• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Euro Event Thread [Update: GAF Impressions Inside]

dvolovets said:
Thanks for the impressions, jarosh. I wonder what the hell is up with Pilotwings. Practically everybody is having issues with the game's 3D...
I'd bet the game is designed to pop out of the screen a lot. Most 3DS games don't pop out at all (they sink into the screen), or if they pop out it's only a little bit.

Rich!

Dreamwriter said:
I'd bet the game is designed to pop out of the screen a lot. Most 3DS games don't pop out at all (they sink into the screen), or if they pop out it's only a little bit.

Pilotwings only popped out as much as the animated banners in the 3DS menu did for me. But maybe it's because you're trying to focus on more than one viewpoint, like the issues I had with Zelda?

jarosh said:
resident evil: mercenaries

it can't be overstated how amazing this looks. and not just in a shaders-fake-next-gen-fidelity sort of way. it's just really fantastic looking and runs super smoothly. textures, character models, lighting, particle effects etc. i was really impressed. and the 3d is excellent. again, this might be more due to the 3rd person perspective itself, which always keeps your character more or less on the same layer while everything else is noticably farhter away. since you're essentially looking into the distance the 3d just works perfectly here and adds great depth to the game. i really dig the gameplay and the weapon switching with the touch screen works well, but i don't think i'll buy a resident evil game that's essentially a glorified arcade mode of earlier games in the series. shame. but playing this demo at least made me hyped for revelations.

Yes! Awesome! : )

jarosh said:
- the black one looks so much nicer in person, holy shit

Double awesome!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Sounds like jarosh's impressions line up with Game Informer's regarding Steel Diver, which is too bad since it seemed like it could have been a unique diversion. Good to hear about the black color, though. I'm digging the blue right now, but I know I'll get tired of it in the future.

Regarding Steel Diver, depends on what you like. The side scrolling game is all about messing around with the various levers, sliders, and wheels to control your sub. That's just not going to be a speedy process, by design. You're trying to steer your sub quickly and accurately without crashing into anything. If that doesn't sound fun, then you probably aren't going to like the game.

I disagree about the 3D, though - I thought the side scrolling game had an awesome sense of depth to it, it really added to the game (I played at E3, where we only had the side scrolling demo).

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Alrighty picked up one of the Fujifilm 3D cameras off eBay for shit cheap, recording ahoy.

dvolovets

Judging by all the impressions that I've read so far, looks like I'm in for just SSFIV at launch. Kind of weird that the 3DS will be the first Nintendo console I buy without an actual Nintendo game. I may go for Steel Diver, but I'm not sold on it yet. It reeks of games like Yoshi Touch & Go, Warioware: Touched!, Pax-Pix, etc... launch window diversions, basically. None of those games had a whole lot of substance... BTW, I'm assuming that Dead or Alive isn't making it for launch. I'm definitely interested in that one as well...

jarosh

i got a press kit with a bunch of brochures, flyers etc. in it. and there was a dvd. it contains some high-res art, packshots and logos of games and the system itself that i hadn't seen anywhere else before. will probably upload some of it later.

but of most interest to the handful of swiss people on here is probably the map and the table of locations with 3ds kiosks. supposedly this will be the first time these will be available several weeks before the launch of a nintendo system (at least that's what they said at the presser)...

3dsmap2rxe.jpg

3dschizx7.png

Cosmonaut X said:
How so? If the slider can be used to quickly and effectively shift for different games, it puts the inconvenience almost on the level of changing the volume or adjusting the brightness on my TV when I play different games.

First impressions are everything in this market. If people have to focus their eyes and mess with settings to not get a headache when checking a 3DS on the shelf, they might reconsider or avoid buying it (especially when it comes to children).

jarosh

marc^o^ said:
What did you think of the blue version Jarosh?
well, once you actually hold it in your hands, it feels and looks like a really nice system, period. but the blue one just feels a bit cheaper because that weird glossy, spotted material/texture they used is much more noticable. and i'm not a fan of the resulting arbitrarily spotted pattern. i still have the blue one pre-ordered and won't change that. it's not a disaster or anything and i don't care that much about the color in the first place.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
First impressions are everything in this market. If people have to focus their eyes and mess with settings to not get a headache when checking a 3DS on the shelf, they might reconsider or avoid buying it (especially when it comes to children).

