left hand (I'm right-handed) and I have zero problems whatsoever doing the broad swipes the game requires (which can be drawn anywhere in the screen). This is not House of The Dead and all you need to do is swipe in a general direction and tap the screen.

Me too. I tried using my right index's fingernail for Dillon's Rollin' Western (same problem with KI). It went ok. So I'll try something like this (although I do have a CPP)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/finger-stylus-for-ds-dsl-dsi-ndsi-ll-black-33314

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/unique-silicone-finger-stylus-for-nintendo-3ds-grey-6-piece-pack-57455

Let your right hand thumb nail grow enough so it reaches the tip of the thumb and you won't have to buy anything :)

Does the 3DS not come with a thumbstrap like the OG DS Phat? If not I'd get a hold of one as it worked well enough for me, even better than using stylus for most games.

M3d10n

I use my thumb on the open field daytime and switch to stylus for the battles. No hassle, no hoff.

I see no reason to use the stylus, since the lock-on is very generous. I can fight battles just find using the thumb itself, grease be damned.

NeoRausch

I see no reason to use the stylus, since the lock-on is very generous. I can fight battles just find using the thumb itself, grease be damned.
I like the precision somehow...but i got no problems with the game as southpaw.

and grease makes you go faster! *smears butter on screen*

zroid

Banned

Whoa, those look... interesting. The first one is kind of horrifying but I might just get it anyway. Why not, for $1.

Let your right hand thumb nail grow enough so it reaches the tip of the thumb and you won't have to buy anything :)

This is normally what I do to operate the touch screen, but for a game like KI:U where you need to consistently slide it around, it would be pretty awkward for me. It might be easier if you have slightly bigger hands, but for me using the pad of my thumb is much more comfortable.

Wizpig

What a fucking crybaby. I just tried using the stylus in my left hand (I'm right-handed) and I have zero problems whatsoever doing the broad swipes the game requires (which can be drawn anywhere in the screen). This is not House of The Dead and all you need to do is swipe in a general direction and tap the screen.
Did i ask you if you can play with your left hand or with your feet? not interested.

Sora thought about left-handed guys in KI Uprising
The Tingle RPG team didn't. their fault. not everyone can adapt easily.

Does the 3DS not come with a thumbstrap like the OG DS Phat? If not I'd get a hold of one as it worked well enough for me, even better than using stylus for most games.

No, the CPP comes with a wrist strap but no thumb strap. Dunno why they got rid of the thumb strap in later iterations of the DS.

Yuterald

Oh, the Tingle RPG dudes made this game? Tokyo EAD could have fooled me with this, it feels pretty fucking polished to me. In the second town, second day now and still enjoying it. I really like the combat in this game too. I love doing those air slash combos. They also introduced a new enemy type in the second town so I don't know where some reviewers are claiming that they don't mix it up a bit. The enemy database has like 25 different monsters and the new enemy I fought in town two was dashing around the screen, evading my attacks.

nron10

Neo Member
It's not so much as there aren't new enemy types, it's that most of them feel uninspired. You mention the gun guy, and I thought that was cool, but that type of new enemy proved to be more the exception than the rule when I played the game.

nron10

Neo Member
I'm really on the fence with whether to get this... Somebody make my decision.

I don't even like the game and I'd say just get it. $10 isn't a ton of money, and who knows, you might like it a lot. If you don't, well, then more people can back up my dislike of the game. :D

Wizpig

No, the CPP comes with a wrist strap but no thumb strap. Dunno why they got rid of the thumb strap in later iterations of the DS.
Worst decision ever :(
Just like when they removed the (fake) "Surround Audio" option with the DS Lite.
Only the first DS games had that in the options.
And of course every 3DS game.

By the way, dunno if someone already mentioned this, but the music in Rolling Western is pretty damn good!
I remember i hated some of the music and sound effects in Tingle RPG, on the other hand.

NeoRausch

Worst decision ever :(
By the way, dunno if someone already mentioned this, but the music in Rolling Western is pretty damn good!
I remember i hated some of the music and sound effects in Tingle RPG, on the other hand.

yeah i mentioned it. :3 it's REALLY good. italian western style, faster paced good. i love it

did i mention that i love the startup-screen and the way it works, also?

Cleared the first town with 3 stars. Damn, this is good. Why do reviewers hate this? I'm having a blast!