I really think you're overplaying the idea of "messing with settings" - there is a reason Nintendo went with a simple analogue slider to set a comfortable level of 3D. We're not talking about having to fuck about with an in-game menu, or some system setting buried deep in the OS - the control is sat right there on the casing, and it's going to be a case of simply sliding back and forth a bit to hit the sweet spot for a particular game.

I also think you're missing something that Edge - I think - hit on with their feature on the 3DS. People are going to be going in expecting to have to "work" for the effect - glassless 3D and similar illusions previously require concentration and re/defocusing - and I'm guessing that having to play with the slider a little will not be seen as much of an inconvenience and will be outweighed by the "wow" factor of a glassless 3D effect that doesn't require that kind of concentration. Could be wrong, but time will tell.

In promotional material, I definitely preferred the look of the all-black version, but in the flesh - the Aqua Blue model was gorgeous. There's something about some of the promotional photography that makes 3DS look bigger and not as pretty as it actually is.

Regarding Pilotwings, I definitely think there must be a variation in perception amongst people - because I thought it looked absolutely fine, even on the higher 3D volumes - but as with all the other games, I played mainly with the slider mid-way up. I was really pleased by Pilotwings, I expected it to be a very basic Mii game, leveraging the Wuhu Island thing purely because it would be cheap to do so, and shoehorning the Pilotwings brand in on top. It actually played like a Pilotwings game. My only concern now is whether or not there is enough difficulty and content to justify a purchase. It'd be nice if it had a couple of cool surprises, like those frigate-launched helicopter levels from the SNES game.

I would have liked to see a little effort go into maybe including an online multiplayer mode or something... imagine formation flying and/or co-operation using the various different craft, or maybe a dogfighting minigame or something..

So is Pilotwings a US launch title or not? If not, then there is not a single launch title i want. I will Gamefly Steel Diver, Ridge Racer and Super Street Fighter IV though.

mandiller

Dreamwriter said:
If it works we can get 3D videos of 3DS games on YouTube

You'd just get 3D footage of the 3DS unit itself. How will filming in 3D make you see the auto-stereoscopic screen in 3D? lol

Smiles and Cries said:
why does it seem like NOE has its shit together better than NOA for a change?

Wasn't handheld adoption greater in Europe? I think Iwata pointed out the UK as one of the places that quickly adopts new hardware as well -- wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a strategic emphasis on launching well in Europe.

mandiller said:
You'd just get 3D footage of the 3DS unit itself. How will filming in 3D make you see the auto-stereoscopic screen in 3D? lol
By using your 3D screen. Or anaglyph glasses. Or parallel or cross-eyed viewing. However we want.

Cosmonaut X said:
I really think you're overplaying the idea of "messing with settings" - there is a reason Nintendo went with a simple analogue slider to set a comfortable level of 3D. We're not talking about having to fuck about with an in-game menu, or some system setting buried deep in the OS - the control is sat right there on the casing, and it's going to be a case of simply sliding back and forth a bit to hit the sweet spot for a particular game.

I also think you're missing something that Edge - I think - hit on with their feature on the 3DS. People are going to be going in expecting to have to "work" for the effect - glassless 3D and similar illusions previously require concentration and re/defocusing - and I'm guessing that having to play with the slider a little will not be seen as much of an inconvenience and will be outweighed by the "wow" factor of a glassless 3D effect that doesn't require that kind of concentration. Could be wrong, but time will tell.

The 3D effect is not seamless, in most games you have to "work" a little to achieve it (see example about Pilotwings), and also the break of the illusion is a very nasty feeling, something that I don't recall ever experiencing in videogames before.

This may sound as criticism but it is not, i'm just wondering whether this may affect potential buyers. If I was a naive parent and experienced Pilotwings as I did in the event, I would definitely not buy it for my children, as the experience was eye-taxing

Kenka

jarosh said:
i got a press kit with a bunch of brochures, flyers etc. in it. and there was a dvd. it contains some high-res art, packshots and logos of games and the system itself that i hadn't seen anywhere else before. will probably upload some of it later.

You were in Bussigny too Jarod ? :lol

The 3DS was defintely interesting graphics-wise. I did not feel comfortable with the 3D to be honest, especially with Kid Icarus but the 2D action in itself is well worth the investment.

from the other thread :

I don't know how informative it can be but I was "lucky" enough to have a 3DS freezing in my hands today in the 3DS event organized today in Switzerland.

The amount of RAM contained in the 3DS is supposedly 64 Mo. It was written on the black screen that appeared right after the freeze.

I don't know if other people wrote the same info earlier in this forum. But it is a 32 Mo cut off the original 96 Mo seen on the first 3DS leak pictures.

mandiller said:
Do you not realize how the screen works? It is designed to send half of the light rays to one eye, half of them to the other eye. In theory if you put a 3D camera's two lenses in roughly the same place as two human eyes, each lens will pick up the image meant for that eye, thus resulting in a 3D video of the 3D content coming from the screen. And then you can set a flag when uploading to YouTube to set it as a 3D video, which gives all sorts of options for viewing it, including colored 3D glasses, crossing your eyes, etc.

jarosh

Kenka said:

The 3DS was defintely interesting graphics-wise. I did not feel comfortable with the 3D to be honest, especially with Kid Icarus but the 2D action in itself is well worth the investment.

from the other thread :

I don't know if other people wrote the same info earlier in this forum. But it is a 32 Mo cut off the original 96 Mo seen on the first 3DS leak pictures.
afaik the first event was yesterday near zurich, that's the one i was at. and i think you're not entirely correct about the 64 mb, but i already clarified in the other thread.

Kenka said:

from the other thread :

That was prototype hardware. It didn't have the final retail OS running on it (I would know, I had one crash on me myself and I was the first to note the RAM discrepancy actually!)

This just confirms that Nintendo have a 64MB + 32MB (for the OS) RAM setup in the 3DS since both devices ran the same demos.

Yoshi256

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
That's like the worst insult you could give a game. Are you being serious?

What's wrong about them? WaveRace Blue Storm was a good game f.e. They just didn't made any important games in the last eight years.

Turrican3

Went to the very first italian "3DS event" today, I was expecting tons of playable games and tens of consoles but... only 5 3DS available, and one was even charging its battery so I wasn't able to try something (I guess it was the camera-assisted Mii creator, but of course I can't confirm)

They only had: Super Mario Land (Virtual Console / GB), Dead or Alive, Zelda and Nintendogs+cats.

No Kid Icarus, no Ridge Racer, no Resident Evil... nothing. But hey, they gave me a free tshirt. Really Nintendo?! Really!?

Anyway... 3D effect is quite cool, I found it to be enjoyable the most on Zelda first, and then on Nintendogs. It feels really "natural", contrary to what I thought it to be; and it works well too, as long as you keep the console steady in front of you.

Analog stick is a nice surprise too, it seems more useful than the PSP one but don't expect anything near a traditional console pad's analog stick like the (IMHO) excellent one you can find on the 360 pad or on the nunchuck. It was enabled and working on the virtual console game, too.

Can't really say much more at the moment considering the poor amount of games available, I look forward for kiosks or whatever hopefully available in the near future with a wider range of games for us to try.

There are new trailers of Nintendogs + Cats, Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver up on the US Nintendo Channel now (along with an Okamiden Demo BTW!)

Didn't know where else to post it, so this thread will do!

moozoom

Just came back from a presentation event near Paris, and I managed to play some games I couldn't play the first time at the Louvre's event :

James Noir's Hollywood Crimes: (First time I heard about the game, and it was playable) This is a puzzle solving game set in the 60's, and it's could be an interesting diversion while waiting for the next Layton. The story is told with 3D videos and actors, the backgrounds & the characters are treated like paper cut outs and the presentation is nice. The game is more colorful than it may seem in the trailer and it reminded me of the FMV games of the 90's, and notably Psychic Detective which I absolutely loved at the time.