N-O-I-D-E-A! really, that this game get's pretty mediocre ratings baffles me.

Nekki

Damn the good games keep coming!

Gaf, I need help!!!

I want to buy a new game from the e-shop but i can't decide between:

Mutant Mudds
VVVVVV
Sakura Samurai
Dillon

I was going to get them in that order, but now i just don't know!!

NeoRausch

Gaf, I need help!!!

Mutant Mudds
VVVVVV
Sakura Samurai
Dillon

yes

EDIT:

ok, fo real now. what kind of stuff do you like? what kind of games you play the most? give us some hints!

Nekki

Ah sorry for being so general XD

Well i love platformers, so MM and V+ are good choices, but then again i do like time wasters like SS and Dillons.

I like something that is not eye-gouging hardcore difficulty though, even if i can deal with a game like that every now and then.

Codeblue

Well i love platformers, so MM and V+ are good choices, but then again i do like time wasters like SS and Dillons.

I like something that is not eye-gouging hardcore difficulty though, even if i can deal with a game like that every now and then.

I'm a huge platformer fan and I didn't like VVVVVV at all. I'm a minority in this though so keep that in mind. I didn't like Super Meat Boy all that much either so you should ignore my opinion if you did like Meat Boy.

Mutant Mudds is fairly difficult and completely bare-bones and oldschool a platformer(not a criticism).

VVVVVV seems in that vein as well.

Sakurai Samurai has interesting gameplay if a bit on the repetitive side but it's a really well made game.

I can't speak of Dillon but while I never thought as much of it as the others here, I'd like to play it one day.

I'd say Mutant Mudds is the safest choice on your list if not necessarily the best.

Happy to not help at all.

NeoRausch

Well VVVVVV i pretty hardcore hard. Dillon always takes some time...i mean i not really a "short burst"-game. and i have nooooo idea about sakurai samurai. maybe you ask this question in the official nintendo download thread?

Wizpig

Cleared the first town with 3 stars. Damn, this is good. Why do reviewers hate this? I'm having a blast!
Same here, i'm definitely not going to try 100%, 5 stars isn't easy.
The more i play it, the more i like it - glad i managed to adapt to the controls.
yeah i mentioned it. :3 it's REALLY good. italian western style, faster paced good. i love it

did i mention that i love the startup-screen and the way it works, also?

N-O-I-D-E-A! really, that this game get's pretty mediocre ratings baffles me.
Yeah, the only thing i don't like a lot is the formulaic formula (3 days etc, move on to the next, etc.) but i guess that's the only way to do a tower defense game - levels.

I love the character design btw, the bartender is the shit and i want Dillon at the very least as an assist trophy in Smash Bros. 4

ps. is this out in America yet?
pps. what about VVVVVV in Europe? i already played it on PC, but i'm curious. btw, it's a fantastic game.

zroid

Banned

Gaf, I need help!!!

Mutant Mudds
VVVVVV
Sakura Samurai
Dillon

Do you have Pushmo yet? If not: Pushmo.

Otherwise, I think Mutant Mudds is the best choice of the bunch. I loved VVVVVV, but consider getting it on PC instead... its system requirements are non-existent and it's a lot cheaper. Has more features too.

NeoRausch

I love the character design btw, the bartender is the shit and i want Dillon at the very least as an assist trophy in Smash Bros. 4

ps. is this out in America yet?
pps. what about VVVVVV in Europe? i already played it on PC, but i'm curious. btw, it's a fantastic game.

yeah the character design is superb. and what?! assist trophy? this guy needs to be a playable character. he would spin dash the shit outta sonic!
bartender and sales/dealer guy can be assists
and yeah it's out in america too.

about VVVVVV in europe.....we can only hope!...i want it!

Nekki

I'll just go ahead and get Mutant Mudds, it's a good game so there's no loss really.

And yes i have Pushmo, and i love it :D

Attaching my DS Phat's thumb strap to my 3DS was the very first thing I did.
:D
And it has a slot on both sides, so you can use it for either hand.

DGRE

Banned
I genuinely wonder if those criticizing the game have played many Tower Defense games.

Pretty much all of the things they are complaining about are actually staples of the genre...so it's not really a problem they specifically have with DRW, but the genre as a whole.

Top Bottom