Kid icarus : I liked the graphics and the flying sections reminded me of space harrier (one of my favorite arcade game as a kid), but the first hands-on was a bit confusing ( I tried to tap the screen to shoot before finding the L button did that ). Even if I'm left-handed, I managed to play through the two demo levels, but I was never comfortable. I Tried to play with my right thumb and it was much better than the stylus, but sometimes it was imprecise. I think the best option for lefties will be to use a thumbpad like the one on the first DS... The full 3D effect is a bit distracting at times so I toned it down a little. Like the plane/jetpack in Pilotwings I didn't like when Icarus was popping out of the screen, but the canyon sequence in the 2nd level was fun in 3D. The "on-foot" sections were better than I thought from the videos, aside from the left-handed problems.

Ridge racer : Even if the graphics are disappointing, I really loved the gameplay and enjoyed the demo. This is the only demo I tried twice because I didn't get first place on the first time. I'm not an hardcore Ridge racer fan (the last one I played was RR4 and Rage Racer is my favorite) but it remembered me why I loved RR although I usually hate racing games. In first person view, the 3D effect is very cool even at max intensity (for all the other games I toned it down) The loading was not really annoying or particularly long either... If I get a 3DS later this year, I think I'll buy it.

Zelda : It's been a very long time since I played OOT, so I could see myself playing this port/remake. The inventory on the bottom screen is cool and it was nice to see the kokiri village with new textures and exploring the houses which are in full 3d instead of a flat image.

I wanted to try creating a Mii and playing with the menus, but it wasn't possible...

I also played another round of Street fighter (still quite good) and Nintendogs and cats are definitely really cute and fluffy in 3D... While scratching the back of the cat near the tail, he raised his butt to the camera with the tail up in the air like a real one would, and the animation is really perfect (I giggled like a schoolgirl). Also I loved the side scrolling level of Steel Diver, although I didn't really care for the torpedo / augmented-reality one.

Chao

There was an event on Spain, tried the console half an hour ago.

Pretty disappointed with it.

+The circle pad is pretty good, I expected a shitty PSP like nub and it is way better.
+MGS3 video was cool, I think it was the best 3D stuff at the event.
+The AR stuff was fun, it has potential.

-3D doesn't add much to the experience, and I wasn't able to find a comfortable level on the 3D slider on any game.
-The screens are pretty low resolution and games are a jagfest. Jaggies are even more noticeable with the 3D on.
-Games look more... solid? on 2D mode, when they are 3D they look dull, I don't really know how to describe this. Like you have a metal box on 2D and looks heavy and solid, but when you see it in 3D the fact that is a bunch of polygons with a texture on it becomes more noticeable and you can tell there's nothing solid about it. I don't know, maybe it's me.
-Blue 3DS looks cheap, black looks better.
-Stylus control is not cool anymore, had to play Kid Icarus without one and it was a pain in the ass.

Not getting it on lauch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
popped into Gamestation in Bristol this morning to ask about DSi -> 3DS trade in prices. They had a 3DS in store and let me have a play. Didn't have any games, so could only play with the AR stuff.

3D effect is odd. initially its a bit like when you switch 3D on with a 3DTV, you get an odd shimmering effect on the screen as it becomes 'translucent'.

Took a while to get into the sweet spot too. I think maybe AR isn't the best thing to use for a first time 3D experience, better to learn on something else and then try it. Also, the gyroscope is cool and everything, but if you've used a gyroscope game/app on iphone, then you'll just fling the 3DS around and lose the effect. moving around a central point while keeping it in line with your head is quite tricky really. Steel diver will probably be simpler as you are the centre of rotation, but with AR games you have to kind of circle strafe around the card.

So I wasn't 'wowed' but then I didn't get to play with any games. My local GAME said they're getting one in on Thursday, so worth checking your local GAME/Gamestation this weekend.

Top Bottom